PDA

View Full Version : Successful MS Windows refund from Dell

der_vegi
March 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Hi!

Wow, i'm happy. Today I got back 94€ from Dell!

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook with Windows XP and Works 8.5 preinstalled. When I first started the notebook, it said i had to accept the Dell Eula by pressing any key. If i didn't accpet, i would have to call Dell. So did I, keeping my fingers off the keyboard. The technical support couldn't help me, so I wrote an email to the customer support, telling them, that I don't want to accept the Eula. First they where a little bit surprised, telling me clicking somewhere in Windows, which I of course couldn't. After my second Email they told me to delete the software, destroy the CDs and give them my bank account for a refund, which I did. Only some days later I received the money.

Yeah! No more MS tax! :)

SishGupta
March 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Wow thats a lot! very cool.

mountielad
March 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Very cool!
I had a problem with the Dell delivery service here in Ireland, I complained and got a refund of €25. They seem to be quite responisive to complaints, but as with any big corporation, their profits and disproportionatley poor customer service operations will lead to their demise.

SZF2001
March 27th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Why would they have you destroy the discs? If anything, you should keep them as coasters - it's not the discs they should worry about, it's the registration key code thing that comes with every Windows purchase.

Cloudy
March 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Why would they have you destroy the discs? If anything, you should keep them as coasters - it's not the discs they should worry about, it's the registration key code thing that comes with every Windows purchase.

Because someone has a thing for the dramatic at Dell. ;)

Kobalt
March 27th, 2007, 06:33 PM
That is very very good news, though the procedure seems odd...

madmaxx
March 29th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Hi there!
Just to let you know that I also managed to get Vista refunded from Dell Germany after purchasing a new C521 model. I even got back the money for Work8.0. These news even made it onto SlashDot's (http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/25/1944209) front page some days ago -- and gave our server 18'000 visits in one day... :rolleyes:
I put down the whole email conversation here (http://www.thealternative.ch/tiki-index.php?page=Software-Refund-en).
Good luck in your country! madmaxx

EdThaSlayer
March 29th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Funny that they asked you to destroy the discs. I thought that they would ask you to send the disc back and then when they have gotten the discs give you back your money. But burning and destroying the discs does sound cooler. :)

daynah
March 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
w00t! Good going. I hope you remembered to say thank you.

Gargamella
March 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Funny that they asked you to destroy the discs. I thought that they would ask you to send the disc back and then when they have gotten the discs give you back your money. But burning and destroying the discs does sound cooler. :)

yeah it is more like a secret deal ;D