PDA

View Full Version : Not to brag, but ...

ihatethedekoys
March 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
I have the coolest girlfriend of all time.

I got home from work the other day, and to my surprise she says, "Oh, I got bored so I installed Ubuntu on my computer." I didn't know what to say. I was beyond words. I had never tried to get her to install Ubuntu, or even try Linux before.

That night, I'm helping her install the ATI drivers on her system, and her monitor goes out of range. I'm thinking, "Oh god, she's going to freak out, and say Linux isn't ready for the desktop, and go back to Windows." But no, she edited her xorg.conf file using vim and got it working. By the third time I tell her to edit the file, she said, "Yeah, yeah, sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you don't need to repeat yourself, I got it!"

I tell her about Beryl, and then I go off to work. I call her on my lunch break, and ask her about her Beryl install, she says she can't get it to work, and before I can get a chance to help her with it, I have to hang up. About two hours later she calls me, ecstatic,
"I got Beryl to work!"
"How did you do that?"
"I went on ubuntu forums and looked around at a bunch of howto threads, then i had to install a different version of xgl, and compile beryl blah blah."

When I first heard she installed Ubuntu I was kind of worried that she would come across a problem I wouldn't know the answer to, or I wouldn't be able to help her with. But no, she figured things out on her own, and now I feel kind of unneeded, but still proud that I'm dating someone as cool as her.

Post any shocking Ubuntu conversions that you guys have had!

malfist
March 22nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Wow, some gf you've got there, she sounds like a keeper :P

lyceum
March 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
*sigh*... geek love ;) it's a beautiful thing

eentonig
March 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
If she's good looking as well. I'd start to guard her with your life. Think a lot of guys over here would be interesting in getting to know her a little bit better.

My wife's position towards linux? "It's not windows, I don't know what to do with it."
(Mind you, even this morning I was called to explain how to remove a recurring appointment in her Outlook Calendar)

emosux
March 22nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
:rolleyes: he said he was going to post this thread last night but i thought it was just sleepy ramblings. it's really not that big a feat. but you should know that you are pretty cool, yourself. :p

Pikestaff
March 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Haha, let's flip the tables around: I'm still waiting for my boyfriend to randomly decide to install Linux like that :p (He actually does want to start using Linux, he just hasn't done it yet)

I do know where you're coming from though, within a couple months of starting to use Kubuntu, two of my friends started using 'buntu as well. They both did so without me ever telling them they should, they just noticed that I was loving it so much and decided to try it for themselves. I'm rather proud of the way I inspired two people to switch just by being myself and talking about how much I loved it.

macogw
March 22nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Pikestaff, I started dating a guy and mentioned I use Ubuntu and within a few days he formatted and installed Ubuntu. He went between Vista, Ubuntu, and SuSE quite a few times. He's an ubuntuguide editor now.

Pikestaff
March 22nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
That's pretty awesome, macogw. My guy has played with Linux before (he's a computer/open source nerd, which makes me happy), but is using WinXP right now mostly I think because he does a lot of his school stuff through the computer and doesn't want to have to deal with possible compatibility problems. But he hates the idea of Vista and has told me he will definitely be switching to Linux (probably Ubuntu) as soon as he can.

I can't wait until he does, it'll be fun to be able to geek out with him about 'buntu :)

maxamillion
March 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
You have a good one! ... I do too :) (She asked for Doom3 on Xbox last birthday and for a Wii+Zelda for this b-day ... life is good)

daynah
March 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
You know, I need a boyfriend that appreciates the fact that I just installed Beryl on my laptop today (okay, maybe it's after I broke X three or four times trying to install it on my ATI desktop...).

Instead I get a geek, but a COMIC book geek who calls me a "Linux Elitist."

~sighs~ I've at least weened him away from Windows... to mac. But at least away from Windows. That's gotta count for something right? If not mutual love, then mutual hate?

maniacmusician
March 22nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
ah man, how lucky. It's not that the fact that she can install Ubuntu and Beryl by herself that's an attractive quality...it's the fact that she actually took the initiative to do that! On her own, no less. That's brilliant. As others have said. a keeper. She sounds smart.

I don't need a "geek" girlfriend...but I'd at least like a smart one :) Surprisingly hard to find these days....

PS: I noticed that you posted in this thread, emosux. Congratulations on figuring this stuff out on your own! I think that's a pretty damn good job for your first try. I also wanted to say that compiling Beryl yourself was probably a bit overkill to fix the problem, but at least you know how to compile stuff now! some more experienced users still have lots of trouble with that. Anyways...congratulations. Enjoy your Ubuntu. And don't forget to try out different flavors (KDE, XFCE, E17, etc)

floke
March 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
Emosux rocks!

