PDA

View Full Version : I hope we're not all geeks.

H.E. Pennypacker
March 23rd, 2007, 03:17 AM
Seriously, Linux has a problem with being associated with geeks. Watch all those online videos that make fun of Linux users. They're always described as being geeks.

I can't really hate on all the geeks for using Linux, because I am one of them, but their use of Linux is hurting open source software ideals. If mostly cool people used Linux, do you know how widespread open source software would be?

Uh, the dilemma. The only question now is how to promote open source software to cool people. We need to recruit them. Also, we need to get rid of geeks (what an irony), or at least have the geeks try to pretend they're cool. They'll probably fail at it, but it's worth trying.

I'll get started on an email to Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and David Beckham. Know of any other cool people? Let me know.

saulgoode
March 23rd, 2007, 03:48 AM
I'll get started on an email to Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and David Beckham. Know of any other cool people? Let me know.

Ooh, could you give me Johnny's e-mail address. I just bought another hardrive and controller so I want to convert my software RAID0 over to hardware RAID5 and I'm sure Johnny is just the person to tell me how I should repartition things.

dracomordag
March 23rd, 2007, 03:51 AM
well, i know i'm the coolest person ever, and i use ubuntu

is that a start?

Polygon
March 23rd, 2007, 03:58 AM
is this a joke post or are you being serious?

SonicSteve
Seriously, Linux has a problem with being associated with geeks. Watch all those online videos that make fun of Linux users. They're always described as being geeks.

I can't really hate on all the geeks for using Linux, because I am one of them, but their use of Linux is hurting open source software ideals. If mostly cool people used Linux, do you know how widespread open source software would be?

Uh, the dilemma. The only question now is how to promote open source software to cool people. We need to recruit them. Also, we need to get rid of geeks (what an irony), or at least have the geeks try to pretend they're cool. They'll probably fail at it, but it's worth trying.

I think your being serious but this made me laugh. First define geek. Then you have a fighting chance.
Has a geek;
-ever played sports?
-ever been on a date?
Do geeks;
-inherently like all things space related?
-know calculus?
OK so I'm having a bit of fun with this one.
I didn't build my first computer till I was 26. I knew DOS at an early age, but I also played hockey and baseball. I don't wear glasses or pocket protectors. Am I a geek? I really don't know. I don't know if I care.

Linux does have an image crisis though. It always has. Image does matter sometimes but changing it would require some major league $$$ and an add campaign even cooler than the MAC has going.

I forgot to mention that these days I do know computers very well. I don't know everything, but more than 99% of world. The upper 1% are all geeks. Ha just kidding.

euler_fan
I say geeks are cool! ;)

More seriously, IMHO, the best place for linux to get more users is not celebrity endorsements, but average users being exposed to it and finding it approachable and usable (I know that is really hard to define, but bear with me). I tend to see pop culture as a distorted mirror of society, and so as linux becomes mainstream, it will creep into pop culture slowly but surely and slowly leave the "geeks only" image behind.

Then again, I think there will always be a distinction in the linux world between the geek and non-geek segments of the user population. I am definately geeky (a math major), but in the linux world probably a gifted novice. I doubt I will ever be in CLI more than a GUI or writing shell scripts to get things done.

mac.ryan
March 23rd, 2007, 04:02 AM
On my opinion, there is a mistake in the analysis, and this is to see "geekness" and "coolness" as extremes of the same axis. IMHO, they belongs to two different continuums:
geeks - technologically challenged
cool people - boring peopleMark Shuttleworth, Richard Stallman, Tim Barners-Lee, Linus Torvalds are - IMO - both geeks and cool, for example. ;)
Steve Jobs or the two guys from Google might be considered cool from others as well.

