PDA

View Full Version : Which IRC Client do you prefer to use?

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Which IRC Client do you prefer to use?

LookTJ
March 19th, 2007, 05:20 AM
I like peekko's client. For other servers, either gaim or xchat.

Kingsley
March 19th, 2007, 05:21 AM
I prefer XChat but I'm still searching for an Mirc equivalent.

bikeboy
March 19th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Xchat has been my favourite so far. Tried Xchat-gnome but couldn't find a few things I need, and I'm only a basic user.

slimdog360
March 19th, 2007, 05:24 AM
peekko chat of course

kevinf311
March 19th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I like the streamlined Web experience I get from Peekko Chat.

Also the people on it rock.

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 05:26 AM
I like peekko's client. For other servers, either gaim or xchat.I prefer Peekko Chat also...

it is the official host of the #ubuntuforums.org channel on the irc.peekko.com host!:)

for other host like freenode; Konversation, but Ksirc is nice to

macogw
March 19th, 2007, 05:28 AM
XChat-GNOME

FoolsGold
March 19th, 2007, 05:28 AM
XChat with Gnome extension.

Seems peekko is damn popular, and I've never heard of it before. That's the "problem" with Linux - you've got so many choices, you're never quite sure if your choice is the best out there. With Windows at least it's simple - there's mIRC... and that's about it.

Ah well, another piece of info to add to the ever growing pile. :KS

slimdog360
March 19th, 2007, 05:33 AM
its a firefox extension which builds the chat right into the browser

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Seems peekko is damn popular, and I've never heard of it before. That's the "problem" with Linux - you've got so many choices, you're never quite sure if your choice is the best out there. With Windows at least it's simple - there's mIRC... and that's about it.

Ah well, another piece of info to add to the ever growing pile. :KSPeekko is growing in popularity because it host the #ubuntuforums.org channel and our members can chat within Firefox
http://peekko.com/

see the screenshot below of Peekko in action, if anybody wants to join your fellow ubuntuforums.org members we are always talking right under the webpage...

ubuntuforums.org underground

LookTJ
March 19th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Peekko is growing in popularity because it host the #ubuntuforums.org channel and our members can chat within Firefox
http://peekko.com/

see the screenshot below of Peekko in action, if anybody wants to join your fellow ubuntuforums.org members we are always talking right under the webpage...

ubuntuforums.org underground
and ranked #1 in popularity on the peekko server. :guitar:

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
and ranked #1 in popularity on the peekko server. :guitar:
Yes, it is interesting to see the ubuntuforums.org community in action.

maagimies
March 19th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Irssi when in console and X-Chat in X (NOT the butchered "Gnome version", I still have nightmares about the lack of buttons and userlists :confused:)

bonzodog
March 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I am a terminal/Console freak, so I use weechat, on the freenode server, where I hang out at the #ubuntuforums channel there, and some other channels as well.

I have been using IRC since 1996 (the same year I also discovered Linux and the net), and AFAIK, it is one of the oldest protocols still in Active use, and almost impossible to police or pin down - take one server down and there are always others on the network still active, often in countries where diplomacy is difficult. For this reason, it is often used for things like warez, and various other nefarious pirating and hacking activities.
A lot of Botnet attacks originate over the IRC network, which generally speaking uses port 6667 to communicate.