PDA

View Full Version : iso file downloads as zip

enjoyin
March 22nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
When I try and download an .iso it finishes up as a zip. I am at a complete loss as this hasn't always been the case. I honestly don't know what to do with the zip file how if possible can I turn it into an iso file to burn to a cd or dvd to load a linux distribution.

TBOL3
March 22nd, 2007, 01:03 AM
You're using Ubuntu, right? Yes you are.

Now when Firefox has a download, it has sevreal options. First you can open it, and you can also save it to your hard drive. You are probably opening it. So what you need to do is save it to your hard drive. You see, it's not a zip, but it's similar, remember, an ISO is just an image of files, thus with the right software, you can de-code it.

enjoyin
March 22nd, 2007, 01:34 AM
no i am still in windoz and want to download the iso file. as I said the download starts as iso but when it is finished it has changed to a zip file. Doesn't seem to matter what distro I try same result. While I understand a zip and iso are similar I only know how to put a iso on to a cd/dvd. any help appreciated.

manmower
March 22nd, 2007, 02:06 AM
Have you tried opening the zip file? Can you perhaps extract an iso from it (just guessing). Alternatively, have you tried just changing the extension back to .iso and see if that gives you a usable image file?

igknighted
March 22nd, 2007, 02:35 AM
Windows is not very smart, it thinks by default that winzip is the program that should open it. Therefor it gives it a winzip icon, but the file should end in .iso. Open the program that you are using to burn the iso, select the file manually, then burn it.

TBOL3
March 22nd, 2007, 04:16 AM
And if it complains it needs an ISO, just change the extension.

manmower
March 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
And, if you can't see the extension, in Explorer go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View and untick "Hide extensions for known file types". One of the first things I do on any Windows system is adjusting these options but the default is to hide them.