Additionally, I see two other problems:

The problem #1 is that many boring geeks, see things the same way of your original post, so that the simple idea of becoming cool never makes it to the level of a self-reflected action plan... :)

The problem #2 is that coolness tends to be assessed by the level of success of a person, while in my opinion it should be measured on the level of enjoyment people would have in spending time with them (Brad Pitt, because is an actor, will all the time be more successful than a system administrator...)

euler_fan
March 23rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
On my opinion, there is a mistake in the analysis, and this is to see "geekness" and "coolness" as extremes of the same axis. IMHO, they belongs to two different continuums:

geeks - technologically challenged
cool people - boring peopleMark Shuttleworth, Richard Stallman, Tim Barners-Lee, Linus Torvalds are - IMO - both geeks and cool, for example. ;)

The problem, is that many boring geeks, see things the same way of your original post, so that the simple idea of becoming cool never makes it to the level of a self-reflected action plan... :)

Well put! I agree that there are doubtless many geeky people who simply don't care about being "cool" in the mainstream sense of the word.

One other bonus is that we tend to lump together (if by profession if nothing else) and so our standard of cool is also the one we create for ourselves. Of course, we are still not always cool by mainstream standards, but definitely cool by the standard that really matters--our own.

elephant007
March 23rd, 2007, 04:15 AM
IMO
Geek = a computer expert or enthusiast. Geeks can be athletic, sexy, smooth talkers, good looking, smart, funny, understanding, go on dates, cook, extremely good hand/eye coordination, usually trendy and converse with real people in real situations face to face. Basically an "ordinary person" with social skills.

Don't confuse GEEK with NERD

NERD = intellectual person without any or minimal social skills who has nonsocial hobbies. Doesn't keep up with the latest trends, clumsy, un-athletic and will shy away from social gatherings or events unless it is associated with their 'nonsocial' hobbies...

I also think that people tend to think that Linux are for computer geeks (or nerds) because they don't actually know anything about Linux to make an informed decision. And because they think that Linux are only for computer geeks (or nerd) they do not take the time or effort to find out for themselves. Too bad the Linux doesn't have the backing of a multi-billion dollar company that could through out some massive marketing schemes to inform computers users that there are more viable options available to them..

IYY
March 23rd, 2007, 04:21 AM
Don't you know that geeks have been cool for the past 10 years or so? They make the most money, have the hottest girlfriends, ride nice cars or motorcycles to their jobs (often with a flexible schedule), they control the internet... Geeks are cool.

Geeks also made Linux for themselves... Why would they be interesting in changing their own operating system to stop appealing to themselves and start appealing to people who don't use Linux, and probably wouldn't start using it even if they made the changes?

savagenator
March 23rd, 2007, 04:26 AM
i consider myself geek, but only in the last year. Before that i didn't know how to be social and all i could talk about was computers computers computers.

Now all i talk about it computers, social structure, politics, girls, and a few other stuff.

But i still dont have a date :(

some_random_noob
March 23rd, 2007, 04:29 AM
Good thread, I don't think its true though. Am I a geek? **** no! I use Linux and also do a dualboot with XP - but I never use XP. I do programming when I have the time, but currently I'm doing an IT course. There's nothing nerdy about people who like technology. Ok there is, but its not always true. Take me for example :D

http://file025b.bebo.com/11/mediuml/2007/02/21/07/2980410020a3676233698b797322416ml.jpg

... I don't look nerdy, but yes I do have an interest in computers and all of that stuff, just not an obsession. I don't consider myself a geek, I admit that I spend all day on the computer but only because there's nothing else to do. I've fixed Linux all by myself, got my refreshrate working, my dvd drive and my external modem. It was too easy. If Linux has an image problem, then don't blame me. I've managed to be called cute a few times by 13-14 yearold girls, but then again they probably just like manipulating me because I smile too easily :( ... hmmmmmmm.

People are just too bloody stupid to try Linux. They're like "oh, command line. run away!" and don't try. They hear stereotypes and *bang* they've decided. People are just stupid: they generalize and give up on things like Linux because they think they're (they're=the person) "not geeky"... I mean, who on earth would use a command line!!! You don't use one in windows, and I'm used to windows!!!1 linix is for g33ks!

end sarcasm.

