PDA

View Full Version : Strange Vista story...

ihavenoname
March 20th, 2007, 12:32 AM
A friend of mine was installing Vista, and due to a very smudged dvd the install crashed out. However after restarting to Windows XP for a second. He dug around and found that on the partion that vista was installing to the Install files had been left. He clicked on a few of the files and found an interestingly named folder. It was called "Panther". Isn't that a version of Mac's OSX? (10.3 right?) He wasn't jokeing when he told me this, but it sounds very funny. It seems to me like the Redmond dev's were making a joke about how people were claming Vista was like Mac. AnyWays I was wondering if anyone could confirm this?

NOTE: I don't really hate vista or Microsoft, I think Vista has a very nice polished theme and some interesting features. So this is NOT simply a bash Microsoft thread. I was just hoping that if anyone had an extra partion and a copy of Vista, if they could some how start the install (till a little after it starts extracting or whatever and see if they have similar results).

Kobalt
March 20th, 2007, 12:36 AM
No 'panther' file or folder in my Vista partition... Was it an original copy of Vista ??

Thirsteh
March 20th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Was there anything inside the folder?

SishGupta
March 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM
from:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/plan/volact1.mspx

During the unattended installation process the unattend.xml file is copied to the target machine (%systemroot%\panther folder) but at the end of setup, the actual ProductKey value in this file is deleted and replaced with “SENSITIVE*DATA*DELETED”.

Xenogis
March 20th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I don't have anything like that but I pirated Vista

ihavenoname
March 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM
No 'panther' file or folder in my Vista partition... Was it an original copy of Vista ??
it's only there during the install, afterwards it gets deleted.