PDA

View Full Version : Making presentation - need feedback

o0splitpaw0o
March 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'm working on making a presentation on how to profile a new user to Ubuntu, and eventually post this on the New user team wiki. I trying to develop something to help people profile a new user, and what works best based on the personality. Reason I doing this, is because some people in the beginners team which I'm part of have a bit of points of view how to help a new user. I think it depends on who your working with personally based on who posts what.

I be adding more to this, but want some of the team members go through this and see if maybe the "uber geek" profile is a good or bad thing. I don't want to start a flame war. :lolflag:

Related attachment @ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OhioTeam/NewUserTeam?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=profilinguser-ubuntu-ohio.odp

jpeddicord
March 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I like it so far. :)

The "Uber Geek" profile seems fine for those who understand it, however when you present it to a beginner you might want to skip those two slides, or maybe just the second one because your average Joe will not have a clue what it means.

Good work!

lyceum
March 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM
All of the people I have converted are far from ubuer geeks, or geeks of any kind. The people I have converted fit into the following fields:

1. Art/music geek, likes computers, but is still leaning about them. Great at Windows, learning Linux, but knowledgable (me and one of my friends)

2. People that are sick of XP/other Windows, cannot afford Vista or do not want to use Windows if they do not have to. These people do not really know a lot about computers, but know how to use an office program, burn CDs/DVDs listen to music/watch movies, surf the net (typical user).

3. People who have never owned a PC before, they use one at work but really know nothing. A computer is an item too expensive to buy at a store, but they know a guy who sells them cheep (I am that guy).

PWill
March 20th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I love the Uber Geek slide, especially the pic of Linus with his LUG, but I agree with Jacob that you might want to leave it out when showing it to average joes.

o0splitpaw0o
March 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM
The entire piece is posted on the new user team wiki. I added the "other half"
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OhioTeam/NewUserTeam

See it's to help not new users. Nah.. it's to help people who join the NU team. Reason I made this is here.. let me show you.
read this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385312&highlight=New+to+ubuntu) and look up any thread with "New to Ubuntu Need Help" and half the time their are responses like "Oh just type in sudo ......" with out explanation of how to do it. The beginners Team meant to clear that up. So to avoid that, I made this presentation to let the guys that maybe have been using Linux for so long, they kind of forget who they are dealing with, or maybe never worked in a support environment, so though their intentions are good, they just don't know how to approach someone without removing a newbie from their comfort zone.

lyceum
March 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM
Okay, cool. I got it. Very good idea. By the way, I checked out the "extreamly awesome illistration" are you guys starting a call center? That looks very good and well organized. :)

PWill
March 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM
There are a few typos/gramma mistakes that I will fix, just to make it more "professional."

Seekker
March 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Hey Brady,

*Great* presentation and a good reminder to everyone that not everybody knows what a command terminal even is. I, too, was going to offer help with the editing, but looks like PWill beat me to it ;)

I see this as the single most important challenge I face as a business person attempting to offer my customers a non windows alternative. Most [if not all] of my customers are on par with the 'average joe', or even less skill set wise.

Thanks for the reminder and the hard work!

Greatly appreciated.

jpeddicord
March 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Okay, cool. I got it. Very good idea. By the way, I checked out the "extreamly awesome illistration" are you guys starting a call center? That looks very good and well organized. :)

Something to that effect. It is the F2F (face-to-face) support module that will be implemented in the current website. I am actually coding it as we speak :-)

o0splitpaw0o
March 22nd, 2007, 02:32 AM
There are a few typos/gramma mistakes that I will fix, just to make it more "professional."

Thanks Pwill!