My wife insists on using Wins***. I set her PC up with a dual boot system of Ubuntu, and reduced the Win space down to the lowest possible amount, and the result? She keeps using Windows. And why? Because she likes the way Firefox is laid out! Ok, so at least she's weaned off IE - but for God' sake...

Emosux - can you have a word?

BarfBag
March 22nd, 2007, 11:52 PM
She's definitely a keeper. I'd kill for a chick like that.

Adamant1988
March 23rd, 2007, 12:17 AM

I got home from work the other day, and to my surprise she says, "Oh, I got bored so I installed Ubuntu on my computer." I didn't know what to say. I was beyond words. I had never tried to get her to install Ubuntu, or even try Linux before.

That night, I'm helping her install the ATI drivers on her system, and her monitor goes out of range. I'm thinking, "Oh god, she's going to freak out, and say Linux isn't ready for the desktop, and go back to Windows." But no, she edited her xorg.conf file using vim and got it working. By the third time I tell her to edit the file, she said, "Yeah, yeah, sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you don't need to repeat yourself, I got it!"

I tell her about Beryl, and then I go off to work. I call her on my lunch break, and ask her about her Beryl install, she says she can't get it to work, and before I can get a chance to help her with it, I have to hang up. About two hours later she calls me, ecstatic,
"I got Beryl to work!"
"How did you do that?"
"I went on ubuntu forums and looked around at a bunch of howto threads, then i had to install a different version of xgl, and compile beryl blah blah."

When I first heard she installed Ubuntu I was kind of worried that she would come across a problem I wouldn't know the answer to, or I wouldn't be able to help her with. But no, she figured things out on her own, and now I feel kind of unneeded, but still proud that I'm dating someone as cool as her.

Post any shocking Ubuntu conversions that you guys have had!

"teh omgz pics 012 it didn't happen"

Henry Rayker
March 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
"teh omgz pics 012 it didn't happen"

LAWL! I worked with a guy last semester who said that all the time...the best was when the windows were being washed at the building...that stuff is loud.

On topic: it really makes me happy that there actually are women out there who take the initiative to do stuff like this. I'm a Computer Engineering student at a major university and it's really shocking how few girls there are in my classes (in my major classes, there are maybe 10 total, out of probably a hundred people over 3 classes). The numbers were higher in the first couple of years (I'm in my last) but it seems like women change majors away from CompE disproportionately with relation to males. One thing to point out is that this problem appears to be, at least partially, an American issue: of the 10 girls in my classes, I think all but 2 were foreign-born; I'm not sure about both of them, but I know one person's parents came here only a year before she was born.

My girlfriend asked that I install Ubuntu for her, and she's still kind of timid about things (rather than looking for the solutions herself, she asks for my help) but I think a lot of that is due to the fact that she doesn't have a whole lot of free time (If I know how to do it, but it'd take her time to figure out, why waste the time, I guess)

matt_risi
March 23rd, 2007, 12:43 AM
I was taking a test as part of a job interview to be a lab tech at my school today, and the test was all just basic functions in MS Office applications. My lady walks up behind me, unbeknownst to me, slips a note under my back collar and walks off. I read it when the interviewer guy isn't looking:

"Good luck! Be patient, remember it's Windows."

:D

Adamant1988
March 23rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
Eh, my significant other and I have an understanding. I will handle anything more technologically advanced than a toaster (The stuff she doesn't understand), and she will handle the stuff I don't understand... like peeling oranges...

KiwiNZ
March 23rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
Cool

My partner is as technical as me if not more , she is a Senior Exec for a major PC/Server /Printer supplier

%hMa@?b<C
March 23rd, 2007, 01:41 AM
You know, I need a boyfriend that appreciates the fact that I just installed Beryl on my laptop today (okay, maybe it's after I broke X three or four times trying to install it on my ATI desktop...).

Instead I get a geek, but a COMIC book geek who calls me a "Linux Elitist."

~sighs~ I've at least weened him away from Windows... to mac. But at least away from Windows. That's gotta count for something right? If not mutual love, then mutual hate?

a lesser of two evils, I think not. It may be mutual hate, but it is still going in the wrong direction.

%hMa@?b<C
March 23rd, 2007, 01:42 AM
Eh, my significant other and I have an understanding. I will handle anything more technologically advanced than a toaster (The stuff she doesn't understand), and she will handle the stuff I don't understand... like peeling oranges...
I dont need a girlfriend, my mom cuts the rind of the oranges so that I can peel them. :KS

macogw
March 23rd, 2007, 01:44 AM
LAWL! I worked with a guy last semester who said that all the time...the best was when the windows were being washed at the building...that stuff is loud.

