PDA

View Full Version : leaving for a while, at least

fuscia
March 23rd, 2007, 04:01 AM
a sudden disagreement over my avatar (the one i've had for at least six months) has put a really bad taste in my mouth. i may be back, eventually, but i'm pretty irritated right now. in my view, the avatar issue was just the tip of some unknown iceberg. it's been great, folks. maybe i'll see you again sometime, sooner or later.

:lolflag:

STREETURCHINE
March 23rd, 2007, 04:09 AM
a sudden disagreement over my avatar (the one i've had for at least six months) has put a really bad taste in my mouth. i may be back, eventually, but i'm pretty irritated right now. in my view, the avatar issue was just the tip of some unknown iceberg. it's been great, folks. maybe i'll see you again sometime, sooner or later.

so what was wrong with your avatar,

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
what?

say it ain't so!

Why would anyone have a problem with your avatar? It wasn't bad at all. That's pretty ridiculous. Kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth as well?

I hope you do come back soon, man. Don't let some idjit fool keep you away.

edit: I just received an infraction :)

I saw your thread in the resolution center. I have to say, I personally disagree, but it's better not to cause a big scene about it. It seems that the Administrators are watching this pretty closely anyways, since I got an infraction within a minute of my posting.

fuscia
March 23rd, 2007, 04:23 AM
i will be around for a little while longer to receive well wishes from my adoring fans. please don't cause injury to yourselves over little, ole me.

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 04:28 AM
:)

man it really is kind of hard to imagine what the board will be like without your quirky posts. And what will the monthly Desktop thread be like?

While I think the administrators are being a bit anal as well, I think it's also a little extreme for you to drop out of sight because of this. It'd be better, I think, if you let it slip and stuck around. Just my opinion, though.

yabbadabbadont
March 23rd, 2007, 04:36 AM
Why don't the two of you head on over to the Off The Wall forum at the Gentoo forums. No one is turned away and as long as you have a relatively thick skin, you should enjoy yourselves. The screenshot thread there is frequented by many ex-gentoo users as well as people who have never even tried it. You might even be surprised at the wide range of topics you will find. ;)

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 04:39 AM
Why don't the two of you head on over to the Off The Wall forum at the Gentoo forums. No one is turned away and as long as you have a relatively thick skin, you should enjoy yourselves. The screenshot thread there is frequented by many ex-gentoo users as well as people who have never even tried it. You might even be surprised at the wide range of topics you will find. ;)
the "two of us"? hey man, I ain't causin' no trouble :)

I've got no desire to leave the forums whatsoever. It's comfy. And I find it too hard to keep up with too many forums :)

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 04:39 AM
i will be around for a little while longer to receive well wishes from my adoring fans. please don't cause injury to yourselves over little, ole me.
where am i supposed to get quotes for my sig ?!?!?!?!

prizrak
March 23rd, 2007, 04:41 AM
NO!!! Don't go!!! You are weird I like that (no I'm not hitting on you).

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 04:42 AM
(no I'm not hitting on you).

i am.

wait...

yabbadabbadont
March 23rd, 2007, 04:45 AM
the "two of us"? hey man, I ain't causin' no trouble :)

I've got no desire to leave the forums whatsoever. It's comfy. And I find it too hard to keep up with too many forums :)

Who said anything about leaving. I assumed that there is enough of you to go around at least one more forum. :D

I usually have both open in tabs and jump back and forth between them. Occasionally I get confused when answering pleas for help though. That really confuses them. :lol:

FuturePilot
March 23rd, 2007, 04:45 AM
Don't leave! You've contributed so much to the community. But I guess you got to do what you've got to do. Best wishes:wink:

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 04:47 AM
Don't leave! You've contributed so much to the community. But I guess you got to do what you've got to do. Best wishes:wink:
lol! a plea to stay and a goodbye all in one line! that was priceless.

BarfBag
March 23rd, 2007, 04:51 AM
What exactly was the issue? o_O

FuturePilot
March 23rd, 2007, 04:52 AM
lol! a plea to stay and a goodbye all in one line! that was priceless.

I do weird things when it gets late:lolflag:

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
look at what google dragged in.

Henry Rayker
March 23rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
bye fuscia! Even though we've never had a discussion that I can recall, I do know that I enjoyed your posts. I actually really enjoyed the avatar hat thread idea. I can't believe something like this is happening to you, but if it were me, I'd probably leave too.

For the record (not that my opinion matters), I think this is probably one of the dumbest (if not the dumbest) act of forum moderation I've ever seen. fuscia's avatar has been around for quite a long time (there was even a thread about giving it a new hat quite a long time ago...and I recall a santa hat on it before that, even).

