PDA

View Full Version : We will miss you Rav_Tux

STREETURCHINE
March 21st, 2007, 07:38 AM
sorry to see you go ,you always had an interesting subject to read ,an interesting site to visit ,i personaly looked forward to login on every day just to read your posts.

as to dell well i am not a fan (and i have good reason not to be)

as to the complaints well i would take them with a pinch of salt ,the individuals seem very self opinionated .

but all the same it will be a sad loss to the forums these few people should learn to concentrate on the posatives and and not the negatives.

so it is a sad day for the ubuntu forums ,and i wish you all the best in the future

steven8
March 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM
Yer darn tootin' RAV will be missed. I don't know what the heck happened, but all I know is I think of RAV as being one of Linux's best amabassadors!! One of the nicest, most helpful people in the forum. I will click on a thread just because he is the most recent poster!!

fuscia
March 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM
i saw that he was stepping down as moderator, but i thought he was going to still participate as a member - http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=389457
is there something i missed?

STREETURCHINE
March 21st, 2007, 08:13 AM
he will be missed as a moderator,he was one of the nicest most helpfull person i met on here yes he said he will still be a member ,it is still sad to lose a mod ,who has put in so much effort on these forums

fuscia
March 21st, 2007, 08:17 AM
he will be missed as a moderator,he was one of the nicest most helpfull person i met on here yes he said he will still be a member ,it is still sad to lose a mod ,who has put in so much effort on these forums

it's hard to imagine the other os forum being the same without him as moderator. on the other hand, he never struck me as much of a 'rules guy', so maybe this'll be a good oppurtunity for him to run around without a leash.

sloggerkhan
March 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Agreed that he'll be missed as a moderator.

STREETURCHINE
March 21st, 2007, 08:33 AM
it's hard to imagine the other os forum being the same without him as moderator. on the other hand, he never struck me as much of a 'rules guy', so maybe this'll be a good oppurtunity for him to run around without a leash.

and what rules has he breached ?

floke
March 21st, 2007, 08:40 AM

Oh no! :guitar:

fuscia
March 21st, 2007, 08:54 AM
and what rules has he breached ?

none that i know of. why do you ask?

karellen
March 21st, 2007, 08:57 AM
maybe I missed something, but what in fact happened with Rav_Tux?:confused:

STREETURCHINE
March 21st, 2007, 08:59 AM
none that i know of. why do you ask?

you said he was not much of a rules guy ,i took it you had some info we didnt

fuscia
March 21st, 2007, 08:59 AM
maybe I missed something, but what in fact happened with Rav_Tux?:confused:

i don't know if this had anything to do it with it, but it's the only thing i've seen remotely related - http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388283

fuscia
March 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM
you said he was not much of a rules guy ,i took it you had some info we didnt

oooooooooh, i get it. i think there is probably pressure on the moderators to behave in a 'sober'(?) manner. rav strikes me more as a 'let it loose' kind of guy. i don't mean that he can't moderate, only that he might be more comfortable not being in that position. even if i wouldn't suck as a moderator, i'd probably be even more uncomfortable in that position than i imagine him to be. that's all i meant.

karellen
March 21st, 2007, 09:22 AM
i don't know if this had anything to do it with it, but it's the only thing i've seen remotely related - http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388283

ok, I got it...:D

steven8
March 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
adamant1988. 'Nuff said. . .

floke
March 21st, 2007, 09:46 AM
How DARE Rav Tux have a longer signature than anyone else?
It's soooooooooo unfair. Someone call da police.

Since when did this turn into pettyland?

slayerboy
March 21st, 2007, 09:55 AM

Nothing personal with anyone, as I haven't been on these forums long enough to know...but that's a tarring and feathering if I've ever seen one! IMHO, that sounds like a personal vendetta or something.

I've just never seen that happen on any forum before! LOL

STREETURCHINE
March 21st, 2007, 09:58 AM
adamant1988. 'Nuff said. . .

exactly

Spr0k3t
March 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Interesting. Having had to deal with issues in other threads, I understand the injunction made by adamant1988. Petty is the signature length yes, but there are other issues to be concerned about. That said, Rav_Tux has helped quite a few poeple, I have no doubt in my mind about that.

karellen
March 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM
I tend to be neutral...:)...even if adamant1988 seemed pretty honest and objective to me. but it's really not that important...

KiwiNZ
March 21st, 2007, 11:04 AM
I have removed the last 2 posts and placed yhem in the jail. Please do not let this thread turn into a witch hunt.

glotz
March 21st, 2007, 11:11 AM
What is this thread all about?

xyz
March 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM
This all reminds me of my girlfriend somehow: she knows perfection doesn't exist yet tends to demand it from others.
No real need to be sooo adamant. (http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2002/04/27.html)

slimdog360
March 21st, 2007, 11:19 AM
This all reminds me of my girlfriend somehow: she knows perfection doesn't exist yet tends to demand it from others.
No real need to be sooo adamant. (http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2002/04/27.html)

hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaahahahahaa

Adamant1988
March 21st, 2007, 11:34 AM

Hehe, that's punny. I'm sure RAV TUX is a great person and I look forward to him still being a member.

