PDA

View Full Version : free advertising

matthekc
March 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM
I think i know how to generate a little free advertising for linux. it involves digg like sites and popularity ranked video sites

lyceum
March 21st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Good idea, but I think they track the viewer, so if it is just you going there 1000 times, it only counts as one. You would need to get a really good number of people together for that.

:popcorn:

matthekc
March 21st, 2007, 04:40 PM
ubuntu is a large forum millions of members just need to pick a handful of videos and set people to it through links

matthekc
March 21st, 2007, 04:41 PM
maybe pick more distro agnostic videos and get other forums in on it too. well i'm off to bed i work tonight i'll check to see what you guys think later.

lyceum
March 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
ubuntu is a large forum millions of members just need to pick a handful of videos and set people to it through links

That is a good idea. When you get back, what videos did you have in mind? Are there any Ubuntu videos?

matthekc
March 21st, 2007, 06:16 PM
okay i couldn't sleep im wired and full of ideas. i slept late yesterday i'll be fine. here goes the plan.

1. set a date. i like the idea of a three day marketing blitz friday, saterday, and sunday. any more than that and we'll anger the video sites

2 pick videos. i think realistic videos of the true pros and cons of say the new ubuntu, fedora and pclinux,; some good beryl videos; and a few good videos to show gaming is alive on linux. there isn't even a lincity ng video on youtube. any more than a dozen videos would be overkill and would anger the video sites

3 organize, organize, organize. i think a different blog everyday with our intentions to say digg rootly slashdot and delicious would set it up. we digg it up the flood of people we unleash does our bidding. pick our victims i mean advertisers i think youtube, google video, and aol video would be great if they are all popularity driven

matthekc
March 21st, 2007, 10:03 PM
may 24 07 fedora
april 19 07 fiesty
originally jan 31 now when its ready! :( pclinuxos
last september suse(are we mad at suse because of novell) i could be happier but hold no grudges

so what do we want a review or a teaser style? i think it would prudent to wait till things are cemented which would probably put it in late june. also to note these distros are the top 4 on distrowatch. we wouldl need to communicate with the other forums soon at any rate

there are tons of great beryl and compize videos on youtube(no point reinventing the wheel) and i have seen one gaming video i like so we need fresh gaming video and distro or linux specific video depending on what you guys think i would like to see a video of popular apps with captions that explain stuff. what kind of things do we want for video.

we would probably need one blog per digg,rootly,ect site plus mirror any volunteers? All three video sites i mentioned have a popularity ranking

but i don't see much feedback here is this something we want? might it backfire? i was thinking if this is succesfull we could probably pull it off twice a year

lyceum
March 21st, 2007, 11:22 PM
To be honest if you find one that is cool enough and just post it, they will come. I am not sure that you could really get everyone organized. Right now you and I are the only two posting here :) I am going to check out (is it u-tube?) and see if I can find anything good. I am looking for video ideas for my site anyway.

matthekc
March 21st, 2007, 11:42 PM
it only takes a few hundred diggs to push something to the front of a digg like site from there it would be in the mobs hands really but i think if we used our time to create videos, vote on them internally, then set the digg trap we could turn video sites into a tool. We need to find out who would do video, blog, and digg pretty much in that order. i suppose if we get a following here the other forums would have to take us serious or be left out. if we aim for the technical section of youtube and i guess just popular for google and aol we would hit a good demographic on youtube and a slightly too broad one on the later two.

www.youtube.com try searching "linux games" "beryl" "ubuntu"

Frak
March 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM
Wow, sounds good to me, I know alot of people that would happily digg or vote towards Ubuntu, good way to advertise :)

matthekc
March 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM
so by my count we have about 3 months if we set a late june timetable we need video and bloggers.

I got to go work its just down stairs on the mess decks(uss theodore roosevelt) plus we get lots of breaks i work so hard. i'll be back soon.

Daveski
March 22nd, 2007, 12:04 AM
Like the idea. I'll certainly do what I can.

lyceum
March 22nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

A very cool Vista vs Ubuntu vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak

Ubuntu with looking glass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke-kel9zOFo

Mark Shuttleworth in the news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfTePHKzPo

Someone's homemade ad

Is this what you are looking for?

