PDA

View Full Version : An automate script should be included on the desktop

NoTiG
June 2nd, 2005, 11:30 PM
why?

because alot of things like java and libdvdcss and other codecs cannot be included with the main distro. BUT if you make a script (maybe graphical to make it look better) with options to install them and more importantly RECONFIGURE the repositories with backports! because then it would be easier and more streamlined for new users.

SO legally.. you cant include somethings but can you have a script on the desktop that will install them of their own accord? i dont see how it could be illegal. and also your not forcing them to use the script... it would be optional!

i think this would make it the BEST distro for newbie users... if thats what you want however :P

Leif
June 2nd, 2005, 11:51 PM
Is this the same legally that's getting torrent sites shut down, even though they only point to copyrighted data, and don't necessarily host it ?

23meg
June 2nd, 2005, 11:52 PM
maybe not a script, but a direct pointer to some basic wiki faqs that in turn directly link to a script.

NoTiG
June 2nd, 2005, 11:54 PM
Is this the same legally that's getting torrent sites shut down, even though they only point to copyrighted data, and don't necessarily host it ?

if its legal to host the automate script on these forums then why would it be illegal to put it on the desktop ?

Kyral
June 2nd, 2005, 11:54 PM
I'm one of those people who don't believe in doing things for people when you can easily teach them how to do it themselves. I see the current script as a way to speed things up, since I already know how to install all those things anyway by had. Indeed, I'd rather have the UbuntuGuide pop up instead. Even just a little command line experiance will be great, because I find I learn easier when I do the thing, not have some script do it for me.

So, no, a script shouldn't be includded :D

NoTiG
June 2nd, 2005, 11:58 PM
i would just like to say that that automate script made my transition MUCH easier. it is alot more comforting if basic stuff works right away... and THEN you can learn stuff you know.

also i believe this is the only way you will get alot of hardware with proprietary drivers to work automatically. Like the broadcom drivers are not free or whatever... but this script could point to a link on the internet to DL them... or ATI drivers or whatever.

it has alot of potential! dont dismiss it

Leif
June 3rd, 2005, 12:44 AM
if its legal to host the automate script on these forums then why would it be illegal to put it on the desktop ?

Because what's on these public forums is provided by individuals, not canonical, so it is not directly their responsibility. This is not about dismissing it out of hand; if there weren't copyright issues I'd be all for automatic setup of most of the things in the script and ubuntuguide.

NoTiG
June 3rd, 2005, 12:53 AM
Because what's on these public forums is provided by individuals, not canonical, so it is not directly their responsibility. This is not about dismissing it out of hand; if there weren't copyright issues I'd be all for automatic setup of most of the things in the script and ubuntuguide.

how can it be legal for windows to support dvd by default if its not for linux? it seems unfair. and as far as support.. if we are comparing this to torrent... you could say the same about torrent sites. they are not responsible for individuals right? but yet they still get taken down. so i dont see how the ubuntu forums are any different then canonical.

basically the question is: is this legal or not ?

if it isnt when does it become legal? for instance lets say you put a LINK to an auto script on the desktop. so thats basically a pointer to a pointer. does it then become illegal?

I think if ubuntu doesnt do this then some other distro will.

btw to think of what else can be included in the auto script... a good look in the Howto forums ... most of the popular threads there were written and posted to for a reason. For example the totem mozplugger.. the script could automatically do that and voila after you have the codecs your computer is media ready.

bored2k
June 3rd, 2005, 01:00 AM
Having an official is just as bad as including the files. Canonical does not have the right to distribute propietary stuff like mp3, java and w32codecs (wich are illegal), so they simply can not have this.

Ride Jib
June 3rd, 2005, 01:05 AM
how can it be legal for windows to support dvd by default if its not for linux? it seems unfair. and as far as support.. if we are comparing this to torrent... you could say the same about torrent sites. they are not responsible for individuals right? but yet they still get taken down. so i dont see how the ubuntu forums are any different then canonical.

if it isnt when does it become legal? for instance lets say you put a LINK to an auto script on the desktop. so thats basically a pointer to a pointer. does it then become illegal?

I think if ubuntu doesnt do this then some other distro will.

btw to think of what else can be included in the auto script... a good look in the Howto forums ... most of the popular threads there were written and posted to for a reason. For example the totem mozplugger.. the script could automatically do that and voila after you have the codecs your computer is media ready.
not only this, but Ubuntu includes a Torrent Client with the distro. I don't see how that is any different than including a script to guide installing software. Just put a disclaimer in the begining saying something like *know your local laws concerning XXXX as it is illegal in certain places*

And then ask a Y/N before installing each software segment.

NoTiG
June 3rd, 2005, 01:09 AM
Having an official is just as bad as including the files. Canonical does not have the right to distribute propietary stuff like mp3, java and w32codecs (wich are illegal), so they simply can not have this.

Are you a lawyer ? are you sure? they wouldnt be distributing anything proprietary . an auto script is simply a text file that first changes your repositories and then points you to a couple of files.

If the files to play dvd's (libdvdcss) are proprietary and linux can't legally distribute then it will NEVER be mainstream. it seems ridiculous that its illegal to have an automated script on the desktop but if it was hosted on this site its legal. doesnt make sense. And btw you shouldn't sound so certain about it. maybe you are wrong :P

betrayed
June 3rd, 2005, 01:16 AM
well i think part of the advantage of the board having howto's on it instead of including the how to as part of the install is parties can claim that this is a public unmoderated forum and they are not resposible for the information posted and hide behind some of those shields. Including it in the install shows they are directly resposible for whatever and face some sort of lawsuit

Leif
June 3rd, 2005, 01:38 AM

Windows DOES NOT support DVD out of the box. Maybe the PC you bought did, but the application to run DVDs was installed separately.

I am not arguing the morality of copyright or torrents with you. I'm also not arguing the usefullness of having this stuff installed. I'm simply pointing out the fact that this will bring trouble. As for being a lawyer, I'm not one, but I'd guess that Canonical consulted with lawyers before choosing not to bundle this stuff, or provide a direct link to it, so I'm going to trust them on that one.

As has already been pointed before, other distros already do this, but that does not make it legal, they're either paying for it or hoping that they're small enough that nobody gets too upset.