OrangeCrate
March 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM
"What we do is never understood, but always only praised or censured." (Nietzsche)

Rav_Tux, I hope you never lose your individuality. I have found it to be highly refreshing.

Stick around, I think we can have some fun now that you aren't a moderator...

kazuya
March 21st, 2007, 12:47 PM
Ouch, this is bad news for me. He was so great at picking up the latest news on new distros to try along with very refreshing twist on things. He would surely be missed by me. I come to this forum with first thought of what he was going to post today. Always very informed. I guess one can still contact him here or on his web-page.

We'll miss you chief. Else, I'll find you somewhere else if not here.

Bartender
March 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM
RAV -
I second Orange Crate's comments.

First things first. Your wife should feel secure that she hasn't lost you to Ubuntu.

Once you've got that part of your life back in balance, I'm hoping you'll find time to contribute and express your opinions.

BTW, I don't like Dell either ;)

Iarwain ben-adar
March 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM
+1 from me,

I'll miss you RAV.

With the utmost respect to you,

Benjamin

PapaWiskas
March 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM
[Edited by jdong -- that's not necessary.]

Just keep doing your thing RAV...you are all heart brother!!!!:guitar:

Obor
March 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM
+1 for RAV
I've always enjoyed your posts

graabein
March 21st, 2007, 01:44 PM
+1 for personality. -1 for signature length!

OrangeCrate
March 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Hehe, that's punny. I'm sure RAV TUX is a great person and I look forward to him still being a member.

I've taken the time to read as much about this situation with Rav_Tux as I can find, in particular, here (as was referenced earlier in this thread):

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388283

While frankly, I think you had some valid points, I'm afraid that by pushing this, you've probably boxed yourself in, as it relates to your participation in this forum. Though I won't be one of them, there will be members with very long memories, and you can plan on them scrutinizing your posts from here on out.

It will be a sad state of affairs, as this forum is such a wonderful resource for Ubuntu help and information, but I'm afraid, that you'll be in for a "running gunfight" often when you post.

A piece of advice...

When you decide to go to the mat on an issue in the future, whether it be here, or in other aspects of your life, I hope you will think through the consequences of your actions before you act. As has been said, you may have won the battle, but you may have lost the war...

hoagie
March 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM
Rav you will be missed as a moderator.

You really were a great moderator.

You will be missed (master) chief.

23meg
March 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM
This was a good decision, made by the right person at the right time. While RAV TUX may be a well meaning person and regarded as a positive forum persona by many, his overall contribution wasn't of the sort to be expected from a staff member of the official forums.

Regarding the title, he isn't going anywhere; he's just stepping down as a moderator.

webdr
March 21st, 2007, 02:02 PM
Well, way to go...
I guess that at some point and time all of us are capable of having complaint of one another. It seems a shame that MOB mentality has seemingly pushed a very decent contributor to the side lines.

We all know that tempers flare, and flames fly, but I'm afraid that if this type of activity is not checked, then it could fray the very fabric which is the Ubutnu community, the community feel and sense of being that comes along with being involved.

I'm proposing a simple set of guidelines far all to follow in these types of situation.

1) If you have a problem, try to handle it via PM first.
2) If one on one PM is not helpful, discuss the issues further on sidebar with TRUSTED other members whom are familiar to the issue(s), If they see it the same way, then perhaps they can PM as well,

Well, this is very nearly an utter waste of time I guess, because anyone whom can type and read should already have a familiarity with doing the right thing.

Live long and prosper and allow those around you to do so as well.
RacerX

nsleiman
March 21st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Wish you all best Rav, i really enjoy reading your posts/articles.

Ubuntu goes on.

lyceum
March 21st, 2007, 03:23 PM
Rav, if only you could have kept your signature smaller ;)

I am glad to see you will be spending more time with your family. With that said, I really hope you read this thread and stick around. Just because you can't mearge threads anymore does not mean that you can't help out. I always enjoy seeing your side of things. You have a great way of looking outside the box. I always though it was cool that you used other distros but still "worked" here. If you take a break, it is well desrved. If you leave, you will be missed. Hope to see you around.

RAV TUX
March 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM
First and foremost: Thank You! for the well wishes. It does my heart good that there are in fact people who see the good in my service and valuable time I freely gave to ubuntuforums.org.
This I did out the goodness of my heart without need or want for any kind of return.

Keep in mind that I have only resigned from volunteering as a moderator, I am still here as a member of the community.

