PDA

View Full Version : PC-Mac-Linux (spoof ad) Fantastic! (Novell and others)

floke
March 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Just come across this. Its absolutely fantastic!

http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/mac-vs-pc-how-would-linux-fit/

total wormage
March 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
fantastic.

fuscia
March 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM
this is as far as i made it - "...Apple is a company whose television advertisements are usually excellent." i hate that mac guy and i wish to treat him in a manner that violates the ubuntu code of ethics.

floke
March 20th, 2007, 01:46 PM
this is as far as i made it - "...Apple is a company whose television advertisements are usually excellent." i hate that mac guy and i wish to treat him in a manner that violates the ubuntu code of ethics.

Fuscia - hold your nose and do yourself a favour - read on dude.... (its the videos at the bottom you really want to see. Actually only the first one is out yet, but if only this was on TV!)

xyz
March 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Linux is pretty!

tribaal
March 20th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Awesome :)

- trib'

Somenoob
March 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM
They should hire RMS if they intend to continue with their adverts.

floke
March 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Yes. THAT would help sell it.

fuscia
March 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
i've always felt sorry for the pc guy.

karellen
March 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
watched the video on the bottom. nicely done :). I love linux. both of them :lolflag:

diskotek
March 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
linux guy is really pretty cool. i think i want that tron costume :popcorn:

in the add video, linux is also pretty :D we love linux

mykalreborn
March 20th, 2007, 03:10 PM
linux sure is cute, i'll give you that.
great spoof. plus the actors are good. all the other spoofs i've seen had pretty good ideas, but really louzy actors. too bad it says novell at the end. oh well. :D

Sammi
March 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM
Check out this new Mac ad spoof: http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/mac-vs-pc-how-would-linux-fit/

Direct links to clips:
http://cdn.novell.com/cached/video/bs_07/mac_pc_linux.OGG
http://cdn.novell.com/cached/video/bs_07/mac_pc_linux_2.OGG
http://cdn.novell.com/cached/video/bs_07/mac_pc_linux_3.OGG

Linux as a female is a very neat idea. Pretty good way of catching the Mac and PC guys off balance. Makes Linux look good in comparison to both.

Adamant1988
March 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM
It made me laugh, if only this kind of thing actually made it on T.V.

MonkeyBoy
March 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM
That second one is particularly good.

DoctorMO
March 21st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Novell have enough money to push it on TV, but a problem with copyright might be an issue. concepts and so forth. I suppose you could argue parody but that'll only get you so far.

spinflick
March 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM
The killer punch was " I'll probably wear this for the next 6 or 7 years " :lolflag:

%hMa@?b<C
March 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM
The killer punch was " I'll probably wear this for the next 6 or 7 years " :lolflag:

"pleather"
"nice!"

prizrak
March 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM
That was great.

Brunellus
March 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
My OS of choice is HAWT. And guess what, proprietary guys: she lets me see *everything*

Choad
March 21st, 2007, 10:41 PM
HAHAHAHA

"leopard!"

that made me lol so much

much prefered the second one to the first one. very cool

ixus_123
March 21st, 2007, 10:55 PM
That was nice. I like that they weren't OTT with Linux.

I especially like the 2nd advert where she keeps up with the latest trends & people share with her

Kobalt
March 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Cool adds :)

kahrytan
March 22nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
I liked the last line in first advert. "Boy, You sure grew up fast." A pun on Microsoft. Linux jumped up and bit them in the ***. hence their aggressiveness to Linux recently.

zanglang
March 22nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
"*subtle sigh* Long time.", and the oddly oversized leather jacket (note how it's tightly zipped up). Ingenious. :)

elephant007
March 22nd, 2007, 01:26 AM
now that was precious!!!

People just give you stuff.... ha ha ha

Sammi
March 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM
What the original mac ads do better than this one is to make the pc(windows) guy friendly, sympathetic, and cute in a teddy-bear kind of way. This makes the regular pc(windows) user identify with him. They feel sorry for him and ultimately sorry for themselves, and they feel that they themselves are experiencing too many needless troubles. Now that is ingenious, because if he was portrayed as a looser or a menacing character in stead, which is a very tempting thing to do, then no one would identify with him. Very sneaky of Apple.

amfantasy
March 22nd, 2007, 01:45 AM
that was great I wish they could put it on t.v.

