PDA

View Full Version : "No kernel modules were found"

Eluzion
March 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Usually I can find a solution to every Ubuntu related problem on these forums but I seem to be stuck with this one. I'm trying to install the latest Herd 5 using the alternate CD (I'm running the GeForce 8800GTS so I have to use the alternate method), but I get an error during install that states "No kernel modules were found...". I've tried two different builds (downloaded from the daily builds) and still the same problem.

Any ideas?

Syke
March 18th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I was able to just ignore the error and continue with the install. Did you try to continue?

Eluzion
March 18th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I did, but after I reboot (after the installation)... I see my motherboard splash screen and it starts loading Ubuntu but I lose video. I let it side for about 10 minutes and the HDD looked like it was idling and still no image from the screen.

Eluzion
March 19th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Any ideas?

GRUB loads, and it appears to be loading the GUI but then the screen just goes blank and there is no signal. I've tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, but nothing. I tried reconfiguring the xorg file or whatever to a lower resolution, but still the same issue. I'm running the GeForce 8800GTS, which I know I will need to install the video drivers manually but shouldn't it at least give me the xserver can't start error message and throw me into the terminal?

Also, there are no network drivers for my motherboard (Intel BX2, 975 chipset). I tried downloading the latest Nvidia drivers through the recovery mode but obviously can't do that either with no internet.

Henrik
March 19th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hm, odd. I got this same error with the server install, which is like alternate, but my alternate installs were fine.

Apparently it's an ABI incompatability between the kernel and the d-i installer.

Update: I've added some bug-category questions to the FAQ (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Community/FAQ).