PDA

View Full Version : Vista Refund

elephant007
March 21st, 2007, 03:57 AM
My story in short, I purchased a new Dell Inspiron E1505 with Vista Home Premium. I was very dissatisfied with Vista, it's short comings, it's fault, flaws, etcetera, etcetera

I asked Dell for a refund for selling the faulty product called Vista, since they sold it to me pre-installed on my laptop. They tried to tell me that I got it free because it was bundled with my laptop... okay I was going to keep this short.... Dell gave me a $ 55.00 refund for my "inconveniences", so I get to keep Vista.... hmmm

YAY!!!!

dbbolton
March 21st, 2007, 04:14 AM
you should post this in the cafe, since this isn't really a request for help.

an interesting anecdote nonetheless.

elephant007
March 21st, 2007, 04:19 AM
good point, I'll see if I can get the thread moved.

cowlip
March 21st, 2007, 04:39 AM
Dell is a Tier 1 OEM, they pay 50 dollars per Vista volume license per processor, I believe. Dell is despicable for this behavior IMO.

Quoth the Microsoft Vista EULA:

By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the
software. Instead, return it to the retailer for a refund or credit. If you cannot obtain a refund
there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country for information about Microsoft’s
refund policies. See www.microsoft.com/worldwide. In the United States and Canada, call (800)
MICROSOFT or see www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm.

People have been able to get refunds before so I'm glad this is still ongoing, thanks for going to this trouble elephant007; perhaps one day they'll sell Linux ;)
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/110706-dell-windows.html http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/110806-dell-windows-refund.html?fsrc=netflash-rss http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/279926.stm

Spr0k3t
March 21st, 2007, 07:22 AM
Seen this before... different situation. Dell is horrible about giving refunds for the OS.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388961

elephant007
March 22nd, 2007, 12:12 AM
The thing is, I get to keep my copy of Vista Home Premium. I've sworn off of any Microsoft Products at home, maybe I can just give it to a co-worker... now why would I want to give something to someone that I wouldn't use myself? Ah, never mind... I'll hold on to it and file it in "another crappy Microsoft Product" file

joe.turion64x2
March 22nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
The thing is, I get to keep my copy of Vista Home Premium. I've sworn off of any Microsoft Products at home, maybe I can just give it to a co-worker... now why would I want to give something to someone that I wouldn't use myself? Ah, never mind... I'll hold on to it and file it in "another crappy Microsoft Product" file

Unfortunately there are devices that sadly will only work in Windows, that is why I keep my Windows XP Media Center Edition, otherwise I would be unable to use the webcam and the card reader at all.

johnsjt
June 13th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Just an update to a really old thread. It took me three calls, but I was able to get an OEM refund for my copy of Vista. The first two people seemed to know what I wanted and pretty much hung up on me. The third guy was the best. He did not understand what I wanted, but was happy to speak to his supervisor. Once that was done, he understood and gave me the credit for $50 that he was told was the Dell OEM Value for Vista Home Premium.

This was on a 1525 laptop. I did not know about the Ubuntu 1525N laptops until after my purchase and I did not want to deal with an entire system return. I suppose, now thinking about it, I should have that way it would register as a linux sale to Dell. DOH.

Either way, the guy on the phone seemed interested in what I was doing and asked me where he could find more information. So perhaps he will find out that you don't *HAVE* to have Windows in order to have a computer.

All comments aside, it was a really simple process once I got someone who would just listen to me. And yes, it was someone in a call center not of US origin.

Polygon
June 14th, 2008, 01:22 AM
when you boot up your computer for the first time, it asks you to agree to the licence. you cant return it if you already accepted it.

madjr
June 14th, 2008, 02:00 AM

give it to me, i know how to install vista in 2 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno

:lolflag:

Sealbhach
June 14th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I think Dell deserve credit for being willing to refund customers.

TwiceOver
June 14th, 2008, 02:15 AM
I think Dell deserve credit for being willing to refund customers.

Technically it is part of the Microsoft EULA that the OEM distributor must give refund if the EULA is not accepted. So give them credit for not making it a headache.

thrasher6900
June 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Hp isn't so friendly. I couldn't even switch to XP without having to manualy install all my drivers from intell's website.

All I ever get from their customer service is people with bad English and not really knowing what they are talking about.

When I first complained they offered to 'sell' me xp. What a load of bullocks that was.

Yea. Then come to find out that it isn't compatible if you buy your own. I guess you have to have their special factory installation disk in order to put XP on it, which by the way will take over your whole hd and erase everything, including your other os partitions, or they didn't know what they were talking about.

They said ready boost wouldn't work, but I found out on my own that it did.

It's pretty bad when a company like HP's staff don't even know what they are talking about when it comes to their product.

I was so irate. How can one buy a computer and not choose what OS they want? Oh yea, that's right, Mr. Gates buys rights to the drivers so you don't have a choice.

sauvesean
June 21st, 2011, 09:28 PM
I understand that this is a very old thread, but....

You can not use that copy of Vista on anything but the computer that it came with, legally. OEM copies of Windows are tied to the Original Equipment.

Iowan
June 21st, 2011, 11:12 PM
I understand that this is a very old thread, but....
Old and closed.