Please do not hold Adamant1988 or maxamillion responsible for my decision or any other member of this forum, I have been contemplating this for some time now, I have made my decision independently of this or any other factor. As many of you may know ubuntuforums.org is the largest and most successful online community that is Linux based. I have worked hard to help preserve this trusted stature of ubuntuforums.org within the community. With this volunteer position comes the investment of a great deal of time, as stated before I have sacrificed much precious time that I should be giving elsewhere in my life, specifically this time is best invested into loving my wife and the expansion of happiness in our marriage, and yes if you are wondering sacrificing precious time to freely give to the ubuntuforums.org board does take away time from a marriage. Just the other day a Spammer had posted 16 spam post after issuing infractions and requesting his IP be banned in the staff forum, nearly 30 minutes of time had been consumed. This is snapshot of one sliver in time of many needed duties in moderation. If anything for me personally I am relieved of this "privileged burden of time" and now free to enjoy ubuntuforums.org to it's fullest extent as a member of the community.

Also I most note that after I resigned and posted my public resignations I had found an e-mail sent to me by Ryan that the FC did in fact decide to de-mod me but that they had not yet had a procedure in place to do this, and they asked me to do what I had already done. To step down and say my goodbyes. Please do not judge the FC harshly as I had previously stated I stand behind their decision 100% and support it completely. What is most important here is the greater good of the community as a whole, and I trust in their judgment that they have made the right decision. Keep in mind that their decision had no bearing on my decision because I had already resigned and posted my resignation in the staff and public forums. I am still Thankful for the privilege and opportunity to serve this community, freely as a volunteer.

I will still be here as a member of ubuntuforums.org, keep in mind that I still serve as a staff member of sabayonlinux.org and help them mod their forum. The Sabayon forum community is much smaller and only takes a fraction of my time commitment.
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/

Also as many members have stated I host my own Forum also at http://cafelinux.org/forum/
I primarily use this forum as a community blog in a forum format; that has resource extensive post, such as youtube post, and very large images to use as Beryl skydomes, caps or desktop wallpaper. I do have very tasteful Nude fine art photography posted so you are required to be 18 or older for membership.

Also keep in mind that there is a small group of ubuntuforums.org underground members that chat at #ubuntuforums.org at the irc.peekko.com host.

Add Peekko Chat (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1825/) to your Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/) and join us at #ubuntuforums.org on the irc.peekko.com host.

At the ubuntuforum.org underground.:)

maniacmusician
March 21st, 2007, 06:07 PM
I do have very tastefully Nude fine art photography posted so you are required to be 18 or older for membership.

[RAV sits back and watches as members flock to CafeLinux] :)

In regards to the issue, I agree that RAV can be a little extreme and at times, his behavior is not fitting for a mod. However, I would rather have talked it out and asked for an adjustment from him rather than go the route of de-modding (and take note that Adamant did also propose the adjustment).

I don't think giving him another account to be frivolous would accomplish anything, because the perception of him as a mod would still be there no matter what. Anyways, sorry you had to step down, RAV, you were a pretty good mod, not counting the times you get a little excited about stuff. But on the bright side, I'm sure you and your wife will be pleased with the end result ;)

macogw
March 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
oh and the bunnies! They (Rav and Leah) just got a new pet bunny. It's all orange and soft. I like the baby bunny. Now he can play with the 4 little bunnies (one of them is named Fawn, and she's a very "feisty" critter) and his Leah. If anyone in the DC metro area wants to pet a soft little bunny, they're in Rav's apartment in Silver Spring ;)

spinflick
March 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
I have just one word PASSION dont ever loose it RAV TUX :)

dbbolton
March 21st, 2007, 07:53 PM
jozef is the man

gosh
March 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Well I feel sorry for you Rav_Tux.
Is there no room to agree to disagree?
Plz keep droppin' by on this forum

kazuya
March 21st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yes, jozef aka Rav Tux would always be a MOD in my eye anyday. He was one big reason I came to the Ubuntu forums even after switching primarily to zenwalk, pclinuxos, and sabayon ofcourse. I still advocate Ubuntu/Mint to others and I'm waiting for Herd final. I like RavTux try out different distros. The guy was totally dedicated to trying out different distros and reporting his true opinion. I loved this even when some were a little contrary to mine as regards pclinuxos. But, he quickly made OTHER OS TALK, and Ubuntu Cafe my favorite stops first thing in the morning.

I regret his departure, but I guess it was better for him and his time. I have registered now to his cafe web site as he keeps me and I am sure many aware of things like rpath, nepalinux, wolvix, etc...

De-modding would have been overkill in my opnion if that had happened. He has a right to voice his opinion on things. I disagree sometimes, but I agree a lot of times. I do not only want some mods that totally voice no opinion, but what was politically correct. If that was the case I would still be using XXX linux / windows.

Adios, great one.

FuturePilot
March 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM
RAV TUX is leaving!? I'll miss you RAV TUX.:( I always enjoyed reading your threads as they were always interesting. Best wishes in the future. See you around RAV TUX:wink:

sdman
March 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Im a outsider and new to the forum and this isn't being dealt with professionally at all. It doesn't look good to other new members reading this and getting the idea that they can publicly form a linching party to try and hang a moderator via a post. Adamant1988 I understand you have problems with Rav which is fine but by bringing them to a open forum to finish off your crusade is immature,unprofessional and is a out and out low blow. Shame on the current moderator and admins for allowing this to reach to this height via the forum. Rav Im surprised you went along with the forum discrimination this long but it really shows that you do care. Unlike you I have nothing to lose so I can switch to a new OS and a new community.

