PDA

View Full Version : Which BitTorrent Client do you prefer to use?

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Linux Format has a great article in this Months issue, I thought it would be cool to run a poll on the BitTorrent clients they featured:

1. Azureus
2. BitTornado
3. BitTorrent
4. Deluge
5. KTorrent
6. TorrentFlux
7. Transmission

I have also included a few more that were not featured in Linux Format:

8. rTorrent
9. qBittorent
10. Gnome BitTorrent

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Linux Format has a great article in this Months issue, I thought it would be cool to run a poll on the BitTorrent clients they featured:

1. Azureus
2. BitTornado
3. BitTorrent
4. Deluge
5. KTorrent
6. TorrentFlux
7. Transmission

8. rTorrent
9. qBittorent
10. Gnome BitTorrentI prefer KTorrent :)

FuturePilot
March 18th, 2007, 03:53 AM
I usually use BitTorrent but I have also used KTorrent once or twice. It does have a lot more options than BitTorrent.

zachtib
March 18th, 2007, 03:56 AM

1. Azureus
2. BitTornado
3. BitTorrent
4. Deluge
5. KTorrent
6. TorrentFlux
7. Transmission

8. rTorrent
9. qBittorent
10. Gnome BitTorrent

Could someone link/email me the article. I see that it mentions Deluge, and I'm curious what they had to say.

Toadmund
March 18th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Isn't 'frostwire' a bit-torrent client?
Seems to work pretty good for me.
On windows XP I used emule with protocol obfuscation.

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Could someone link/email me the article. I see that it mentions Deluge, and I'm curious what they had to say.Their overall rating was not good for Deluge:

Linux Format|Verdict
Deluge
Version:0.4
Web: http://www.deluge-torrent.org
Price: Free under GPL

>>A project with potential but still too young to compete with the big boys.

Rating 5/10The article is of course much longer but here is their final verdict.

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Isn't 'frostwire' a bit-torrent client?
Seems to work pretty good for me.
On windows XP I used emule with protocol obfuscation.Their are many BitTorrent clients only 7 were reviewed by Linux Format(the first 7 listed), I added 3 more...within the ubuntuforums.org polls there is only room for 10 options any other Clients would have to be listed here...

ButteBlues
March 18th, 2007, 04:30 AM
You left the best BT client off that list.

I use uTorrent via wine. There simply is no substitute for it on any platform.

Spr0k3t
March 18th, 2007, 04:55 AM
I've been watching deluge... yes, it is young, but promises to be the end-all application for bittorrent. Otherwise just using azureus for most bittorrent stuff.

BWF89
March 18th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I used to be a BitTornado guy but now I use Azureus on my PC and Mac.

Nikron
March 18th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Torrentflux, but that basically means I used BitTornado..

banjobacon
March 18th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I like the the official Bittorrent client (version 4.something, as I can't get the newest versions to run on Ubuntu). It's got a good interface (different from Bittorrent 5.0, I think), and works. I'm not a fan of the Azureus-like interfaces, which spread a lot of information out horizontally on thin lines, and with a multitude of buttons on the toolbar. I also like Transmission.

SZF2001
March 18th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Man, KTorrent all the way for me. Works like a charm (Happy St. Patricks Day, btw).

Polygon
March 18th, 2007, 07:32 AM
i would prefer to use deluge, but until it gets UnUP support, im gonna have to stick to azureus.

Kateikyoushi
March 18th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I prefer rtorrent but most likely not for long with the speed deluge matures.

karellen
March 18th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I like ktorrent, it has everything I need

zachtib
March 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Their overall rating was not good for Deluge:

The article is of course much longer but here is their final verdict.

ah, they looked at the older version. 0.4 had a slew of problems. I'd still be interested in reading the entire article if you can get it to me. I'm very accepting of constructive criticism, and I'm curious of what they had to say

I've been watching deluge... yes, it is young, but promises to be the end-all application for bittorrent. Otherwise just using azureus for most bittorrent stuff.

I prefer rtorrent but most likely not for long with the speed deluge matures.

I'm amazed at how often this statement crops up. Everyone seems to expect Deluge to become the end-all torrent client for Linux, and I must admit, I like the sentiment. :)

Hortinstein
March 18th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I run Azureus right now, but only because deluge doesnt have the latest build in a package form, and I am too noob to figure out how to install it...the client looks great and azureus is like a dinosaur

Lord Illidan
March 18th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Azureus.

Quillz
March 18th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I use kTorrent (preferred) on KDE, Azureus on GNOME, Xtorrent on Mac and uTorrent on Windows.

zachtib
March 19th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I run Azureus right now, but only because deluge doesnt have the latest build in a package form, and I am too noob to figure out how to install it...the client looks great and azureus is like a dinosaur

0.5 is out and packaged: http://deluge-torrent.org/downloads/deb/

smbm
March 19th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I prefer to use Deluge (which I voted for) but lack of uPNP means that it just isn't practical as I don't have access to my router. I'm really looking forward to this being implemented.

In the meantime I am using Azureus.

zachtib
March 19th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I prefer to use Deluge (which I voted for) but lack of uPNP means that it just isn't practical as I don't have access to my router. I'm really looking forward to this being implemented.

In the meantime I am using Azureus.

workin on it... hope to have it in the next release

Polygon
March 19th, 2007, 12:26 AM

good to hear, that means i can finally get rid of Azureus when it comes out :D

smbm
March 19th, 2007, 12:27 AM

You're the best.

Cheers

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 12:34 AM
ah, they looked at the older version. 0.4 had a slew of problems. I'd still be interested in reading the entire article if you can get it to me. I'm very accepting of constructive criticism, and I'm curious of what they had to say

I'm amazed at how often this statement crops up. Everyone seems to expect Deluge to become the end-all torrent client for Linux, and I must admit, I like the sentiment. :)

It is a multi page article it may be best for you to buy the magazine....if you can't let me know and I will try to post an image of the specific part about Deluge....

They rated Azureus the highest, which I don't agree with 9/10

They rated TorrentFlux the next highest 8/10(which I have never tried)

My choice which is KTorrent was rated as 6/10

I didn't include on this poll and am interested if anybody has used Opera which has a built in Torrent client?

zachtib
March 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM
It is a multi page article it may be best for you to buy the magazine....if you can't let me know and I will try to post an image of the specific part about Deluge....

actually, I did buy it. I found a copy at Borders

ButteBlues
March 19th, 2007, 01:46 AM
The BT client in Opera is completely awful and many private trackers like OiNK will ban you for using it.

Sammi
March 19th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I think uTorrent should be included in this poll. It works wonderfully under Wine. Much better than any other client I have tried, and I've tried almost every one on this list.

But I must admit that I'm following the development of Deluge intensely. Got it installed and updated via SVN and all. I'm just waiting for it to become more feature-ready and stable, because I'm sort of a torrent power-user. For now I think it's coming along nicely. Version 0.5 is actually not bad at all. Looking forward to a very usable version come feisty +1.

