PDA

View Full Version : most famous person you ever got an email from?

fuscia
March 18th, 2007, 12:40 AM
for me, it was sonya 'the black widow' thomas. she had just set a world record for eating hard boiled eggs and espn had showed highlights of her accomplishment as part of their not so great highlights, along with bloopers from other sports. i sent an email to espn complaining of their inclusion of her miraculous feat in such a collection and sent her a copy. she sent me a response thanking me for my support.

ahaslam
March 18th, 2007, 12:44 AM
You ;)

afljafa
March 18th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Prince Joe Eboh from Lagos, Nigeria.

Asked me to help transfer millions out of his country. At the time I didn`t have a bank account (which was unfortunate because I sure could have done with the money) so I couldn`t help.

:(

Rackerz
March 18th, 2007, 01:14 AM
My mother, lovely woman.

PriceChild
March 18th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Mark Shuttleworth, and not just any old emails :)

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 01:37 AM
for me, it was sonya 'the black widow' thomas. she had just set a world record for eating hard boiled eggs and espn had showed highlights of her accomplishment as part of their not so great highlights, along with bloopers from other sports. i sent an email to espn complaining of their inclusion of her miraculous feat in such a collection and sent her a copy. she sent me a response thanking me for my support.
Not exactly famous, only Mark Shuttleworth, and also Fabio Erculiani (Sabayon Linux Dev)

OokieWonderslug
March 18th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I was insulted by Devo after posting my take on one of their songs on their talkback section. They said I didn't get their music.

And the girl who played "Nova" on the original Planet of the Apes sent me an email reply once.

H.E. Pennypacker
March 18th, 2007, 02:12 AM
She's not famous, but she's the secretary of someone famous: Mark Geragos.

I am a Mark Geragos admirer.

Asked me to help transfer millions out of his country. At the time I didn`t have a bank account (which was unfortunate because I sure could have done with the money) so I couldn`t help.

LOL

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Not exactly famous, only Mark Shuttleworth, and also Fabio Erculiani (Sabayon Linux Dev)

oh I almost forgot, even more famous:

Jonathan Aquino
http://static.flickr.com/33/103105897_4e5d8799c0_o.jpg (http://www.blogger.com/profile/1497953)
The YubNub Dev.
http://yubnub.org/

jeffc313
March 18th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Bob Barker!
<3 the price is right!

rolando2424
March 18th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Myself :lol:

jdhore
March 18th, 2007, 02:48 AM
i got email from Chris Pirillo, Patrick Norton (both of former tech tv fame), Chris Villereal (ex sabayon linux dev), Cali Lewis (podcaster), Kevin Rose, Alex Albrecht and a TBS Executive

Henry Rayker
March 18th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I tried for a long time to get a reply from Stephen Hawking, but instead I got a reply from someone who filters his email asking that I stop trying =\

I guess he's not so famous, but I tried to email the officer involved in the Two Gallants show situation that happened a couple months back...but he didn't want to reply either...buuuuu

3rdalbum
March 18th, 2007, 03:03 AM
I got an e-mail from Ross Ryan, who is a singer/comedian in Australia (he had a big hit with "I Am Pegasus").

I also got an e-mail from a guy who wrote a song for Kym Marsh, former member of the UK Popstars band Hear'Say.

Kujen
March 18th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I've recently exchanged several emails with David Nevue (solo pianist. Check him out if you like that kind of music. http://www.davidnevue.com/ He offers a bunch of whole free songs to try out. I recommend The Vigil for a first song, it's what hooked me.) about ways to get his music other than cds or iTunes (I refuse to support itunes). After a few emails, he actually offered to rip his own cds at a quality I wanted. I'm going to buy all of his albums here soon becuase of it. :) I love supporting people like this.

beathan
March 18th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I tried for a long time to get a reply from Stephen Hawking, but instead I got a reply from someone who filters his email asking that I stop trying =\

I watched his nurse (and future wife, if I recall correctly) feed him lunch on a sunny day 12 years ago.