Darko-TheRaven
March 22nd, 2007, 02:21 AM
NOICE!!!! that is great. btw you seen the ad's dissing vista, i testes vista beta 2 and i must say the ad's are 1000% true hahaha.:guitar:

Brunellus
March 22nd, 2007, 03:29 AM
That was nice. I like that they weren't OTT with Linux.

I especially like the 2nd advert where she keeps up with the latest trends & people share with her
I shudder to think of the video which shows how people share her, though.

dbbolton
March 22nd, 2007, 03:34 AM
i had to laugh at "i'll probably wear this for another, six or seven years!"

Sunflower1970
March 22nd, 2007, 03:39 AM
Great ads. Especially liked that Linux was female. A nice twist.

prizrak
March 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
I shudder to think of the video which shows how people share her, though.

LOL

Yossarian
March 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
I thought the ads were dull.

It's weird, though, that Linux being female stands out in many minds (myself included). Although objects seem to be personified as men more often, most automated speaking systems use female voices.

fuscia
March 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
i'll save shellytherepublican the trouble...

"linux is a **** who will do anything to please her users. if you want stability and reliability, go with vista: it will be good for at least six or seven years (and screw that fruitboot in the leopard print. what a creep!)"

maniacmusician
March 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
I thought the ads were dull.

It's weird, though, that Linux being female stands out in many minds (myself included). Although objects seem to be personified as men more often, most automated speaking systems use female voices.
It was intentional. They chose a woman for Linux to counteract the popular train of thought that women can't, or don't, use computer. They're trying to represent the female computing population better.

i'll save shellytherepublican the trouble...

"linux is a **** who will do anything to please her users. if you want stability and reliability, go with vista: it will be good for at least six or seven years (and screw that fruitboot in the leopard print. what a creep!)"

lol, you sound just like them. Good imitation. So is that site really for real? I thought for a while that it was a spoof making fun of republicans because most of their articles are so f*cking ridiculous..

Brunellus
March 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
It was intentional. They chose a woman for Linux to counteract the popular train of thought that women can't, or don't, use computer. They're trying to represent the female computing population better.

Considering the amount of time that I (and many of my male and nominally heterosexual) friends spend with our computers, it's no surprise that Linux arrives as a girl--and a pretty one at that.

lol, you sound just like them. Good imitation. So is that site really for real? I thought for a while that it was a spoof making fun of republicans because most of their articles are so f*cking ridiculous..

BEGIN OFFTOPIC:

shellytherepublican, by the way, is a satire site. The real thing is often more outrageous than satire, but not as funny. In the interest of equal time, I'm waiting for a similar site satirizing democrats.

Until that happens, I'll content myself with laughing at the Democrats' incompetence at the ward level and the Republicans' incompetence at the federal level. I am an equal-opportunity swing cynic.

END OFFTOPIC.

maniacmusician
March 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Brunellus.

and you do make an excellent point about Linux being a woman.

floke
March 23rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Heads up for ad no.2.

(there is another thread on this now, but thought that I should update this one anyway)

kratos1963
March 23rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Just come across this. Its absolutely fantastic!

does it even fit to begin with?](*,)

mykalreborn
March 23rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Heads up for ad no.2.

(there is another thread on this now, but thought that I should update this one anyway)

seen it. even better. :D

pirothezero
March 23rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
does it even fit to begin with?](*,)
I think that the content, stuff like the glasses and sharing a coat along with the "have you been there all this time?" and anything that shows that linux has been there just like the rest of them for so long area all excellent points that were shown in easy to follow manner.

As for casting the girl the reasons they list imo are meh. While they have an alright basis with their reason about flipping the tables on apple or whatever they say, there may be a better way but it is kinda hard if you want to blown them out of the water. Its like you need to give the impression that linux is omnipotent to the other two, is all powerful, mac and windows bow down to it as their god of program execution. Might be ahead of its time, who knows.

