PDA

View Full Version : My fear of the worst for open source.. is it possible?

WalmartSniperLX
March 23rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
I was thinking about the near future and where Linux (and other *NIX) would be at that point. Because Linux is open source, a lot of developers work by donations, and not nessecarily donations of money, but time. With that in mind, do you ever think since Open Source isn't always backed by a large corperate entity that maybe it might just die out?

I have high doubts about this happening but it would really be a shame and very sad. Im also in progress of learning Python and soon many other programming languages in hope to make my mark on opensource. I love *NIX in general and would hate to see it fail.

Please know Im not trying to predict anything, but just thinking of a worst case scenario for the future.

IYY
March 23rd, 2007, 03:33 AM
Actually, dying out due to lack of funding is the worst fear of closed-source projects, not open-source. The whole point of open-source is that the projects never die, but keep being developed by enthusiasts, backed not by one, but by many companies. It's much safer.

Remember that the period in which Linux was developed most intensely was when it had no funding at all!

TBOL3
March 23rd, 2007, 03:36 AM
My friend, as long as you, or anyone else cares, it probably won't die out. The day (if it ever comes) no one cares about Microsoft, it will die out. So what I'm saying is, if Linux does die out, you really won't care.

H.E. Pennypacker
March 23rd, 2007, 03:38 AM
Actually, dying out due to lack of funding is the worst fear of closed-source projects, not open-source. The whole point of open-source is that the projects never die, but keep being developed by enthusiasts, backed not by one, but by many companies. It's much safer.

That's exactly it!

Someone will move on, but another person will pick up on it. That is how things never end. Proprietary software does not allow for others to continue the work.

cowlip
March 23rd, 2007, 03:47 AM
If someone hates/wants to improve how Linux works, if they're a developer they can just start hacking on it. If they're not a developer, they can pay someone else to start hacking on it :)

daynah
March 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
Tell me darling, do you obsess harder on something when you love doing it or when you're getting paid to do it?

Currently, I love researching and learning about cognitive neuropsychology. But I know once I get my degree in it and I become a researcher and I get paid to do it... I'm not going to like it near as much.

When someone tells you to do something, you're slower, less into it, a bit sloppier, less proud of your work. Surely you've experienced this before.

WalmartSniperLX
March 23rd, 2007, 05:00 AM

Remember that the period in which Linux was developed most intensely was when it had no funding at all!

I never really thought of it that way. I understand the principals of open source and how more people are available to work on it since you dont need to be working for any single corp to produce something great. But, for some reason I failed to think about the fact that since Linux is opensource, there will always be generations of people there who will come and go to continue working on it. thanks

If someone hates/wants to improve how Linux works, if they're a developer they can just start hacking on it. If they're not a developer, they can pay someone else to start hacking on it :)

thats true too :D I also think if you arent a developer you can also help by giving support (like you and everyone else is doing on this forum) or donating money to needing projects

Tell me darling, do you obsess harder on something when you love doing it or when you're getting paid to do it?

Currently, I love researching and learning about cognitive neuropsychology. But I know once I get my degree in it and I become a researcher and I get paid to do it... I'm not going to like it near as much.

When someone tells you to do something, you're slower, less into it, a bit sloppier, less proud of your work. Surely you've experienced this before.

This couldnt have been said better. Its so true! But not just about Linux, but life :) And, as long as Linux continues to inspire people, and teach for that matter (I learned so much in Linux because its free. In fact I probably wouldn't even know about Python if I never switched, sadly to say), It can never die out. Then again for MS, who knows, but I guess now with all this input that I have I can say that Linux will be around for a lot longer, especially when the developers are free to go as far as their imaginations limits :)