Polygon
March 19th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I think uTorrent should be included in this poll. It works wonderfully under Wine. Much better than any other client I have tried, and I've tried almost every one on this list.

But I must admit that I'm following the development of Deluge intensely. Got it installed and updated via SVN and all. I'm just waiting for it to become more feature-ready and stable, because I'm sort of a torrent power-user. For now I think it's coming along nicely. Version 0.5 is actually not bad at all. Looking forward to a very usable version come feisty +1.

utorrent is not a native linux bittorent program though, which is mostly why its not included

and im guessing that the opera client does not have an option to disable DHT, which basically all private trackers require becuase they want to keep the sharing of the file within their own tracker, and if you have DHT running then you can share the files you are downloading from the private tracker with people who arnt part of the private tracker

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 02:36 AM
actually, I did buy it. I found a copy at Borders
Awesome what did you think overall?

I thought they were a bit harsh on Deluge?

zachtib
March 19th, 2007, 03:17 AM
I thought they were a bit harsh on Deluge?

I didn't really think so.

First off, Deluge tied with Mainline, and beat both Transmission and BitTornado, which are three clients in a similar class as Deluge. KTorrent only beat it by one point, and Azuereus obviously took the cake.

The only real complaint they seemed to emphasize is the lack of uPnP, which I plan to work on for the next release.

Also, most times they criticized the client, they were quick to note that the project is still relatively young. They also mentioned that they had tested 0.4, and that 0.5 would bring a lot of changes.

user1397
March 19th, 2007, 03:23 AM

First off, Deluge tied with Mainline, and beat both Transmission and BitTornado, which are three clients in a similar class as Deluge. KTorrent only beat it by one point, and Azuereus obviously took the cake.

The only real complaint they seemed to emphasize is the lack of uPnP, which I plan to work on for the next release.

Also, most times they criticized the client, they were quick to note that the project is still relatively young. They also mentioned that they had tested 0.4, and that 0.5 would bring a lot of changes.I guess they weren't too harsh then :)
by the way, congrats on the new release (0.5)! I really like what you guys are doing with deluge, I love the fact that there's a native python/gtk+ app now for gnome and xfce, thanks for all your hard work.

zachtib
March 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM
by the way, congrats on the new release (0.5)!

thanks

I really like what you guys are doing with deluge, I love the fact that there's a native python/gtk+ app now for gnome and xfce, thanks for all your hard work.

that's our goal

it still amazes me how much attention this project is getting, and it's kind of exciting. :)

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Also, most times they criticized the client, they were quick to note that the project is still relatively young. They also mentioned that they had tested 0.4, and that 0.5 would bring a lot of changes.yeah I guess you right, I found them a bit biased to Azureus, and a bit harsh elsewhere

zachtib
March 19th, 2007, 04:05 AM
yeah I guess you right, I found them a bit biased to Azureus, and a bit harsh elsewhere

this is true. People often praise Azureus for it's numerous features, but how many are really needed to download a file?

Granted, there are some important features... DHT, uPnP, BPE, and PEX come to mind. But some of Azuereus is over the top IMHO.

Kateikyoushi
March 19th, 2007, 04:07 AM

I had high hopes for transmission, but close to a year a nothing from them while in a few month you made something which compares to utorrent.

esaym
March 19th, 2007, 04:18 AM
ktorrent and torrent flux

Somenoob
March 19th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Is there any native linux app similar to Utorrent?

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 04:34 AM
this is true. People often praise Azureus for it's numerous features, but how many are really needed to download a file?

Granted, there are some important features... DHT, uPnP, BPE, and PEX come to mind. But some of Azuereus is over the top IMHO.I agree I hate the bloat of this application.

metalkr
March 19th, 2007, 04:35 AM
when i started with my kubuntu, i used Ktorrent, but i don't like it. Later, Azureus and it's good. Now i use transmission because it is simple and low cpu/ram cosume. I recommend it widely \m/

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 04:38 AM
when i started with my kubuntu, i used Ktorrent, but i don't like it. Later, Azureus and it's good. Now i use transmission because it is simple and low cpu/ram cosume. I recommend it widely \m/makes me wonder if TorrentFlux is nice?

ButteBlues
March 19th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Is there any native linux app similar to Utorrent?
Deluge is a start, but it's still too early.

uTorrent in WINE runs _perfectly_ though.

zachtib
March 19th, 2007, 05:42 AM
when i started with my kubuntu, i used Ktorrent, but i don't like it. Later, Azureus and it's good. Now i use transmission because it is simple and low cpu/ram cosume. I recommend it widely \m/

transmisson has some "issues" with the way it reports data to trackers, IIRC.

Currently, Transmission does not strictly adhere to the complete BitTorrent specification. Its behaviour has led to the client being banned from several private trackers. There has been a heated discussion regarding the matter on the Transmission forum about whether or not it is really a problem.

make me wonder if TorrentFlux is nice?

It's... interesting. Obviously, its a bit out of the ordinary, but it's a neat idea. I've set up a torrentflux installation on my home server so i can send things over to download, mainly just to play with it. It's not for everybody, but in some cases, it could prove useful.

RAV TUX
March 19th, 2007, 05:45 AM
It's... interesting. Obviously, its a bit out of the ordinary, but it's a neat idea. I've set up a torrentflux installation on my home server so i can send things over to download, mainly just to play with it. It's not for everybody, but in some cases, it could prove useful.

Thanks for the 411

zachtib
March 19th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the 411

I spend a looot of time testing and researching torrent clients :P

metalkr
March 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
with WWE torrents and some mp3, i have not had troubles with <B>Transmission</B> but sometimes, some torrents i downloaded (and i share) with Azureus. I like them

Kobalt
March 20th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Deluge ! Deluge ! Deluge !
Seriously, especially with 0.5 : Gnome now has a great torrent tool.

Nikron
March 20th, 2007, 01:08 AM
makes me wonder if TorrentFlux is nice?

torrentflux does not come with Transmission, you have to add it. Torrentflux uses BitTornado on the default install..

Toontwnca
March 20th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I use BitTorrent. I have Azureus installed but don't use it much.

diskotek
March 20th, 2007, 03:20 AM
The BT client in Opera is completely awful and many private trackers like OiNK will ban you for using it.

i'm not using torrents so much, but Opera browser works fine for me as a torrent client. but yeah this is completely right!

bionnaki
March 20th, 2007, 03:35 AM
the latest ktorrent is clearly the best bittorrent client available. azurues would be if it werent dependent on java and was so resource heavy. ktorrent is very much like utorrent. I highly recommend it even if you dont use kde.

Luggy
March 20th, 2007, 03:42 AM
I'm giving deluge a try. I used qTorrent and it was quite nice but I want to try and stick with gnome apps.

darweth
March 20th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I use ktorrent! Nice app. Waiting for deluge to mature more.