Heads up for ad no.2.

waiting on number 3 :).

floke
March 23rd, 2007, 09:01 AM
I can 'see' Linux as a disembodied voice - but the choice of a woman was a stroke of complete genius - you need to show Linux as human which this does perfectly (+ she's smarter and better looking than the others :) ).

steven8
March 23rd, 2007, 09:11 AM
I can 'see' Linux as a disembodied voice - but the choice of a woman was a stroke of complete genius - you need to show Linux as human which this does perfectly (+ she's smarter and better looking than the others :) ).

I wonder if her real name is. . .hang on. . .Beryl? I couldn't resist.\\:D/

floke
March 23rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
Beryl is definitely NOT a sexy name!

PS: What happened to Mr Potter - were you forced to change your avatar by the appallingly bad acting and stodgy plot police?

steven8
March 23rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Beryl is definitely NOT a sexy name!

PS: What happened to Mr Potter - were you forced to change your avatar by the appallingly bad acting and stodgy plot police?

No, I figured I'd better change my avatar before someone took offense to the fact that the actor in my avatar had performed nude onstage. Better safe than sorry, I always say! :)

-Phi-
March 24th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Third one is up. I like :D

- Phi

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Third one is up. I like :D

- Phi
Oooooooo, that's a good one. I love it.

They're all good, but the last one is the deal-breaker.

steven8
March 24th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Yes it is. I really like that one.

Sammi
March 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Added link to original post :)

elephant007
March 24th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I third that!
Very cleaver on the last one, very cleaver...

I think soon though MAC OS will be able to run on PC and Windows will be able to run on Mac. Why else would Mac have gotten rid of Motorola and went to Intel? Why would they get rid of their SCSI setup? I read an article years ago (before win95b) that this guy wrote who basically said that in 10 to 15 years (from the time the article was written), PC's would be able to run Apple's OS and vise-versa. I think Apple getting rid of Motorola started this process to become true...
Obviously the article writer, like myself, knew nothing about Linux back then...

Quillz
March 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Those were pretty good. Certainly the best attempts I've seen yet.

DoctorMO
March 24th, 2007, 10:26 AM
See if I could just get that actress to sing some of my rocking lyricals (see attached) we'd have all the users from the entire galaxy in our hands.

Schalken
March 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Hehe. It's cute, I'll give them that, but it still gives the viewer the idea that Linux is some neglected disadvantaged puppy seeking attention from the competiton between Mac and Windows, despite their best efforts. You also can tell they didn't hire no million-dollar actors to do it either.

The idea of having Linux as a girl actually throws out the comparison, IMO. Apple's ads were comparing two different guys. You can't throw a girl in and expect the viewer to compare them the same way.

A better idea would have been to come up with some sort of male figure who is seen as superiour to both...like...they're talking and all of a sudden Jesus descends down upon them and says "While you two are arguing over your material dealings of profit, Linux is in search of something more: freedom!" and floats off, I don't know. :P (Hey they could work, ignoring the risks of a religious metaphor)

Plus, Linux of all operating systems is the manliest of them all, with it's brute power and efficiency. Mac OS is the feminine one, with all its good looks.

But then again, it's only a spoof, with the Novell guys admitting the difficuilty of making Linox look good. If Novell were to really make such an ad campaign they would have executed it differently.

So thats my two cents.

3rdalbum
March 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I've always thought of Ubuntu Dapper as being the perfect girlfriend - reliable and always there when needed, talks the same technical language as me, can change her appearance depending on my mood, she rarely throws tantrums and never in a big-time way. She doesn't show off or boss me around, but she does let me know when I'm wrong (never getting in my way if I decide to make the wrong decision).

I'm sure there are loads of fun comparisons we could make!

I really, really, really hope that Novell releases a wallpaper of the Linux girl. Even if it had the SUSE logo on it, I'd still put it as my desktop background :-)

mustang
March 24th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Kind of funny but not as good as the originals. Still nice to see some sort of linux marketing.

Paulus
March 24th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I really REALLY hate the way she pronounced "Linux"... it sounds so geeky damm.