Adamant1988
March 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
Im a outsider and new to the forum and this isn't being dealt with professionally at all. It doesn't look good to other new members reading this and getting the idea that they can publicly form a linching party to try and hang a moderator via a post. Adamant1988 I understand you have problems with Rav which is fine but by bringing them to a open forum to finish off your crusade is immature,unprofessional and is a out and out low blow. Shame on the current moderator and admins for allowing this to reach to this height via the forum. Rav Im surprised you went along with the forum discrimination this long but it really shows that you do care. Unlike you I have nothing to lose so I can switch to a new OS and a new community.

I went through the appropriate channels to file my complaint. I do agree I wish there was a little less "public execution style" of way to file a complaint against a staff.

ComplexNumber
March 21st, 2007, 09:45 PM
sdman
just to let you know, i am led to believe that RAV was going to step down anyway. no-one has forced him out, and there are no known hard feeling between RAV and anyone else :).
although i haven't know him long, i know that RAV is a genuinely good person and a good moderator. but being human, he has his faults just like everyone else.
please don't go down the road of conspiracy theories and all that, and just let sleeping dogs lie.
thanks.

sdman
March 21st, 2007, 09:49 PM
You posted it firstly I have no sympathy for you. If you wished it wasn't so that bad you would've never posted it in the first place. Your reply was within a matter of minutes of my reply... That shows me that your watching this thread like a hawk and your not satisfied with Rav still being around.

matthew
March 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Since RAV TUX has chosen to step down from his staff position in these forums this issue is now resolved.

As an official statement from the Forums Council we would simply like to say publicly that we have considered RAV TUX a valued member of our staff, and of these forums. We greatly appreciate his service to this community and we look forward to his continued contribution to these forums as a valued member of the community.

The events that have transpired are not related to the resolution center thread regarding RAV TUX's opinions of Dell, HP, or any other specific matter. The Forum Council would like to affirm that the staff are free to express their personal opinions and beliefs.

Finally, the Forum Council advises members not to blame, single out, or otherwise extort any individuals that are felt to be involved in this. This thread was created by users to express kind words to RAV TUX. Please let the thread do that.

EdThaSlayer
March 21st, 2007, 11:55 PM
:(
Rav Tux always seemed to make the forums more energetic with his funny personality and strange topics(Yub Nub!! :) ). But anyways, good luck Rav Tux :) .

mykalreborn
March 22nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
never really knew him - personaly that is ;) - but he was an up-right fellow.
the one time he got me really annoyed - indirectly - is when he opened the "how does your animated beryl skydome look like?" thread, because it reminded me once again that my graphics card does not support composite. :D
cheers mate!

macogw
March 22nd, 2007, 06:11 AM
You posted it firstly I have no sympathy for you. If you wished it wasn't so that bad you would've never posted it in the first place. Your reply was within a matter of minutes of my reply... That shows me that your watching this thread like a hawk and your not satisfied with Rav still being around.
Adam's a good kid, and he's a member of NU Ubuntu LoCo Team, something Rav's in charge of. They're not enemies, and he did say that he just thought he should be reprimanded (I assume that's what he means by "attitude adjustment") in the other thread. Besides, I know Rav personally, and his wife really was getting a bit miffed with his constant computer time.

maniacmusician
March 22nd, 2007, 06:29 AM
:) yeah, I can imagine she must have been. People will get over this incident though, just like they have over others (I can remember a couple of biggies over the past year), and it'll calm down after a while.

By the way, macogw, I just noticed the Human Rights Campaign thing in your sig; very cool. I'd been wondering where the yellow equal sign was from. That site looks surprisingly well-maintained and has a lot of great stuff. Thank for the link.

macogw
March 22nd, 2007, 06:38 AM
jdhore has an HRC avatar as well. I never did finish redoing my resume after I formatted my hard drive. I was going to apply for a paid internship there, but hey, I'm getting the spot of LGBT Chair at GW (George Washington Uni) Dems next year :)

maniacmusician
March 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM
jdhore has an HRC avatar as well. I never did finish redoing my resume after I formatted my hard drive. I was going to apply for a paid internship there, but hey, I'm getting the spot of LGBT Chair at GW (George Washington Uni) Dems next year :)
way to go! Yes, I did notice that jdhore has the same avatar....I thought you guys might have been in the same LocoTeam or something, and that was the reason for the avatar. Either that, or a "corny" reason like he was your boyfriend (who I remember just because you once mentioned that he writes hardware drivers for Linux and I thought that was really interesting).

Back on topic (which is still off-topic for the thread :) ) a paid internship at a place like that would be quite nice. It's really easy to be passionate about that kind of stuff, and it's very self-actualizing to engage in activities like that.

I'm planning on attending Hampshire College (amherst, MA) this fall, and I hope they have some opportunities like that as well. It'd certainly make things more interesting.

