PDA

View Full Version : Best Distro for a RT61 user?

Frak
March 23rd, 2007, 02:24 AM
I'm currently using a Linksys WMP54G wireless chipset and am bound by my Wireless card, unfortunately Ubuntu Dapper doesn't boot, Kubuntu works "sometimes", and as we all know Edgy's RT61 Drivers are damaged, and I've tried feisty, and it recognizes, tries, but never connects.

Can anybody here suggest a distribution that works out of the box with RT61 Chipsets? And yes I've tried compiling drivers for my card, and it doesn't even recognize my card even after compilation, besides that Ubuntu not allowing the Ralink Driver sufficient permissions, even though compilation of the driver invoked by me as super user to create the correct directories for installation. Besides that, I would have to recompile it every time I updated my kernel.

Thanks for any suggestions. :guitar:

AndyCooll
March 23rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
Although I understand your frustration, I'm not really sure where you're coming from in suggesting conclusively that the RT61 chipset doesn't work. My Belkin PCMCIA card uses the RT61 chipset. True, it is a pain to set up. However, once setup it isn't damaged, it works very well.

:cool:

Frak
March 23rd, 2007, 03:09 AM
Although I understand your frustration, I'm not really sure where you're coming from in suggesting conclusively that the RT61 chipset doesn't work. My Belkin PCMCIA card uses the RT61 chipset. True, it is a pain to set up. However, once setup it isn't damaged, it works very well.

:cool:
Mine isn't damaged either, the drivers corrupted when they were included in edgy. Seriously though, if you know a distribution, please suggest it, I can't get the driver working, and that is the developers work, not mine.

P.S. I am using the v4.1 revision of the WMP54G Wireless card.

skotreed
April 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Before you try a new distro!!

I'm currently running Feisty with a linksys wireless card (RT61). At first i had the same problem, the card was working according to the system but i could not connect. The way i got it working was to restart the init.d/networking file. To do this enter

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

into the terminal

it will take a second to run the process but in the end it shout state an IP address. Once the procedure is done, cclose the console. Makek sure your network is setup coorectly as far as SSID and WEP are concerned and try to connect to the internet.

Hopefully this should fix the problem.

<<<note>>> I am having to run this process every time i restart the system.

Frak
April 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Oh I don't need anymore help, sorry. I created a script that compiles the driver and installs it manually.