Just wait until microsoft drives everyone insane, then we'll introduce linux to the average person (I baggs introducing hot girls!)

slimdog360
March 23rd, 2007, 05:28 AM
Ooh, could you give me Johnny's e-mail address. I just bought another hardrive and controller so I want to convert my software RAID0 over to hardware RAID5 and I'm sure Johnny is just the person to tell me how I should repartition things.

that sounds more like a paris hilton job to me

slimdog360
March 23rd, 2007, 05:31 AM
Good thread, I don't think its true though. Am I a geek? **** no! I use Linux and also do a dualboot with XP - but I never use XP. I do programming when I have the time, but currently I'm doing an IT course. There's nothing nerdy about people who like technology. Ok there is, but its not always true. Take me for example :D

http://file025b.bebo.com/11/mediuml/2007/02/21/07/2980410020a3676233698b797322416ml.jpg

... I don't look nerdy, but yes I do have an interest in computers and all of that stuff, just not an obsession. I don't consider myself a geek, I admit that I spend all day on the computer but only because there's nothing else to do. I've fixed Linux all by myself, got my refreshrate working, my dvd drive and my external modem. It was too easy. If Linux has an image problem, then don't blame me. I've managed to be called cute a few times by 13-14 yearold girls, but then again they probably just like manipulating me because I smile too easily :( ... hmmmmmmm.

People are just too bloody stupid to try Linux. They're like "oh, command line. run away!" and don't try. They hear stereotypes and *bang* they've decided. People are just stupid: they generalize and give up on things like Linux because they think they're (they're=the person) "not geeky"... I mean, who on earth would use a command line!!! You don't use one in windows, and I'm used to windows!!!1 linix is for g33ks!

end sarcasm.

Just wait until microsoft drives everyone insane, then we'll introduce linux to the average person (I baggs introducing hot girls!)

I'll let you down easily here, yes you do look like a geek. Thats not an insult but rather a compliment so dont get worked up over it. Hay, even I look like a geek.

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 06:37 AM
I'll let you down easily here, yes you do look like a geek. Thats not an insult but rather a compliment so dont get worked up over it. Hay, even I look like a geek.
word.

in response to the title, which is admittedly pretty much all i read, i hope that we all are geeks.

D!mon
March 23rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
well there are right places to check: http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_cg.php and http://www.innergeek.us/geek-test.html ;)

macogw
March 23rd, 2007, 07:44 AM
-know calculus?

Practically everyone in the US over the age of 20 knows calculus....er well, and under 40. You can't graduate college without taking at least single variable calculus, and it's rather common to take single variable calculus in high school. I took it in 11th grade, and so is my brother. Difference is, he's taking Calc 2 senior year and I quit after Calc 1.

kratos1963
March 23rd, 2007, 07:45 AM

Hmmm.... geek I can live with. I just hope no one finds out i'm a **** :lolflag:

adam.tropics
March 23rd, 2007, 07:48 AM
Hmmm.... geek I can live with. I just hope no one finds out i'm a **** :lolflag:

Priceless!

Scarlett
March 23rd, 2007, 07:50 AM
Every time the idea of spreading the gospel of Linux and world domination comes up I have to stop and think.... why? Why is this desirable for the developers, the users and most especially, the knowledgeable people who patrol boards like this answering the same questions over and over again?

The people who need to know about a platform where you can tinker, experiment and contribute, either already know about Linux and OSS or will find their way here eventually. The users that value security, freedom and customization will migrate soon if they haven't already. Those are the people who support others, add value and pursue greater stability, operability and ease of use. Some see value in what has already been created and support it by sharing their experiences, lessons learned and tips and tricks. Some commercial ventures even find value in contributing money and the time of their programmers because they realize that what they get back is greater than the initial offering. It works because the ratio of contributers to leeches is narrow. It works because the majority of people who have found themselves in this community, in whatever capacity, know they are outside the mainstream, take pride in that, and are willing to invest time and effort necessary to make it work and keep it running.

The last thing it needs is to be over-run by people who don't care, don't contribute and suck up the energy with demands but no input, no willingness to learn and no appreciation for all the time and effort that goes into maintaining this community. They want tools that they are familiar with and they want it to work with no effort and when it doesn't they want to bitch and moan to someone until it does. And that's exactly what would happen if it suddenly became popular with the masses. Let them have their proprietary software, their warranties and their instant phone support. They deserve what they have to pay for.