Mateo
March 20th, 2007, 05:32 AM
I still use utorrent just because it has the best features. A few must-haves for me are:

1) Automatically moving completed torrents. A simple option, yet utorrent is the only client I know of that does this. I don't want to download my files directly to my ~ folder because what if they are huge files that take days, even weeks? I have to stare at the unfinished file every time I look in my home folder? No thanks. Download it to ~/.temporary or something like that, somewhere hidden, and then move it to ~ after it's complete. Yet no other client will do this for me. Weird.

2) DHT. After you've used utorrent, I don't see how anyone can go back to a non-DHT client. It makes downloads get up to speed soooo much faster.

That's it! 2 features I can't live without, yet utorrent is the only to have both.

Mateo
March 20th, 2007, 05:34 AM
the latest ktorrent is clearly the best bittorrent client available. azurues would be if it werent dependent on java and was so resource heavy. ktorrent is very much like utorrent. I highly recommend it even if you dont use kde.

I just looked at it on synaptic to see if it's worth it. In my opinion it's not worth it for non KDE users. ktorrent plus all of the dependencies it needs is 75 megabytes. 75 megabytes for a torrent client? Not for me.

K.Mandla
March 20th, 2007, 07:20 AM
rtorrent all the way. I abandoned Azureus the moment I realized what an immense bloated hog it is.

I do like Deluge though, if I have to have a GUI.

atdi4ever
March 20th, 2007, 08:34 AM
i wouldnt use any of those (even though i voted) its all about uTorrent

Corbelius
March 20th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Gnome BitTorrent

EdThaSlayer
March 20th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I prefer to use Deluge. It seems to be quite a light full-featured program and its written in a better language than java[Azureus), python :D.

eponymous
March 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM
azureus but what i really want is a uTorrent port to Linux

BugenhagenXIII
March 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I use rTorrent. Started of with Azureus, then switched to KTorrent, then Deluge, then rTorrent. I like Deluge, but nothing beats having screen + ncmpc + rtorrent + mutt on tty6. That way if I do something stupid and kill the GUI, my music and torrents are uninterrupted, and I can still check my mail. I also have a habit of, after restoring the GUI, forgetting to restart my torrents, so rTorrent is perfect.

kahrytan
March 20th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I don't use any of those torrents. I use uTorrent. It was designed to function under Wine.

darweth
March 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I still use utorrent just because it has the best features. A few must-haves for me are:

1) Automatically moving completed torrents. A simple option, yet utorrent is the only client I know of that does this. I don't want to download my files directly to my ~ folder because what if they are huge files that take days, even weeks? I have to stare at the unfinished file every time I look in my home folder? No thanks. Download it to ~/.temporary or something like that, somewhere hidden, and then move it to ~ after it's complete. Yet no other client will do this for me. Weird.

2) DHT. After you've used utorrent, I don't see how anyone can go back to a non-DHT client. It makes downloads get up to speed soooo much faster.

That's it! 2 features I can't live without, yet utorrent is the only to have both.

DHT Is not allowed on any private tracker that is worth a damn. Seriously. That is how we can avoid it. :P So it is a non-issue really. You should explore the world of private trackers. They are also lightning fast because people actually seed and do not throttle, so DHT is a non-issue when it comes to speed as well. I personally don't understand how people use public trackers, but then again I am an American. I like to avoid RIAA/MPAA/NBC Universal letters, warnings, harassment, etc. Heh. All of which I and many others have experienced as the result of using piratesbay, mininova, demonoid, etc.

darweth
March 20th, 2007, 08:05 PM
How does everyone here TOLERATE the flickering in Utorrent? I know that we keep our clients minimized 99.9% of the time, but still... it hurts my head so bad when I actually have to look at it. :) I am also a perfectionist sorta and cannot tolerate any flaws. The flickering is a major problem to me in WINE.

kahrytan
March 20th, 2007, 08:29 PM
How does everyone here TOLERATE the flickering in Utorrent? I know that we keep our clients minimized 99.9% of the time, but still... it hurts my head so bad when I actually have to look at it. :) I am also a perfectionist sorta and cannot tolerate any flaws. The flickering is a major problem to me in WINE.

It doesn't bother me. I am used to it. uTorrent is the best client.

casaschi
March 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM
mldonkey

darweth
March 20th, 2007, 08:40 PM
It doesn't bother me. I am used to it. uTorrent is the best client.

I do agree that uTorrent is the best client, function-wise. ;) Flickering aside though, I would probably not use it were it available for Linux because it is not open source. I am far from a FSF-freakazoid, but when it comes to questionable activities (copyrighted downloads :x), I enjoy the comfort of knowing that the source code has been peeped at by many souls. I am not sure if these worries are grounded or not, but it enables me to sleep at night.

ButteBlues
March 20th, 2007, 11:09 PM
On Feisty, with current wine and such, the flickering bug has disappeared for me. :)

KanadaKid
March 20th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Azureus is my preferred client. I've been using it for some time now, and generally, I'm satisfied.

Mateo
March 20th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I use rTorrent. Started of with Azureus, then switched to KTorrent, then Deluge, then rTorrent. I like Deluge, but nothing beats having screen + ncmpc + rtorrent + mutt on tty6. That way if I do something stupid and kill the GUI, my music and torrents are uninterrupted, and I can still check my mail. I also have a habit of, after restoring the GUI, forgetting to restart my torrents, so rTorrent is perfect.

I tried rtorrent and like it, however the lack of a move feature prevented me from using it.

How do you run it though? If you run it in a terminal, won't it stop if the gui dies? do you do this maybe:

ctrl + alt + f1, then run rtorrent, then ctrl + alt + f7 (to get back to GUI)?

urukrama
March 20th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I've tried Azureus, but found it too heavy on resources and too buggy. So I've generally used Bittornado and the gnome Bittorrent client. I've used Opera's built-in torrent client occasionally (as it is my main browser), but it isn't that great.

However, after hearing all the praise for Deluge, I'm trying that out now. Installing it as I write.

I just looked at it on synaptic to see if it's worth it. In my opinion it's not worth it for non KDE users. ktorrent plus all of the dependencies it needs is 75 megabytes. 75 megabytes for a torrent client? Not for me.

Deluge uses about the same, actually. The dependencies take up about 60 MB. (I had to install practically all of them, as I didn't have them already).

Sammi
March 21st, 2007, 12:45 AM
Yeah this has been a bit annoying for a long while, but I just tolerated it because uTorrent just has worked better.

Now here's the thing, I just experienced a sensation yesterday when I updated Wine to version 0.9.33: the flickering is gone! Woo-hoo!!! :D

Sammi
March 21st, 2007, 12:49 AM
I've tried Azureus, but found it too heavy on resources and too buggy. So I've generally used Bittornado and the gnome Bittorrent client. I've used Opera's built-in torrent client occasionally (as it is my main browser), but it isn't that great.

