PDA

View Full Version : Cisco Certifications

mark_g
March 22nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
This is probably not the best place to ask, but I noticed there are some Cisco people here, so I'll try anyway.

I'm currently finishing the CCNP curriculum at my school and the way I understand it is that you have to do an exam for each of the 4 parts at a certified test center to become an 'official' CCNP.
Not to be cheap or anything, but they do cost 126 EUR each, which adds up if you have to take five of them (CCNA + 4 CCNP) and you're still a (unemployed) student, just to put this "word" on your CV.

Basically, do you guys think this is a good investment to make or is it unimportant to have when you're just starting out, considering I don't have any real-world experience to back my CCNP up?

BTW: Just wondering, any CCIE's out here on the forums?

mips
March 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM
This is probably not the best place to ask, but I noticed there are some Cisco people here, so I'll try anyway.

I'm currently finishing the CCNP curriculum at my school and the way I understand it is that you have to do an exam for each of the 4 parts at a certified test center to become an 'official' CCNP.
Not to be cheap or anything, but they do cost 126 EUR each, which adds up if you have to take five of them (CCNA + 4 CCNP) and you're still a (unemployed) student, just to put this "word" on your CV.

Basically, do you guys think this is a good investment to make or is it unimportant to have when you're just starting out, considering I don't have any real-world experience to back my CCNP up?

BTW: Just wondering, any CCIE's out here on the forums?

Do you not get student discount for exams, just wondering ? Yes the exams are expensive. How bout your parents helping out ?Just make sure you pass them first time round else it's gonna cost even more. Also check if their are any CCNP beta exams available and sign up for them as they are free.

Well it would be nice to have on your CV especially if you intend working in that field. It's also valid for 3yrs so you have some time on your side if you are looking for a job.

There is a guy by the name of Dataw0lf that has a CCIE Security on the forums, dunno if he is still here.

Though about the CCIE thing once but basically decided not to. I would have had to fund the LAB exam out of my own pocket and that would have meant flying out of the country, paying for accomodation etc and then you might end up failing. Also only valid for two years.

dataw0lf
March 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Don't pay for certs. Get employers to. I've gotten my RHCE, CCIE in R&S and Sec, and various other certs this way.

mark_g
March 27th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks a lot, your comments were really helpful!