Additionally, maniacmusician's avatar is of a dead man who looks a little pouty...and he's really dead, not just an actress...(no hard feelings, maniacmusician, just pointing out a fact)

STREETURCHINE
March 23rd, 2007, 05:15 AM
bye fuscia! Even though we've never had a discussion that I can recall, I do know that I enjoyed your posts. I actually really enjoyed the avatar hat thread idea. I can't believe something like this is happening to you, but if it were me, I'd probably leave too.

For the record (not that my opinion matters), I think this is probably one of the dumbest (if not the dumbest) act of forum moderation I've ever seen. fuscia's avatar has been around for quite a long time (there was even a thread about giving it a new hat quite a long time ago...and I recall a santa hat on it before that, even).

Additionally, maniacmusician's avatar is of a dead man who looks a little pouty...and he's really dead, not just an actress...(no hard feelings, maniacmusician, just pointing out a fact)

very petty moderation indeed..

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 05:16 AM

i decided to change mine to an exquisite corpse (http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/abreton.htm).

Technoviking
March 23rd, 2007, 05:16 AM
No one needs to leave the forums. People do need to abide to the Ubuntu Code of Conduit and the Forum Code of Conduit. Some times the Forum's staff needs to have users change avatar to keep the forums family safe and work safe. What some people find ok, other people may find distrubing.

We can use this as an opportunity to improve the forums for the whole community.

Thanks,
Mike

johnc4510
March 23rd, 2007, 05:31 AM
I'm just wondering how a woman's face can be disturbing to others? I'm usually not one to get to involved in what I would call a polictical action, but this seems extreme to me. Especially concidering how much help fuscia has contributed to this forum. I have always found fuscia's imput to be quite helpful.

STREETURCHINE
March 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM
No one needs to leave the forums. People do need to abide to the Ubuntu Code of Conduit and the Forum Code of Conduit. Some times the Forum's staff needs to have users change avatar to keep the forums family safe and work safe. What some people find ok, other people may find distrubing.

We can use this as an opportunity to improve the forums for the whole community.

Thanks,
Mike

now without any malice how can changing the avatar in question improve the forums for the whole community.?

it depicted no graphic violence
no sexual inuendo
no nuditty

it was a very good black and white still of an asian ladies head,in it self a work of art.
how can this be constued as a strangled lady,there is no visible evidence to suggest of even prove this assumption,.

please enlighten me

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 05:34 AM

well, he's dead as in not alive right now, but he's not dead in the picture.

the issue with fuscia's avatar was that apparently it looked as if his avatar was the head of a dead woman that was actually dead in the picture(I never noticed such a resemblance).

For any who are interested, here's a link to a similar discussion that, from some perspectives, can be seen as related (not a flamewar, but a discussion; so keep it civil): http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=391229

I dunno what to make of this. as yabbadabadont says, things are getting a little weird.

Technoviking
March 23rd, 2007, 05:37 AM
I'm just wondering how a woman's face can be disturbing to others? I'm usually not one to get to involved in what I would call a polictical action, but this seems extreme to me. Especially concidering how much help fuscia has contributed to this forum. I have always found fuscia's imput to be quite helpful.

No one said fuscia does not contribute to the forums, and it would be shame he he left over this.

I imagine many women could find a image of a dead woman (or an actress made up to be dead) disturbing.

fuscia
March 23rd, 2007, 05:38 AM

an effort i'm sure we'll all embrace.

after the overwhelming outpouring of kindness shown to me by my fellow forum members, in many a thoughtful pm, it has dawned on me that i can't think of myself at a time like this. my community needs me. in that light, i will do my best to bury...uh, put this incident behind me and move forward with you all, if you'll have me. before we can begin our journey anew, though, i must leave you once again, for a brief moment (gotta you know what...).

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 05:41 AM

after the overwhelming outpouring of kindness shown to me by my fellow forum members, in many a thoughtful pm, it has dawned on me that i can't think of myself at a time like this. my community needs me. in that light, i will do my best to bury...uh, put this incident behind me and move forward with you all, if you'll have me. before we can begin our journey anew, though, i must leave you once again, for a brief moment (gotta you know what...).
lol, what, kill another woman for your sick, perverted avatars? ;)

On a more serious note, glad you're still here.

acorn22
March 23rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
I have found a (slightly altered?) copy of the image on the forums and tried to find something on google relating to it but "Woman's face" doesn't get you too far...

EDIT: Yay. Don't leave.

