PDA

View Full Version : Want a Ubuntu Lanyard?

Catsworth
March 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Hey Guys,

Further to my previous thread HERE (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388924), if I can get some Ubuntu lanyards made up would you be interested in buying any?

I've made a poll (hopefully) that allows you to choose how many you would buy (ranging from 0-5, and then 6+). I would also apprciate comments/thoughts on the following:

1. What style/design you would like
2. How much you might be willing to pay (including postage)
3. What sort of payment options you would need
4. If anbody has ever had any of these Lanyards made up previously (for events, corporations, etc) I would be particularly keen to hear of your experiences.

I'm thinking that they should be of the woven variety (last longer than the printed ones), that the background colour should be the Ubuntu brown, and that they should simply be printed with the Ubuntu symbol and the wording 'Ubuntu'. I don't know how much I would be prepared to pay per Lanyard, probably no more than £5 each but I might stretch to more if the quality was good.

I might need some help identifying the correct colour numbers, and mocking up the artwork, any assistance with that would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

igknighted
March 23rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
Hmm... what about a black lanyard with the red/orange Ubuntu logo and the words "Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings" (probably in orange as well) repeating?

Catsworth
March 23rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
Hmm... what about a black lanyard with the red/orange Ubuntu logo and the words "Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings" (probably in orange as well) repeating?

Sounds good, I like it.

I think I might either a) put the final design to a vote, or b) have some made up in different designs (gotta catch 'em all :D ).

DoctorMO
March 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanyard

You want to make ubuntu themed rigging? are we all sailing ships or are they for our shopping bags?

v8YKxgHe
March 23rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanyard

You want to make ubuntu themed rigging? are we all sailing ships or are they for our shopping bags?

hehe, no :P you put you're keys and other random things on them, keeps them safe I guess as well.

Spr0k3t
March 23rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
I threw down a 6+, but I want somewhere around 20 or so for the family. I'm going to order a slew of thumb drives and give them out as xmas pressies later this year. Each person in the family is going to get a custom disc complete with the latest version of their favorite distribution. The discs have gimped pictures of their faces and the logo of the distro. Here's the cool part, the discs are going to be professionally done images... no oddball paper labels or inkjet type print. Should be cool. I've already got some of the keys...

Yeah, I know... way ahead of the game... but I do this every year... saves my **** at the end of the year every time.

Oh yeah, black lanyard with orange/brown lettering would be fine. Keep it simple though, only go with two colors total (foreground, background) to keep the cost down.

Catsworth
March 23rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Anybody got the artistic streak necessary to knock up some artsist's impressions of what we want?

I'd do it but I haven't got an artistic bone in my body :)

Catsworth
March 28th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Ah well, worth a try I guess - can't justify the risk of ordering sufficient quantities of these to make them cheap enough to be worthwhile with the handful of responses so far.

Back to the drawing board I guess :(

dbbolton
March 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
* an ubuntu lanyard

sorry. it just botheres me.

Catsworth
March 29th, 2007, 09:12 AM
* an ubuntu lanyard

sorry. it just botheres me.

From: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/esliart.html

(Bold emphasis is mine)

"An" goes before all words that begin with vowels:
an apricot
an egg
an Indian
an orbit
an uprising

with two exceptions: When u makes the same sound as the y in you, or o makes the same sound as w in won, then a is used.

a union
a united front
a unicorn
a used napkin
a U.S. ship
a one-legged man

I pronounce Ubuntu as in You-bun-too therefore my use of 'a' is corect in this context.

If someone else pronounces Ubuntu as in Ooo-bun-tuu, or even sounds the U as in up, then they should use 'an' instead of 'a'.

dbbolton
March 29th, 2007, 12:05 PM
i've never herd youbuntoo, butt im shore that sum peeple ewes it like that. who nose whats write.

Spr0k3t
March 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
i've never herd youbuntoo, butt im shore that sum peeple ewes it like that. who nose whats write.

The informal bi participle secular non reference approach per infraction of segway:

* a(n) ubuntu seaman's rope.

Other than that, does it really matter?

Stew2
March 29th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Might have helped to include a picture of a lanyard for those of us who aren't really sure what one looks like. I immediately thought of a thumbdrive with a leash/lanyard on it and ubuntu on the thumbdrive :D.

Regards,
Stew2

Chemist
March 29th, 2007, 01:02 PM
i'd defo buy one, i'm always losing my keys!!

Catsworth
March 29th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Might have helped to include a picture of a lanyard for those of us who aren't really sure what one looks like. I immediately thought of a thumbdrive with a leash/lanyard on it and ubuntu on the thumbdrive :D.