Not email, but still neat.

afljafa
March 18th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I watched his nurse (and future wife, if I recall correctly) feed him lunch on a sunny day 12 years ago.

Not email, but still neat.

I once watched Phil Collins push in front of a very long line at Disney World. I thought "******* - you might be pretty handy on the drums, but you can wait in line like the rest of us"

He laughed hysterically on the ride while I waited, waited, waited.

RAV TUX
March 18th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I also got an e-mail from God but I dare not open it...I was afraid it was SPAM.

Rotarychainsaw
March 18th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I talked on IRC with Jono Bacon. I was like OMG, the guy from planet-ubuntu!

slimdog360
March 18th, 2007, 07:14 AM

I got one from his brother, unfortunately I was in the same boat as you at the time.

K.Mandla
March 18th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Gary Gygax.

Spr0k3t
March 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM
**** Van Dyke... cause I did some software development on some hardware he was using for one of his shows. Very cool guy. Tried to trade off email with Bruce Cambell, but he told me just to talk with him on his site... Bruce is the shiz.

karellen
March 18th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I also got an e-mail from God but I dare not open it...I was afraid it was SPAM.

that was a clever one :)

weasel fierce
March 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
This will only make sense if you're a gaming geek, but Andy Chambers and Steve Perrin.

yabbadabbadont
March 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I was going to say "God", but if her standards have fallen so low as to write to RAV TUX, then I really don't feel like bragging about it... ;)

OffHand
March 18th, 2007, 09:54 AM
For me that would be Gary Hill ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Hill ), Steina Vasulka ( http://www.vasulka.org ) and I have had lunch with Dan Graham
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Graham )

:guitar:

Hishgraphics
March 18th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Neil Gaiman once replied "No worries" to an email query of mine, and Stuart Immonen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Immonen) replied with a considerably longer email.

Both emails made my day upon their respective receipts.

xyz
March 18th, 2007, 12:22 PM
please someone send me one...anyone! lol

koshatnik
March 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Shigeru Miyamoto - Nintendo were a corporate client of mine a few years ago.

Matthew Smith - Legendary spectrum programmer and creator of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy

Bruce Campbell - B Movie legend

steven8
March 18th, 2007, 01:26 PM
As soon as someone famous writes to me, I'll surely reply.

I and my friends met Mel Gibson in Pittsburgh in 1983 when he was filming Mrs. Sofle. He was drunk. It was quite neat.

argie
March 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I met Benjamin Zephaniah last week. He's a British poet. Impressive man. No emails though.

fuscia
March 18th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I was going to say "God", but if her standards have fallen so low as to write to RAV TUX, then I really don't feel like bragging about it... ;)

haha! that wasn't god. that was me. i was just messing with him. LOL!1

kanha
March 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM
India's President and great scientist
Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam
:)

yabbadabbadont
March 18th, 2007, 02:02 PM
haha! that wasn't god. that was me. i was just messing with him. LOL!1

Oh no! Now I'm gonna burn because I doubted Her...

:twisted:

daynah
March 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I didn't get an email from her, but I did get a Phone Call from Michelle Belanger (www.michellebelanger.com), author of the Psychic Vampire Codex when she was in Atlanta for DragonCon asking me if I was going to be there, and since I wasn't, if I wanted to meet somewhere.

Unfortunately, I was in Chicken Christian College Bootcamp (Berry College) and I couldn't go. If I had, I'm sure a teacher would have driven down to Atlanta, and walked me allll the way home, pulling me by my ear.

christhemonkey
March 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I was insulted by Devo after posting my take on one of their songs on their talkback section. They said I didn't get their music.

And the girl who played "Nova" on the original Planet of the Apes sent me an email reply once.

Iv met Devo! Tried to steal his cap. Good times....

