PDA

View Full Version : future of videogames??

billdotson
March 20th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I was reading a game magazine the other day that presented the question of "Why do videogame stories suck?"
The magazine was probably 6 months old because they were talking about Splinter Cell: Double Agent coming out soon.

One of the questions asked was "Do game studios hire plot writers?" and his answer was that only a few did. Companies like BioWare and a few others. They said that the problem with those that hired writers was that they didn't work with the core development team so it was hard to tie a plot together w/o being part of the dev team.

Do you think game stories and gameplay will get better in the future or just stay the same w/ only a few exceptional titles?

Henry Rayker
March 20th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I may be showing my age here, but I think that, due to the astounding graphics and so much emphasis being placed on them, the story will suffer...rather than it being, "we really need to have an explosion here...how can we draw that using 16x16 pixel tiles??" it is, "we have this REALLY amazing explosion animation...how many places can we cram it in before it gets boring??"

While it is true that use of plot writers is apt to be difficult due to the fact that they aren't on the technical development portion of the team, I think the best games come from groups who work together to advance the plot or main concept in the game.

weasel fierce
March 20th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Look at the shite they make today. And then look at games like Fallout, Baldurs Gate 2, Planescape Torment, Star Control 2.....

Somenoob
March 20th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I only like the clasical SNES role playing games. I've been indifferent to modern games ever since they started to be heartless. And most of it is developed for windows so it's useless to many here.

infestor
December 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Look at the shite they make today. And then look at games like Fallout, Baldurs Gate 2, Planescape Torment, Star Control 2.....

good old blackisle, eh? :)

SuperSonic4
December 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
xxx n

Where n is an integer. Originality has long been dead

Cuddles McKitten
December 20th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I wish people would make adventure games again instead of just pumping out 3D Shooter With Slightly Different Graphics #54,327. :( The old LucasArts and Sierra games were gold.

NoaHall
December 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM
good old blackisle, eh? :)

Good old thread, eh?

jimi_hendrix
December 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM
i was reading a game magazine the other day that presented the question of "why do videogame stories suck"

lies lies! Have they not played metal gear solid!

JDShu
December 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Do you think game stories and gameplay will get better in the future or just stay the same w/ only a few exceptional titles?

We've always had just the same with only a few exceptional titles. Even in the old sierra days, you had terrible logic games that were released alongside them.

Edit: wow, I just noticed the necromancy

SuperSonic4
December 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM
We've always had just the same with only a few exceptional titles. Even in the old sierra days, you had terrible logic games that were released alongside them.

Edit: wow, I just noticed the necromancy

I didn't notice it until you said it.

I'd like to see a shift back towards gameplay instead of striving for better and better graphics, take tetris for example - it ain't flashy but still considered an excellent game.

I've just completed S3K and it's still better than nearly all the games that have followed it

NoaHall
December 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM
IDK, I'd like graphics to be on par with something like RF:G, and gameplay to be good too.

Isengrin
December 20th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I only like the clasical SNES role playing games. I've been indifferent to modern games ever since they started to be heartless. And most of it is developed for windows so it's useless to many here.

Yeah, I feel the same. Stopped caring for videogames since the N64 lifespan ended.
SNES rules.

(Altough, I admit, Ragnarok Online is pretty addictive).

NCLI
December 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I was reading a game magazine the other day that presented the question of "Why do videogame stories suck?"
The magazine was probably 6 months old because they were talking about Splinter Cell: Double Agent coming out soon.

One of the questions asked was "Do game studios hire plot writers?" and his answer was that only a few did. Companies like BioWare and a few others. They said that the problem with those that hired writers was that they didn't work with the core development team so it was hard to tie a plot together w/o being part of the dev team.

I take it that you've never played Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Braid, Uncharted, etc? The stories are only getting better, it's nothing to worry about. Most of them are better than the average Hollywood movie.

BrokenKingpin
December 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
lies lies! Have they not played metal gear solid!
This ^. The Metal Gear series is almost the perfect blend of story and action.

That being said, the future of gaming is doomed because of DLC; it is ruining gaming. Most games are being released these days with DLC already available for download... don't we pay enough for games as is? Game companies like EA hack out half the game and sell it as DLC on the day of release... so instead of paying 70 dollars for a game, you have to pay 120 dollars if you want the whole thing.

Between DLC and my Xbox 360 getting the red ring of death every month, I am pretty sure I will be done with main stream gaming after this generation of consoles. I am going to be looking more into open source gaming I think.