However, after hearing all the praise for Deluge, I'm trying that out now. Installing it as I write.

Deluge uses about the same, actually. The dependencies take up about 60 MB. (I had to install practically all of them, as I didn't have them already).
Botton line is: if you have Ubuntu then you have the GTK and Gnome libraries installed, while if you've got Kubuntu then you've got then QT and KDE libraries installed. There's both harddrive and RAM space to be saved in sticking to one just one of these. Using this sense it is better to have Deluge in plain Ubuntu and kTorrent in plain Kubuntu.

bender888
March 21st, 2007, 01:48 AM
I prefer Azureus, it's stable and fast. The only downside is it's RAM usage, at the moment it's using 94mb RAM but i've still got about 700mb free so it's ok.

Pathfinder_
March 21st, 2007, 01:50 AM
utorrent through wine. works perfectly

Leeghoofd
March 21st, 2007, 11:50 AM
Utorrent under wine, or on my windows machine which does most of the downloading anyway....

BrokeBody
April 6th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Azureus

ceelo
April 6th, 2007, 01:39 AM
uTorrent through wine. uTorrent is easily one of my favorite desktop applications.

Ench
April 6th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Azureus atm... I will switch to Deluge when its more advanced... I need some options that it doesnt have yet

RAV TUX
April 14th, 2007, 06:15 AM
I have found the simplicity of the Opera torrent client the best

:)z

yatt
April 14th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I use kTorrent. Deluge seems fine, but I currently have torrents going, and when they finish, I will probably have other half finished torrents, etc.

prizrak
April 14th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Despite me not liking it much I'm using Azureus. Simple reason is the ease of upgrade, one of two sites I grab torrents from (Top Gear episodes in case you were wondering) blocks older versions. It is definetly the best for multiple DL's in that sense. Deluge is nice but even in Feisty it is outdated and it doesn't handle "Open With" properly.

I am very much wishing for uTorrent port to Linux but....

ButteBlues
April 14th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Despite me not liking it much I'm using Azureus. Simple reason is the ease of upgrade, one of two sites I grab torrents from (Top Gear episodes in case you were wondering) blocks older versions. It is definetly the best for multiple DL's in that sense. Deluge is nice but even in Feisty it is outdated and it doesn't handle "Open With" properly.

I am very much wishing for uTorrent port to Linux but....
It works perfectly and is supported in wine...

hoagie
April 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I voted for deluge. It's a great client although it has speed problems which keeps me with azureus which I dislike. I hope these problems get fixed so I can get rid of azureus.

prizrak
April 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
It works perfectly and is supported in wine...

While it's great that it is supported in Wine, I don't exactly feel like setting up Wine and then browsing through Wine to get my torrents. I never save the actual file I just open the link with w/e client I'm using, which is why Deluge is not working out for me currently it doesn't seem to be able to add torrents like that.

eggstylin
April 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I just instaleld ubuntu a couple days ago and I've been using torrentflux since yesterday. So far it seems pretty nice. I just installed deluge which looks great, but I have to agree that it still has a little longer to go before being the 'end-all' bt client for linux. The sad thing about all this is uTorrent (and maybe azureus -- I havent touched that app for a while) is the only client I know of with a good BANDWIDTH SCHEDULER. I can't have my torrents sucking up all my bandwidth when I have stuff to do. Obviously I can limit them individually but what about when me and my roommate are asleep? Nobody is online so I want my torrents to go like crazy. So, bandwidth scheduler -- that's my feature request for any/all clients on linux. Lastly I love the idea of running headless because sometimes you need to restart gdm and I'd hate for all my torrents to come to a halt. I'll stick with torrentflux for now, but unfortunately I'm not really happy. :(

Keep up the good work zachtib! I'll be looking for further releases.

ps: if there's some way of scheduling the bandwidth limit that I dont know about, please tell. I just started using ubuntu again this week (I used it for over 6 months...in the hoary days) so I'm well qualified to be called a noob.

juxtaposed
May 6th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I'm amazed at how often this statement crops up. Everyone seems to expect Deluge to become the end-all torrent client for Linux, and I must admit, I like the sentiment.

Well, it does look promising. Though I was suprised that it wasn't possible to stop a torrent, only remove it. And it made me realise so many linux torrent clients don't have a torrent making feature.

People often praise Azureus for it's numerous features, but how many are really needed to download a file?

You might be suprised :P

I use torrents ALOT, and I like as many features as possible.

As for me, I use Azureus and sometimes uTorrent in wine. I'd love a uTorrent port to Linux :) I just trust Azureus, as so many linux clients seem to have problems with private trackers.

rub1m
May 15th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I use Azureus on Feisty with sun-java6. My laptop has only got 128MB and it is a little bit slow, but much better than using azureus + sun-java5.

earobinson
May 15th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Transmission, but I seem to change about once a month or so.

seamus7
July 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I'm sticking with Azureus 2.5.0.4 (haven't tried 3 yet).

It's wealth of options (including completion moving) just can't be beat; its stability and performance are just, well, dependable. Granted, its use of Java keeps its memory usage hovering around 100MB, but if you have at least a 1GB of ram you likely won't feel it. Sharing torrents efficiently requires a mature, sophisticated client in my experience. That's Azureus and that's why it's so popular despite its 'hogginess'.

I will switch to Deluge if it matures and offers me the same dependability as Azureus. I do like using native Gnome apps and its memory usage is wonderfully minimal. I hope it lives up to its hype.

InflammatoryWin.Apologist
July 26th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Azureus eats a little too much of my memory (or did on Windows). I always loved uTorrent, and didn't mind BittCommet (unlike most). Is Deluge my best option? What about it is worse than anything else?

RAV TUX
July 26th, 2007, 11:34 PM
This is a rather old Poll....for instance I primarily use the built in Torrent Client in the Opera browser...which is not on this list

xpod
July 26th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Still using ktorrent myself after some 6 months or so but if i could tear myself away from firefox i`d certainly use Opera.......including the torrent client mabey.

RAV TUX
July 26th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Still using ktorrent myself after some 6 months or so but if i could tear myself away from firefox i`d certainly use Opera.......including the torrent client mabey.
LOL....I have never seen it as a Firefox vs Opera debate...I see it as, I use Firefox and Opera.....they live side by side on my GNOME launcher panel.

July 26th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Is Opera notably worse than Firefox?

RAV TUX
July 26th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Is Opera notably worse than Firefox?

I am not aware of Firefox having a built in Torrent Client?

do you mean a Firefox Torrent Client extension, compared to the BitTorrent Client built into Opera?

July 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I am not aware of Firefox having a built in Torrent Client?

do you mean a Firefox Torrent Client extension, compared to the BitTorrent Client built into Opera?