The only question now is how to promote open source software to cool people. We need to recruit them. Also, we need to get rid of geeks (what an irony), or at least have the geeks try to pretend they're cool. They'll probably fail at it, but it's worth trying.

I used to be a cool person but I've turned into a geek-in-training. Does that count? :mrgreen:

floke
March 23rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Linux is damn sexy already.
Haven't you seen this...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2340518#post2340518

macogw
March 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Don't you know that geeks have been cool for the past 10 years or so? They make the most money, have the hottest girlfriends, ride nice cars or motorcycles to their jobs (often with a flexible schedule), they control the internet... Geeks are cool.
There are women who go after geeks entirely because of that "great pay" thing. I go after geeks because I like computers too much for that not to be a common interest.

Geeks also made Linux for themselves... Why would they be interesting in changing their own operating system to stop appealing to themselves and start appealing to people who don't use Linux, and probably wouldn't start using it even if they made the changes?
I, for one, would like others to use Linux because it lowers the amount of zombie bots that are sending spam at my inbox.

i consider myself geek, but only in the last year. Before that i didn't know how to be social and all i could talk about was computers computers computers.
I heard it's "you're not a geek until someone whom you consider a geek calls you one." I agree. I don't care how many times family members or coworkers say I'm a geek, I'll be a geek when my boyfriend (hacker...the good kind, he writes drivers) considers me one. Until then, I'm a techie. Though when we were playin around he went "I got a hotchick" and I laughed and said "I got a geek!" he said "yeah, but my hotchick's a little bit geeky" so I guess "a little bit geeky" is the closest I get. He flat out said I'm not a geek yet (but he's willing to train me...teaching me drivers as soon as I finish studying C!)

karellen
March 23rd, 2007, 07:59 AM
how do you define "cool people"? what do you mean by that? is there a prototype/stereotype?

mac.ryan
March 23rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
...It works because the ratio of contributers to leeches is narrow. It works because the majority of people who have found themselves in this community, in whatever capacity, know they are outside the mainstream, take pride in that, and are willing to invest time and effort necessary to make it work and keep it running.

The last thing it needs is to be over-run by people who don't care, don't contribute and suck up the energy with demands but no input, no willingness to learn and no appreciation for all the time and effort that goes into maintaining this community. They want tools that they are familiar with and they want it to work with no effort and when it doesn't they want to bitch and moan to someone until it does. And that's exactly what would happen if it suddenly became popular with the masses. Let them have their proprietary software, their warranties and their instant phone support. They deserve what they have to pay for.

I disagree from that.

I think the need of spreading linux is exactly in relation to the need of changing the attitude of more and more users from being "consumers" to be "participants".

This is why - for example - I like Ubuntu the most amongst the various distro; because i can feel here (and on any other ubuntu-related project) there is a "cultural project" that goes beyond "getting the box hacked".

True, there are flocks of just-converted users who post messages like "I press the button and I got a question to answer on the screen. Windows would have answered for me: help, linux does not work!"... but cultural changes take time to happen, it is not because you finally decided to step in the cockpit of an airplane, than you automatically know how to pilot it! :)

These new users got however normally answered, helped, supported and encouraged in ubuntu forums... and eventually their autonomy in putting themselves the right questions, looking for answers, teaming up with other users with similar problems will develop.
You can even understand from some of this newcomers' grateful answers that the average attitude on the ubuntu forums is much more effecting their vision on free software (and therefore on freedom itself) than having the latest 256 bit exa-core alpha-version linux kernel image installed 2 years before Micro$oft even think about using those CPU features.

There is - IMO - a urgent, burning, compelling need in society for mass (ri)education about freedom: people need to (re)learn that freedom is a right, not a commodity. I believe the free software movement in general and ubuntu in particular are doing much more for this cause than the average politicians, media and educators.

Mind does not work by waterproof compartments. I believe that if one is available to give up their (software) freedom for the (commercially-ensured) "security", you will be more keen to replicate the same scheme in other fields of life, for example giving up freedom (ensured by civil rights) in change of (military ensured) security.

To put it like Stallman does, free software is ultimately not about software. It is about freedom.