FuturePilot
March 23rd, 2007, 05:43 AM
i must leave you once again, for a brief moment (gotta you know what...).
Glad you decided to stay:-D

johnc4510
March 23rd, 2007, 05:44 AM
Well, call me stupid, but I never noticed that this was a dead woman, and I've seen fuscia's post everyday since June of 2005.

I wasn't hinting that fuscia didn't contribute, I was trying to make the point that he did.

johnc4510
March 23rd, 2007, 05:46 AM
Glad you are staying!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would have missed your special humor.

Technoviking
March 23rd, 2007, 05:52 AM
now without any malice how can changing the avatar in question improve the forums for the whole community.?

it depicted no graphic violence
no sexual inuendo
no nuditty

it was a very good black and white still of an asian ladies head,in it self a work of art.
how can this be constued as a strangled lady,there is no visible evidence to suggest of even prove this assumption,.

please enlighten me

The staff is allowed to make editorial discussions, and what what you see as art, others may see something else.

fuscia
March 23rd, 2007, 05:53 AM
lol, what, kill another woman for your sick, perverted avatars? ;)

dude, it was an accident! she ran right in front of my car.

I have found a (slightly altered?) copy of the image on the forums and tried to find something on google relating to it but "Woman's face" doesn't get you too far...

as far as i can remember, it was looking up something completely out in left field (it may have been 'olympic lifts' or something like that). i've tried to recreate it and can't find it anywhere. my biggest fear is that i'll finally figure out what movie it's from and it will totally suck. (the view of the other fellow's yard is best from the farthest corner of one's own porch.)

thanks again for all the kind remarks.

manmower
March 23rd, 2007, 05:55 AM

You caved in too soon, I was in the middle of typing up a huge post to beg you to stay. :p

But seriously, if what happened is that some member here suddenly claimed to have a problem with your avatar to get back at you for something else, then you would just be doing them a huge favour by leaving. A favour such a person would not deserve. Plus if the complaint was genuine it would have just been drama over nothing. Staying is/was the only right choice IMHO.

yabbadabbadont
March 23rd, 2007, 05:56 AM
I still say you should hop over to forums.gentoo.org and hang out in OTW. No one there will give a crap about what avatar you use or don't use.

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 06:01 AM
I still say you should hop over to forums.gentoo.org and hang out in OTW. No one there will give a crap about what avatar you use or don't use.
yeh sounds nice. People do tend to get a little tense over here. But I barely have enough time to cover this forum, and I imagine a lot of other people are like that too. Maybe.

I think I will take a gander though.

fuscia
March 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM

but, how long would it take me to compile my avatar over there? by the time i got done, she might really be dead.

yabbadabbadont
March 23rd, 2007, 06:04 AM
but, how long would it take me to compile my avatar over there? by the time i got done, she might really be dead.

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 06:16 AM
...move forward with you all, if you'll have me.

:guitar:

does anyone remember when my avatar was a santa hat-wearing caterpillar smoking a hookah ? for like three months after christmas ? i can't believe no one complained about that, in retrospect.

i miss that little guy.

johnc4510
March 23rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Why would I complain about that? HE HE HE!!!!

Bezmotivnik
March 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Just do as I do: Turn off avatars and sigs. It's like everyone on the forum gains ten to twenty IQ points...instantly!

yabbadabbadont
March 23rd, 2007, 06:49 AM
It's like everyone on the forum gains ten to twenty IQ points instantly.

Hey! (I resemble that remark). :lol:

fuscia
March 23rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
Just do as I do: Turn off avatars and sigs. It's like everyone on the forum gains ten to twenty IQ points...instantly!

dude, i'm trying to lose points. if i can get it under 150, i'll stop getting junk mail from mensa.

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 06:51 AM
oooo no way. you've probably seen m.musashi's thread on username/avatar forum psychology, and I love that affect. I like associating avatars to users and following the links in their sigs.

The slightly disturbing sensation I get when someone changes their avatar all of a sudden is cool as well.

fuscia
March 23rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
"hey, lady! can you put a bag over that thing?"

steven8
March 23rd, 2007, 06:58 AM
I hope my avatar doesn't offend anyone. It is a blatant image of a British gentleman raising his leg to expose his crotch area.

Glad you're not leaving, fuscia. Things have been gettin' kinda strange of late, haven't they. :(

Mykewl
March 23rd, 2007, 07:00 AM
I suggest putting a dead hat on a live person and see
how that works. Just an idea.

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
I hope my avatar doesn't offend anyone. It is a blatant image of a British gentleman raising his leg to expose his crotch area.