As for most famous email.... probably have to be from my big brother... which isnt really that good. :(

OrangeCrate
March 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
The exiled "Queen" of Nigeria, looking for my help in obtaining her $100 million dollar inheritance. I could be wrong, but I think she would be more famous than "Prince" Joe Eboh from Lagos, Nigeria, that was posted earlier...

Lord Illidan
March 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
The exiled "Queen" of Nigeria, looking for my help in obtaining her $100 million dollar inheritance. I could be wrong, but I think she would be more famous than "Prince" Joe Eboh from Lagos, Nigeria, that was posted earlier...

Ah, you too?

OrangeCrate
March 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Ah, you too?

Well, that two-timing... She said I was the only one!

:cry:

Lord Illidan
March 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Well, that two-timing... She said I was the only one!

:cry:

That shucks..don't tell me she robbed you too? I am still waiting for my seven million dollars.

bonzodog
March 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I have gotten an Email and talked on IRC with Mark Shuttleworth, and I have also had Emails off Terry Pratchett (Famous Author), and Tom Holt, another similar Author.
I have also had emails off the main Slamd64 dev, the guy behind Zenwalk Linux (JP - and talk on IRC with him regularly), and I have also had an Email off Patrick Volkerding, the man behind Slackware Linux.

Lord Illidan
March 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I have gotten an Email and talked on IRC with Mark Shuttleworth, and I have also had Emails off Terry Pratchett (Famous Author), and Tom Holt, another similar Author.
I have also had emails off the main Slamd64 dev, the guy behind Zenwalk Linux (JP - and talk on IRC with him regularly), and I have also had an Email off Patrick Volkerding, the man behind Slackware Linux.

I used to talk with hyperion quite regularly on the forums...never talked with mark though..where does he hang out ?

PatrickMay16
March 18th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I emailed Dennis Bathory Kitsz one time, and got a response.

Dennis Bathory Kitsz is a musician who actually interviewed Bill Gates about selling software, before microsoft was big and famous. In that interview, Bill Gates actually said "there's nobody getting rich writing software".

Dennis also made a song using sounds taken from the recording of that interview; it is called "No money, lullaby for Bill".

bonzodog
March 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I used to talk with hyperion quite regularly on the forums...never talked with mark though..where does he hang out ?

Both Mark and Hyperion can be found on Freenode IRC, mark turns up at Ubuntu CC meetings on #ubuntu-meeting, and Hyperion drops in from time to time on #zenwalk.

happy-and-lost
March 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM
The lead singers from Anechoic and Four Day Hombre. Get me.

Henry Rayker
March 18th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Tommy Lee Jones apparently dresses up like a homeless person sometimes to try not to be noticed...so he tied his dog up (also all scruffed up) outside of a sandwich shop while he went in to order. A teacher of mine from high school saw the dog tied up and decided to give him part of her sandwich...Tommy Lee Jones came ranting out of the sandwich shop like a bat out of hell yelling and raving about how the dog's meals had to be prepared just so and that if he came down with something, my teacher would be receiving the bill...funny stuff.

Lux Perpetua
March 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM
The most famous would be a certain mathematician. (I won't name him.)

spinflick
March 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Father Christmas!!! :lolflag: he emails me every year, and dont tell me he doesnt exist, I wont believe you. :p

Kobalt
March 18th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Danuta Hübner, European Commissioner for Regional Policy : it was a complain after an interview I made of her...
The other famous person I know curiously didn't give their email addresses :)

dbbolton
March 18th, 2007, 10:16 PM
does tom from myspace count ?

OrangeCrate
March 18th, 2007, 10:24 PM
That shucks..don't tell me she robbed you too? I am still waiting for my seven million dollars.

No, after I helped her, in gratitude, I did get the first installment of $1 million. But, I haven't heard a word from her since. Nothing, not even an email response to my thank you card.

Hmm, now that I think of it, maybe she didn't get it, and thinks I snubbed her. I better try to find that email again, and send another response. I can't believe she needs more money, but maybe I should at least find out...