Tomosaur
March 23rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
I'd rather be dead than cool.

Oh, and I agree a bit with sentiments expressed above. However, instead of rejecting newcomers who want to use Linux - we need to engender a cultural shift in the newcomers, so that they recognise that everything they're using is created from the efforts of thousands of people - many of whom are completely unrewarded financially for their time. We need to make sure that people understand this, and thus they need to treat the developers with respect, like any other human being. Unlike propietary development - there's no real contract between the supplier and the customer. Although I'm sure many people feel the need for accountability, and SOME kind of agreement, it's not the same professional contract you get when you buy a licence for, say Windows. Most developers are willing to maintain their software, fix bugs, respond to user feedback etc, but (at least for the software created entirely by volunteers), the users should also understand that the software they are using is not 'owed' to them - and nor is the developer's time. Only by working together and being respectful of each other can we maintain the current growth of Linux as a platform.

SonicSteve
March 23rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
I also think that people tend to think that Linux are for computer geeks (or nerds) because they don't actually know anything about Linux to make an informed decision. And because they think that Linux are only for computer geeks (or nerd) they do not take the time or effort to find out for themselves. Too bad the Linux doesn't have the backing of a multi-billion dollar company that could through out some massive marketing schemes to inform computers users that there are more viable options available to them..

I tried linux for one main reason. All my life I knew DOS/windows. I considered myself to be an expert in that area. Sure I didn't know everything but enough to be an expert. Linux though was a mental hurdle, a challenge. I had been avoiding it for so long that I almost convinced myself that it was too difficult to learn and that I shouldn't bother. A year ago last November dowloaded Turbo linux. The name sounded cool. I hated it and wow did it run slow on a P2 400mhz. It almost cemented the deal that Linux was bad. Then for some reason a year ago last January I found Ubuntu (top of distrowatch). I installed it from the alternate CD. It used terms I was mostly familiar with and installed well. Most importantly it ran well even on a P2 400mhz.

I jumped the hurdle and I imagine that there are many DOS/windows experts who have a mental block of pre-suppositions about Linux.

darrenm
March 23rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Simple explanation:

Everyone has a finite amount of time in between working, sleeping, eating etc.

If someone spends a lot of that time learning how to code, learning Linux etc then thats less time interacting with other people and developing social skills.

Therefore as a general rule geeks have little or no social skills and can't interact with other people very well.

TheMono
March 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Beryl is infinitely cool...

Sunshinelive
March 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
cool ppl are ppl who dare to use linux, ppl that love a challenge. took some time for me to get enough curage together to try it but i'm here so i'm cool ^^ :P

geeks? hmm geeks are ppl that are afraid of girls, but their not gay. they hide behind their pc acting cool but in real life are scared of human contact and socially incompetent. :-({|=

just my view on things not intended to hurt anyones feelings :KS

mips
March 23rd, 2007, 12:44 PM

You said it better than I could. I think it has something to do with the shirt and the haircut which can easily be fixed.

djl_ottawa
March 23rd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Well, look at my avatar. I have been *playing* with computers since I was 14. I am now going on 39. I have been told I look like a bouncer. One of my co-workers behind me is 6'4 and looks more like he plays basketball. I have another one who goes to the gym as much has he plays with computers. He as arms larger then my leg (and I go to the gym 4 times a week).

My wife when she met me had no idea that I was such a geek, until she came to my place and noticed my hmmm. 3 PCs, 2 consoles and a closet full of parts.

Not all nerds or geeks today look the part. I think in my office (btw, I am a 2nd level support for large company) we have 2 people out of 60 who work under me who are "geek"-looking.

Cloudy
March 23rd, 2007, 01:07 PM
Practically everyone in the US over the age of 20 knows calculus....er well, and under 40. You can't graduate college without taking at least single variable calculus, and it's rather common to take single variable calculus in high school. I took it in 11th grade, and so is my brother. Difference is, he's taking Calc 2 senior year and I quit after Calc 1.

I didn't take calculus in high school and if I can help it I'm not taking it in college either. ****-easy stuff like geometry gives me trouble, calculus make brain go splode.