Didn't linus tell us a different (and less nerdy) way of pronouncing linux.

imo those adverts are becoming too geeky and the analogies will be lost of the AFCs (average chumps) out there.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I really REALLY hate the way she pronounced "Linux"... it sounds so geeky damm.

Didn't linus tell us a different (and less nerdy) way of pronouncing linux.

imo those adverts are becoming too geeky and the analogies will be lost of the AFCs (average chumps) out there.
Um, the way she pronounces it is the right way to pronounce it.

Paulus
March 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
sorry to go on about it but:

"lynuks' The other major alternative is based on the pronunciation of the English version of 'Linus'."

and i'm english- hence why (i suppose) my pronunciation is different.

Your right, Linus prefers the 'linnuks' pronounciation, but infact 'leenooks' would be the most accurate due to his Swedish heritage.

Does anyone else have a view?

I'll reiterate that I think the novell pronunciation is damaging to linuxs disposition in reaching further audiences (though I applaud the marketing initiative). I'd shudder to see that aired in England as I think it would work backwards.

maniacmusician
March 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I don't think it's damaging. There's just a difference in pronunciation between the U.S. and the U.K. The Mac/PC ads, and these ads by Novell are all American ads, thus it's normal that they would contain American pronunciations.

Paulus
March 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
ahh yes. Cultural differences can be almost as big as opinions sometimes!

zanglang
March 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Well, we're all from different cultures, it's natural different people pronounce things differently due to factors such as background education and mother tongue... holy war topics like this probably should have their own thread. :)

Somewhat offtopic, but has anyone seen a downloadable version of the IBM linux ad a few years back featuring a blonde child? (Non-Youtube, please?)

Mr. Picklesworth
March 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Holy war? No need! Here is Jesus' way:
http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/
(Keep in mind the accent)

What drives me crazy is the folks that say "leeenoxe". It's so off the ball I want to strangle them :P
Okay, I won't strangle them, but it does drive me crazy.
I can see they are trying to add in the foreign touch to it as so many people do with words that are foreign to them, but when they have no idea how it is really pronounced this is just dumb. They are implying an inability to pronounce a simple word in their native tongue merely because it contains the confusing mixture of a U before X and the sound "lin". There are no oxes in Linux. Oxe may be one of few English words with a solid letter X, but that does not make it the sound you make when you see "nux", which as should be obvious looks very different from "oxe".
If you want to sound completely right, put on a Swedish accent. ("i" is a bit like "ee", for one thing; just generally stronger vowel sounds). Otherwise, just say it how it is written; is it really this hard to believe that "Linux" is spelled correctly?

We have an English version of every country and language on the planet and we pronounce them in an English way completely ignorant to how they are actually said and pronounced. In my opinion, it is quite rude and quite stupid. Why do we say Spain instead of Espaņa? The word Spain to a Spanish person who speaks no English is surprisingly ineffective. In the same way, if you need to identify what language you speak to someone who is not very good at languages saying "English" is only useful if the person speaks English or speaks a language that does not have its own translation for everything. Besides that, there are numerous words in English that are nearly straight from their Latin ancestors, yet we pronounce them as though they are modern English words.
Err... I don't think I had a point for that paragraph there unless I mean to contradict myself in saying that people contradict themselves, so I'll leave it as that: Something odd to ponder. Why do people try so hard to pronounce Linux (a name spoken in English by its creator) in what they think is its original tongue when they do not give that same honour to bigger things like the numerous countries and languages that deserve their respect?

As for the spoofs: Nicely done!
I like the second one. The third one is cool, and I guess the PC and Mac both using laptops (when they themselves represent computers) sort of makes sense when they are running another OS... but then they should have made something else more clear: The PC is not Windows, the PC is running Windows. The Mac is not Mac OS X, the Mac is running Mac OS X. (This is a big flaw in all of the ads, actually; Apple is encouraging the user's ignorance to the fact that their computer - the hardware - is not the operating system. That sort of construction is comparable to $20 handheld video poker games with LED-lit screens... and I don't think Apple wants their computers thought of in that light). The third one makes a useful message, but I found the discussion of what the Mac and the PC were doing with Linux to be a tad less coherent than it should have been. Maybe it was just me, though?

xavier_r
March 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM
The Girl could have been hotter...
You know maybe if they had hired a supermodel...

