PDA

View Full Version : Graphic designers?

maniacmusician
March 19th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Are any of you graphic designers? Handy with the GIMP or Inkscape? artistically oriented? have an eye for colors?

I ask because I'm currently working on a project called "Understanding Ubuntu." It is basically a long-term project whose goal is true education for existing and new Linux users. I've found that a better solution than providing tech support to every person you convert to Linux is to actually educate them and teach them what they're doing. That way, they'll figure stuff out on their own, explore, and generally have a better understanding of their system. Of course, it's too much work to teach all the basics to every single person I convert, so I decided to turn it into this project and share with everyone.

But, to the point; I need to create a website on which to run this project. I've already got hosting (thanks to one of our generous members here), and the account for the site is set up (installed wordpress and everything), but it still needs to be designed. However, I'm probably one of the worst graphic designers that the world has ever seen, and I really can't be trusted to do this job on my own. Not at all.

I need help with a bunch of things:

- Designing a logo (the one I spent 5 minutes on in Inkscape was a joke. See attached)
- Coming up with a color pallet for the website
- Maybe some help with page layout; I might be okay on that front though
- Creating/Modifying a theme for WordPress (this isn't high-priority)
- If you're a web-designer as well, that would be a great help, but it's not absolutely necessary

Mostly, I just need help with the graphics design aspect of it. Any takers? This is a pretty slow-going project. I'm not going to go public with the website until the first set of articles is done, and that could be a long time depending on how much free time I have every day, so there really are not many time restrictions on this puppy. I just need someone skilled to help me out.

It'll be much appreciated. Thanks.

maniacmusician
March 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM
what? no one?

I'm going to chalk it up to bad timing for a post and give it one conspicuous [bump]

v8YKxgHe
March 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I do a lot of 3D computer graphics and I use Photoshop pretty much on a daily basis for post-processing and textures. I'm also a web developer (that sticks to strict W3C standards) and am coding my own open-source php CMS to be released late June. I'd be willing to help if you want =)

MadsRH
April 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Is this project still ongoing? If so, you should place a post in the Artwork section.

MadsRH

Nano Geek
April 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I don't know if you are still interested, but I can do HTML and CSS and I think I'm fairly good at designing graphics. (see attachment)

I couldn't give it just a whole lot of time with school and all, but I'd be happy to help if you want it.

st0n3cutt3r
April 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I'll think about this today a little and see if I can think of anything design/logo-wise.

PmDematagoda
April 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I understand that there are people who want to help in this matter but reviving old threads is not the way.

If you still want to continue this discussion then you can do so by PMing the person in question.