On topic: it really makes me happy that there actually are women out there who take the initiative to do stuff like this. I'm a Computer Engineering student at a major university and it's really shocking how few girls there are in my classes (in my major classes, there are maybe 10 total, out of probably a hundred people over 3 classes). The numbers were higher in the first couple of years (I'm in my last) but it seems like women change majors away from CompE disproportionately with relation to males. One thing to point out is that this problem appears to be, at least partially, an American issue: of the 10 girls in my classes, I think all but 2 were foreign-born; I'm not sure about both of them, but I know one person's parents came here only a year before she was born.

My girlfriend asked that I install Ubuntu for her, and she's still kind of timid about things (rather than looking for the solutions herself, she asks for my help) but I think a lot of that is due to the fact that she doesn't have a whole lot of free time (If I know how to do it, but it'd take her time to figure out, why waste the time, I guess)
Wow. Out of 8 people in my Discrete Math class, 3 are girls. In the 30-person Data Structures class, I think 8 are girls.

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 01:51 AM

i think that's pretty much the definition of "brag."

ihatethedekoys
March 23rd, 2007, 01:59 AM
i think that's pretty much the definition of "brag."

that's why there was a BUT!

She's something to brag about!

macogw
March 23rd, 2007, 02:01 AM
That's pretty awesome, macogw. My guy has played with Linux before (he's a computer/open source nerd, which makes me happy), but is using WinXP right now mostly I think because he does a lot of his school stuff through the computer and doesn't want to have to deal with possible compatibility problems. But he hates the idea of Vista and has told me he will definitely be switching to Linux (probably Ubuntu) as soon as he can.

I can't wait until he does, it'll be fun to be able to geek out with him about 'buntu :)

That was my ex. My current wrote a graphics driver for his computer (blew up a few monitors in the process) when he started using Linux 15 years ago.

H.E. Pennypacker
March 23rd, 2007, 03:09 AM
Your girlfriend is freakin' cool.

emosux
March 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Emosux rocks!

My wife insists on using Wins***. I set her PC up with a dual boot system of Ubuntu, and reduced the Win space down to the lowest possible amount, and the result? She keeps using Windows. And why? Because she likes the way Firefox is laid out! Ok, so at least she's weaned off IE - but for God' sake...

Emosux - can you have a word?

Sure. Sorry for the late reply, my campus is playing humans and zombies. I was out hunting humans. :evil:

edit: to the guy who said that compiling was overkill, i'd like to agree, but i tried everything else and nothing worked. ATI is bad bad bad :\

theRevMom
March 23rd, 2007, 04:04 AM
Okay, since we're bragging.... I'm not only female, I'm OLD. And I've not only switched over my own computer and laptop, but also my Old-Man partner's too. He won't go back to Winxxx -- especially after he was introduced to Vista and Office 2007. It all makes no sense.

And, I've built three computers for my equally elderly friends with Edgy.

Isn't that how you do it,,,, one computer at a time until the world is dripping in Linux. :-P

maniacmusician
March 23rd, 2007, 04:19 AM
Okay, since we're bragging.... I'm not only female, I'm OLD. And I've not only switched over my own computer and laptop, but also my Old-Man partner's too. He won't go back to Winxxx -- especially after he was introduced to Vista and Office 2007. It all makes no sense.

And, I've built three computers for my equally elderly friends with Edgy.

Isn't that how you do it,,,, one computer at a time until the world is dripping in Linux. :-P
yeah :)

Great to hear that people from across the spectrum are enjoying Ubuntu and Linux in general.

pearlie
March 24th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Awwwright! I'm female and OLD too! ):P We should form an Ubuntu Red Hat Society.

My spousal unit is totally ungeeky, and seemingly never cared what OS was running as long as he can surf at will. But he shocked my support stockings off earlier tonight.... his machine is my old dual-boot desktop, and I had to blow the dust off Windows today to do our annual tax returns. Carelessly, I left it running; and when he sat down in front of it, all I heard was "Ugh. It's.... Wiiiiinnnndddoooowwwsssss... how do I get out of here?!"

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 05:42 AM
:) nice one. getting them subtly used to it over time is a good way to wean them off of Windows.

EdThaSlayer
March 24th, 2007, 10:51 AM
All that I have to say is that your girlfriend is really really smart because I have never tried to use vim to edit a xorg.conf file even though I have been using Linux for almost a whole year.

3rdalbum
March 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM
All that I have to say is that your girlfriend is really really smart because I have never tried to use vim to edit a xorg.conf file even though I have been using Linux for almost a whole year.

Same - I've been using Linux for more than a year, yet I always use Nano!

My favourite quote about Vim from bash.org:

< PrincessLeia2> :q
< PrincessLeia2> oops
< TonicBH> what kind of face is that?
< PrincessLeia2> not a facey, I was trying to quit vim

justaboutnormal
March 26th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Ya, my girlfriend installed a long time ago . . . that is if I had a girlfriend.