PDA

View Full Version : What about Ubuntu Cafe?

pmout
March 21st, 2007, 01:08 PM
What about create a "real" Ubuntu Cafe?
My idea is to create merchandising objects that anyone can bay to open a Ubuntu Cafe.
This cafe is a "real" meeting please with Ubuntu community spirit.
Waiting for feedback...
Thanks

frup
March 21st, 2007, 01:20 PM
I Like the idea but... realistically?

pmout
March 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM
The idea is to create merchandising stuff to a coffee with Ubuntu logo (bowls, plates, cups, adornments ...) for anyone who want to open a "real" Ubuntu coffee can do it. Create coffees with the same image anywhere in the world. Utopian?

daynah
March 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM
In my area, the local Buddhist center just opened up a World Peace cafe. The proceeds go to fund the Buddhist Center. And there's a lot of proceeds because the people who work the cafe are the nuns and monks and volunteers... so there's no payroll bill. It's hasn't been open for very long but it's a pretty happy, peaceful, hippy joint.

Like many Christian Churches you go to, the Buddhist center has like a bookstore in the front where you can get supplimental books, shrine items, ect. The World Peace Cafe also has a little area for things like that and even more hippy items that aren't so inhently Buddhist.

That's what I thought of when you said this.

This idea wouldn't fly as backed by Canonical, I hope you didn't think that. But I think that the idea of a Linux Computer Cafe with a Hippy sorta feel (coughcoughubuntu) could fly.

I'm not sure a computer cafe dedicated to an operating system, the ubuntu logo, everywhere would get that much attention. You would not draw in all computer geeks unless they really just needed their webmail, you might get linux geeks from other distros, but really your audience would be ubuntu geeks. That's pretty narrow.

If you did the Hippy/Computer cafe (really, did anyone not hear the definition of "ubuntu" and think "what a buncha hippies"), you would pull in ubuntu geeks, linux geeks, hippy geeks, if you served normal food in addition to uber healthy and odd food for the hippies, you'd get people just needing their morning caffine fix, and maybe also people just needing to check their webmail.

Much wider audience. But those hippies, man. When they find something they really like, they latch on, tell all their friends. They're loyal to the bone. They're good customers.

Now, this all doesn't work if you really don't like the smell of hippies. Then again, geek smell isn't all that plesant either.

lyceum
March 21st, 2007, 04:29 PM
I would start off with an e-shop selling the merch and go from there, but sounds like a good idea. You may want to start a poll, "Do you buy Ubuntu stuff" and there is an Ubuntu store at ubuntu.com. Good thought though

:popcorn:

macogw
March 21st, 2007, 05:37 PM
there is an Ubuntu store at ubuntu.com

needs black t-shirts

lyceum
March 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM
needs black t-shirts

Could not agree more!!!!! Black with a white ubuntu logo.

IYY
March 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Two Linux Cafes already exist: one in Toronto and one in Japan. They are both fairly successful.

Adamant1988
March 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't mind an Ubuntu Cafe myself, lol.

Brunellus
March 21st, 2007, 10:24 PM
our last Ubuntu-DC meetup turned the Love Cafe on U Street into an ubuntu cafe. It was pretty good. Spek might have overdone the caffeine, tho.

H.E. Pennypacker
March 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM
What about just a general cafe with a name that promotes Linux/Ubuntu? It doesn't actually have to be about Linux/Ubuntu, or a Linux users gathering place. It could just be used to promote Ubuntu/Linux (e.g. the name, signs, coffee names, etc.).

kahrytan
March 21st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Think Small People. Buy some Ubuntu cd packs that come in boxes. Or make them. And get permission from store managers to leave a box on the counter.

pmout
March 22nd, 2007, 12:56 AM
That's it my idea... and maintain Ubuntu community spirit... this doesn't mean free cafe.
...Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'Humanity to others', or 'I am what I am because of who we all are'. The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

pmout
March 22nd, 2007, 12:58 AM
That's it my idea... and maintain Ubuntu community spirit... this doesn't mean free cafe.
...Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'Humanity to others', or 'I am what I am because of who we all are'. The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

macogw
March 22nd, 2007, 05:07 AM
What about just a general cafe with a name that promotes Linux/Ubuntu? It doesn't actually have to be about Linux/Ubuntu, or a Linux users gathering place. It could just be used to promote Ubuntu/Linux (e.g. the name, signs, coffee names, etc.).

Oh yeah, green tea frappucinos can be SuSE, something blueberry can be Fedora, something cherry would be Red Hat, chocolate would be Ubuntu...

macogw
March 22nd, 2007, 05:09 AM
our last Ubuntu-DC meetup turned the Love Cafe on U Street into an ubuntu cafe. It was pretty good. Spek might have overdone the caffeine, tho.