Oh, no, I just meant in general. For some reason it didn't occur to me that I could just use Opera for it's client, and still use FF. Brain fart.

xpod
July 27th, 2007, 12:00 AM
LOL....I have never seen it as a Firefox vs Opera debate...I see it as, I use Firefox and Opera.....they live side by side on my GNOME launcher panel.

Sorry,I just hope it dont turn into one then:)
I`m actually using Swiftfox to be precise but i do always have Opera onboard......i generally just use the latter though.

matt_risi
July 27th, 2007, 12:03 AM
rTorrent ftw.

July 27th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Do I have to do something with the path or something to get Deluge (or anything) to work? I click to download the torrent, click that I want to download in Deluge, and nothing happens. It never winds up in Deluge. What am I doing wrong?

vishzilla
July 28th, 2007, 06:34 AM
For KDE, kTorrent
For GNOME, i would recommend Deluge, its currently hot in development and coming up good and is ideal for GNOME.

DjBones
July 28th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I used Ktorrent for the longest time, but I started using Deluge and its great! couldn't ask for more in a torrent client..

rand0m
July 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I used Ktorrent for the longest time, but I started using Deluge and its great! couldn't ask for more in a torrent client..

Ditto! I've tried Deluge before but it didn't have all the features I wanted. Now that it does I've converted from Ktorrent. I'm also a fan of utorrent but it wasn't always stable for me under wine. No worries though, deluge is just about perfect for me at the moment.

Ultra Magnus
July 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I hate bittorrent, but some times its the only place you can get stuff - azeusus stopped working so i'm using bit tornado

tomcheng76
July 29th, 2007, 01:39 PM
i just switch back from Deluge to wine + utorrent
Deluge crashes without notice when there is more than 10 running torrent...
i get Deluge from the official site...
The speed of Deluge is fast but it is unstable and lack of function
Deluge dont have Force recheck, memory cache setting and even it dont save the last download directory position..
i have some font problem in KDE application, otherwise KTorrent is also a good choice...
Azureus just keep crashing...i know how to fix it but it is already blacklisted
wine+ utorrent really works like a charm although it is not a native linux client
i will wait Deluge to improve and try it later

edu2004eu
July 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Azureus Rules. Especially the new version :D You should try it.

Luinar
July 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I currently use Deluge. I'm not a big torrenter, so I find it suits my needs fine. Worked fine straight away, too, with no need to fiddle about to get a decent speed. Azureus is a great client but is a bit too bloated and resource hoggy for my pretty simple needs. I may give rTorrent a go someday, though.

Epilonsama
July 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Wheres uTorrent?

Rutabega
July 29th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I use Deluge for my torrent needs.

uggeli
July 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
This thread is so long that I didn't read it through, just looked couple of last pages. Anyway I just wanted to ask, that have any of you heard any rumours or anything, that will Official Bittorrent client (V 6.0 which is based on utorrent) came available for linux? Beta version is allready there for windows, but I didn't notice any information about other versions of it..

Beta download page: http://www.bittorrent.com/download-beta (Windows only :( )

rand0m
July 29th, 2007, 10:26 PM
"The 6.x client can work in the following Linux/Unix configurations, although it is not supported:
It is reported to work under Linux using Cedega with some issues (blue bars in Pieces and Files tab don't work, update function fails, minimize has a slight bug) if you use "Win98" mode.
It works very well under Wine 0.9.16.
It will also work under FreeBSD 6.1 using Wine 0.9.16+, but requires the GLX module to be enabled in xorg.conf."

No mention of a native version.

Frak
July 30th, 2007, 01:59 AM

I agree.

Atomic Dog
July 30th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I use azureus. It seems best to use.

UbuWu
July 30th, 2007, 10:54 AM
FireTorrent (http://www.wyzo.com/firetorrent/) is nice as well, it integrates really well with firefox. But I still prefer Deluge.

finalcut
July 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
i went into add/remove programs and i have added the bittorrent program to my pc, but i do not know where it is located. ne help is greatly appreciated.

kelvin spratt
July 30th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I always go back to the frog they all make claims but setup correctly the frog and it just delivers consistently.

Glenn Jones
August 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Hi guys,

Good reviews and discussion about the torrents. I was just wondering if there are any command line torrents? Or can you use these torrents from the command line?

Cheers

UbuWu
August 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hi guys,

Good reviews and discussion about the torrents. I was just wondering if there are any command line torrents? Or can you use these torrents from the command line?

Cheers

rTorrent (http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/)

uggeli
August 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
No mention of a native version.

Hopefully there will be, but.. Well I can live without, it's just that utorrent is/was nice app but I prefer native version like everyone else I believe (as long as there is one). I'm now using FoxTorrent (http://www.foxtorrent.com/) for a while and will pick some client later.

orange2k
August 2nd, 2007, 10:47 PM
I`ve tried Opera built in client and it sucks - it probably gets banned a lot. Azureus eats too much memory and it couldnt even check one of my bigger torrents (about 30GB) - my verdict: it sucks. The preinstalled bit torrent client in Feisty works fine but it has no options whatsoever. I havent tried Deluge, but I will. So far Bit Tornado has proven to be my best choice - it kicks major ***...:)

finalcut
August 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
azureus:guitar:

bluenova
August 3rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Has to be Ktorrent with all the plugins installed! If it's been a while since you checked out ktorrent and you like programs like Azureus or utorrent, then you really need to give ktorrent another go. Lots of new development recently and the memory usage is incredibly low.

Alexander2007
August 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Deluge

andyho
August 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Ktorrent is currently what I'm using.. I started of with.. hell, I don't even remember it's been so long! But I've used Bittornado, Azureus, ABC, and utorrent. Azureus is and always has been a resource hog! ABC was ok.. Utorrent WAS awesome until the developer decided to go work for the RIAA or MPAA.. so if you use utorrent, you might want to find a different client! ;) I hear Deluge it good, but since Ktorrent is working fine, I'll probably just stick with it!

BrokeBody
August 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Vuze (http://www.vuze.com/) (Azureus)

Frak
August 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Vuze is even more of a resource hog than Azureus was. In fact its just a bunch of crap added onto Azureus.

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Vuze is even more of a resource hog than Azureus was. In fact its just a bunch of crap added onto Azureus.
I have never used Vuze.

Frak
September 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM
I have never used Vuze.
Here's a link: http://www.vuze.com/app

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 10:06 PM

Here's a link: http://www.vuze.com/app

I trust your evaluation and will stay clear of it. I already find Azures too bloated so adding bloat onto Azures sounds like a nightmare.

Frak
September 23rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
I trust your evaluation and will stay clear of it. I already find Azures too bloated so adding bloat onto Azures sounds like a nightmare.
They added this to it, to...
1. Make money
2. Stop Piracy
3. Help the MPAA and RIAA

And I wouldn't doubt that it works alongside DRM in Windows.

