PDA

View Full Version : FedEx lost my laptop

izanbardprince
March 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM
Oh, this makes me so mad I just have to write it down.

Last week my Compaq laptop, which has worked approximately half the time I've owned it, decides that it's going to screw up again, the touchpad goes all flakey and the DVD drive stops working entirely, the USB ports don't work, so I can't even back anything up to a flash stick.

HP's warranty was still good for another 2 months, so I shipped it to them, I get an e-mail saying they couldn't figure out how to log into the computer (I had written down my user name and password on the sheet provided), and so in the course of fixing it, they formatted the drive, and reloaded (joy) Windows XP on the damn thing, oh well..

On the way back, it went through Memphis, thats where FedEx lost the package, the last scan was it arriving there on the 16th, and it was overnighted, so it should have been here Monday.

I've been playing phone tag, they say they're looking for it, they haven't found it, and they've turned it over to Security, and if they can't find it by tomorrow, they'll send me a claim form to fill out.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Jonne
March 21st, 2007, 09:30 PM
I hope you didn't lose any important data... (and that you get a refund from either FedEX or HP)

PatrickMay16
March 21st, 2007, 09:44 PM
Man!! That sucks. They really nabbed your nuts with this one.

Did you have linux installed on it when you sent it to them? Or windows and linux? or just windows?
Just wondering.

mips
March 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM
IF they don't find it claim wisely ;)

H.E. Pennypacker
March 21st, 2007, 10:47 PM
The good news is that you may possibly get a better working laptop.

SishGupta
March 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM
It is stories like this that make me never want to own my own laptop. I wouldn't like having the repairs out of my control. I like owning a PC where if something goes wrong I can fix it myself. Its a little harder to do that with a laptop.

I have a laptop but it is technically my schools so if I have any problems there is a help desk. The people at the help desk say I could purposely damage my laptop and get an instant replacement from them...so...lol

Anyway, best of luck to you. I hope you had your stuff backed up and sensitive info encrypted.

hardyn
March 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
Well he did say that HP wiped the drive... so, what got 'lost' would have been the same as a new old hp.

I would be curious as to how many notebooks go 'missing' a year for a logistics company like fedex... i bet it would be staggering.

I had one go missing in fedex transit as well, im sure these things are getting 'lost' internally.

well stay on top of that insurance claim, and best of luck.

raublekick
March 21st, 2007, 11:31 PM
The good news is that you may possibly get a better working laptop.

definitely. usually the insurance pays for the price that you paid for the item. so if you paid $1500 for a laptop 5 years ago, they would give you $1500 even though that laptop would cost $400 on ebay. my friend got a Macbook Pro from the money he got after his 2 year old Thinkpad got stolen.

elephant007
March 22nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
Oh, this makes me so mad I just have to write it down.

Last week my Compaq laptop, which has worked approximately half the time I've owned it, decides that it's going to screw up again, the touchpad goes all flakey and the DVD drive stops working entirely, the USB ports don't work, so I can't even back anything up to a flash stick.

HP's warranty was still good for another 2 months, so I shipped it to them, I get an e-mail saying they couldn't figure out how to log into the computer (I had written down my user name and password on the sheet provided), and so in the course of fixing it, they formatted the drive, and reloaded (joy) Windows XP on the damn thing, oh well..

On the way back, it went through Memphis, thats where FedEx lost the package, the last scan was it arriving there on the 16th, and it was overnighted, so it should have been here Monday.

I've been playing phone tag, they say they're looking for it, they haven't found it, and they've turned it over to Security, and if they can't find it by tomorrow, they'll send me a claim form to fill out.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

whatever happened to this?? Some follow up please!

izanbardprince
March 22nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
Well, about an hour ago I got a call at home, they found my laptop in the terminal in Fort Wayne, Indiana and I drove up there and got it back.

Compaq fixed it, but now I'm going over it with a clean Windows XP disc to get their circus ware off it.

I'd really like to use Ubuntu on it, but it has an ATI chipset with a Broadcom 4318 wireless adapter, and neither one were very Ubuntu friendly, I got wireless when it felt like working and 2d video.

Anyway, yeah, they must have forgot to scan it or something, I don't know, I don't care, at least I got it back.

dbbolton
March 22nd, 2007, 03:38 AM
i have a compaq. i've had to send it in twice. both times, the entire hard drive was replaced. and now the warranty is expired.

it kind of feels like driving an engine that happens to have wheels attached across a wooden footbridge.

vamoosevarmint
March 22nd, 2007, 04:23 AM
I am glad you were able to retrieve your laptop, I have purchased my gateway 6 months ago now and still no problems, (price was right).

H.E. Pennypacker
March 22nd, 2007, 06:05 AM
Well, about an hour ago I got a call at home, they found my laptop in the terminal in Fort Wayne, Indiana and I drove up there and got it back.

Compaq fixed it, but now I'm going over it with a clean Windows XP disc to get their circus ware off it.

I'd really like to use Ubuntu on it, but it has an ATI chipset with a Broadcom 4318 wireless adapter, and neither one were very Ubuntu friendly, I got wireless when it felt like working and 2d video.

Anyway, yeah, they must have forgot to scan it or something, I don't know, I don't care, at least I got it back.

It's too bad they found it. There were hopes you would have gotten another laptop...hopefully one without an ATI card.

Josh1
March 22nd, 2007, 06:26 AM
It is stories like this that make me never want to own my own laptop. I wouldn't like having the repairs out of my control. I like owning a PC where if something goes wrong I can fix it myself. Its a little harder to do that with a laptop.

I have a laptop but it is technically my schools so if I have any problems there is a help desk. The people at the help desk say I could purposely damage my laptop and get an instant replacement from them...so...lol

Anyway, best of luck to you. I hope you had your stuff backed up and sensitive info encrypted.

Lol if anything happens to my laptop the people come and get it, they have a support factory here!

Polygon
March 22nd, 2007, 06:55 AM
if you have to send your laptop in for service

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DATA

most often then not, they just wipe the drive and reinstall windows to see if its the os's problem....

if not they probley send you a NEW laptop and send the broken one to get repaired and sent out

either way your data is pretty much history if you dont back it up.

glad you got it back though

Spr0k3t
March 22nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
What?! Fedex lost your Falcon-NW FragBook and gave you back a POS compaq? I'm sorry to hear that.

Jonne
March 22nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
I hate it that for most companies 'fixing' a computer means reloading Windows on it. I'm happy I've never had to go through something like that.

(hint: if it's hardware-related, and there's nothing wrong with the HD, you could just take it out (or replace it with an old/cheap HD). That way they won't be able to wipe your data ;).

Spr0k3t
March 22nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
I hate it that for most companies 'fixing' a computer means reloading Windows on it. I'm happy I've never had to go through something like that.

(hint: if it's hardware-related, and there's nothing wrong with the HD, you could just take it out (or replace it with an old/cheap HD). That way they won't be able to wipe your data ;).

Yeah, when I was abused by windows and had to send my lappy in for repairs, I would always pull the drive and cite pending litigations against one of their rival companies. Usually they would cater to my every need at that point. One time, it got me a free upgrade because I complained about the placement of the touchpad and dvdrom.

izanbardprince
March 22nd, 2007, 09:55 AM

Well, it's not even that I'm mad about.

I spent a lot of time removing their trialware and craplets from my system just to have them ship it back to me with them all re-installed.