PDA

View Full Version : A Cup of Ubuntu (Louisville, this time around)

Zuph
March 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I'll keep this pretty short and to the point:

How many of you all would be interested in meeting up at a coffee shop in Louisville in the very near future to discuss Ubuntu, Linux and general Nerdery over a cup of brew? There are a lot of coffee shops in Louisville that could support us, so I'm sure that won't be an issue. It will be a good opportunity to meet your fellow Ubuntu users.

I propose a meetup on Saturday the 31st at Heine Bros. Coffee on the corner of Eastern Parkway and Bardstown road at like 7pm. If anyone has any suggestions or questions, ask away. We can always shift times and dates around.

With any luck, this can become a regular occurrence, and spread to the rest of the state.

jkeyes0
March 21st, 2007, 12:56 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm totally up for it, and I propose that at least once we try to have one in Frankfort (more central location, imo, and there's a really nice coffeeshop here in Frankfort that should accomodate, with a bookstore).

+1 from me.

etank
March 21st, 2007, 02:19 AM
So it sounds like so far we are talking about rotating locations between Lexington, Louisville, and Frankfort. Seems like a good plan to me :D That may help us reach more people that would not otherwise come.

jkeyes0
March 21st, 2007, 02:44 AM
I can put up flyers for it in the tower I work in (and in the Coffeeshop here) if there's interest.

Condoulo
March 21st, 2007, 03:19 AM
Sounds like a good idea.

JarG0n
March 21st, 2007, 03:09 PM
This kinda takes "A carafe of Ubuntu" to a new level doesn't it? Heck, why not Lexington while we're at it?

Should we consider a vote to only support local mom and pop owned coffee shops, seeing that Starbucks is rapidly becoming an evil corporate empire like Microsoft?

Zuph
March 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM
Should we consider a vote to only support local mom and pop owned coffee shops, seeing that Starbucks is rapidly becoming an evil corporate empire like Microsoft?

This is a pretty big misconception. Even though Starbucks is HUGE, they don't practice any underhanded business practices. They buy lots of free trade coffee, they don't maliciously undercut local competitors, etc. They pretty much CREATED the coffee craze going on in America right now. They created the market, and now they're soaking it up. They also offer tremendous benefits to their employees; even part timers have options for insurance and tuition reimbursement.

That said, I tend to like local places for the atmosphere and better coffee.

JarG0n
March 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I haven't really looked into it myself, so I'm probably suffering from the misconception too. I just hear all the StarBucks haters out there calling for a boycott, and to support local shops.

Either way, I thought StarBucks was a either franchise, or coporately managed. Once so much growth occurs, people have a tendency to view a corporate giant as anti-competitive behemoths out to crush their competetion through whatever means necessary.

Joule
March 22nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
The number one reason to not patronize Starbucks:

THEY MAKE YOU PAY FOR WIFI.

Screw that.

Heine Bros at Btown and Eastern sounds good to me. I'll go.

And they have free wifi there.

JarG0n
March 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
I nominate etank to buy us all coffee!

bkingx
March 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
I all for this too! Great idea!

Zuph
March 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
The number one reason to not patronize Starbucks:

THEY MAKE YOU PAY FOR WIFI.

Screw that.

Heine Bros at Btown and Eastern sounds good to me. I'll go.

And they have free wifi there.

Another Good reason.

etank
March 22nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
I nominate etank to buy us all coffee!

Funny. I was going to bum some money from someone else :)

mngrif
March 22nd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Common Grounds in Lexington has my vote, but if Lexington is too far from the majority of people (since Louisville *is* larger by population), I'm cool with somewhere in Frankfort. Also if we have it there I can bring a friend :D

The only bad thing about Common Grounds is that they're fairly small, but unless we're bringing in a group of 20+ I don't think they'll have a problem with even a day's notice.

jkeyes0
March 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Common Grounds in Lexington has my vote, but if Lexington is too far from the majority of people (since Louisville *is* larger by population), I'm cool with somewhere in Frankfort. Also if we have it there I can bring a friend :D

The only bad thing about Common Grounds is that they're fairly small, but unless we're bringing in a group of 20+ I don't think they'll have a problem with even a day's notice.

I'm cool for Frankfort for a future one. And if we do have enough that the small coffeeshop downtown would be too small, there's always a starbucks and a panera bread on the west end of town (free wireless at panera, iirc).

xdarkxanarchyx
March 22nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
I second eTank buying us all coffee!

Maybe once it gets warmer we can have something outside of the East Eagle Creek library, they have free WiFi and I don't see why they would object having a group of nerds gathering outside, or maybe even inside if we're quiet, or in the meeting room they have. That's in Lexington by the way, I don't have my license just yet so if I go anywhere soon it's going to be a risk -one I don't really think I'd take.

Zuph
March 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
It has come to my attention that the InstallFest dry run is going to be in Lexington the night of our Louisville coffee meetup, so in the interest of attending that shindig, I propose we go for coffee in Lexington following the dry run, and move the Louisville coffee meetup to SUNDAY the FIRST, at 5PM or so.

Takers?

Condoulo
March 24th, 2007, 04:13 AM
That sounds good.

Zuph
April 1st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Just a reminder, Tomorrow at 5pm!

Zuph
April 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Heading out now. I'm the fat nerd with the curly hair and Ubuntu sticker on his laptop.

Heine at Eastern and Bardstown.

Zuph
April 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Not discouraged by the lack of people showing up last week:

I'll be at Heine Bros. again on April 14th, at 5pm till whenever. If no one shows up by 5:30 I'll probably head out. Let me know if this time isn't good. I'm flexible.

jkeyes0
April 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I've got to work this weekend, next weekend (the 14th), and our release party is the following weekend (21st)

Zuph
April 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
A reminder: I'll be a Heine Bros. at 5. If no one shows up, I'm gone at 5:30.

Zuph
April 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Once again, I am not discouraged by no one showing up! I will be back, but I don't know when right now! My car is now leaking transmission fluid! I have to get it fixed! Also there are other things going on that keep me from setting a date in stone right now! This post is awesome!

annihilus06
April 19th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I love the details, let me know when your doing it next, ill see if i can't make it! Maybe having a celebrity will help you out in getting others there, that is if i were a celebrity.. oh well, it was a thought.

Condoulo
April 19th, 2007, 01:15 AM
You know, that wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Derby is not that far away, and a lot of celebrities come in around Derby time.