PS: just saw the picture in your profile; do you play guitar? that looks like a bass, but it's not clear enough to see.

fuscia
March 22nd, 2007, 07:41 AM
I went through the appropriate channels to file my complaint. I do agree I wish there was a little less "public execution style" of way to file a complaint against a staff.

why not just pm an administrator, if you wish it not to be public? (i'm just asking, as i don't understand why one would feel obligated to do it publicly.)

jdong
March 22nd, 2007, 08:03 AM
why not just pm an administrator, if you wish it not to be public? (i'm just asking, as i don't understand why one would feel obligated to do it publicly.)

It's acceptable procedure to file a complaint about a staff member using the Resolution Center, and adamant1988 followed proper practices. He also did a good job of composing his thoughts in a manner that wasn't personally attacking. Adamant1988 spoke his thoughts in a respectful manner compliant with the Code of Conduct, and it was not a "public lynching" as some are making it out to be. Neither him nor anyone else deserve to be singled out or harassed for expressing disagreement in a respectful way, and those who do not think so should think more carefully about the Code of Conduct and the spirit of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu was built around, amongst other things, the spirit of an open process, and the Resolution Center was created to address outstanding community complaints that the off-the-record method of resolving conflicts was not working well.

As previously mentioned, this thread was created for saying kind words to Rav-Tux. The Forum Council has already made an official statement about this issue, and I would rather not see it discussed in this thread. Any additional posts in this thread that are off-topic by the preceeding criterion will be jailed, and infractions may be issued.

Let's keep it positive and friendly.

igknighted
March 22nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
This news saddens me greatly. Rav was one of my favorite mods. I liked the fact that he was more like a "normal user" (albiet a more experienced one than I). I think the forum needs mods of all types and he filled a valuable niche. Hopefully he sticks around, his opinions/experiences in the "other OS" forum have been invaluable.

RAV TUX
March 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
I wanted to take the time to respond to each post personally,...I greatly appreciate the kind words given here and the kind words by the members who choose to PM me.

At a difficult time true friends come shining through, those who were bold enough to post and let their honesty and opinions be known I salute you....

This is not a conform or be cast out kind of place, and I want everybody to be welcomed here, new comers and regulars please know you should never be afraid to speak your mind, even if your thoughts prove to be unpopular you can only best be honest, with yourself and those around you. Please as always everybody at all times respect other peoples opinions even is they conflict with your own. As long as these opinions are respectful to each other and not discriminatory to others, they are valid.

Mostly remember to always have fun:)

sorry to see you go ,you always had an interesting subject to read ,an interesting site to visit ,i personaly looked forward to login on every day just to read your posts.

as to dell well i am not a fan (and i have good reason not to be)

as to the complaints well i would take them with a pinch of salt ,the individuals seem very self opinionated .

but all the same it will be a sad loss to the forums these few people should learn to concentrate on the posatives and and not the negatives.

so it is a sad day for the ubuntu forums ,and i wish you all the best in the future

Thank you STREETURCHINE for your kind words, not such a sad day keep your chin up mate:)

I am still here as a member....look for my post and if you don't see me for a while you know where to find me....

Yer darn tootin' RAV will be missed. I don't know what the heck happened, but all I know is I think of RAV as being one of Linux's best amabassadors!! One of the nicest, most helpful people in the forum. I will click on a thread just because he is the most recent poster!!

This does my heart good to know that there are people here that enjoy my presence...I have always thought of ubuntuforums.org as my online home.....

keep in mind I am not being kicked out, and in my departure as a mod only means I don't have to work hard to clean house, now I can just come as guest, have a drink and kick up my feet and enjoy the company...

keep in mind that the admins and mods are here to serve us, the community, for without the community this forum would not exist...but also keep in mind that we should always be Thankful for a job well done by those who work hard to serve us and give us a nice place to hang out.

To all my former fellow staff members I know the work is hard, and stress can be high, just remember to take time off and enjoy life, so you don't burn out.

I as a member of this community know what you sacrifice to serve....I am confident that each staff member can pull together and keep things running smoothly just as they always have....your time you volunteer is greatly appreciated.

i saw that he was stepping down as moderator, but i thought he was going to still participate as a member - http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=389457
is there something i missed?

fuscia....Thanks for reminding people that in reality nothing has changed I am still here as a member of this community.

The time lost that I sacrificed to this community can never be regained,...I appreciate the kind words given to me by members that they appreciated my real life sacrifices that I gave...

The fact that even if only a few members appreciated my work as a mod, made my sacrifices here worthwhile...

I appreciate the kind words and Thank You's

RAV TUX UNLEASHED!...sounds exciting...lol

Agreed that he'll be missed as a moderator.

everything should be done in moderation, even though I am not a moderator I will be here in moderation, I guess that still makes me a moderator, just in a different sense of the word.