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
my 2nd class just gave me the night off funny we usually only break it down on weekends.
so i guess i should start finding videos as soon as i grab my laptop and get off the ship what a great night an orignal idea and all night to develop it

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
i think anything is good for not only to vote on but to inspire others

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
i didn't check the videos on the ship not enough bandwith these are awesome choices

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 01:08 AM
i found some of the same videos on google but they are just links to youtube the goal is not to crash youtube this is going to take some thought. we are going to want to do different videos so they are not all on youtube or use different video hosting services

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 01:20 AM
here are some links to reviews of video hosting sites if we use revver.com some of the disto's official videos could turn a profit bonus score!!!

http://www.dvguru.com/2006/04/07/ten-video-sharing-services-compared/

http://www.squidoo.com/videohosting/

Daveski
March 22nd, 2007, 01:28 AM
http://soapbox.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=2c874fc5-2820-4008-a19d-9d2650b327a4

or

http://soapbox.msn.com/video.aspx?vid=5c79d485-1071-420d-b122-01073df9a8cf

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 01:34 AM
i love the irony daveski its now target 0

Daveski
March 22nd, 2007, 01:42 AM
Oh that thought hadn't crossed my mind. :-)

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
if we get just one video to the front page of msn without ms pulling it in a blink thats a victory in my book all by itself

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 01:50 AM
enter the matrix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYgV2GlsufI its a slick video

lyceum
March 22nd, 2007, 02:03 AM
I liked the Vista vs Ubuntu best myself. It made Vista look like poop. I'd love to see THAT #1 on MSN :twisted:

finferflu
March 22nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
enter the matrix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYgV2GlsufI its a slick video
I don't think that makes a good impression on people about Linux. Because it is NOT about sunglasses and ultra-geek stuff. It makes it look elitarian. There should be something simpler, like the Vista vs Ubuntu + Beryl one, or something of that sort. No Matrix please.

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 02:09 AM
i like the energy i'm afraid it's more destructive than constructive. remember making ms look stupid is just a bonus side effect. hosting videos on revver and making the distos some advertising money now thats worth while!

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 02:14 AM
thanks finferflu i think the goal at this point is to make lists to choose from. that makes sense right? im really asking i'll have been up for 24 in an hour still wired though.

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
wow this is uber geek but cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqduQfm09c

finferflu
March 22nd, 2007, 02:18 AM
thanks finferflu i think the goal at this point is to make lists to choose from. that makes sense right? im really asking i'll have been up for 24 in an hour still wired though.
Yes, but before choosing I think it's best to have our audience in mind. If we are aiming at hardcore Windows users, then we need to show something more advanced, but if we are targetting ordinary users we need not to scare them, or the make Linux look unaccessible to the ordinary mind. We would need something straight forward and snappy at the same time.

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 02:24 AM
i only have to agree with you i think at this point linux has dual personalities you could buy a preconfigured system 76 or compile your own from source it can be super easy or hard which does appeal to different audiences. which audience is going to get more enjoyment from ubuntu, more likely to switch from cool videos?

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 02:37 AM
perhaps we should perform one of those focus group studies different kinds of people different videos what kind of reactions

finferflu
March 22nd, 2007, 02:45 AM
i only have to agree with you i think at this point linux has dual personalities you could buy a preconfigured system 76 or compile your own from source it can be super easy or hard which does appeal to different audiences. which audience is going to get more enjoyment from ubuntu, more likely to switch from cool videos?
I guess it would be the same audience that would buy Vista because "it looks cool!" I think that's the kind of mentality that thinks "if it looks good, it works better". So aesthetic is good, but we need to keep it simple.

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 02:48 AM
maybe someone who has a large family or group of friends in house could run this by them see how they respond to stuff like a focus group.

however if we show complicated stuff users will expect complicated stuff nevermind your right

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 03:26 AM
hey how do we get the moderators to sponsor this for a sticky? is this stick worthy it's going to be a long term project?

Frak
March 22nd, 2007, 03:29 AM
hey how do we get the moderators to sponsor this for a sticky? is this stick worthy it's going to be a long term project?

Maybe we should all together post a thread on why its important and why it should be stickied.

perhaps we should perform one of those focus group studies different kinds of people different videos what kind of reactions

Sounds good to me, the better the forums reaction, theoretically the better the world reaction :guitar:

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 05:24 AM
i'm pretty happy with how this is going. should we bring the other distros in yet... how do we want to organize this? we probably all will have our own bloggers and videos so how do we cooperate best for linux's sake.

