PDA

View Full Version : MediaPortal media center application??

billdotson
March 20th, 2007, 03:14 AM
I was looking at the MediaPortal media center application and it says it includes support for TV tuners from: Hauppauge, AVermedia, etc.

It looks pretty cool and better than MythTV IMO but I was wondering my support does it mean that it has built in drivers for them or would I still have to have an ivtv driver for my card to use it.
I bought a WinTV-PVR-150 but I received an HVR-1600 in the box.. and even when I tried to get it replaced I got an HVR-1600 again. I gave up on TV tuners because I heard that they ivtv guys were not going to really bother w/ a HVR-1600 driver but if mediaportal has one included then I might consider it later.

teet
March 20th, 2007, 04:33 AM
MediaPortal better than MythTV?

I've tried to use mediaportal a few times but it was always slow and crashed a lot (on two different machines, with two different tuner cards). MythTV was much faster and is a snap to setup if you have the right hardware (e.g. with a Hauppauge PVR-150 all you have to do is copy and paste a few commands from the community wiki to get it running like a champ).

I would highly suggest sending the card back. I've really been pleased with my Hauppauge PVR-150...plus it was less than $60 (with shipping!).

-teet

billdotson
March 20th, 2007, 04:38 AM
I already sent it back once and the replacement was also an HVR-1600. I do not want to keep going through paying shipping fees back and forth if they cannot get the right card in the right box.