Paulus
March 24th, 2007, 05:15 PM

..lol what with big jugs too

would probably work too :s

Paulus
March 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Here she is!

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1162/girloh9.th.jpg (http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=girloh9.jpg)

from http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/%5C%22Beryl%5C%22+from+Novell+ads?content=55154

I guess they wanted to "keep it real"

bastiegast
March 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Your right, Linus prefers the 'linnuks' pronounciation, but infact 'leenooks' would be the most accurate due to his Swedish heritage.

Finnish! And that's a big difference actually from a language point of view.

Quillz
March 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
And made the commercials even more unrealistic? One of the things about the actual Apple ads is they have, for the most part, normal people playing the roles, which implies that you don't have to be extraordinary to use Mac OS.

floke
March 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Third ad now out
(sure most of you know already)

:)

aysiu
March 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Since these two threads are referring to the same blog posting, I've merged them.

floke
March 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Good idea.

Funny arguing about cultural differences over the pronouncing of Linux when we're all using an OS whose name we couldn't pronounce properly unless we laid it on with an African accent that would make the majority of us look completely stupid!

(btw: I used to call it 'Line - ux' :confused: )

macogw
March 24th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I third that!
Very cleaver on the last one, very cleaver...

I think soon though MAC OS will be able to run on PC and Windows will be able to run on Mac. Why else would Mac have gotten rid of Motorola and went to Intel? Why would they get rid of their SCSI setup? I read an article years ago (before win95b) that this guy wrote who basically said that in 10 to 15 years (from the time the article was written), PC's would be able to run Apple's OS and vise-versa. I think Apple getting rid of Motorola started this process to become true...
Obviously the article writer, like myself, knew nothing about Linux back then...

Wow, you're behind. My exboyfriend ran OSX on his homebuilt computer about a year ago (perhaps more, he said it was when they were testing making it run on Intel chips) and there are plenty of people running Windows on a Mac thanks to bootcamp (dual booting).

elephant007
March 24th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Wow, you're behind. My exboyfriend ran OSX on his homebuilt computer about a year ago (perhaps more, he said it was when they were testing making it run on Intel chips) and there are plenty of people running Windows on a Mac thanks to bootcamp (dual booting).

how dare you! What I was referring to is OSX actually being marketed for PC and Microsoft actually being marketed for Apple computers. Behind? I read the article in 1994 or 1995 or so. Again, let's separate this, I'm not talking about tweaking the OS to make them run, I'm talking about the OS being built to run on either computers.
TAKE THAT BACK! HA HA

DoctorMO
March 25th, 2007, 03:10 AM
well thanks to the merge I think my lyricals got lost, oh well. *sigh*

aysiu
March 25th, 2007, 03:19 AM
well thanks to the merge I think my lyricals got lost, oh well. *sigh*
No. Your lyricals are right here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2345456#post2345456).

macogw
March 25th, 2007, 04:01 AM
how dare you! What I was referring to is OSX actually being marketed for PC and Microsoft actually being marketed for Apple computers. Behind? I read the article in 1994 or 1995 or so. Again, let's separate this, I'm not talking about tweaking the OS to make them run, I'm talking about the OS being built to run on either computers.
TAKE THAT BACK! HA HA

The Apple Store sells Apple computers with OSX & Windows both installed.

elephant007
March 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
The Apple Store sells Apple computers with OSX & Windows both installed.

Really? Well shot... ha ha,
So Apple bashes Windows and sells their products? Now that's interesting...
They're competitors and Apples sells their product... hmmm I'm going to check this out.

The only thing I found was Parallels Desktop for Mac which seems like a virtual pc or vmware for mac that you can run windows xp on...
show me a link that shows Apple selling a Mac with WindowsXP pre-installed.

aysiu
March 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Really? Well shot... ha ha,
So Apple bashes Windows and sells their products? Now that's interesting...
They're competitors and Apples sells their product... hmmm I'm going to check this out.