Oh no! :guitar:

OH YES!...RAV TUX UNLEASHED!....LOL

maybe I missed something, but what in fact happened with Rav_Tux?karellen I have become enlightened....the Zen Enlightenment of RAV TUX

oooooooooh, i get it. i think there is probably pressure on the moderators to behave in a 'sober'(?) manner. rav strikes me more as a 'let it loose' kind of guy. i don't mean that he can't moderate, only that he might be more comfortable not being in that position. even if i wouldn't suck as a moderator, i'd probably be even more uncomfortable in that position than i imagine him to be. that's all i meant.

fuscia unleashed....meet RAV TUX unleashed!...lol

Nothing personal with anyone, as I haven't been on these forums long enough to know...but that's a tarring and feathering if I've ever seen one! IMHO, that sounds like a personal vendetta or something.

I've just never seen that happen on any forum before! LOL

there is more to the story then meets the eye but lets not ruminate, I am not committing self defenestration.

That said, Rav_Tux has helped quite a few poeple, I have no doubt in my mind about that.

I have always enjoyed helping those in need...for any and everybody I am always available to help, here as a member, at http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/ as a moderator, and as mentioned before at http://cafelinux.org/forum/

I hope to continue having fun and making friends...

I'm sure RAV TUX is a great person and I look forward to him still being a member.

Adamant1988....Thank You for your kind words, my only question to you is:

As a member of the NU Ubuntu Team, why haven't you started a LoCo Ubuntu Team for West Virginia yet, don't they still need a State Team formed still?

"What we do is never understood, but always only praised or censured." (Nietzsche)

Rav_Tux, I hope you never lose your individuality. I have found it to be highly refreshing.

Stick around, I think we can have some fun now that you aren't a moderator...

nice quote,...and yes I will be around...to have fun....

look for :

RAV TUX UNLEASHED!...LOL

Ouch, this is bad news for me. He was so great at picking up the latest news on new distros to try along with very refreshing twist on things. He would surely be missed by me. I come to this forum with first thought of what he was going to post today. Always very informed. I guess one can still contact him here or on his web-page.

We'll miss you chief. Else, I'll find you somewhere else if not here.

you know where to find me.

RAV -
I second Orange Crate's comments.

First things first. Your wife should feel secure that she hasn't lost you to Ubuntu.

Once you've got that part of your life back in balance, I'm hoping you'll find time to contribute and express your opinions.

BTW, I don't like Dell either

Bartender, I'll drink to that. Actually last night I did drink to that I had 2 Guinness (http://www.guinness.com/) and one Grey Goose (http://www.greygoosevodka.com/) in your honor....

Thank you Bartender

I actually don't have anything against Dell, I own a Dell XPS Gen 5...nice machine with minor flaws.

+1 from me,

I'll miss you RAV.

With the utmost respect to you,

Benjamin

Benjamin the respect goes both ways, but don't miss me just find me; I am, if not here only a click away.

[Edited by jdong -- that's not necessary.]

Just keep doing your thing RAV...you are all heart brother!!!!:guitar:

all heart with a bit of character....lol

+1 for RAV
I've always enjoyed your posts

Cool keep the joy alive look for me, and come visit me, visit for no reason.

+1 for personality.

golly gee shucks:oops:

Rav you will be missed as a moderator.

You really were a great moderator.

Ypu will be missed (master) chief.

hoagie Thank You, Thank you very much.

While RAV TUX may be a well meaning person and regarded as a positive forum persona by many,

Regarding the title, he isn't going anywhere; he's just stepping down as a moderator.

Thanks for the kind words, and yes I am still an active member of the community.

Which you all best Rav, i really enjoy reading your posts/articles.

Ubuntu goes on.

The beat goes on....keep an eye out for my post and look for me often.

Rav, if only you could have kept your signature smaller

I am glad to see you will be spending more time with your family. With that said, I really hope you read this thread and stick around. Just because you can't mearge threads anymore does not mean that you can't help out. I always enjoy seeing your side of things. You have a great way of looking outside the box. I always though it was cool that you used other distros but still "worked" here. If you take a break, it is well desrved. If you leave, you will be missed. Hope to see you around.

lol...I blame the sig....stupid sig...lol

The Other OS forum was and is one of the greatest assets to ubuntuforums.org

It has and will continue to bring countless members here, when someone does a Google search for Wolvix or Sabayon and they find a Google hit for ubuntuforums.org this is a positive way to bring people to our warm and inviting community...

not that we are in need of members but it is a positive message to the Linux community that ubuntuforums.org is welcoming to all...

This can be seen in action here...

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=284708

when the developer of Wolvix did a Google search to find a thread in ubuntuforums.org's Other OS forum...

how does this effect ubuntu in real life...while people may say that is insignificant we have plenty of members, while this is true but what is happening is that the member base being attracted is also developers...this can increase the potential to bring on new developers, and I have never found a distro that doesn't need more developers,...

Even the X Sabayon co-lead developer Chris is currently using Kubuntu...(last I spoke to him he was)....again the Other OS forum is one of the most important forums here and I believe I had a large role in it's formation and development.....if anything ubuntuforums.org is a ambassador for Linux, all of Linux, through the Other OS forum.