Macintosh Sauce
March 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I have, over the years, received several e-mail responses from Steve Jobs.

m.musashi
March 19th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Hey, I got an email from Microsoft (everyone say ooohhh). It seems I was violationg their licence when I tried to sell my very legal version of Office 2000 some years ago on ebay. I actually traded several emails with them as I tried to explain that it isn't illegal to sell something you bought. In the end they saw it my way and I sold it on ebay. So, technically, I fought MS and won. The best part, though, was that the Office 2000 disk was free from MS themselves. A while ago I agreed to let MS track my use of Office for their research and my payment was a copy of Office.

KyleJRM
March 19th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Sam Smith, NBA writer for the Chicago Tribune. His spelling was atrocious. Also Bill Walsh of the Washington Post (famous only in copy-editing circles).

My wife got one from Raine Maida of Our Lady Peace.

DarkN00b
March 19th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Burnie from Rooster Teeth (http://www.roosterteeth.com/home.php). RvB man!

afljafa
March 19th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I just remembered - I once got an abusive email from Richard Morrell (Smoothwall nutcase). That was a fun day for all involved.

The Grum
March 19th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Tony Bliar.

He told me why I was wrong to oppose ID cards. I didnt read the whole thing. More lies in that email than a SCO press release.

3rdalbum
March 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I also got an e-mail from David Oates, who is a researcher into Reverse Speech and maintains the following website: www.reversespeech.com

The theory is that, when people talk normally, they sometimes also talk in reverse - as in, you'd be talking normally and if you recorded it and reversed the tape, you can hear other words which mirror or contradict the forwards words.

I actually found a "reversal" in one of the clips of him talking, and he e-mailed me back to thank me for finding it. It's in "Client speaks in reverse to David".

fuscia
March 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I also got an e-mail from David Oates, who is a researcher into Reverse Speech and maintains the following website: www.reversespeech.com

The theory is that, when people talk normally, they sometimes also talk in reverse - as in, you'd be talking normally and if you recorded it and reversed the tape, you can hear other words which mirror or contradict the forwards words.

I actually found a "reversal" in one of the clips of him talking, and he e-mailed me back to thank me for finding it. It's in "Client speaks in reverse to David".

"paul is dead!"

scrooge_74
March 23rd, 2007, 05:18 AM
The mayor of my city when ik complaint about loud noise at the middle of the night from a TV station having parties on their roof. He will probably run for president next time.

dbbolton
March 23rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
"famous" must be a relative term. i haven't heard of half these people.

i don't get out much. and by much i mean at all.

crhylove
April 1st, 2007, 11:27 PM
I got an email from Maddox one time.... Pirates rule!

-grubby
December 2nd, 2007, 03:43 AM
Josh Peck, but it just was an automated email. Otherwise, I don't know

Glenn1337
December 2nd, 2007, 04:23 AM
I recieved an email from Daron Malakian, Guitarist for System of a down... i sent some fan mail and he replied to my email... i was like... happy and stuff

mellowd
December 2nd, 2007, 04:27 AM
Randy Queen, creator of Darkchylde

Lostincyberspace
December 2nd, 2007, 04:45 AM
Robert Heron and Roger Chang of DL.TV fame. It was actually about Ubuntu too. :lol:

rbprogrammer
December 2nd, 2007, 04:56 AM
lmao!! some of these people are the most obscure famous people i have ever heard of( ie bob barker, the "nova" chick from planet of the apes, .. ). the others, never heard of them. but it is fun to hear about the ones i do know :popcorn: ..

but i would have to say the same as the other people.. i got several emails from the prince and queen of nigeria .. :lolflag:

LaRoza
December 2nd, 2007, 04:57 AM
i got several emails from the prince and queen of nigeria .. :lolflag:

I got some from other foreign royal families also, and they wanted to give me money!

