PDA

View Full Version : best video editor for cutting commercials from TV shows recorded in DVD format (vob)?

billdotson
March 22nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
What is the best video editor for simply opening a vob file, cutting out specific segments (commercials) and transcoding/encoding the finalized video? I have been using avidemux lately but many times there are so many different audio and video codecs I do not know which to use.
For instance xVid4 (DivX doesn't seem to be included by default in avidemux, even though I have DivX installed) from what I hear is illegal unless the fees for it are paid (and form what I hear they are often not) and I do not know if I *can use it in Avidemux as I am unsure of if the fees were paid (I am a stickler for following laws..) Also, sometimes I have edited a video and then saved it and when I try to view it in Windows it isn't even recognized as a video file. I guess the main thing is that I do not know enough about what codecs to use in tandem (audio + video) and the container/transporter format to put it in e.g. mpeg4, mpeg PS A+V, avi, ogm.

Should I just read up on all the codecs and thoroughly read the documentation on avidemux or is there a better editor.

I mainly use avidemux for editing vob files as I am too cheap to buy a TV tuner.. I just record shows on my dvd recorder and rip the vob files to the hard drive. I have also had issues as sometimes the video's audio gets out of sync, generally messed up and echo-y and the frames get all screwed up. Should I learn how to use mencoder to convert the vob into avi before using it in avidemux?

Waappu
March 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hi

Have you visit in this page. Lot of guides and also software for linux
http://www.videohelp.com/

billdotson
March 23rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
that site is really clunky and looks like it is hard to find anything.. I guess I will look though

cowlip
March 23rd, 2007, 03:35 AM
something with comskip? vob files are basically mpeg-2 files, right?

billdotson
March 23rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
yes vob files are basically mpeg-2 AFAIK. I do not know exactly what makes them different from standard mpeg-2 though.