This is a significant and positive contribution to the community as a whole.

sorry you had to step down, RAV, you were a pretty good mod, not counting the times you get a little excited about stuff. But on the bright side, I'm sure you and your wife will be pleased with the end result

Thanks for your kind words maniacmusician.

oh and the bunnies! They (Rav and Leah) just got a new pet bunny. It's all orange and soft. I like the baby bunny. Now he can play with the 4 little bunnies (one of them is named Fawn, and she's a very "feisty" critter) and his Leah. If anyone in the DC metro area wants to pet a soft little bunny, they're in Rav's apartment in Silver Spring

I knew you liked the bunnies...LOL

I have just one word PASSION dont ever loose it RAV TUX

I am a very passionate man.

jozef is the man

Thanks dbbolton.

Well I feel sorry for you Rav_Tux.
Is there no room to agree to disagree?
Plz keep droppin' by on this forum

No worries, It's all good, and I will continue to drop by

Yes, jozef aka Rav Tux would always be a MOD in my eye anyday. He was one big reason I came to the Ubuntu forums even after switching primarily to zenwalk, pclinuxos, and sabayon ofcourse. I still advocate Ubuntu/Mint to others and I'm waiting for Herd final. I like RavTux try out different distros. The guy was totally dedicated to trying out different distros and reporting his true opinion. I loved this even when some were a little contrary to mine as regards pclinuxos. But, he quickly made OTHER OS TALK, and Ubuntu Cafe my favorite stops first thing in the morning.

I regret his departure, but I guess it was better for him and his time. I have registered now to his cafe web site as he keeps me and I am sure many aware of things like rpath, nepalinux, wolvix, etc...

De-modding would have been overkill in my opnion if that had happened. He has a right to voice his opinion on things. I disagree sometimes, but I agree a lot of times. I do not only want some mods that totally voice no opinion, but what was politically correct. If that was the case I would still be using XXX linux / windows.

Adios, great one.

The beauty about Linux is it teaches use to always have have an open mind and constantly be free thinkers, I will be the first to admit that I am completely out of the box,....perhaps too out of the box to be staff but now that I am officially unleashed,....lets have fun.

RAV TUX is leaving!? I'll miss you RAV TUX. I always enjoyed reading your threads as they were always interesting. Best wishes in the future. See you around RAV TUX

Still here, not gone and definitely not forgotten...hehe

there are no known hard feeling between RAV and anyone else .

although i haven't know him long, i know that RAV is a genuinely good person and a good moderator. but being human, he has his faults just like everyone else.

No hard feelings but I do have a soft spot in my heart for kind words...:)

Thank You for the kind words.

Since RAV TUX has chosen to step down from his staff position in these forums this issue is now resolved.

As an official statement from the Forums Council we would simply like to say publicly that we have considered RAV TUX a valued member of our staff, and of these forums. We greatly appreciate his service to this community and we look forward to his continued contribution to these forums as a valued member of the community.

The events that have transpired are not related to the resolution center thread regarding RAV TUX's opinions of Dell, HP, or any other specific matter. The Forum Council would like to affirm that the staff are free to express their personal opinions and beliefs.

Finally, the Forum Council advises members not to blame, single out, or otherwise extort any individuals that are felt to be involved in this. This thread was created by users to express kind words to RAV TUX. Please let the thread do that.

Thanks for the kind words and honesty Matthew.

Rav Tux always seemed to make the forums more energetic with his funny personality and strange topics(Yub Nub!! ). But anyways, good luck Rav Tux .

YubNub is God!....lol

There used to be a firefox extension call "RubNub for YubNub" but it is long gone, but not forgotten.

never really knew him - personaly that is - but he was an up-right fellow.
the one time he got me really annoyed - indirectly - is when he opened the "how does your animated beryl skydome look like?" thread, because it reminded me once again that my graphics card does not support composite.
cheers mate!

hmm you know I can only get XGL working for me....my apologies for the annoyance...

Thanks for the kind words, mate.

cheers!

Adam's a good kid, and he's a member of NU Ubuntu LoCo Team, something Rav's in charge of. They're not enemies, and he did say that he just thought he should be reprimanded (I assume that's what he means by "attitude adjustment") in the other thread. Besides, I know Rav personally, and his wife really was getting a bit miffed with his constant computer time.

Adam is a good kid.

Please encourage him to start a West Virginia LoCo Ubuntu Team if one has not been started yet.

This news saddens me greatly. Rav was one of my favorite mods. I liked the fact that he was more like a "normal user" (albiet a more experienced one than I). I think the forum needs mods of all types and he filled a valuable niche. Hopefully he sticks around, his opinions/experiences in the "other OS" forum have been invaluable.

Ha....Now I am just like you....I am normal...well maybe not normal...lol

I am no longer a mod with stigmata

but a "normal" member with personality;)

Adamant1988
March 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Adamant1988....Thank You for your kind words, my only question to you is:

As a member of the NU Ubuntu Team, why haven't you started a LoCo Ubuntu Team for West Virginia yet, don't they still need a State Team formed still?