rbprogrammer
December 2nd, 2007, 04:59 AM
Hey, I got an email from Microsoft (everyone say ooohhh). It seems I was violationg their licence when I tried to sell my very legal version of Office 2000 some years ago on ebay. I actually traded several emails with them as I tried to explain that it isn't illegal to sell something you bought. In the end they saw it my way and I sold it on ebay. So, technically, I fought MS and won. The best part, though, was that the Office 2000 disk was free from MS themselves. A while ago I agreed to let MS track my use of Office for their research and my payment was a copy of Office.
HELLS YES! :guitar:

Lostincyberspace
December 2nd, 2007, 05:07 AM
I also got an email from a sheik (prince) of Qatar (its a small country in the middle east) My cousins lived their and my uncle worked with him, it was about the pronunciation of the name. I new someone who had been there and he insisted that I was pronouncing it wrong so I got that to shut him up. :lol:

mellowd
December 2nd, 2007, 05:12 AM
I also got an email from a sheik (prince) of Qatar (its a small country in the middle east) My cousins lived their and my uncle worked with him, it was about the pronunciation of the name. I new someone who had been there and he insisted that I was pronouncing it wrong so I got that to shut him up. :lol:

Pronounced almost like "Cuttar"

original_jamingrit
December 2nd, 2007, 06:22 AM
The most famous person I ever recieved an e-mail from: David Morgan-Mar, the creator of http://www.irregularwebcomic.net

jrusso2
December 2nd, 2007, 07:40 AM
Richard Stallman

PrimoTurbo
December 2nd, 2007, 08:48 AM
I got an email from Santa Clause one time, he wished me a good holiday season and asked that I leave some snacks for him.

popch
December 2nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Arthur C. Clarke

Mass mailing seeking support for the SETI project.

Chilli Bob
December 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
I guess it's a toss-up between Kenny Kramer and Odd Todd.

Martje_001
December 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Webmaster of http://www.binsearch.info/

cheers!

bobbocanfly
December 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Richard Stallman
Wow! Jealous at most of these geeks ones (RMS, Sabdfl). Never really spoken to any famous geeks, just folk in bands etc.

Must start emailing some geeks to see if i get replies.

The best semi famous contact with a geek was when K.Mandla linked to my blog :D

Ebuntor
December 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Dr. Andrew S. Tanenbaum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_S._Tanenbaum), the maker of MINIX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX). (MINIX is the OS Linus Torvalds used to develop the Linux kernel).
I am a student at the university where Dr. Tanenbaum works. :) I see him quite often in the hallways, he's brilliant man imo.

He's also great at giving Microsoft bashing lectures. ;)

jc87
December 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
RMS :)

He once replied to one mail i sent him, his autoreply message is pretty neat:

[This message was generated by an automated system.]

I am not on vacation, but I am at the end of a long time delay. I am
located somewhere on Earth, but as far as responding to email is concerned,
I appear to be well outside the solar system.

I would like to mail him again, but since he is a busy man i will only do it again when i had another valid reason to do so.

Tomosaur
December 2nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
I met Benjamin Zephaniah last week. He's a British poet. Impressive man. No emails though.

Yeah he's good. I went to see him at a recital in my city, but I didn't meet him. My dad has met him though.

wieman01
December 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
I saw John F. Nash once, but have never received an email from any famous person so far.

Linuxratty
December 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM
jacqueline Lichtenberg,writer of the Sime`Gen series...Also roomed with her once at Darkover (sf con.)

James Jones,hammer dulcimer builder.

helliewm
December 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
A letter from David Cameron Conservative Leader to me personally congratulating me on being elected in by-election . Along with correspondence from other famous Politician's.
Edit also emails from lots well known journalists. The BBC have sent taxi's to me, for to go into London, twice this week for interviews.

Happy_Man
December 2nd, 2007, 04:54 PM
I've actually received email from both Gabe and Tycho, of Penny Arcade fame.

m.musashi
December 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Wow! Jealous at most of these geeks ones (RMS, Sabdfl). Never really spoken to any famous geeks, just folk in bands etc.

Must start emailing some geeks to see if i get replies.