Azureus Inc. IMHO has taken a turn for the worse.

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
They added this to it, to...
1. Make money
2. Stop Piracy
3. Help the MPAA and RIAA

And I wouldn't doubt that it works alongside DRM in Windows.

Azureus Inc. IMHO has taken a turn for the worse.
I'll subscribe to the KISS theory and use the built-in bittorrent client in Opera.

Elive comes by default with transmission, but Opera is sufficient for my needs.

Frak
September 23rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
I'll subscribe to the KISS theory and use the built-in bittorrent client in Opera.

Elive comes by default with transmission, but Opera is sufficient for my needs.
Multi-Taskers are great, but they get bad when they start forgetting their own Identity...

I use Transmission and BitRocket on my Mac, great Torrent clients :)

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Multi-Taskers are great, but they get bad when they start forgetting their own Identity...

I use Transmission and BitRocket on my Mac, great Torrent clients :)Since I have Transmission by default I will have to try it.

My focus have shifted from trying multiple distros to learning e17 completely and becoming comfortable with Elive Gem 1.0

Frak
September 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Since I have Transmission by default I will have to try it.

My focus have shifted from trying multiple distros to learning e17 completely and becoming comfortable with Elive Gem 1.0
Could you post a pic of Elive Gem in one of its fine moments, I don't think I've ever seen it.

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Could you post a pic of Elive Gem in one of its fine moments, I don't think I've ever seen it.With my pleasure!

Here's one I did custom for you...

click on the image to see full size:
http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/albums/userpics/normal_EliveGem_finest_moment.png (http://cafelinux.org/OptickleArt/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0)

Frak
September 23rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
I'm gonna give that a shot, looks great. You ever tried SymphonyOS?

regomodo
September 23rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
none of them. Utorrent FTW. No other compares to me and i've tried a lot of OSS torrent clients (cli/gui)

Frak
September 23rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Have you tried KTorrent?

RAV TUX
September 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm gonna give that a shot, looks great. You ever tried SymphonyOS?

about a year ago but I wasn't impressed at the time, it may be better now?

If you recommend it, it must be great now.

Have you tried KTorrent?

are you kidding? KTorrent is the ultimate bittorrent client. Love KTorrent.

Frak
September 23rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
about a year ago but I wasn't impressed at the time, it may be better now?

If you recommend it, it must be great now.

I just like its simplicity and speed, and the beta will be out soon and I have high hopes for it.

This one right now has great artwork, but poor GUI design. The beta looks alot cleaner and professional.

are you kidding? KTorrent is the ultimate bittorrent client. Love KTorrent.

w00t

plb
September 23rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
cli - rtorrent
gui -ktorrent

anjilslaire
September 24th, 2007, 12:00 AM
ktorrent

regomodo
September 24th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Have you tried KTorrent?

yes. It's OK but i still don't like it. Some trackers don't seem to like it (i get much better speeds in other clients. Azureus is okish but is slow when implemented with other apps (i despise java for no coherent reason)). I've really tried to get along with Ktorrent for ~3months (i don't like the look of utorrent in wine plus it's not totally compatible) on my desk/lap tops but i plain don't like it.

fng
September 27th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I used azureus till now.
Just installed deluge because of this thread, and i really like it.

Rhapsody
September 27th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I'm currently still using KTorrent, but as I posted on Gaia Online recently, I've been looking more and more at Deluge as a good alternative.

With Azureus getting more bloated and commercialized with Vuze, μTorrent still closed source and now in bed with BitTorrent Inc, and the BitComet developers continuing to subscribe to 'security through obscurity', Deluge could be the new client to beat once the Windows port has had some time to mature.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I wish I had added Opera Torrent Client, which is the one I use the most.

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I wish I had added Opera Torrent Client, which is the one I use the most.
I tried to use it before, but it always either gave me terribly slow speeds, or my client was blocked.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I tried to use it before, but it always either gave me terribly slow speeds, or my client was blocked.
I found that it works better then any bloated stand alone application.

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I found that it works better then any bloated stand alone application.
How dare you talk about Azureus that way ;)

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:14 PM
How dare you talk about Azureus that way ;)
LOL, I haven't used Azureus since I used windows. If I do use a stand alone BitTorrent client I use KTorrent.

Frak
September 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM
LOL, I haven't used Azureus since I used windows. If I do use a stand alone BitTorrent client I use KTorrent.
w00t KTorrent \\:D/

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:17 PM
w00t KTorrent \\:D/

It is nice to see KTorrent is so popular (3rd place) on a GNOME based forum.

pt123
September 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I was impressed by KTorrent, but the icons are just fugly.

Faded red & green icons WTF were they thinking.

While Deluge is very slylish.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I was impressed by KTorrent, but the icons are just fugly.

Faded red & green icons WTF were they thinking.

While Deluge is very slylish.
You can change the icons in KTorrent I believe? most KDE applications are fully customizable.

fwojciec
September 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Wow - rtorrent at no.4 at the moment. That's very impressive for a CLI app that is not the easiest to configure (though not that difficult either). IMO, the combination of rtorrent and gnu screen is unbeatable, and I've tried pretty much everything on the list.

nikoPSK
September 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM
no utorrent... Use to be my favorite but now it is terrible under wine... Anyways I didn't mean to copy your thread. My idea seemed original and I didn't know one already existed.:(

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:41 PM
no utorrent... Use to be my favorite but now it is terrible under wine... Anyways I didn't mean to copy your thread. My idea seemed original and I didn't know one already existed.:(
No worries, just use advanced search before posting a thread. It is an easy mistake that we all have made.

nikoPSK
September 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I know when you finish typing the title the most related threads show up. Yours didn't so I thought no-one else had done that...:(

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 12:10 AM
I know when you finish typing the title the most related threads show up. Yours didn't so I thought no-one else had done that...:(

That feature while not perfect is usually better but it happens.

Bart_D
October 1st, 2007, 12:59 AM
Is a BitTorren Client better than a built in client with your web browser. I use Opera which has its own built-in client. Would Deluge be faster or safer than using Opera's built in client? I can disable Opera's client if I choose to do so, but I am not sure whether this would be worth it...anyone have any ideas?

I know that with Windows, Download Accelerator Plus(DAP) really sped up downloads...in compariton to when NOT using DAP.

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 01:07 AM
Is a BitTorren Client better than a built in client with your web browser. I use Opera which has its own built-in client. Would Deluge be faster or safer than using Opera's built in client? I can disable Opera's client if I choose to do so, but I am not sure whether this would be worth it...anyone have any ideas?

I know that with Windows, Download Accelerator Plus(DAP) really sped up downloads...in compariton to when NOT using DAP.Try them both and compare, I suggest KTorrent but I have never tried Deluge.

Fbot1
October 1st, 2007, 01:32 AM

I know that with Windows, Download Accelerator Plus(DAP) really sped up downloads...in compariton to when NOT using DAP.