He's always hyper. He was kinda bouncing though...I liked Love Cafe. We have to go back. Ditto on Ben's Chili Bowl. That vegetarian chili is great. But yeah, we took up the whole back room at Love Cafe with all our laptops running Ubuntu :D

RAV TUX
March 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
What about create a "real" Ubuntu Cafe?
My idea is to create merchandising objects that anyone can bay to open a Ubuntu Cafe.
This cafe is a "real" meeting please with Ubuntu community spirit.
Waiting for feedback...
ThanksGreat idea....there is a similar idea that was set forth a little over a year ago....some aspects have been done, like the google hosted e-mail accounts...but little if any interest has been shown, overall.

https://launchpad.net/~cafeubuntu (https://launchpad.net/%7Ecafeubuntu)

Spek is cool and our UUG meet up was cool.

He's always hyper. He was kinda bouncing though...I liked Love Cafe. We have to go back. Ditto on Ben's Chili Bowl. That vegetarian chili is great. But yeah, we took up the whole back room at Love Cafe with all our laptops running Ubuntu :D

So guys when is our next meet up?,...when and where?

Spr0k3t
March 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
A cafe which promotes the positive influence of the ubuntu way would be brilliant. Design it not as a Linux friendly computer coffee shop, but as a coffee shop with a wireless hotspot. You could set up a couple computer systems with live discs on them with varying distributions. If you run out of distributions for patrons to take freely, offer a $0.25 discount for anyone who brings in a current distribution (LiveCDs only). Another option would be to plan a single day out of the week to be a "discount disc" day. Similar to the "distro watch" you could have a board for "coffee watch" updated daily with the preferred drink.

Just a few thoughts.

pmout
March 22nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Great idea....there is a similar idea that was set forth a little over a year ago....some aspects have been done, like the google hosted e-mail accounts...but little if any interest has been shown, overall.

https://launchpad.net/~cafeubuntu (https://launchpad.net/%7Ecafeubuntu)

In this site there are a great idea

"...an actual linux cafe that also recycles old windows and apple computers to donate to needy school systems.."

I think it can be easily integrated in Ubuntu cafe. It doesn't mean that all cafes have one recycle center. It can be done creating a 'recycle center' and cafe can be use to spread the idea.

pmout
March 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
I mail to trademarks@ubuntu.com:

"Hi
My name Is Pedro Moutinho and I just open a thread about creation of 'What about create a "real" Ubuntu Cafe?' in Community Cafe
I just like to know about legal issues about using Ubuntu logo in a "real" cafe."

And I got the answer:

The Ubuntu logo and name are registered trademarks of Canonical. We're
happy to grant permission for you to use the logo under the following
conditions:

(a) You observe the logo usage rules described on our website at:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/TrademarkPolicy ;

(b) Somewhere on the product you recognise that Ubuntu is a trademark
of Canonical Limited.

The logo usage rules basically boil down to "use the logo as is -
don't change it" and I don't expect they should cause you any
trouble.

Kind regards
Marilize

Gargamella
March 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM
it may become somthing like hard rock cafè...but extremely better :D

kahrytan
March 22nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
How about you just start a regular Cyber cafe. With some exceptions.

1. All Computers run Ubuntu and Kubuntu.
2. Main computers run with Compiz or Beryl. Give the customers some eye candy.
3. There will be a game room. Each computer will run on Ubuntu w/o eye candy. They will be configured to play Windows games on them.
4. Tech Support center to help new users with their Ubuntu computers. (For a fee)

Other then that, It will be your standard cyber cafe that still runs to this day. Yes, they still exist in this modern age. The WebCity Cafe (http://www.webcitycybercafe.com/) is just one of them.

Another benefit of the cafe will be to have a local Ubuntu group. And just another way to get people hooked on ubuntu.

With Canonical permission, The cafe could be called Ubuntu™ Cafe.

linuxcaffe
May 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
Now really, have you not heard of linuxcaffe (http://linuxcaffe.ca), in Toronto ? It's almost exactly what the OP described; cozy neighbourhood joint, with dark organic coffee and everything (except the ATM) run linux, and mostly ubuntu, at that. The cash register, the jukebox, the wifi access points and a small fleet of rental thin-client (XDMPC) laptops. We talk linux all day every day, with n00bs and kernel hackers, and do our best to infuse everything with the open source ideals. Redhat hackers just held a Fedora9 release party and ubuntu-ca gathers here for seasonal celebrations.

This is as close to an "ubuntu" cafe as exists, as far as I know.

Do visit next time you're in Toronto.

djp