FoolsGold
March 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Hmm... I suppose I don't look like a geek/nerd (and no I won't put up a picture, heh), but I certainly act like one sometimes and I definately feel much more at ease with my own "kind" as opposed to the normal people.

Then again, it is what us geeks/nerds have developed over the years that the normal people take for granted without even thinking about it, and that makes me smile. :)

tcebak
March 23rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Well, Although i love computers i am no geek. I do not know much programming, but i love the crap out of Ubuntu. As i'm not "cool" nor am i a "geek" i tend to assoicate with both crowds. and when one of them has a problem with computers i show then Ubuntu and Beryl of course! But i agree that just because you don't know how to code and everything does not mean you should not use linux, As Ubuntu says it's "Linux for Human Beings"

lyceum
March 23rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Everyone is a geek to someone. There is not "perfect coolness" I think jocks are geeks (my wife is a jock, so don't hurt me for saying that!) A geek, to me, is anyone that does not fit into your circle of "cool". And yes, I am a geek. But I'm cool about it ;)

macogw
March 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
I didn't take calculus in high school and if I can help it I'm not taking it in college either. ****-easy stuff like geometry gives me trouble, calculus make brain go splode.

I think most 4-year colleges require one semester of calc to get a bachelor's degree.

kazuya
March 23rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
What does it matter if we are geeks or not? Everyone of us has an inner geek in us. And every geek has an inner non-geek as well.
I love linux, I love knowing that I am a part of something revolutionary. I like that the use of this free platform has altered my behavioral papperns in many ways.
For others who use what just works for them. It does not matter whether it is linux or windows provided it works.

To the gentleman who asked; What does it matter if we are all geeks. I can call myself a geek, but maybe someone else may take offense that I insult their title by calling myself a geek. I can be Catholic or Islamic, or atheistic? Oh, I hope we are all not Indians could suffice as another theme.

Truth is this is an irrelevant question. Geek could be cool or boring. It is like me saying I am human, well duh!! By our naming and definition, maybe I am human. But maybe I am an alien, a fish that can type, an athlete who stumbled on this by accident, or a guy who stole a machine that came with linux. lol.

Please forgive my almost useless rant. My point is when you look at a distro like Ubuntu with so many members of all age, ethnicity, race, sex, religion.. It is rather unintelligent to assume that these people are all the same.

My mother uses Ubuntu Edgy, she had no idea at first, but through the system is becoming more capable of administering her own PC. My brother who is a mechanic/student/ uses Ubuntu and asks questions occassionally. He spends 30 minutes per day on average on a PC.

My sister is in a sorority <academic type one>, I guess for volunteer experience and also loves to watch anime now, movies; uses facebook, messenger, and is looked upon as the social event planner for yet another group.

I play basketball at a YMCA league. I play ball three times a week, work, cannot code, but beginning to learn some linux commands, and spend quite a bit of my time in the evenings on the computer multi-tasking- contacting family across the ocean, watching animes, youtube, nba.com, ubuntu forums, sometimes going to the club <but married now so that is cut down>

The I have the other brother who is a gamer, loves console games, studying math, but runs zenwalk linux, thanks to me.

So answer now, what your definition of a geek is and how it applies to all here or who use linux.

stalker145
March 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
well there are right places to check: http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_cg.php and http://www.innergeek.us/geek-test.html ;)

NOT A GEEK, NOT A GEEK, NOT A GEEK =D> \\:D/ :guitar:

Here's the proof: (http://www.stalker145.com/Geek-Test.html)

Dang, I just started to wonder if my server can handle it... :-k

Banished
March 23rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
What? You mean we’re not all geeks!

I was drawn to Linux because of the challenge, and I love the concept of open source. If Linux attracts other intelligent open-minded people that are willing to make an effort and take the time to learn … I respect that.

It's a quality that makes Linux users unique...that geekiness.

I don't think I would have been drawn to Linux just because celebrities, beautiful, or "popular" people were using it.

