PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy an Ubuntu flash drive?

QuinnHarris
March 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I am pondering offering a USB flash drive with an Ubuntu logo printed on it and of course preloaded with Ubuntu. I am unable to find this right now. The closest thing is http://www.dragontechnology.com/ubuntu_usb.php, but that doesn't appear have the Ubuntu logo on the stick itself. And I would be primarily targeting the US market if I did this.

Would anybody actually buy such a thing? Initially I expect it would be 50% more expensive than an equivalent non Ubuntu stick. So that logo and preload would be easily costing an extra $10. If the demand is high that price could be lower.

Of course, I wouldn't go forward without the sanction of Canonical, especially when I would be using the Ubuntu logo (it is trademarked). And maybe part of the profit could be sent back to Canonical.

I could also offer shirts, mouse pads and stuff and probably at a higher quality and lower price than cafe press. (Larger quantity screen print instead of the one off CYMK process)

But it will take some effort and risk to setup a web site, the necessary process to deliver the orders in a timely fashion, buy the flash drives with imprinting, then hope they sell.

Thoughts?

---
Quinn Harris

kevinf311
March 20th, 2007, 09:31 PM
The preloaded USB flash drive is a neat idea. I'm not sure too many people would go for it though. I have a 4GB drive that I was planning on installing an OS on, but I've gone and filled it up with files.

I would definitely buy a T-Shirt or a mug or something like that. I don't think that the USB Flash Drive idea will be very feasible until flash memory takes another dive in price. It's almost there now. Isn't the footprint of a fresh Ubuntu install more than 2GB? If it isn't, then you may be able to do it now. If you have to go with anything bigger than that, cost may become an issue.

I'm also curious as to how the x configuration would handle being independent of a static set of hardware. Obviously this issue has been conquered, otherwise we wouldn't hear about Flash Drive Operating System setups.

Keep us updated on your venture :)

Bigbluecat
March 20th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Depends what you want on your Flash drive.

I have an old 256MB drive that I installed DSL-N on. Only takes 90MB.

C-A
March 20th, 2007, 11:20 PM
great idea, i think it would sell

SishGupta
March 21st, 2007, 12:30 AM
I'd only be into it if the drive was 100% updateable...and easy to update.

Sammi
March 21st, 2007, 01:03 AM
Only if you ship to Europe ;)

maniacmusician
March 21st, 2007, 01:28 AM
Good idea, but I also don't think it would sell.

The costs of producing the drives would not be offset by consumers because there just isn't enough demand for them. I'd wait till they get a little more popular. It would also be wise to offer international shipping, as that'll provide a better market for Ubuntu users.

At the moment, a HOWTO for installing an OS on a USB disk is probably the better way to go. Doesn't make you money, but it helps people out.

%hMa@?b<C
March 21st, 2007, 02:08 AM
neat idea, but I already have three of 'em.

QuinnHarris
March 22nd, 2007, 03:39 AM
I think a 1GB stick would suffice as a reasonable minimum. The current Ubuntu CD is 700MB so 1GB would leave some room to grow. But that 700MB is compressed with squashfs which is read only. So 1GB read only, 2GB+ read/write or 1GB r/w and some magic like Reiser4 crypto/compress.

I estimate that a 1GB stick with an Ubuntu logo could be sold for $25 today. Thats actually a lot more expensive than a single stick through newegg or similar ($9), but I don't think I could get lower than that on small quantities without taking a loss.

If someone wants a cheep flash drive this wouldn't be the way to go, but if they either want to show Ubuntu support or possibly save the trouble of loading the software on it themselves, this would be an option. How much more is that worth?

Greyhair
March 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
http://www.dragontechnology.com/ubuntu_usb.php

RAV TUX
March 23rd, 2007, 07:04 PM
I honestly would not buy a Ubuntu flash drive but would love to buy a KNOPPIX Flash Drive ...1 or 2 Gigabytes

why?...becuase KNOPPIX has the best hardware detection I have found....

I know my wife would love to have a 2 gigabyte or even more, flash drive with GeexBox installed on it to store her music collection....