Regards,
Stew2

With a bit of luck, like this. http://www.linuxisos.de/catalog/images/band_swl.jpg

Except:

1) this one has a printed deisgn, the ones I'm imagining will have the Ubuntu logo and 'Ubuntu' woven into the lanyard

2) they will be better colours, matched to the Ubuntu pallette

3) the will probably be slightly wider

Stew2
March 29th, 2007, 01:21 PM
With a bit of luck, like this. http://www.linuxisos.de/catalog/images/band_swl.jpg

Except:

1) this one has a printed deisgn, the ones I'm imagining will have the Ubuntu logo and 'Ubuntu' woven into the lanyard

2) they will be better colours, matched to the Ubuntu pallette

3) the will probably be slightly wider

Thanks. That actually looks pretty cool, wouldn't mind one myself if they weren't too expensive.

Regards,
Stew2

Catsworth
March 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks. That actually looks pretty cool, wouldn't mind one myself if they weren't too expensive.

Regards,
Stew2

How much would be 'too expensive'?

Keep in mind that these will be posted by me from the UK to wherever you are in the world.

So.....how much (total) would you be willing to pay?

Moeru
March 29th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I'd most likely buy 1 for myself. Haven't gotten to convert the friends and family over yet

dbbolton
March 29th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Other than that, does it really matter?

no, it doesn't matter. not to me, since i hate english.

why isn't this in the community market, anyhow ?

Catsworth
March 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
no, it doesn't matter. not to me, since i hate english.

why isn't this in the community market, anyhow ?

Because I'm not selling, I'm trying to gauge demand and find out if it's worth me having them made.

Any other complaints about the thread? ;)

queen_yoshi
March 29th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I put down 6+ as I would give them out to my clients that I have using Ubuntu at the moment, and mention that they have come about due to the awesome community that Linux has :)

Feenix3k
March 29th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I think it would be nice to have my usb thunb drives on one so I won't lose them

Also would be nice is a Ubuntu logo with the Panguin in the middle as a small sticker so I could cover over the M$ xp sticker

Stew2
March 30th, 2007, 12:19 AM
How much would be 'too expensive'?

Keep in mind that these will be posted by me from the UK to wherever you are in the world.

So.....how much (total) would you be willing to pay?

Sorry I didn't reply back sooner, I had to go to work :) . I think those would easily be worth 10 bucks but I think the postage would be quite high... although you could probably send them in a lightly padded envelope fairly inexpensively. Are they designed to wear around your neck or your wrist?

Regards,
Stew2

dbbolton
March 30th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Because I'm not selling, I'm trying to gauge demand and find out if it's worth me having them made.

Any other complaints about the thread? ;)

i'm good for now :)

i don't use lanyards, but if i were to buy one, i'd like it to bear the ubuntu logo.

Catsworth
March 30th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Are they designed to wear around your neck or your wrist?

Round the neck, I think they're usually about 18-22" long and half an inch to an inch wide. I want one for hanging my ID and building passes on at work.

Catsworth
March 30th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Also would be nice is a Ubuntu logo with the Panguin in the middle as a small sticker so I could cover over the M$ xp sticker

Like these?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=344600

InuyashaDuelist
March 30th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Mm, make sure to get some Kubuntu versions of these Lanyards made. ;)

Catsworth
March 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Mm, make sure to get some Kubuntu versions of these Lanyards made. ;)

Tee Hee :D

Having enough trouble working out the Ubuntu ones, without worrying about kUbuntu as well..... Maybe if these work out ok I can look at that next.

Looks like there's enough demand, just need to find the cash now and talk to the manufacturers.

Could do with a hand knocking up the artwork though, anybody any good at arty things and fancies putting together some pitures of what we want?

I'm thinking (as suggested earlier I think) a black lanyard with the Ubuntu logo woven in and then the words "Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings" woven along side. Text and logo to be in the brown pallette of Ubuntu.

If someone could knock up something suitable I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

dapaintballer331
January 5th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I really want one of these, so I designed it here. (http://www.800lanyards.com/fpreview.asp?ID=974)

It is white w/ orange letters & the ubuntu logo.

Black backgrounds w/ orange/yellow text are ugly imo. That looks like some halloween thing.

Minimum order is $200, so unless lots of people are willing to pay in advance, expecting to wait maybe 2 weeks, this isn't going to happen.

ONLY $2 EACH PER CUSTOMER. That means you can either overprice them, so they can be ordered soon, or also make a minimum order. $2 + shipping is really low.

uberlinux
March 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Whatever happened to this? Email me at pestonerasc@yahoo.com if this becomes a reality. I'd get one.