PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else hate their parents?

DoubleONerd
March 21st, 2007, 09:31 AM
does any one else here, support lynix, but have parents just to darn THICK to get it?
i just want 2 c if im a loner or not! :lolflag:

camz
March 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
My dad kind of understands it but he doesn't want to try because "Windows is easier"

jvc26
March 21st, 2007, 10:06 AM
Nope, my parents are totally open to getting it back home, but their warranty depends on them keeping XP so they do. On the other 2 computers we run Ubuntu and on the server FreeBSD.
Il

bapoumba
March 21st, 2007, 02:10 PM
Moved to "Community Cafe".

SishGupta
March 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM
Studies have shown that it is much harder for adults to learn new skills and abilities than it is for pre-adults. The trend pointed to the older you got, the harder it was to learn.

It is a combination of this and the fact that it is likely that your parents did not grow up with computers that is creating this "thick headed" effect you are being affected by.

Basically, you are not alone. It can be challenging to get people to switch OS's and you are definitely not alone in feeling that you hate your parents. I am pretty sure every person ever has uttered that phrase at least once.

Staplerchild
March 21st, 2007, 02:46 PM
My parents have issues switching browsers, so I seriously doubt they'd want to switch operating systems. Also, my dad kind of refuses to acknowledge that his daughter could have a better understanding of technology than he does, despite my being an engineering student, so there really isn't a point in trying to convince him. :s

PatrickMay16
March 21st, 2007, 02:49 PM
My dad is a nice man. He uses windows. He uses Mac OS X. He drinks the whiskey drink. He drinks the cider drink. He drinks the vodkda drink. Danny boy. Danny boy. Danny boy.

OffHand
March 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM
My dad couldn't install Windows on an old laptop so he popped in an Ubuntu CD and the laptop is up and running now. He did this without my help. My dad is 63 ;)

ezphilosophy
March 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM
their

purdy hate machine
March 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM
Does any one else hate there parents?

does any one else here, support lynix, but have parents just to darn THICK to get it?
i just want 2 c if im a loner or not!

Oh the irony!

daynah
March 21st, 2007, 03:36 PM
I hate your parents, too, sweetie. Ask them to find a better grammar school for you.

More seriously, My dad got me into Linux. It was Red Hat and I hated it. Now I use Ubuntu and he can't (his computer says "Drive appears confused" and "Nobody cares" but someone posted a possible solution, we're going to try it tonight). He's quite jealous.

He also got me into meditation and I now volunteer at a Buddhist center, though me and my whole family are Christians.

Though my dad's pretty cool, I still hate him at times, and I know when I was younger, the frequency of the times I hated him was higher than the current frequency.

Basically, you're going to hate your parents. That's as much a part of puberty as getting pubes.

The sooner you get though it (it being any stage of puberty, being physical, the uncontrolable ones, or psychological) the sooner everyone around you will see you as an adult and will treat you with the higher level of respect an adult deserves.

Until then, both you and I are stuck in this teenagery limbo where each day we get a differing amount of respect, and we feel we're walking in a minefield. But you can whine about the process of growing up that nature gave you, or you can deal with it and try to plot the mines.

Ya? Ya.

happy-and-lost
March 21st, 2007, 03:59 PM
My people have exactly the same troubles in Windows as they do Linux. Makes no difference to them which they use.

lyceum
March 21st, 2007, 04:42 PM
My step mom got mad when my dad went behind her back and put XP on her box. When I told her about Linux (after hearing her gripe about Windows being slow and shutting down on her) she replyed, "why switch, Windows works just fine!" My dad switched, well dual booted, when he saw the price of Vista. And by the way, I am a dad myself, and switched just fine. ;)

laredo7mm
March 21st, 2007, 04:55 PM
Hate is a pretty strong word, there are plenty of better reasons to "hate" someone, but I wouldn't let which OS they use be a factor on whether or not they make it onto the "hate list."

The nice thing about being an adult is that you can do as you please (within reason), accept others' differences, and not have to do what your children tell you to do.

tszanon
March 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
My dad couldn't install Windows on an old laptop so he popped in an Ubuntu CD and the laptop is up and running now. He did this without my help. My dad is 63 ;)

Congratulations to your dad! :)

DrOlaf
March 22nd, 2007, 03:50 AM
My dad is a nice man. He uses windows. He uses Mac OS X. He drinks the whiskey drink. He drinks the cider drink. He drinks the vodkda drink. Danny boy. Danny boy. Danny boy.

If he gets knocked down, does he get up again?

ceeg
March 22nd, 2007, 04:22 AM

For a 63 year old man, that is quite impressive!

Anthem
March 22nd, 2007, 04:40 AM
You hate your parents because they use a different operating system? That's not cool, man. In fact, it's pretty ridiculous. Get some perspective.

EDIT: Also, I'd watch out on calling your parents THICK, as I'd bet they're able to spell "their" correctly.

