PDA

View Full Version : Great Resources

Linuturk
March 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Seeing as we want to spread Ubuntu as much as possible, I have a couple of ideas.

Local Linux User's Groups are a great place to start. I have an administrative position at www.lugot.org and I recommend Ubuntu to most of the new members.

Colleges are also great. Most of us college students like trying new things. Show them some fancy Beryl, and they'll ask how to get it.

feravolo
March 18th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Good Idea, Also Many local weekly papers have an announcement section of their classifieds that doesn't cost anything.

I can also spring for the ten dollars a month to run an ad for our group in Insight East Orlando, a small monthly magazine that circulates in the "affluent" sections of East Orange County. The publisher of Insight also runs the Thursday Morning (8:30am) leads group at the Orlando Airport Marriott.

Note: "Affluent" seems to be a real popular word to use when selling media, since I read the magazine too.

I welcome anyone that can help me write these types of ads, since I majored in Computer Science, and used look at my diploma to spell "enginner". A cool flyer for our group would help too.

Peace

Mike Feravolo

bodycoach2
March 24th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Writer here, with published book (http://fivefloridawriters.com/). I'll do my part and help with literature.

I think the best way to get more people using Ubuntu is with a Free Geek (http://www.freegeek.org) chapter/francise. I've been trying to start a Central Florida Free Geek. This is the land of over-consumerism, and lots of old equipment is around. I've given out over a dozen Ubuntu 'FreeBox (http://freegeek.org/freekbox.php)' computers so far. My biggest challenge is the wireless part. Most people who need and want a computer, but can't afford one, can't afford an Internet connection either. So, I try to get them linked up wirelessly. Anyone want to get a cantenna production line going?

The FreeGeek Wiki (http://wiki.freegeek.org)

If we can get older computers into the hands of people who need them, we can get more Ubuntu computers being used, and eventually have more adoption that Mac OS X. If we can do that, the software that everyone wants (Photoshop, Quickbooks, etc) will take notice and make software for those who want it. I'm happy with my free stuff (GIMP, GNUcash, etc), and I'll continue talking it up.

It's late, and the idea machine needs sleep.

GMachine_24
March 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM
uhm.... ok... so i'm not sure why i am posting this except that your posts have hit an interest of mine . . . i once ran a (very) small computer business.. it's defunct... all leftover parts, however, are not. i have wondered about building systems with open source software and donating them to 'worthy' causes.... what kind of fries my *** is our local library (pinellas county) system has like NO books but dozens of computers running WINDOWS, hooked up to the Internet. For a library system without much money this seems like an extravagance unless of course uncle bill donated the software . . . they could easily be running apache instead of you know what and desktops could be running linux . . . and saving i would guess thousands of dollars a year.

anyway i looked at the 'freegeek' link - looks interesting. (part of the reason i still have all these parts and have done nothing is that i have been sick so practically speaking there are limits to what i can do but hauling stuff to the county recycling center always seems like such a waste).

glad to see your post. maybe i will check in again.

oh.... i am running edgy and 6.10 lts..

jjakspaw6
April 24th, 2007, 04:38 AM
I was thinking about community/activity groups. holding classes to show people how easy it is to use UBUNTU and do all of the same things that they can do in windows.... maybe link that with the freegeek idea and teach less fourtunate kids and be able to give them a PC as well......

these sort of groups ussually charge the public for the class.... that may be one of the few downfalls.
I am good at showing people how to use diffrent types software and OSes....

I pass the word of Ubuntu to as many people I talk to everyday and offer out cd's where and when I can....

My new favorite pass time is putting my My old AMD XP-m laptop up against fitsta machines and compareing speed and abilities...... compare vista areo to beryl.!!!!!!

Bordy
April 24th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I think a good place for that kind of thing might be colleges in the area. It seems an obvious idea, but it may be the only one. Contacting whatever type of computer people they have, and seeing how to go about setting up a small class/demo with some liveCDs.