Probably a little bit but nothing too profound. Bityrant makes a difference but you might **** some people off.

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
Probably a little bit but nothing too profound. Bityrant makes a difference but you might **** some people off.
Bityrant I haven't heard of this one?

FuturePilot
October 1st, 2007, 02:39 AM
I started using Deluge and I really like it:)

nikoPSK
October 1st, 2007, 02:43 AM
the bt client that comes with ubuntu is pretty terrible...:KS

Fbot1
October 1st, 2007, 03:06 AM
Bityrant I haven't heard of this one?

I misspelled it, it's BitTyrant

RAV TUX
October 1st, 2007, 03:07 AM
I misspelled it, it's BitTyrant

ohhh! ;)

raycosm
October 1st, 2007, 03:11 AM
I've used Azureus up until just today, when I decided to switch to Deluge because Azureus gives me errors about it not shutting down properly whenever I start it, because it ALWAYS freezes on exit and I have to kill it or restart X to make it go away. I haven't actually used Deluge yet though.

Tried Ktorrent once on Kubuntu, and it worked great, then I tried it again on Mint, and for some reason it didn't work at all. Wouldn't start downloading, and it was a pretty healthy torrent.

uTorrent is awesome and has never given me any problems, but it's for Windows and I'm not desperate enough to use it under WINE.

nikoPSK
October 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM
I've used Azureus up until just today, when I decided to switch to Deluge because Azureus gives me errors about it not shutting down properly whenever I start it, because it ALWAYS freezes on exit and I have to kill it or restart X to make it go away. I haven't actually used Deluge yet though.

Tried Ktorrent once on Kubuntu, and it worked great, then I tried it again on Mint, and for some reason it didn't work at all. Wouldn't start downloading, and it was a pretty healthy torrent.

uTorrent is awesome and has never given me any problems, but it's for Windows and I'm not desperate enough to use it under WINE.

I've tried it under wine... It looks pretty bad.. But it works! (Although they should make linux version...):)

pt123
October 3rd, 2007, 04:19 AM
You can change the icons in KTorrent I believe? most KDE applications are fully customizable.

Yeah but it is just irritating having to go through and change & also create icons.

How do you find out which icon an application uses in the top left of the title bar?

misfitpierce
October 3rd, 2007, 04:23 AM
Deluge... I'd prefer transmission if they add Encryption soon.

D-EJ915
October 3rd, 2007, 05:23 AM
I use µTorrent with Wine...it was really the only reason I kept windows for so long, then I realized since it's just an exe...anyway. Even though it's not native (and I haven't used most linux ones) I think it's the best. Does what I want it to anyway.

nikoPSK
October 3rd, 2007, 08:35 PM
I use µTorrent with Wine...it was really the only reason I kept windows for so long, then I realized since it's just an exe...anyway. Even though it's not native (and I haven't used most linux ones) I think it's the best. Does what I want it to anyway.

Hmmm, utorrent doesn't go for me in wine... :(

Shin_Gouki2501
October 3rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
µ torrent
Goes for me with wine quiet simple even ;)
and it does just good!

nikoPSK
October 3rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
... I have been having problems in wine. I'll do another (:() clean install and see if it works. don't worry. Not too much trouble:)

BoneSaw
October 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM
i have been quite pleased with deluge.

i used azureus for a while, but had too many problems with crashing.

silverpig
October 10th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I used azureus up until yesterday. Now I'm on deluge and love it so far. I haven't had any stability issues at all.

RAV TUX
October 10th, 2007, 11:36 PM
i have been quite pleased with deluge.

i used azureus for a while, but had too many problems with crashing.

I used azureus up until yesterday. Now I'm on deluge and love it so far. I haven't had any stability issues at all.

I can't get Deluge to install in Gutsy....any ideas?

Darkagentx
October 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM
utorrent with wine as well. I tried bittorrent and bittornado, but they just didn't perform as well.

capink
October 11th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I've just recently discovered rtorrent. The idea of of using a console torrent client did not appeal to me at the beginning, but I gave it a shot and it only took about 10 minutes to get comfortable. The main advantage of this client is the ability to use it with screen and detach it. So if x crashes, your torrents are sill running. On the other hand, some minor features are missing from it. The only major deficiency IMO is lack of DHT support.

1Frothy
October 11th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I'm really happy with Deluge. It has all the addons I need and downloads without any problems.

RAV TUX
October 11th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I'm really happy with Deluge. It has all the addons I need and downloads without any problems....but how do I get it to work in Gutsy?

1Frothy
October 11th, 2007, 02:03 AM
...but how do I get it to work in Gutsy?

http://download.deluge-torrent.org/index.php?dir=ubuntu/gutsy/0.5.5/&file=deluge-torrent_0.5.5-2_i386.deb
For 32Bit

or

http://download.deluge-torrent.org/index.php?dir=ubuntu/gutsy/0.5.5/&file=deluge-torrent_0.5.5-2_amd64.deb
For 64Bit!

:)

jpmontalbo
October 11th, 2007, 02:06 AM
deluge. light on the resources, has useful plugins, nice interface, and gets the job done. =D>
I used to use ktorrent, but that was when I was an active kde user. Ktorrent is also an excellent client, but I really like gnome.

wdo_will
October 11th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I love kTorrent on KDE or GNOME... and uTorrent on *******.

I just love how I downloaded the Gutsy Beta the other day in fifteen-twenty minutes via BitTorrent the other day, getting 800-850 kpbs the entire time...

RAV TUX
October 11th, 2007, 02:27 AM
http://download.deluge-torrent.org/index.php?dir=ubuntu/gutsy/0.5.5/&file=deluge-torrent_0.5.5-2_i386.deb
For 32Bit

or

http://download.deluge-torrent.org/index.php?dir=ubuntu/gutsy/0.5.5/&file=deluge-torrent_0.5.5-2_amd64.deb
For 64Bit!

:)Cool Thanks, I actually knew about that but when I tried it yesterday it didn't work.....works now, I guess I just needed an update. ;)

Frak
October 11th, 2007, 02:55 AM
I can't get Deluge to install in Gutsy....any ideas?
apt:deluge-torrent

RAV TUX
October 11th, 2007, 02:59 AM
apt:deluge-torrentI've already installed it. ;)

Frak
October 11th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I've already installed it. ;)
Well I forget to read ahead ;)

Ux64
November 30th, 2007, 07:33 PM
There have been some problems with Deluge. But there is own thread for it in Ubuntu forums and naturally in Deluge forum too.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=576473&highlight=torrent+bittorrent+deluge

I suspect that connection management etc other minor things aren't fully optimized. Those kind of small optimizations take a huge amount of work and thinking.