EdThaSlayer
March 23rd, 2007, 05:29 PM
I don't consider myself a geek. I might know a few terminal commands here and there, and know how to add/remove hardware, and a bit of programming but I'm still not a geek. Only if I know how to make my own linux distro I would consider myself a geek.

stokedfish
March 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
G33ky ch1cks 4r3 th3 l33t3st! <3

SunnyRabbiera
March 23rd, 2007, 05:42 PM
I am proud to be a geek thank you very much :D

happy-and-lost
March 23rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Nothing beats -e^(pi*i)=1 Except maybe limit sum(1/n^2)=(pi^2)/6 n->inf

Euler_Fan, maths jokes are the first sine of madness :)

dspari1
March 31st, 2007, 07:06 PM
First of all, I refer to the OS as Ubuntu and not Linux because the label Linux will always be deemed geeky. Second of all, Ubuntu is taking the right approach in making the OS less geeky by making a it for normal people. I may have been considered geeky when 7 years ago for trying redhat for 3 months, but I definately don't feel like a geek today using Ubuntu+Beryl.

Integrating Beryl by default is the next step into making Linux "cool".

use a name
March 31st, 2007, 07:37 PM
Sure, linux has an attractive power on geeks. Just enjoy. Windows is losing a whole lot of hardcore geeks to linux atm. :) Oh well. Me thinks Bill Gates was a geek back then. And so was everyone using computers till about1985.

jc87
March 31st, 2007, 08:53 PM

3.74% at the Geek test, come on:mad:

I don't have a girlfriend, like to watch lots of pr0n (notice the lots is on black), i read /. , would love to bash Bill Gates at the head a couple of times, and i consider RMS to be a great prophet (ok not in this exact words).

If i´m not an geek the world as we know it is doomed:(

spinflick
April 1st, 2007, 12:02 AM

Your idea of "cool" people might be someone elses idea of twats. :lolflag:

macogw
April 1st, 2007, 01:43 AM

Now this leaves me wondering, do I have "vintage" computers? Where does "vintage" start? My oldest is 9 years old. The one that would be 25 is gone now though (fairly sure that one would qualify).

27.61341% - Total Geek

I got a 100 on the Nerd Test :p

M$LOL
April 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
I use linux and I'm not a geek, just intelligent.:guitar:

koshatnik
April 2nd, 2007, 04:05 PM
When you get to a certain age, you sudenly realise that there is no such thing as "cool" or "uncool", "geek" or "nerd".

There is only "idiot" and "not an idiot". :)

Mr Wrath
April 2nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
The term geek has gotten very loose, and here is my reason for stating this...

I built my 67 mustang from scratch, stunt sportbikes, play paintball, and fly Cessena 172's. I have built, and when more money gets in, will continue to build car video and audio systems. Even though I do all this, my wife considers me to be a "geek" because I am also into computers, programs and programming, and build computers from scratch either for individuals or for the company we work for...

I have pretty much despised Microsoft ever since Linux was shown to me, but that was for all the time I wasted learning a 'piece of hud' OS (I hope I can say that). Several of the guys I stunt with (sport bikes) have said the same thing, once computers get talked about or brought up. So, with all this, to me "geek" has become a term to mean "knowledgable or very knowledgable about computers," and really nothing more.

It's just getting the word out and getting people of every class and group involved in the *nix world...sell the product and provide the support as a 'geek'. Show the people, family, friends, co-workers, etcetera...This is how *nix is going to spread and will no longer be considered a 'geek' operating system.

Mr Wrath

zgornel
April 2nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
3.74% at the Geek test, come on:mad:

I don't have a girlfriend, like to watch lots of pr0n (notice the lots is on black), i read /. , would love to bash Bill Gates at the head a couple of times, and i consider RMS to be a great prophet (ok not in this exact words).

If i´m not an geek the world as we know it is doomed:(
Geeks are afraid of porn and females. They watch porn just to analyze the quality of the codec. They do not watch females because they do not have any lcd of terminal attached to them.

FoolsGold
April 3rd, 2007, 01:01 AM
As far as I'm concerned, if you willingly post on a Linux forum of all things, YOU'RE A GEEK!

Seriously, it's nothing to be ashamed of. :)

Xzallion
April 3rd, 2007, 01:12 AM
according to the Nerd Test I'm a mid-level geek.