FuturePilot
March 22nd, 2007, 04:48 AM
Actually I noticed that since I installed Ubuntu on the shared PC, my mom has been using Ubuntu more and more. Now she prefers to use Ubuntu over Windows. She even said it runs better and does what I tell it to do. And that was before I told her Linux was better than Windows. It's one thing when you tell someone about Linux, it's another when they experience it first hand.

tehhaxorr
March 22nd, 2007, 04:53 AM
You claim that your parents are thick,yet you managed to use the wrong "Their/There" in the context of your sentence.

I find this extremely ironic.

BigBabyDaddy1968
March 22nd, 2007, 04:59 AM
An old axiom: The older you get, the smarter your parents were....

Elitism of any kind is twuntism. Just because your folks don't "get" a certain distro is meaningless. The fact you don't seem to "get" that speaks volumes. Do they care what OS you use, as long as it doesn't bugger the PC?

some_random_noob
March 22nd, 2007, 05:14 AM
Hey, my 12 yearold step brother has joined and posted a thread :lolflag: ... hi dale!

Scarlett
March 22nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
My parents must be geniuses by now. ;)

I'm so proud of them though. They started off with a few years ago with Windows 95 and AOL and eventually migrated over to Mac and Firefox. Mom can even tell me which animal she's got under the hood. (Panther, Jaguar, Short-haired Domestic? IDK.) They've got a website and a blog and Mom's pretty darn proficient with Photoshop. Dad...well, he can check his e-mail. Go Dad.

But even if they were completely clueless I'd love them.

Motoxrdude
March 22nd, 2007, 05:24 AM
My parents must be geniuses by now. ;)

I'm so proud of them though. They started off with a few years ago with Windows 95 and AOL and eventually migrated over to Mac and Firefox. Mom can even tell me which animal she's got under the hood. (Panther, Jaguar, Short-haired Domestic? IDK.) They've got a website and a blog and Mom's pretty darn proficient with Photoshop. Dad...well, he can check his e-mail. Go Dad.

But even if they were completely clueless I'd love them.

Aw, I need to call my dad now.
Nice to see someone else who respects their parents. ;)

moosejaw
March 22nd, 2007, 05:28 AM
My mother passed away last year, on Valentines day, at the age of 54.

In no way do I relate love or hate with my parents regarding something so absoultely assinine.

I hope you rethink your question...

H.E. Pennypacker
March 22nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
I don't know why people are talking about the OP's use of "there." This is very common on the Internet. So many people use "there" instead of "their," I don't even pay attention to it anymore. If this goes on for a while, it is quite possible that "there" will become the English standard, and widely recognized, as being the replacement for "their." People used to spell "their" differently back in the day, I am sure.

fenian
March 22nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
People used to spell "their" differently back in the day, I am sure.

The word their has evolved from the old english word hiera.

pirothezero
March 22nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
It helps out if they don't even use windows xp at all :) Keep nudgeing them gently and if you have spare parts around the house build a linux desktop and put it next to the family desktop and see if anyone in your families interests peeks.

Next time I go over to my mom's I am setting here up on ubuntu since all she does is email/aim with me and internet (rarely).

WalmartSniperLX
March 22nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
My mom is a so so person and my dad simply wont use anything other than windows because he doesn't feel like trying something else since windows is supported everywhere. Its also important for his business since all the software he works with works in windows, and I doubt he would want to try to learn Wine or Xover (or use a virtual environment).

der_joachim
March 22nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Doesn't anybody else think it is ironic that the OP seems to hate his/her parents for a totally moronic reason and asks him/herself if he/she is a loner?

fuscia
March 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
anyone else notice a postcount of 0, for the op?

siimo
March 22nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
My dad is an electronics engineer, he works in a company that manufactures embedded hardware and on some of those they use linux.. so he needs to hack the kernel sometimes :mrgreen:

He uses Debian/Testing on his home machine not sure what they have at work probably RHEL.

Mom is a chemistry professor and uses windows on her dell laptop. Though she is familiar with linux systems at her work.

Falconix
March 22nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
My parents didn't had any choice, over one day I transformed their's computer from Windows XP to Linux (Ubuntu 6.10) It took about 2 days of using the computer untill my father asked me if there was a new system in the computer.

My sister didn't like the new desktop which she calls it, but when she finaly learned how to install new games and have using aMSN for a while she doesn't like Windows anymore.

So the transition was allmost painless.

ntwknut
March 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I realise that the title should not be taken seriously of course, but speaking as a long-serving parent it really does sound horrible.
Also hardly fitting in the general sense in the spirit of "UBUNTU".

From - somebody's doting Dad.

cunawarit
March 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
I’m not a dad yet, but I’m old enough to be one… I truly hope my offspring will not hate me over something as trifling as my OS of choice.

tszanon
March 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
I’m not a dad yet, but I’m old enough to be one… I truly hope my offspring will not hate me over something as trifling as my OS of choice.

They won't. You are a Linux user, right? :lolflag:

cunawarit
March 22nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Yep. But I also use Windows on a couple of my desktops, and Symbian on my phone... Well, if they do hate me I'm leaving the apartment to charity ;)