PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what next??

slibuntu
March 22nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
I'm an Edgy user that has been blesssed with a very dangerous thing, heaps of extra storage space! Now instead of filling those masses of gigabytes with pr0n like most people my age would(i'm 17!), I intend to sample some other distros, given my short attention span, i'm looking for something cool and fresh, any ideas??

ciscosurfer
March 22nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
I'm an Edgy user that has been blesssed with a very dangerous thing, heaps of extra storage space! Now instead of filling those masses of gigabytes with pr0n like most people my age would(i'm 17!), I intend to sample some other distros, given my short attention span, i'm looking for something cool and fresh, any ideas??I'd say try your hand at distro with a different package management system. For example, you could try out Fedora because it uses the RPM (Red Hat Package Manager).

slibuntu
March 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
So would that offer a whole heap of new packages and programs?

ciscosurfer
March 22nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
So would that offer a whole heap of new packages and programs?It would offer the chance to learn how another package management system works. In terms of different apps you could try out, yes and no. It simply depends on the distro, what they use to package their apps, and what developers decide to use to package their apps. Here's a good link to find RPM apps: http://rpm.pbone.net/

Btw, you can also convert a good amount of RPM packages to the .deb format Ubuntu and Debian-based distro's use via the Alien command. More on that here: http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/09/23/installing-using-an-rpm-file/

slibuntu
March 22nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Yeah i know, i used it to install Limewire, check out my blog for a tutorial! I was thinking of trying SUSE or Mandriva, any opinions?

zanglang
March 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Do you have decent internet bandwidth? Why not try offering those free space to the community as well. Help mirror and distribute free software. Start a public repository for people to put things in. Host websites for your friends and family. :)

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
how much bandwith is your blog allotted what happens if you exceed it see my current post to see more about why i'm asking (community cafe > free advertising). basically the goal is to push linux/ubuntu vids to the front of video hosts youtube, googe, aol's, ect... popularity lists for a few days using blogs on digg like sites to direct people to video sites

jdhore
March 22nd, 2007, 04:07 AM
i'd say if you wanna learn/get used to a new distro, try BSD (a whole nother flavor of *nix), i prefer FreeBSD personally, or try Gentoo...RPM and APT distros use the same general idea behind package management...exectuion is different, but the idea is the same...Gentoo and FreeBSD are completely different...with them, even stuff in the "repos/ports" has to be compiled from source...it will also give you a faster OS/apps and give you a new-found appreciation of how easy Ubuntu is to install/use

guitarmaniac
March 22nd, 2007, 06:02 AM
What about Sabayon?
It seems to be on the rise (now ranked about 8th on distrowatch.com). I havent tried it, but it's meant to be an easier to use gentoo, with all the bleeding edge software (comes with Beryl by default).
I'm going to download it if I get the chance (I only have a 500MB a month download limit so it could be a while ;) )

slibuntu
March 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately bandwidth isn't a strong point here, so i cant really mirror or host. But sabayon sounds really cool, i'm going to try that for sure, ill let you know how it goes and who knows? I could soon be starting a Sabayon Newbie blog to go along with my Ubuntu Newbie one!

mips
March 22nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
I'm going to download it if I get the chance (I only have a 500MB a month download limit so it could be a while ;) )

Then wait for the mini edition that will be out soon.

Use a download manager that supports segmented downloading and resume.

guitarmaniac
March 23rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
yeah, but its a shared connection so I dont want to eat up everyone elses downloads as well. Probably will get a visa debit card or something so I can BUY a copy off a webstore or something.