The only thing I found was Parallels Desktop for Mac which seems like a virtual pc or vmware for mac that you can run windows xp on...
show me a link that shows Apple selling a Mac with WindowsXP pre-installed.
From the Get a Mac - Run Windows page on the Apple website (http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html):
As Computerworld’s Scot Finnie points out, now you can forget about having “to choose either the Mac for its superior design or Windows for its wealth of available software.” From the Boot Camp page on the Apple website (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/):
More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp, you can download a public beta today. While Apple does make software (Mac OS X, iLife, iWork), it is and always has been primarily a hardware company. That's why they talk about people "buying and loving Macs"--not just OS X, the actual computer.

Notice how even in their "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads, the phrasing is "I'm a Mac" and "I'm a PC," and not "I'm OS X" and "I'm Windows." Sure, they talk about Vista and all that, but the focus is on hardware--the computer.

Do they want you using OS X? Sure. But the hardware sale is more important to them than the software. Ultimately, Apple is happy (from a profit standpoint) if you buy an Apple computer. Whatever you install on it afterwards doesn't give them much more profit. If they have a choice between someone buying a Mac and installing Windows to use a Windows-only application or someone not buying a Mac because she feels she "needs" Windows for a Windows-only application, the Apple execs would much prefer the former to the latter.

Apple is more of a competitor to Dell than to Microsoft.

Think about it. If someone buys a Mac, Apple profits from the sale of the computer (+1 for Apple). She then installs Windows on it using Boot Camp and Microsoft profits from the sale of the Windows operating systrem (+1 for Microsoft). She is then not buying a Dell (-1 for Dell).

martinw89
March 26th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Wow, what a cool spoof. It makes me feel like much less of an outcast in mainstream computer users. And like most, I especially like the second one. It's very true.

elephant007
March 26th, 2007, 03:48 AM
[QUOTE=aysiu;2352250]From the Get a Mac - Run Windows page on the Apple website (http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html)

As I said in my post, I would like to see Microsoft OS pre-installed. The page you sent me to is the one I found about Parallels Desktop for Mac. You have to buy that software and Windows O/S software.

Since Apple does both their "own" software and hardware, I think they would compete against Dell and Microsoft...

Everyone says Mac because well, let's face it, everyone "knows" that a Mac has OSX (or whatever flavor Apple is producing at the time). It would be like saying I got a Big Mac from McDonalds, you really don't have to say where you got the Big Mac from because everyone knows where Big Macs come from... (poor analogy?)

Yeah, so I clicked on the second link AFTER I posted the above message... and there it is, explaining installing Windows OS on Apple's computer. I love to get learnt!!!!

elephant007
March 26th, 2007, 03:49 AM
From the Get a Mac - Run Windows page on the Apple website (http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html)

As I said in my post, I would like to see Microsoft OS pre-installed on the computer not running in a window within Apple's OS. The page you sent me to is the one I found about Parallels Desktop for Mac. You have to buy that software and Windows O/S software.

Since Apple does both their "own" software and hardware, I think they would compete against Dell and Microsoft...

Everyone says Mac because well, let's face it, everyone "knows" that a Mac has OSX (or whatever flavor Apple is producing at the time). It would be like saying I got a Big Mac from McDonalds, you really don't have to say where you got the Big Mac from because everyone knows where Big Macs come from... (no puns interned)

aysiu
March 26th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Since Apple does both their "own" software and hardware, I think they would compete against Dell and Microsoft... Yes, they are indirect competitors of Microsoft, but Apple's primary business is hardware. The software is only there to get you to buy the hardware (which is why they make iTunes for Windows--to get Windows users to buy their hardware, namely iPods).
As I said in my post, I would like to see Microsoft OS pre-installed on the computer not running in a window within Apple's OS. The page you sent me to is the one I found about Parallels Desktop for Mac. You have to buy that software and Windows O/S software. I sent you to two pages, actually. The other one was about Boot Camp, which is about installing Windows on an Apple computer. It's different from Parallels.

elephant007
March 27th, 2007, 12:36 AM
If I had a Mac I would put Linux on it :)
thanks for dropping the knowledge on me.

