PDA

View Full Version : Beagle (GNOME) vs. Spotlight (OS X)

GTKpower
June 2nd, 2005, 06:50 PM
This isn't your typical "which is better" thread.

One of these applications (or functionality extensions, if you will) is still under heavy development, while the other has been released, but is far from perfect.

I've recently seen a demonstration of Spotlight, for OS X. I was impressed with the idea of *some* metadata implementation, although without boolean capability, Spotlight kind of falls on its face. What I thought was absolutely brilliant, however, is the fact that it continually updated its results list in real-time as I typed my search term. Very slick. Without this feature, Spotlight would be little more than a refined hard drive search engine. Big deal. At the end of it all, you'd still have to hit "search." Not so with Spotlight.

So, does Beagle now - or will it in the future - implement a similar "real-time" typing-aware feature?

I hope it will. It'll make things alot faster.

Ironi
June 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM
So, does Beagle now - or will it in the future - implement a similar "real-time" typing-aware feature?

The Beagle presentation at Penguicon demoed such a feature. I surmise that it was using the inotify kernel patch (http://www.edoceo.com/creo/inotify/).

Edit: It updated the search results in real-time, but I'm not sure that the results changed immediately during typing.

jnoreiko
June 3rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
What I'd like to see in search results is context.
For example, the line that contains the search term in a text document.
Are they working on this for Beagle?

Knome_fan
June 3rd, 2005, 11:53 AM
What I'd like to see in search results is context.
For example, the line that contains the search term in a text document.
Are they working on this for Beagle?

This already works in beagle.

GTKpower
June 3rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Only real problem with Beagle right now is that it's not easy to install. Not surprising, since it's still in the development stages.

Installation of Beagle should, when released, be as easy as installing any other program from Synaptic. No console commands needed.

I hope Beagle will include boolean capability - what Spotlight, for example, lacks right now.

Knome_fan
June 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Beagle from backports (I think the newest release is in staging) works well for me and is easy to install, just in case you want to play around with it a bit.

jnoreiko
June 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Installation of Beagle should, when released, be as easy as installing any other program from Synaptic. No console commands needed

I hope that when it's ready it's as easy as ... doing nothing at all, because it's part of the standard GNOME installation :grin:

poofyhairguy
June 3rd, 2005, 07:21 PM
I hope that when it's ready it's as easy as ... doing nothing at all, because it's part of the standard GNOME installation :grin:

Or at least the standard Ubuntu install.

GTKpower
June 4th, 2005, 06:01 PM

I agree completely.

If GNOME is to move ahead in terms of the "OS wars", Beagle needs to be standard.

ubuntu_demon
June 4th, 2005, 06:49 PM
I agree completely.

If GNOME is to move ahead in terms of the "OS wars", Beagle needs to be standard.
most likely breezy will contain beagle :)

here's how you install it in Ubuntu :

http://beaglewiki.org/Ubuntu_Installation

KOSKERS
August 25th, 2010, 02:03 AM
How can Beagle like Spotlight's UI
like this!
Not a normal window