PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu in other countries and domain name issues

steffen
November 10th, 2004, 11:50 AM
After having used Ubuntu for some time, and being very impressed, I had the thought that this distro should be marketed properly in other countries as well. So I thought about getting the domain name www.ubuntu.no, to set up a Wiki on it that could with time be turned into a proper Norwegian manual, and also having another 'Unofficial Ubuntu Forum on the page'.

However, I was a bit concerned if this was the right way to do it, or to drop an email onto Canonical/Ubuntu/community first, but by the time I got to do this (I think very slowly) someone else in Norway had grabbed botht the domain name www.ubuntu.no and www.canonical.no.

This time it doesn't really matter, because the person grabbing the name turns out to be an Ubuntu bugtester. But I fear that in other countries someone will try to register these domain names, just for the hell of it, not having any plans of turning it into something proper, that would benefit us all.

I wanted to hear other people's responses to secure domain names like ubuntu.xx and ubuntulinux.xx where .xx is the country specific top-level-domain for countries around the world, where a localized Wiki could be started. Should there maybe be an official stance or acampaign to secure these names, for the future value of Ubuntu marketing?

fng
November 10th, 2004, 02:04 PM
www.ubuntu.be is allready taken :/

Its about an exchange project between south-african and belgian kids

HiddenWolf
November 10th, 2004, 07:27 PM
there is always the ubuntulinux.suffix option.

simira
May 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM
However, I was a bit concerned if this was the right way to do it, or to drop an email onto Canonical/Ubuntu/community first, but by the time I got to do this (I think very slowly) someone else in Norway had grabbed botht the domain name www.ubuntu.no and www.canonical.no.

This time it doesn't really matter, because the person grabbing the name turns out to be an Ubuntu bugtester....

Thihi.
As you probably know, www.ubuntu.no is now up and running. The owner is, just to mention it, an Ubuntu developer (one of those paid, hardworking bastards), and registered the domain for this use only.

I recommend Ubuntites in other countries to do the same!