DivineOmega
March 27th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Not sure how many of you will have seen these videos already, but personally I think they are awesome. I'm compiled all 3 of the advertisements on my website.

http://divineomega.co.uk/novell/get-linux/

aysiu
March 27th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Merged with the other, similar thread.

arron
March 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I have found a cool Mac - PC - Linux commercial. Check it out and spread it around.

http://www.novell.com/video/

Scroll down to PC Mac Linux video. Linux is hot :-)

spockrock
March 27th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I like the last one where mac and pc are running linux on their laptops.

floke
March 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Already a couple of merged threads on this.

See here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=389011

aysiu
March 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Already a couple of merged threads on this.

See here:

Merged yet again.

floke
March 27th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Keeping you busy there Aysiu ;)

unbuntu
March 27th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I guess since the getAMac commercial, PC is exclusively synonymous to "Microsoft Windows"...sigh...

Snowmayne
March 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM
To quote Larry the cable-guy: 'Na I don't care who ya are - that s**t's funny'

aysiu
March 27th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Keeping you busy there Aysiu ;)
Not nearly as busy as the Dell Idea Storm one...

reidms
March 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Fantastic!!!

I hope they make it to television!!!

Sunnz
March 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
According to Novell...

http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/2007/03/novell_launches.html

I guess they are doing the VSIO laptop girl thing...

On the other hand, what if we were to run Linux without a Desktop Environment? :lolflag:

PapaWiskas
March 28th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Of course Linux is a woman, that is why there is a command line.

rocknrolf77
March 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
And sudo :)

floke
March 28th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Deary me Wired - it's three commercials, not two.

See here for the merged threads:

And here for ALL the ads...

Sunnz
March 28th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I guess since the getAMac commercial, PC is exclusively synonymous to "Microsoft Windows"...sigh...
Well Windows can only run on PCs while Linux can run on PC, Mac, Server, embeded system, whatever.

I mean, it is nice that Linux isn't tied to PCs...

floke
March 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM
You can even install it on a dead badger...

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml

EdThaSlayer
March 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM
On the outside it is beautiful but on the inside its complex. So are ladies and all their emotions :D.But then again, Linux has some beauty(GUI) and all the complex stuff inside(GNU+Linux).

DoctorMO
March 28th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure that just because men suppress their emotions into a kind of ignorant grunt that it really counts as being emotionally simple. perhaps this mistaken belief is what leads most suicides to involve men.

The whole women idea is an attempt to catch the other two off guard, both a pc and a mac can work 'with' linux and it's not really a direct competitor in the male corporate/industrial sense; it only fights you if you want a fight. It plays very well on the minds of the viewers especially on lay man that aren't bias towards one operating system; they will see linux as approachable even from this simple characterisation.

Mr. Picklesworth
March 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Note to self: Never, ever, EVER read globally postable comments.
Anyway, cool spoofs. I can't believe there's so much debate about it! It works and it is not a bloody TV advertisement.
(Thread merge in 3...)

bapoumba
March 28th, 2007, 03:39 PM
(Thread merge in 3...)
0 ... Ignition :p

RAV TUX
March 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
ehhh...wheres the poll?

floke
March 28th, 2007, 04:11 PM
It self destructed along with Mr Picklesworth.:shock:

Brunellus
March 28th, 2007, 04:27 PM
On the outside it is beautiful but on the inside its complex. So are ladies and all their emotions :D.But then again, Linux has some beauty(GUI) and all the complex stuff inside(GNU+Linux).
Lady Macbeth might take issue with your characterization of ladies as emotional and sentimental.

I stand by my earlier comment: Linux is a woman because (mostly male hetero) nerds spend an inordinate of time obsessing over her.

bapoumba
March 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM
ehhh...wheres the poll?
Sorry, my mistake, I did not pay attention when I merged the threads. I guess you have to do it over again ...
Please accept my apologies.
bapoumba.

macogw
March 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I stand by my earlier comment: Linux is a woman because (mostly male hetero) nerds spend an inordinate of time obsessing over her.

You win