Glad you're not leaving, fuscia. Things have been gettin' kinda strange of late, haven't they. :(

Isnt that John Cleese , from that 70's TV show where they had the Ministry of Silly walks

yabbadabbadont
March 23rd, 2007, 07:05 AM
Isnt that John Cleese , from that 70's TV show where they had the Ministry of Silly walks

Yes and probably. :)

Edit: Monty Python's Flying Circus. (the original dead parrot sketch is the best. and strangely ontopic :D)

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Yes and probably. :)

Edit: Monty Python's Flying Circus. (the original dead parrot sketch is the best. and strangely ontopic :D)

I love those guys
I will have to hunt out some DVD's me thinks

aidanr
March 23rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
there's a dead person in maniacmusician's avatar, i find that offensive, down with this sort of thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FATHER_TED_Down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg) :rolleyes:

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
there's a dead person in maniacmusician's avatar, i find that offensive, down with this sort of thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FATHER_TED_Down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg) :rolleyes:
[sigh] read the whole thread, would ya? ;) As I mentioned before:

well, he's dead as in not alive right now, but he's not dead in the picture.

the issue with fuscia's avatar was that apparently it looked as if his avatar was the head of a dead woman that was actually dead in the picture(I never noticed such a resemblance).

For any who are interested, here's a link to a similar discussion that, from some perspectives, can be seen as related (not a flamewar, but a discussion; so keep it civil): http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=391229

I dunno what to make of this. as yabbadabadont says, things are getting a little weird.

And even if you don't take that into account, there's still all the conspiracy theories that he's hiding out in mexico ;)

yabbadabbadont
March 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM

At least read through the prior posts to the thread to make sure that your attempt at sarcasm is original. (it isn't) :lol:

Edit: Too slow.

yabbadabbadont
March 23rd, 2007, 07:19 AM

And even if you don't take that into account, there's still all the conspiracy theories that he's hiding out in mexico ;)

I'd hide out in Mexico too if I had had to deal with Courtney Love...

steven8
March 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
I see dead avatars. . .

fuscia
March 23rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
now that things have calmed down a little, the grim reality of searching for a new av has hit be like a sack of wet manure. god, i loved her...

steven8
March 23rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Would you like my crotch-revealing englishman?

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 07:27 AM
now that things have calmed down a little, the grim reality of searching for a new av has hit be like a sack of wet manure. god, i loved her...
i vote that you use the one i attached :D

afljafa
March 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
what?

edit: I just received an infraction :)

Lol - got me one of those yesterday over the RAV TUX thing.

aidanr
March 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM

At least read through the prior posts to the thread to make sure that your attempt at sarcasm is original. (it isn't) :lol:
:frown: bah, whatever, i just wanted to chime in to say it was stupid removing the avatar

fuscia
March 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM
i vote that you use the one i attached :D

you mean my old one? it's possible. i was thiking i might go with 'lipkid' for a while (special preview coming to a thread near you).

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
I like the Tux Avatars.
I am not creative so I think it makes it an easy choice for me

manmower
March 23rd, 2007, 07:37 AM
How about this cutie. Mind you she does have a few skeletons in the closet...

yabbadabbadont
You can never go wrong with a Lucy Pinder avatar. Perhaps the one where she is wearing the body paint US flag bikini? (perhaps not)

aidanr
btw if anyone doesn't remember the avatar and is wondering what the fuss is about, see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3949/)

floke
March 23rd, 2007, 08:22 AM
My avatar is based on a cannibalistic serial killer.
Should I be worried?

saulgoode
March 23rd, 2007, 08:24 AM
I have often wondered whether Hindus are offended by the Internet's denomination of avatars. Perhaps we should instead call them christs or buddhas.

afljafa
March 23rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Should I be worried?

Sure - I would.

Mines one of my favorite AFL footy players with a knife - for knifing things.

Henry Rayker
March 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
I'm glad to hear you're staying.

Mary Bell! Gotta make that my avatar.

OffHand
March 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM

Can I have your autograph?

:guitar:

Take care :)

P.S. There are some folks that are a really sensitive on these forums. Maybe they should go out and grab some fresh air every now and then.

OffHand
March 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
The staff is allowed to make editorial discussions, and what what you see as art, others may see something else.

Art is art. It is as simple as that. It MIGHT not be appropriate art to use as an avatar on this forum but nevertheless it is art.

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Should I be worried?
I think we can move on from that now

mips
March 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
How about this cutie. Mind you she does have a few skeletons in the closet...

Next you know he will be branded a pedophile...

STREETURCHINE
March 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
I think we can move on from that now

still seems to be a few more miles left in it yet,
nothing like a bit of controvosy to stir up the masses,

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
As Captain Mainwaring used to say to Corporal Jones . I think we are in the realms of fantasy now.

So I think we will close off now