The best semi famous contact with a geek was when K.Mandla linked to my blog :D

No email, but I actually had a meeting with Sabdfl about 6-7 months ago. Shook his hand and all.

Darkhack
December 2nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
I've chatted a bit with Chris Pirillo on his website (http://live.pirillo.com). He used to host Call for Help on TechTV before it became G4 and went all to hell.

I also got an email from Alan Cox (Linux kernel developer) when I sent an email to the kernel mailing list about an issue I was having with APIC and IRQ assignments. He was a very nice and helpful guy.

I also got in an argument with Bluehost CEO, Matt Heaton, on the Bluehost forums. Bluehost is a hosting company that is growing quite rapidly and now hosts over 410,000 domains. I'd recommend them, good service and low prices... anyways (sorry to sound like an ad) I mentioned something about the technique known as "overselling". Everyone does it and it's not a bad thing. Gmail does it for example. Do you think that Google has enough storage space to support 5 gigabytes of email per user. Do you really think that Google actually allocates those 5 gigabytes and then just lets them sit empty? No! Google banks on the fact that the 5 gigabytes will attract users, but that a vast majority of them will never use it. Even if you only have 10 MB of email, people would still rather go with gmail than a service provider of 100 MB because they still have the security and the sense of not having to worry about an overflow, should it ever occur. Shared hosting companies do this too. It's because of the overselling technique that Bluehost is less than $10 for an account that would otherwise cost $100 if they actually allocated all of those resources. Everyone wins, cheap hosting, and lots of resources for those who decide to use it. A user in the forums asked about the servers and I explained how overselling works and Matt had a cow. He hates the word overselling for the obvious reason that it sounds bad; as if someone is getting ripped off. It took a while, but he finally admitted that Bluehost does in fact oversell. Everyone knew it, but it was kind of weird to see him so harsh and reluctant to admit it. Nearly every hosting company on the planet does it, so it's not a bad thing at all. It's a great technique actually. But yeah, I had a couple other people come to my defence and I did eventually win that one. :)

fuscia
December 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
i was just glancing through the thread titles and i thought "who came up with this stupi... oh...him".

Bloch
December 2nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
i was just glancing through the thread titles and i thought "who came up with this stupi... oh...him".

So he's famous too.

kevdog
December 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
I got an email on behalf of my very rich uncle whom I had never known, who lived in Africa and had left me $1,000,000 after he died! To bad I lost the email :) I wonder who ended up with all that money!

fuscia
December 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
So he's famous too.

:-s

DeadSuperHero
December 3rd, 2007, 12:10 AM
Today I got an email back from Richard Stallman, which was cool. I basically emailed him saying thank you for starting Free Software, and that I hoped HURD would be finished soon.
I also got an email back from Mark Shuttleworth's secretary, which was neat.

Toffeeapple
December 3rd, 2007, 12:12 AM
Larry Niven

I expect people may have to google him... but he's famous to me : )

Tomosaur
December 3rd, 2007, 12:54 AM
I got an email on behalf of my very rich uncle whom I had never known, who lived in Africa and had left me $1,000,000 after he died! To bad I lost the email :) I wonder who ended up with all that money!

Me!

djsroknrol
December 3rd, 2007, 02:21 AM
It wasn't an E-mail, but one Sunday a while back, at 7AM in the morning, I answered the phone without looking at the caller ID, and the guy at the other end said "Hello, is your wife in?". I said, "Yes, who is this?", and he replied "This is Billy Ray Cyrus"...I told him,"Yeah, right", to which he replied "No really, I'm Billy Ray Cyrus"...just as I got to the caller ID to see it was Billy Ray Cyrus!...

My wife is a member of the fan club, and he was inviting her to a meet and greet at a show he was doing in Las Vegas....

I couldn't believe it, so I took a picture of the caller ID box...LOL

Lostincyberspace
December 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM
Pronounced almost like "Cuttar"

You can also pronounce it like guitar only with a k sound instead of G, that was what it was saying. Unfortunately I deleted over half of my emails one time and that one was in there.:(

Lostincyberspace
December 3rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
And that I hoped HURD would be finished soon.