Josh1
March 22nd, 2007, 06:39 AM
When feisty comes out digg it, i'm sure everyone will digg it and blow the servers apart. :p

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 06:51 AM
that works to a degree but we really need to reach more layman techs less avid digg readers. i think we've probably tapped that market dry.

I've been thinking about how to keep distros from strangling each other. we divide the list of videos in catagories beryl, apps, games, positive talk, and distros for example. we get everyone on the same list(still hurding cats) and make distros the last thing on the list. transfer the distro specific videos ownership to forum treasurers use the raster site which pays i think it was 20% on ad revenue to profit.

what do you guys think heh?

lyceum
March 22nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
I like the idea of focus groups. I e-mailed the videos in my list, as it seemed like a good mix to me. I'll post the results when they come in. May take the weekend or so though.

finferflu
March 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
We're really doing marketing here! :D

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
okay looking at the ranking on the video sites youtube might be the hardest because i think we need to set up a channel or be picked by an editor to get to the front. google will be the next hardest the top video had this many views 2,962,397 when i checked, but that also shows audience size which is 3 million engaged viewers :) . aol should go down easy with about 200 thousand views. msn should be the easiest as little as 10000 views should push us to the top of the tech category till ms may decide to pull our vids.

i'm going to sign up to the 4 major distro forums and maybe linux q's .org (what else?) then im going to make links on all the threads i make to each other to tie them together. i want to get that done today.

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
i've started threads at

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=539716

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/coffee-lounge/89535-free-advertising-linux.html?posted=1#post449531

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=151104

having a little trouble posting to suse and pclinux ate my thread probably the name free advertising i got in touch with moderators at both i'll edit this when things change

matthekc
March 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
some moderators are poking holes in my idea at linuxquestions.org it a good read i think i'm losing though

lyceum
March 23rd, 2007, 02:07 AM
okay looking at the ranking on the video sites youtube might be the hardest because i think we need to set up a channel or be picked by an editor to get to the front. google will be the next hardest the top video had this many views 2,962,397 when i checked, but that also shows audience size which is 3 million engaged viewers :) . aol should go down easy with about 200 thousand views. msn should be the easiest as little as 10000 views should push us to the top of the tech category till ms may decide to pull our vids.

i'm going to sign up to the 4 major distro forums and maybe linux q's .org (what else?) then im going to make links on all the threads i make to each other to tie them together. i want to get that done today.

wow. That makes it look really imposable.... Also, I read the liuxquestions thread. Looks like their answer is "no" :) It is not a bad idea, I just worry that it would be like the "don't buy gas this Thursday" e-mails that use to go around. And as for the new user perspective being twisted or what ever, that's why you have to get the "perfect" vid. Marketing as all about research and more research.

Daveski
March 23rd, 2007, 02:37 AM
... that's why you have to get the "perfect" vid.

Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LAXg_UmzTY

matthekc
March 23rd, 2007, 08:44 AM
well if we hit hard early in the morning to get to the top, describe our video's creatively, and just plain have good videos the regular google crowd might be curious enough to view our videos in mass which ultimately is our goal. Someone has to setup a channel on youtube someone with good bandwidth to upload video. the positive poll people are most likely the same who will digg for us.

aidanr
March 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure if I get the drift of what you're trying to do..

Are you proposing submitting ubuntu videos to digg (beryl type vids) and then organising people to collectively digg the submission to push it to the front page?

If so then I'm not sure if that's such a good idea, for one there are already numerous ubuntu/beryl vids on youtube already, also digg already gets tonnes (maybe too much) ubuntu submissions (lots are really linux related with ubuntu in the title to try to get to the frontpage), and also I don't think digg looks kindly on users trying to game the system to push their stories to the frontpage

Maybe I've misunderstood though, if you could clear it up and state exactly what you're trying to do

matthekc
March 23rd, 2007, 09:27 AM
you pretty much hit the nail on the head the goal is to make linux videos the most popular for a short period of time. As for abusing digg or the video hosts the systems are designed so popular stuff rises to the top if we are interested it is popular. So i don't really think it is abuse.

aidanr
March 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
As far as I know, digg's algorithm can detect when users are trying to game the system ie. it will see that the same set of users are all digging the same stories, just a heads up

Quillz
March 23rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
I think i know how to generate a little free advertising for linux. it involves digg like sites and popularity ranked video sites
Generally speaking, free advertising isn't usually a bad thing, so long as it's positive in nature.

lyceum
March 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
As far as I know, digg's algorithm can detect when users are trying to game the system ie. it will see that the same set of users are all digging the same stories, just a heads up

