PDA

View Full Version : Game Pgramming for the Web

MikePB
June 2nd, 2005, 12:51 AM
Has anyone even tried game programming for the web? And if so, what did you use?

I've been trying with a mix of PHP & JavaScript, and am finding it difficult. Of course, it would help if I knew Javascript as well as I do PHP :-P

ltmon
June 2nd, 2005, 02:47 AM
It depends on what kind of game you are trying to do.

Highly dynamic games with animation etc. are possible in Javascript/DHTML, but I can't think of many more painful things to program. The best thing to use there is flash, or if you're feeling adventurous to get a nightly build of firefox with SVG built in (I think SVG will be standard in the next release) and give that a try.

L.

MikePB
June 2nd, 2005, 03:15 AM
Yeah.... JavaScript is painful. And I'm doing a simple snes style RPG. My big hangup is doing collision detection. I think I'll be rewriting the engine too. Ergh :)

i-tech
June 3rd, 2005, 05:45 PM
is it going to be played in browser? i once wrote a MUD server with Java, You can use Java. it's very helpful using objects for game programing in Java.

MikePB
June 4th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Yeah, in a browser window. I've been toying with using some of Mozilla's stuff for the network connections. As for Java... I'm NOT good with Java... really, it makes my head hurt...

i-tech
June 4th, 2005, 08:01 AM
ohh i see :) then try out flash... ActionScripting works well for browser games.

MikePB
June 4th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Maybe. I know GPLFlash is making a comeback...

Or I've got Crossover Office :P