PDA

View Full Version : I want to start an OPEN SOURCE project

xavier_r
March 20th, 2007, 06:35 AM
What do i do to get other programmers interested...
How do i keep up track with everyone on the internet...
How do i keep everything arranged...

Any suggestions for getting started... ?

phrizek
March 20th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I would suggest that you find an already established project and observe it from afar for a while until you develop an understanding of how the open source process works. You can learn a lot just by browsing through a project's forums, looking through mailing list archives, checking out bug tracking websites, and listening in to developer's chat rooms on IRC.

If you are really serious about learning about how open source development works, the ideas that I mentioned can help you get started on the right path. You should also look into contributing to an existing project instead of starting a new one so that effort wont be wasted duplicating things that already exist.

xavier_r
March 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Can you then suggest me some projects related to the development of a new programming language ?

Actually I am planning to start a development on a pseudo-code programming language...
I have already developed some part by myself...
Given it in our university project...

Want to build further upon it...

Tomosaur
March 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM
If you have actual experience yourself, then check over at the programming forum - plenty of people there like getting involved. However, there's nothing worse than a project leader with no experience. If you just want everyone else to do the work, then forget it.

Sites like sourceforge will give your project exposure and allow you to organise it more efficiently. There are quite a few, so it's worth checking around. If there's a project similar to yours - then just try and help develop that rather than reinventing the wheel.

Somenoob
March 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM
First of all you start by making an announcement. If the project promises usefulness, then developers might participate.

saulgoode
March 20th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I recently encountered a well-written book (http://producingoss.com/) (freely available online) on this subject. The author is one of the main developers of the Subversion project (a Free Software versioning control system similar to Ubuntu's Bazaar). I have not perused the book in detail but based on my random sampling of topics and the author's reputation, I feel confident in recommending it.

I would add my own suggestion and that is have a preliminary version of your program available to demonstrate your project to potential developers. The code can be ugly, inefficient, filled with do-nothing "stub" functions, lacking 95% of the features you invision, and even written in Perl :); but it should demonstrate the purpose of your program and, if applicable, how it deviates from existing offerings. (You should also explain up-front why current offerings fall short & why you are not working with an existing project to correct the problem.)

If you are not able to program, I would suggest that you enlist the aid of someone who is to produce this preliminary proof-of-concept code before publicly seeking support. Unless you have ten million dollars handy ;) to form a startup company, it is unlikely you will garner much support from others without taking the first steps yourself.

xavier_r
March 21st, 2007, 04:41 AM
I would add my own suggestion and that is have a preliminary version of your program available to demonstrate your project to potential developers.

Where do those potential developers usually hang around ?
Already 4000 lines of code has been written... :guitar:
I'll be happy to get a review...

And thanks for the book link... perhaps that is what i need :)

Tomosaur
March 21st, 2007, 12:43 PM
Where do those potential developers usually hang around ?
Already 4000 lines of code has been written... :guitar:
I'll be happy to get a review...

And thanks for the book link... perhaps that is what i need :)

That depends entirely on what kind of project you're creating. It wouldn't hurt to check over at the programming forum here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39 and see if anybody is interested. If not, I'm sure if you ask nicely someone will point you somewhere else.