PDA

View Full Version : Imagemagick / Ghostscript: converting a pdf into a jpg

Jonne
March 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to write a shellscript that converts pdf-s into jpg's, but the jpg's i get as a result are pixelated. Is there a way to make sure I get jpg's with a decent quality? The source pdf's are A3-sized, and the jpg's I get are about 1035x1474, while I need them to be almost double that size to make sure the text is readable.

this is the command I use:

convert 1.pdf -profile EuroscaleUncoated.icc -profile /usr/share/color/icc/sRGB.icm 1.jpg

these are the versions I'm using:
Imagemagick 6.2.4
Ghostscript 8.15.4
the OS is Ubuntu Feisty

Is there a way to improve quality with a switch or something?

WW
April 6th, 2007, 04:25 AM
When converting to jpg, you can use the -quality option. The "best" quality would be -quality 100.

Jonne
April 6th, 2007, 06:44 AM
-Quality changes the quality of the jpg compression, after rasterizing. The problem is that I want jpegs of a bigger resolution, and ghostscript/imagemagick won't allow me (even with -density and other options i tried)

lazka
April 6th, 2007, 09:00 AM
try "-density 200x200"

edit: ok i didnt read you last post.. density is working fine here, tough.

Jonne
April 6th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for trying anyway ;) This thread has had no comments for weeks, and I still haven't found an adequate solution. Anyway, i've tried again, and it still desn't work. I think there's something wrong with how imagemagick interfaces with Ghostscript.

If I import the pdf in the gimp (I believe the gimp also uses gs internally for pdf conversion), I can set the resolution to whatever I want, and it works. The colours are all wrong, though, because I can't use a colour profile to convert the colours as they should.

I want to do it through the command line, because it will be part of a script that converts a bunch of pdf's into jpg's automatically.

i want to replace an existing program that runs only on Windows, and uses Photoshop for the conversion, because I don't want to:
1, depend on Photoshop & Windows
2, have photoshop take all the resources and screen estate while it's running

edit: I tried with Krita, and Krita gets both the colours right, and the resolution. Is there a way I could use Krita for this, without having it spawn its gui?

duff
April 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for trying anyway ;) This thread has had no comments for weeks, and I still haven't found an adequate solution. Anyway, i've tried again, and it still desn't work. I think there's something wrong with how imagemagick interfaces with Ghostscript.

Have you tried their mailing list?
http://www.imagemagick.org/mailman/listinfo/magick-users

WW
April 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
You can change the size of the output file with the -geometry option, e.g. -geometry 1600x1600 will ensure that the largest dimension is 1600 pixels (it will preserve the aspect ratio). I don't know if this will get you what you want, but it's worth a try. I tried it with a PDF file that contains just some text and equations, and it looked OK, but not great.

EDIT...
If I combine -geometry, -density, and -quality, it looks better. For example,

$ convert -geometry 1600x1600 -density 200x200 -quality 100 file.pdf file.jpg

Then file.jpg looks pretty good to me.

Jonne
April 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I think I found it, thanks to WW. Apparently it depends on the syntax you use. If you add the switches before giving the filename of the pdf, it will not ignore -density and such. If you give the filename first (like in the example I posted), Imagemagick will first rasterize the pdf, and only apply the switches afterward, thus giving degraded quality. to recap:
bad:
convert file.pdf -density 200x200 file.jpg

good:
convert -density 200x200 file.pdf file.jpg

thanks guys :)

itaylor
March 6th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Wow, I just wasted 45 minutes trying to convert a PDF to JPG using every imagemagick option I could find. The default resolution looked horrible. I finally found this post and the problem is solved. Thanks! I'm sure the information is there on the imagemagick website somewhere, but it sure isn't obvious.

ridgeland
March 14th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks WW
I used your command line.
Worked fine for me. I converted a one page pdf to a jpg.
I googled "Ubuntu pdf to jpg" and found this quick solution.

When I opened this jpg in the GIMP I saw that the GIMP can import pdf and then save as a jpg. Both ways worked. CLI or GUI.

danbar
April 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Yes the operation was successful for me too. I used the gimp. But now that I tried changing more than one page document I saw that only the first page was changed into a jpg file. Is there a solution for longer documents ?

Jonne
April 11th, 2008, 08:31 PM
you could use pdftk to split them first.

danbar
April 11th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Jonne,
Thanks for your time and patience. You wrote : you could use pdftk to split them first. Could you explain more how to go about it ?

Jonne
April 11th, 2008, 08:55 PM
basically you install pdftk (using synaptic or apt-get), then you use

pdftk mydoc.pdf burst
to split the pdf into multiple pages. After that you can run convert on the resulting single-page pdf's.

Read pdftk's manual for more info on its flags and stuff.

danbar
April 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
This is what the terminal gave me.....Error: Failed to open PDF file:
provapdfjpg.pdf
Done. Input errors, so no output created.

Jonne
April 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
i guess there's something wrong with your pdf, then :s . I've never seen pdftk fail (but that's not saying much, I rarely use it). Can evince or xpdf open it properly?

danbar
April 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Yes i opened it with Evince and it's ok !

danbar
April 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
By the way how can I open Pdftk ?

ridgeland
April 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Hi danbar,
I can get the same error if I do

pdftk nofile.pdf burst

What did you use? Full valid pathname?
You probably just need the full path name like
pdftk /home/me/myfile.pdf outfile

Also use
pdftk --help
to learn more
or
man pdftk

k8b
August 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
There is a muck simpler way to split multipage pdfs into a jpg:

convert -quality 100 -density 600x600 multipage.pdf single%d.jpg

The -density option defines the quality the pdf is rendered before the convert > here 600dpi. For high quality prints you can increase that number.
The %d just before the jpg suffix is for automatic numbering of the output pages 0,1,2...
The -quality option defines the compression quality of the output jpg (0 min ... 100 max)
The .jpg suffix defines the output format. You could use .png/.jpg/.pdf

On linux I recommended to use png files, because of patent issues of jpg's. If pdf output is used, the pdf will saved as an image.

Note: If you need to crop the pages add "-crop 1000x750+1450+150" between "convert" and "-quality"

modemlamer
November 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I think I found it, thanks to WW. Apparently it depends on the syntax you use. If you add the switches before giving the filename of the pdf, it will not ignore -density and such. If you give the filename first (like in the example I posted), Imagemagick will first rasterize the pdf, and only apply the switches afterward, thus giving degraded quality. to recap:
bad:
convert file.pdf -density 200x200 file.jpg

good:
convert -density 200x200 file.pdf file.jpg

thanks guys :)

thx man, u saved my day

dhjdhj
February 10th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I'm having a related problem --- I have a multipage PDF file which contains one image per page. I have tried using convert to convert that PDF into images (using the %d in the jpg filename) but I'm only getting the first page.

I have used convert in the past to convert multipage PDF files into a sequence of jpgs with no problem. Anyone know why this might now be failing ---