I mentioned that too. The idea here is to get about 100,000+ people to go to the same site same day to look at the vid. I do not think it is posible, but I am willing to give it a shot :)

matthekc
March 24th, 2007, 05:28 AM
It isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination to get our videos anywhere it would be best to have a number of people already in the loop in the hundreds of thousands(that sounds impossible but this forum alone has 260,408 members). So we need a large percentage of several forum communities to say "yes I’m in" for this to work. The people in the loop can hit the video direct no need to go to digg for them. The digg stuff is to get more people in perhaps even curious non-linux users. I set a timetable three months out so say in two months we set a poll would you view the videos for us if we don't get good results we can delay or cancel. the logistics are definitely going to take considerable thought since I don't think anything like this has ever been done before... it might take a week to push videos up I have no idea. This is new ground.

Frak
March 24th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I can picture the perfect commercial now, somebody using the various features of Ubuntu such as the office suite and what not, making background noises like "oh" and "this is good", and then we zoom out of the screen to see a "not so new" computer, zoom out a bit further and see Steve Balmer sitting there using it. Then we end with the line.

So Easy, Even Steve Balmer can use it.:lolflag:

matthekc
March 24th, 2007, 05:50 AM
i can see the broken furniture now

i had imagined one with groups of kids, elderly, office workers, ect... all standing in groups saying we use ubuntu together in unison than pick a person from each group a kid "(edu)ubuntu's program x taught me x", a grandma "(x)ubuntu helps me use this old computer to keep in touch with family", and an office worker "ubuntu has everything i need" than pan out to a large crowd "ubuntu linux for human beings"

Frak
March 24th, 2007, 05:53 AM
You know, for some reason, I like yours better. :-k

matthekc
March 24th, 2007, 06:12 AM
this is kinda fun i think somewhere a marketing dept. is missing someone.

ubuntu's gain

Frak
March 24th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Community is the greatest mind, when nobody's paid and its all done in vain. :)

matthekc
March 24th, 2007, 07:34 AM
i set the thread up at pclinuxos again with a different title in case it was seen as spam called it "how to generate some free advertising for linux" ... give it about a day if it dissapears again then pclinuxos is a no go. I have not got anything back from suse yet still can't post or reply??? maybe someone else could set the thread up there. I'm still debating how to link things just link in to this thread then have links from this thread out or link everybody everywhere.

lyceum
March 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LAXg_UmzTY

lol! that was awesome!

matthekc
March 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM
It looks like pclinuxos wants nothing to do with this the thread disappeared twice, not a peep on fedora, and mixed reviews elsewhere. This is starting to look like an ubuntu project. even if we can't get videos on the front pages of the big guys we can still focus on smaller sites and we can still use revver to generate some revenue for ubuntu (maybe enough for a real commercial). We just need to pick sites like msn soapbox that only need a few thousand views to get videos to the top. I need to look again to see how many subscribers push a youtube channel to the top.

lyceum
March 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
It looks like pclinuxos wants nothing to do with this the thread disappeared twice, not a peep on fedora, and mixed reviews elsewhere. This is starting to look like an ubuntu project. even if we can't get videos on the front pages of the big guys we can still focus on smaller sites and we can still use revver to generate some revenue for ubuntu (maybe enough for a real commercial). We just need to pick sites like msn soapbox that only need a few thousand views to get videos to the top. I need to look again to see how many subscribers push a youtube channel to the top.

Just let me know the date and the link. I run 4 different computers, so that leaves 999,996 ;)

matthekc
March 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I'm looking for video sites we can use. Here is a good starter list.

just looking at the youtube channels which is arranged by most subscribed per week it only takes 800+ subscribers to get to the first page and here is some more info on channels

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=57960&query=channels&topic=&type=
general help and info on channels can be found here. the channels themselves have a myspace feel. I don't have a ton of bandwidth so again if anyone is interested in the project and has bandwidth and time to spare.

msn's soapbox is going to be partially down for upgrades for two months I will reevaluate it when it comes back up.

tv.com's top tech video has 15000 views interesting to note a dual boot linux/apple system is a top tech video

www.metacafe.com has its video organized by rating so we get there early and rate our video high sounds easy

also great to note and support would be blip.tv which uses the open theora codec but it probably has mostly open source users so is outside the scope of our ad(preaching to the choir) blip also does advertisement revenue sharing(this would be a great place to host a visual how to series...just thinking)

there are more i've excluded for various reasons several i could not figure out how the video was sorted maybe i put more time into it but i think this is a decent start

beefcurry
March 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
hmm, its true, I've seen alot of Suse ads on the internet but never seen an ubuntu ad (as in a proper ad not a digg entry).

matthekc
March 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM
i had a thought for a video (see below) i was wondering if anyone works with groups like these and would care to make the clips to be edited together later. This would probably be a project with and in itself requiring its own coordinator.

