PDA

View Full Version : TABS in IE7

allforcarrie
June 3rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Look here (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/5/26.aspx)

I guess that IE is scared that firefox actually built by people that use it and changes with the wants and needs of its users. [-X [-X

benplaut
June 3rd, 2005, 08:56 AM
Look here (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/5/26.aspx)

I guess that IE is scared that firefox actually built by people that use it and changes with the wants and needs of its users. [-X [-X

well... it's a hot feature, so they should!

please don't turn this into a Microsoft bashing thread ](*,)

23meg
June 3rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
and don't forget that firefox took the idea from opera.

allforcarrie
June 3rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
I'm just saying that MS is adding features late in the game.

TravisNewman
June 3rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
and don't forget that firefox took the idea from opera.
this is true (well, for the most part: Mozilla took the idea from Opera-- though implemented it better than Opera ever could-- and Firefox inherited it from Mozilla--- but now I'm splitting hairs) but I'm sure Opera got the idea from somewhere else as well. It doesn't seem like there are really any totally new innovations coming out.

j-rock
June 3rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
I'm of the opposite persuation. I think Opera got it better (not to mention earlier) than anyone else.

/still uses firefox

Takis
June 3rd, 2005, 03:13 PM
I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like tabs. They annoy me because I can't look at the taskbar when I've 10 different programs running and know exactly which browser window I want. The same goes for grouping simliar programs, I turn this off right away too.

As for MS being slightly behind on features, I had a little thing a while ago on what they were talking up about Longhorn, such as iconic previews of files. I think the funniest thing about this is that MS makes it seem like they're doing the world a favour by introducing features that something else has had for months, years even.

poofyhairguy
June 3rd, 2005, 07:19 PM
I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like tabs.

Many people don't. They are a power tool.

j-rock
June 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM
I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like tabs. They annoy me because I can't look at the taskbar when I've 10 different programs running and know exactly which browser window I want. The same goes for grouping simliar programs, I turn this off right away too.

:) :) Some of us don't have taskbars (i.e. us *box elitist types). So tabs are nice for us.

nobodysbusiness
June 3rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
Safari has tabs too, but they botched it! You can't have three or four tabs as your homepage (without using a special applescript, that is). Just because MS is adding tabs doesn't mean that they will do a good job. I'll have to wait and see.

bored2k
June 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
As long as they have the feature, I wouldn't care about them being late. As long as it is a good and secure browser, it will always be welcomed. Maybe I won't use it, but just because I dislike some of the methods Microsoft does things, it doesn't mean I want it to suck. After all, we here at Linux camp love the ability to choose what we want right ? So if millions are going to choose IE, at least I'd want it to be good. My friends deserve it. So do my -not so- friends.

. Just because MS is adding tabs doesn't mean that they will do a good job. I'll have to wait and see. It doesn't mean they're going to do a bad job either.;) We will have to wait and see.

P.S. - "I say things y'all want to say but are afraid to." (Bernie Mac, The Original Kings of Comedy, 2000)

poofyhairguy
June 3rd, 2005, 10:21 PM
As long as they have the feature, I wouldn't care about them being late. As long as it is a good and secure browser, it will always be welcomed.

As long as it can be easily downloaded. I love using IE in WIne. Its funny and harmless, like the difference between a race car in a video game and a race car in real life.

jimcooncat
June 3rd, 2005, 11:07 PM
I'm not a fan of IE, and probably won't be unless they were to rewrite it from scratch using standards. Even so, it's important to me because most of the people who visit my web sites use it, and I need my site to work well with it. Which means, of course, I use IE as well to check it out.

I'm a big fan of tabbed browsing -- but Firefox didn't do it all that smartly in my opinion. Either give me everything in tabs with no extra windows, or no tabs at all! It's very annoying to have several windows open with multiple tabs, and I feel that never should have been allowed. However, installing the "Single Window" extension has helped tremendously.

Here's hoping that Microsoft produces a safer, more usable Internet Explorer -- and that they backport it to their older operating systems!