Yeah right.

-grubby
December 3rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
yay! I revived this thread. I demand a cookie!!!!!

dekeller
December 3rd, 2007, 03:55 AM
Bill Joy when I worked for Sun Micro.

Darryl Keller

Darkhack
December 3rd, 2007, 04:34 AM
Today I got an email back from Richard Stallman, which was cool. I basically emailed him saying thank you for starting Free Software, and that I hoped HURD would be finished soon.

Ha! What did he say about HURD? I know RMS is delusional at times, but is he still so high that believes HURD will ever be finished or usable? Does he even use it himself or is he using Li.... no excuse me, GNU/Linux?

lespaul_rentals
December 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Linus Torvalds and I wrote back and forth a couple of times. Really cool guy, smart too.

derekr44
December 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I got an email from Bill Gates and Disney, saying that if I forwarded the letter to 10 friends I would get free tickets to Disneyland.

Oh wait..........

Lostincyberspace
December 4th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Hurd has been in beta for ten + years. It will never be finished.

bruce89
December 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I think Steve Coast sweared at me once.

derekr44
December 4th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I couldn't believe it, so I took a picture of the caller ID box...LOL

Pics or shens :)

timcredible
December 4th, 2007, 08:37 PM
mark cuban

Tristam Green
December 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Email: Patty Wagstaff, record-holding Extra 300s stunt flyer. I was like...15 when I emailed her and she replied thanking me for being a fan.

Snail mail: Direct from the office of Senator John Glenn: two photographs of the astronaut, one of his 1960s NASA days, and one signed photo of his return to space in 1998. I framed the two pix, and still have the envelope in a box.

I have also received snailmail from Sally Ride and Neil Armstrong, all with signed pix.

Lostincyberspace
December 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I met John Glenn once he was real nice. Turns out hes like my grandmas cousin or something.

n3tfury
December 4th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Geoff Byrd who's the lead singer in the band The Likes Of You who were a part of the last Next Great American Band. we've emailed back and forth for several years now. link is in my sig.

n3tfury
December 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
mark cuban

no offense, but cuban is a jack***

alwiap
December 4th, 2007, 11:55 PM
mine are all not computer related :)

dave holland (bassist)
chick corea (pianist)
j.a. adanle (sport analyst)
curt shilling (MLB pitcher)

hmm.. have to think of some more :)

2cute4u
December 5th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Jimmy Carter

lisati
December 5th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I've received several from distinguished lawyers and bankers from Nigeria and other nearby countries asking for help in the transfer of funds, asking for personal details which they could have easily obtained from my website. Most stopped contacting me when I sent them a bill via PayPal. I've had others come in advising me that I'd won some lottery that I'd never entered. Oh, that's right, they were scammers!

But seriously, I've received email from the office of my local member of parliament.

Darkhack
December 5th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Although I don't consider him famous (just an idiot), I once sent an email to my US senator (Sam Brownback of Kansas) because he didn't support net neutrality. I tried to explain it to him, but you just can't get through to these moronic politicians. I swear that this guy must be getting bribes from AT&T. All of the reasons to support net neutrality, he uses as reasons not to. I just had to quote this little gem of his.

I believe that this so-called ‘network neutrality’ legislation would be anything but neutral, punishing broadband access providers for innovation and competition. In fact, it is due to the absence of heavy-handed government regulation that the Internet has grown and innovated freely and rapidly.

Innovation and competition? The telecommunications industry in the United States is already a cartel and that's the reason we have some of the worst network speeds of any industrialized nation. Without net neutrality, all the big players would be able to blackmail business. Amazon might slip some money to an ISP for them to block Barnes & Noble's website or the ISP may try to block Google unless they pay a ransom.

