PDA

View Full Version : The Debate is over ubuntu wins

Supergoo
March 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I made a earlier thread about debating on dropping Windows Vista, Well it finally happened and my PC is now 100% free of any Microsoft Products. :KS I had planned to use Winxp but it seems when you activate Vista you XP Key is junked. SO I sat down and thought I do not game anymore besides World of Warcraft and I have my iMac for that which works just fine. So other then that I did not need to have Windows I have everything I needed to fit my needs. My Wife just wants to surf the web and Check her Webbased Yahoo Mail and play Majaongg. being able to customize it to her needs is nice since she has some health issues and being able to configure the Desktop so its easy for her has been a blessing. You know Vista was a pain to install and then less then 1 month from the install it had already started to have issues , computer slow downs and asorted other items that are to new to even name. I would recommend anybody who is considering switch to use these steps and I beleive that ubuntu will win you over, it did me .

1. Play with the Live CD
2. Partition and instal ubuntu along side you Windows OS,play with ubuntu try installing programs try the other desktop Managers, install the drivers for you Video card ect ect, live with it kick the tires and enjoy. If after this you do not like ubuntu its ok try another Linux or just delete Linux and head back to Windows ( We still Like you :) )
3. Format the harddrive and install ubuntu and do not look back :popcorn:

Good Luck and thanks to all the people who helped make this conversion fun ,exciting and almost painless :lolflag:

floke
March 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Glad to hear it went so well for you.
Feels good to be MS free doesn't it :)

darkhatter
March 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM
world of warcraft works for wine, so you can give that a try if you want

bks
March 18th, 2007, 11:48 PM
I am almost there myself, I got Wine working and now only a couple things remain. I haven't touched Windows in weeks and I plan to keep it that way.

Congratulations!:guitar:

jcconnor
March 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM
According to this guy it is not possible!! I think your post has been planted - read below

You are kidding arent you ?
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.
Posted by: jerryleecooper Posted on: 03/14/07

So, I suggest you go ahead and admit your mistake and just sign over your bank account to MS this instant!!!

:lolflag:

John

mykalreborn
March 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM
You are kidding arent you ?
Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.
Posted by: jerryleecooper Posted on: 03/14/07
:lolflag:
and yet again the ignorance of some people...

karellen
March 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I made a earlier thread about debating on dropping Windows Vista, Well it finally happened and my PC is now 100% free of any Microsoft Products. :KS I had planned to use Winxp but it seems when you activate Vista you XP Key is junked. SO I sat down and thought I do not game anymore besides World of Warcraft and I have my iMac for that which works just fine. So other then that I did not need to have Windows I have everything I needed to fit my needs. My Wife just wants to surf the web and Check her Webbased Yahoo Mail and play Majaongg. being able to customize it to her needs is nice since she has some health issues and being able to configure the Desktop so its easy for her has been a blessing. You know Vista was a pain to install and then less then 1 month from the install it had already started to have issues , computer slow downs and asorted other items that are to new to even name. I would recommend anybody who is considering switch to use these steps and I beleive that ubuntu will win you over, it did me .

1. Play with the Live CD
2. Partition and instal ubuntu along side you Windows OS,play with ubuntu try installing programs try the other desktop Managers, install the drivers for you Video card ect ect, live with it kick the tires and enjoy. If after this you do not like ubuntu its ok try another Linux or just delete Linux and head back to Windows ( We still Like you :) )

Good Luck and thanks to all the people who helped make this conversion fun ,exciting and almost painless :lolflag:

congrats and welcome. may the ubuntu be with you! :D

dracomordag
March 19th, 2007, 05:39 PM
LinuxBIOS, imo

kostkon
March 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM

1. Play with the Live CD

Happy to hear about this!! I wish you, for the future, happy Ubuntu times.

Cheers!