"i had imagined one with groups of kids, elderly, office workers, ect... all standing in groups saying we use ubuntu together in unison than pick a person from each group a kid "(edu)ubuntu's program x taught me x", a grandma "(x)ubuntu helps me use this old computer to keep in touch with family", and an office worker "ubuntu has everything i need" than pan out to a large crowd "ubuntu linux for human beings"

also while i'm thinking about it again who in the ubuntu arena would be the person to take ownership of the profiting videos(if any)

matthekc
March 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM
i'm thinking about renaming and reorganizing the thread into a new version for two reasons one the title stinks and i don't know about you but i don't like 10+ page threads. opinions?

finferflu
March 26th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Good idea, since I've also lost track of what is going on...

ewtesterman@cox.net
March 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Not to poop on any ideas, but I think that the best way to get your free advertising going would be to use Myspace there are a couple of ubuntu pages, but they are not as good in appearance as what we as a community could make. I have some css that will blank a myspace page and let you build how you want, basically a div overlay. Anyway this is your target audience these are the people who use computers a lot and I am sure they are sick of the viruses and spyware. I am sure we could get some of our fellow ubuntu users to come up with some really nice graphics for the site. It only makes sense to use a community to spread a community distro. It could easily become a forum for communicating with the outside if you will. You could post your youtube videos on that site as well.

About the video's All the ones on youtube are very geeky surly we have some people in the community that could help make a better video, it would probably be wise to not show much about someone using ubuntu on a computer (curiosity can be very good), but instead make it a commercial I think a parody of the Mac commercials would be very funny and draw a lot of interest you could link to the geekier videos, but I think something funny will draw more interest. Anyway these are just my two cents. I really think the myspace page would do a lot of good. I may just do it anyway, but I am sure it would be much better if some of our more talented web developers got a hold of it. just as an example of the layout control I was talking about I have a basic one (my personal page) at www.myspace.com/oscoder (http://www.myspace.com/oscoder) Any way good luck with the project. Again I just think that is the largest concentration of the target audience on the web.

Update:
I forgot to mention the reason I thought myspace users to be a good target is they obviously like being able to theme out there stuff something that is difficult in windows, but maybe uploading a bunch of really good screen shots and making a nice flash slide show of them would help as well. Link to gnome-look.org and show them how easy it is to theme your desktop, just drag and drop.

matthekc
March 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM
well, i have sites to aim for in a list. we have had some good video suggestions i think having some original video would be nice. especially since the video has to be new for the rights to be certain so we could sign it over to someone to put on a profitable site. We need bloggers still!!! A little healthy debate on the date. I need someone to bounce a new thread's contents off of how about you finferflu you want the honers.

matthekc
March 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
no reason we can't do both plenty of places to spread the ubuntu spirit. I think aiming for tech video categories and mid sized video sites will be effective.

ewtesterman@cox.net
March 26th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I went ahead and secured a myspace account and will start working on it in the near future it is at www.myspace.com/use_ubuntu anything you want to add to it just send an email to it ubuntu@ossoonline.com .

matthekc
March 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM
i will make a point of adding that to my friends list as soon as its good. do you want to set yourself up when we make the new "help us generate free advertising for ubuntu and linux" (working title) thread or do you want me to paraphrase you

ewtesterman@cox.net
March 26th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I am sure that you can paraphrase me. you will link the two threads correct? I do need to make a request for web art, so I may have to make my own thread to get people to donate screen shots and web art. Also I remember that when I set up my last web site I could not find any web buttons like firefox had. If someone would be willing to make some I will host them if need be. Anyway what do you think should I start a Ubuntu Myspace thread?

matthekc
March 26th, 2007, 04:42 PM
yes i like linking things you've seen my thread right. :) you should check out the gnome and kde look sites for free art in the forms of backgrounds and icons

ewtesterman@cox.net
March 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I started this tread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=393935) to discuss the finer point of the myspace stuff.

matthekc
March 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
this thread is dead it replacement resides at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=393993