Nu-Buntu
June 3rd, 2005, 11:08 PM
What's the saying . . . Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

MS has always done this. Windows is a copy of Mac, which is a copy of Xerox. So it goes. Nothing wrong with it tho. Think if you drove a Chevy with one user interface, then a Ford had a different one, and Toyota still another.

bored2k
June 4th, 2005, 12:24 AM
What's the saying . . . Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

MS has always done this. Windows is a copy of Mac, which is a copy of Xerox. So it goes. Nothing wrong with it tho. Think if you drove a Chevy with one user interface, then a Ford had a different one, and Toyota still another.
I do not agree. So you're saying that just because Opera came up with tabbed browsing NO ONE can copy that marvelous idea from them ? If this were the case, technology would still be FLinstones-like. It applies even to videogames: so PS2 came up with dvd playback so MS can't do it? No wait, it cant even make a VG console because its a mock right ? not. If I'm running barefoot because I don't know what shoes are and I saw you wearing something on your feet, I can't use it because I'm just copying you? not.

Do not turn this thread into you're personal Microsoft Hatemail.

TravisNewman
June 4th, 2005, 12:27 AM
wait, he said that there is nothing wrong with it, and in fact expressed the necessity for it.

poofyhairguy
June 4th, 2005, 01:05 AM
I'm a big fan of tabbed browsing -- but Firefox didn't do it all that smartly in my opinion. Either give me everything in tabs with no extra windows, or no tabs at all! It's very annoying to have several windows open with multiple tabs, and I feel that never should have been allowed. However, installing the "Single Window" extension has helped tremendously.

That brings about Firefox's other big feature, its extendability.

http://216.55.161.203/theonekea/tabprefs/

http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en#download

WildTangent
June 4th, 2005, 03:13 AM
im with this guy, i HATE them with a passion

-Wild

aysiu
June 4th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Actually, considering the above two posts, Firefox really is the best. The way it comes, you can choose to use tabs or open in new windows as well. If you hate tabs, open stuff in new windows instead of new tabs. If you want some of your stuff opening in new windows and some opening in new tabs, you can do that as well. If you want to have all your stuff open in tabs, download the tabbrowser preferences.

Firefox's beauty is that it's customizable. You're not locked into one browsing model.

jerome bettis
June 4th, 2005, 09:21 AM
who cares if it has tabs. i want to know if it's still going to be a part of the operating system or just a stand alone app in user space like it should have always been. if they realized that this time, i might check it out.

bored2k
June 4th, 2005, 09:28 AM
who cares if it has tabs. i want to know if it's still going to be a part of the operating system or just a stand alone app in user space like it should have always been. if they realized that this time, i might check it out.
I kind of like my apps to blend with each other :-X (like Firefox and acroread7 ; konqueror and kpdf and gwenview and a gazillion kde apps). I just want it to be good and lightweight.

aysiu
June 4th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I kind of like my apps to blend with each other :-X (like Firefox and acroread7 ; konqueror and kpdf and gwenview and a gazillion kde apps). I just want it to be good and lightweight.

Apps blending with each other doesn't mean browser that's integrated into the operating system to the degree to which IE is with Windows. You cannot uninstall IE. You need it to download updates for Windows. It isn't an application. It's a part of Windows that can browse the internet.

allforcarrie
June 4th, 2005, 10:33 AM
I love tabs, i can middle click on a forum topic and have several open at the same time and close them as I go. This works well since most of my time is on various forums.

aysiu
June 4th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Agreed. Middle-click is my favorite button for the internet. I see four or five links on a page I'd like to read later--I middle-click them, and they load up in the background.

jerome bettis
June 4th, 2005, 07:32 PM

yeah i like my APPS to work together also. but i like my OS to not be controlled by these apps, but rather control them. what a novel idea ... 26 billion dollars couldn't even think of that! :-P

allforcarrie
June 4th, 2005, 11:41 PM
and i like double clicking tabs to make them close. I dont know what i would do without adblock.......

poofyhairguy
June 5th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Agreed. Middle-click is my favorite button for the internet. I see four or five links on a page I'd like to read later--I middle-click them, and they load up in the background.

Then if you want to close them....middle click!

Takis
June 5th, 2005, 01:47 AM
I just discovered last night what MS needs to implement to make some improvements. KDE (sorry, dunno if GNOME does this) has mouse gestures - outside of just Firefox! I've always loved Firefox cause you could do nifty things with mouse gestures, and just last night I discovered KDE does this already - I'm in heaven! \\:D/