Unfotunately, my recent pollings around town have revealed me to be one of approx 4 full time Linux users. Two Ubuntu users (Myself included), A preacher who uses PCLinuxOS and a college student who swears by slackware. I'll also be moving to Pennsylvania in June and won't be able to manage anything I start here, so that's why I haven't tried.

lyceum
March 23rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Glad we'll still be seeing you around Rav! Just don't let al this love/fan mail go to your head ;)
And I agree, the "Other OS" part of the forum really shows the spirit of ubuntu. Ask a question about another disrto or even (dare I say it?) Windows on a Linux forum!!!! No a problem for Ubuntu, we have enough to go around :D

RAV TUX
March 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Glad we'll still be seeing you around Rav! Just don't let al this love/fan mail go to your head ;)
And I agree, the "Other OS" part of the forum really shows the spirit of ubuntu. Ask a question about another disrto or even (dare I say it?) Windows on a Linux forum!!!! No a problem for Ubuntu, we have enough to go around :Dnothing going to my head yet,...

I actually trust windows and OS X advice from a Linux users perspective...then being cast into the darkness....

anyway thanks for the good words again and keeping me in check and my feet on the ground:)

hoagie
March 24th, 2007, 09:28 PM
RAV thanks for taking the time answering to my post. You're geat.

PS: Now I noticed that I have misspelled "you" in my original post... damn it!

sloggerkhan
March 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I think it's crazy/amazing that you responded to every poster, RAV. Even as short and negligable a post as mine. Thanks!

fuscia
March 24th, 2007, 09:45 PM
fuscia unleashed....meet RAV TUX unleashed!...lol

(oy!)

mykalreborn
March 24th, 2007, 09:53 PM
rav tux, let me ask you, how does it feel to be so darn popular? :lolflag:

sloggerkhan
March 24th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I got a new avatar:
http://ubuntuforums.org/g/index.php?n=159
I will might make a new one for fuscia's hats, too.

RAV TUX
March 24th, 2007, 10:36 PM
RAV thanks for taking the time answering to my post. You're geat.

PS: Now I noticed that I have misspelled "you" in my original post... damn it!

Good Welcome Hoagie, but I have to admit your user name hoagie reminds me that I am very hungry

I think it's crazy/amazing that you responded to every poster, RAV. Even as short and negligable a post as mine. Thanks!

probably more crazy then amazing to be honest.

(oy!)

Oy Vay!!:)

rav tux, let me ask you, how does it feel to be so darn popular?

friends are always very, very nice and it is good to be home....and welcomed

I got a new avatar:
http://ubuntuforums.org/g/index.php?n=159
I will might make a new one for fuscia's hats, too.

That is a most awesome avatar indeed!

LOL

(I like it so much I had to take a screenshot)

sloggerkhan
March 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM
If anyone want a fuscia one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/index.php?n=160

mykalreborn
March 24th, 2007, 10:39 PM
sloggerkhanm that's just genius.

RAV TUX
March 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM
If anyone want a fuscia one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/g/index.php?n=160

sloggerkhanm that's just genius.

I agree with mykalreborn, sloggerkhan you are pure genius....

You are creating a Dead Head like following within the Linux circles:lolflag:

Quillz
March 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I'm too lazy to read this thread. RAV TUX still seems to be here... Is (s)he no longer a moderator or something?

sloggerkhan
March 24th, 2007, 10:50 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=392551

Thread for both.
Cause fuscia's thread got closed.

RAV TUX
March 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I'm too lazy to read this thread. RAV TUX still seems to be here... Is (s)he no longer a moderator or something?Still here as member of the tribe, resigned from my moderator volunteer position

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=392551

Thread for both.
Cause fuscia's thread got closed.

Ok I have to admit the only thing that is confusing is I have to take a double look when I see your avatar...to make sure it is not me and I am not talking to myself again....LOL

zubrug
March 25th, 2007, 02:05 AM
OK Rav, now that you are one of us, WHAT DO THE BEENS/SAYINGS MEAN?
Wish I could handle sh-t like you, good show tux!

RAV TUX
March 25th, 2007, 02:21 AM
OK Rav, now that you are one of us, WHAT DO THE BEENS/SAYINGS MEAN?
Wish I could handle sh-t like you, good show tux!

Life gives you lemons, make lemonade....then sit in the shade and enjoy life

do you mean beans?....like

Way Too Much Ubuntu
randomness?

Thanks for the good words over all:)

xXx 0wn3d xXx
March 25th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Well Rav, you may remember me and you may not. I do however wish you the best of luck in whatever you plan to do. I am glad that you will still remain an active member though. :) See you around the forums.

RAV TUX
March 25th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Well Rav, you may remember me and you may not. I do however wish you the best of luck in whatever you plan to do. I am glad that you will still remain an active member though. :) See you around the forums.of course I remember you....and Thanks for the well wishes I need them:)