PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat Linux Desktop ;)

karellen
March 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I've stumbled upon this an hour ago. what do you think? I personally would like to see a desktop version of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux, with all it's stability and hardware certification, but not with all that pack-pricing that makes it expensive for the average home user. Would you pay for it, even there are clones like CentOS and others?
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2105246,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2105332,00.asp

Dragonbite
March 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM
If there is value it in, maybe.

Somewhat they have already moved towards that a little. RHEL 5 offers a single-desktop installation for $80 + per year support cost (which includes, if it follows all of the other support packages, upgrades and updates). (details here (http://www.redhat.com/rhel/desktop/compare/))

I read somewhere (not sure where though) that they are not refering to a boxed version you go into BestBuy or whatever and purchase.

The biggest difference between RHEL and CentOS is the support. If I were running an office or something I cannot allow it to go down, I'd probably go with RHEL.

Personally, well I'm waiting for CentOS 5 (non-beta) to come out.

mykalreborn
March 20th, 2007, 02:53 PM
saw this on a blog earlier.
i guess they saw that there is money to be made in the desktop market after all. i wouldn't use it because i don't pay for my software, but i think it's a good think it will come on the market. windows users have only heard of red hat as a linux system, and trying the desktop version might make them see just how l33t the open-source comunity is.

karellen
March 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't buy it either (probably)...but maybe it's not bad idea to diversify their offer. ..now there's novell out there :)

DigitalDuality
March 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM
d

karellen
March 20th, 2007, 03:05 PM
with the rise of ubuntu, and novell doing what they're doing with Suse on the desktop (f'n quality desktop distro if you ask me).. and the situation Redhat faces from MS-Novell on the left and Oracle on the right, this is the best move they could've made.

Now if they can make it slick as novell's

I happened to like sled 10 :D, used it for a couple of weeks but what kept me away from it (as from opensuse) was the slow yast/zen update&installer....If only they could fix this in the next release (maybe in SP1 as I saw on tuxmachines.org)

DigitalDuality
March 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM
d

karellen
March 20th, 2007, 03:12 PM
in opensuse there's smart too ;)

Dragonbite
March 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I think RedHat has also been hit with the confusion on what exactly *IS* Fedora.

Some people wanted it to be a free version of RedHat (like RedHat 9 was), except up-to-date. Others, I think, saw it as a bleeding-edge testbed for things that may or may not go into RHEL but not intended for a stable system (whether or not it was stable).

I wonder if this is to entice an OEM to build/sell RHEL Desktop computer systems (probably to businesses first)? So from this one place you can get you RHEL server as well as RHEL desktops for the whole office!?!

I do, though, prefer Yum (Fedora and CentOS) over Up2Date for package management.

The only things that would lead me to SuSE are Mono and eye-candy. I'm doing .NET development at work and being able to transfer that (knowledge) to my linux box would be handy.

karellen
March 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Fedora seemed a good idea for me, I actually used FC for almost 5 months and, except de fact that yum was slower than apt-get, I liked it. It was stable and reasonably fast. red hat earned a lot for their enterprise os from the test bed/bleeding edge version that is fedora core :)

Adamant1988
March 20th, 2007, 04:39 PM
If there was something in it that made it relevant to me, I would buy it/subscribe. The support would be nice overall, but there are some things I *need* to get my computer going or to live comfortably. Mono being one of those things now....

Dragonbite
March 21st, 2007, 03:42 AM
...but there are some things I *need* to get my computer going or to live comfortably. Mono being one of those things now....Did you know about the more up-to-date Mono repositories? I found badgerports Ubuntu Repository (http://directhex.mfgames.com/) looking at the Banshee project website. Their purpose is
The primary purpose of badgerports is to provide recent versions of the Mono framework, and associated packages and from the list it looks like they have Mono 1.2.3 :guitar: Just thought you might be interested, if you don't already know about it.

darkhatter
March 21st, 2007, 04:04 AM
are they going to have all the features and tools that sled has? are they going to work on a stronger KDE?

I'll just wait for the pre-release before I say anything.