Deluge Development forum:
http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewforum.php?f=8

I were thinking if I should try Transmission. But I'll stick with Deluge. I used to run uTorrent with Wine, but for some reason I lost the UI and I couldn't recover it. If someone can help me with that I would really appreciate it. My own guess is that it's out side visible desktop are and even I choose to show it from uTorrent icon I can't find it. Is there any easy way to hard reset window position?

nikoPSK
November 30th, 2007, 07:40 PM
utorrent owns.

boast
November 30th, 2007, 08:37 PM
im a happy user of torrentflux-b4rt

Ux64
December 3rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
I have serious problem with uTorrent would you know the answer?

I lost UI. It's "somewhere" but I can't locate it at all. Show / Hide button doesn't help. I know how to recover windows which are lost in desktop space with Windows. But I don't know how to recover windows with Ubuntu (Gnome).

mellowd
December 3rd, 2007, 06:15 AM
rTorrent on my serer. On my main pc I used utorrent but the server does all the work now

hanzomon4
December 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Deluge and Azureus/Vuze

nikoPSK
December 3rd, 2007, 06:22 AM
your cups are a bit screwed up....

EDIT: wtf, they fixed themselves....

hanzomon4
December 3rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
Whoa!! I thought that was just a problem with my browser. Looks like I've spilled the beans, lol...

alwiap
December 3rd, 2007, 07:13 AM
was a utorrent and azureus user under windows, used deluge for a while in linux, and now have found my lifetime companion in ktorrent :)

i like the way it manages the torrents, speed was good by default, easy plugin for port forwarding, and previewing and options for torrents is the best i've used. It's worth a try.

Zoiked
December 3rd, 2007, 07:13 AM
qBittorent, Hands down!! It just works, and with a built in search engine; I was hooked. :D

Glenn1337
December 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
I like ųtorrent why wasn't that on the list?

Lostincyberspace
December 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
I like ųtorrent why wasn't that on the list?

Not available for linux maybe?

Xanatos Craven
December 3rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Not available for Linux maybe?
It is if you have WINE, in the same way that Azureus isn't "available for Linux" if you don't have any form of Java installed. It's also worth noting that uTorrent's own site says that their client is compatible with WINE (lists it next to official versions of Windows), so the author seems to consider it available for Linux and other Unix(-like) systems.

I prefer Deluge, kTorrent and uTorrent, depending what OS/DE I'm on. And I only specifically dislike Azureus.

mellowd
December 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
I'm really really suprised that the bloat of Azureus is in first place! Why would anyone wan't to run such bloat?

jseiser
December 3rd, 2007, 08:47 PM
I use Rtorrent, sits there, doesnt bother me, i dont even look at it. I download a torrent, and it adds it automaticly and deletes it when i have seeded my 1.5 ratio. The Other part that is crucial is i can force it to do only encrypted connections and that is awesome. Tried utorrent and azerues and they just dont compare.

doorknob60
December 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I use Ktorrent, but I've only tried a few.

yabbadabbadont
December 6th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I use Rtorrent, sits there, doesnt bother me, i dont even look at it. I download a torrent, and it adds it automaticly and deletes it when i have seeded my 1.5 ratio. The Other part that is crucial is i can force it to do only encrypted connections and that is awesome. Tried utorrent and azerues and they just dont compare.

Would you mind sharing your ~/.rtorrent.rc file? I've wondered how to configure it to do what you already have it doing. Let's face it, the docs are not the most descriptive either. Otherwise, it's great.

Polygon
December 6th, 2007, 07:35 AM
It is if you have WINE, in the same way that Azureus isn't "available for Linux" if you don't have any form of Java installed. It's also worth noting that uTorrent's own site says that their client is compatible with WINE (lists it next to official versions of Windows), so the author seems to consider it available for Linux and other Unix(-like) systems.

I prefer Deluge, kTorrent and uTorrent, depending what OS/DE I'm on. And I only specifically dislike Azureus.

azureus is native, utorrent is not. Utorrent requires wine to translate the windows api calls to linux ones. Azureus on the other hand is made with java, and there is a native java platform for linux. There is a difference.

m0eman
December 6th, 2007, 08:41 AM
ugh, i started using deluge after I voted in this pole (using azureus before), I think a newer version should be started, this one is getting old. I think deluge would fair much better, it has grown so fast!

sloggerkhan
December 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM
ugh, i started using deluge after I voted in this pole (using azureus before), I think a newer version should be started, this one is getting old. I think deluge would fair much better, it has grown so fast!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=632978

new thread so we can see if that many people really are still using azureus. #-o

D-EJ915
December 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM
azureus is native, utorrent is not. Utorrent requires wine to translate the windows api calls to linux ones. Azureus on the other hand is made with java, and there is a native java platform for linux. There is a difference.
That doesn't even make sense, so WINE is not a linux native program? They're the same exact thing. Nothing in Java is native, it's all run by the virtual machine so the same thing is happening; in both cases code is being translated from the actual code into something else.

ahhaha
December 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I prefer to emule. I think it's better:KS

de_valentin
December 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I like Ktorrent because it lets me search in the same window and it has all the torrentsites I need available for search, allthough there probably is an easy way to add more sites.

In windows I liked azureus the best but in ubuntu its just not the best.

But now I'm reading about deluge so maybe I'll give that a go as well

Sammi
December 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM
That doesn't even make sense, so WINE is not a linux native program? They're the same exact thing. Nothing in Java is native, it's all run by the virtual machine so the same thing is happening; in both cases code is being translated from the actual code into something else.
Translate:

Wine and Java are native, because they run directly on Linux.

uTorrent and Azureus are not native, because they run through Wine and Java.

cyclefiend2000
December 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM

ditto.

KrazyPenguin
December 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Can I change my vote???

I voted for Azureus , but after trying Deluge I would like to take back my vote.

I am very impressed at Deluge.

My downloads are faster than Azureus and not just by a little bit.

With Azureus, my downloads would get stuck at 30 kb/s. Sure it might go up to 100 - 200 kb/s for a few minutes but then back down again.

I tried configuring etc, but to no avail.

Yesterday I tried Deluge after reading some of the comments on this thread.

Let's just say " I am not disappointed" !!!

Deluge is light-weight, and maintains high download speeds.

It is also easy to configure. There are not too many options, but just enough to suite my needs. More options are available as plugins , which I haven't tired yet.

Thanks to all that recommended this great bittorrent client.

It is now my fav!!!!

;-)

Skorzen
December 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Answering again... Deluge!

Sockerdrickan
December 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Transmission wins!

shafin
December 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Got to try transmission,Deluge makes a pain out of browsing

teh'p3nsi0n3r
December 7th, 2007, 02:40 PM
deluge does the job for me :) i used to use ktorrent but the latest version kept crashing for me, i cant remember the version number, still a good client but i only recently discovered deluge when i moved over and started to use gnome. :)
ive read on some people talking about browsing issues when using deluge...i dont get these issues :confused:

n3tfury
December 7th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Thread Merge Please