Of course, why listen to logic and reason when you are getting kickbacks from the telecommunications industry and it's easier to just spout some buzzwords and claim you are for a "free market"?

daimaru
December 5th, 2007, 04:58 AM

lol great reply mate, i should put this in my sig :lolflag:

mdsmedia
December 5th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I correspond regularly with Don Henley's (The Eagles) cousin. In fact I stayed with her when I visited the US in 2005.

steveneddy
December 5th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Scooter Geirisch

Xzallion
December 5th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Gary Gygax.

Ok, Thats awesome.:guitar:

Cursim
December 5th, 2007, 05:34 AM
J Micheal Strazcinsky (sp?), creator of Babylon 5.

Lostincyberspace
December 5th, 2007, 05:38 AM
J Micheal Strazcinsky (sp?), creator of Babylon 5.
Cool!

tehhaxorr
December 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Jay Culter - 2 time mr olymipa
Ronnie coleman - 9 time mr olymian

gnomeuser
December 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I've mailed back and forth with many of the big Linux developers, they aren't seriously famous in the real world but I do value the interaction. I think I'll go with Miguel de Icaza, he's probably the best known outside of the Linux world I have had lenghty email exchanges with. Miguel is a remarkably calm man, I admire him a lot for keeping his cool in the face of the presure he sees from all sides not to mention the personal attacks. I wish I was more like him to be honest.

Ionamay
December 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
The singer Voltaire. I was so happy. He'll quite happily reply to anyone who emails him.

cstudent
December 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Robin Meade of CNN emails me every weekday morning. Shhhh. Don't tell my wife.

:lolflag:

DoctorMO
December 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM
The usual geeky famous people, Stallman, Talvalds, Shuttleworth (who I once cheekerly asked for a ride back to UDS) I believe there have been a number of none geeks too but it's hard to keep count with 200 emails a day arriving in your inbox.

Vitamin-Carrot
December 5th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Peter Jackson

But im a kiwi so I guess it doesnt count

bwhite82
December 23rd, 2007, 02:35 AM
I've received an email of thanks from Garry Trudeau (Doonesbury cartoonist), thanking me for my contributions to his new book: "The Sandbox: Dispatches from Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan".

Bungo Pony
December 23rd, 2007, 03:58 AM
Buck Dharma from Blue Oyster Cult. Tried to hook up with him after a show.

ImpressMe
December 23rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
Several from Gatjonk Pli.

djsroknrol
December 23rd, 2007, 04:14 AM
Pics or shens :)
Ok....but I wiped the number for his privacy...it is still a good number for his home in KY.

uwishurockedthishxc
December 23rd, 2007, 04:20 AM
tom from plain white t's once sent me an email

vishzilla
December 23rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
Bill Gates selling ******!!! Seriously!!!

jviscosi
March 4th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Gary Gygax.

Kind of OT, but Gary Gygax passed away today.

ice60
March 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Ok, Thats awesome.:guitar:
Gary Gygax - Died March 4, 2008 :confused: EDIT i just saw the post above, i looked him up, i thought i recognised the name, but i'm not sure now.

Iam138
March 5th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Henry Rollins after I inquired about a spoken word tour. That's all unless you count the Exec. Vice Pres. of VIA corp. telling me thanks for my inquiry but he honestly had no clue what VIA stood for.

K.Mandla
March 5th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Kind of OT, but Gary Gygax passed away today.
Yeah, I saw that this thread got bumped, then saw the news story. He was a nice guy.

zmjjmz
March 5th, 2008, 05:46 AM
No e-mails, but I've been in contact with
Josh Weston (founder of ADP)
Leonard Stern (multi-billionaire, he's my great-aunt's ex-husband)
Cynthia Green (Mom, and no, not famous... but she's been on CNN...)

EXCiD3
March 5th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Most famous person: Some guy from Africa selling me cheap ****** ;)

forrestcupp
March 5th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Sandrina Nzi emailed wanting to give me a couple of million dollars if I would keep her money in my account until she came to the US.

uberlube
March 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM
1) My brother is the the lead guitarist for Angels to Ashes, we email everyday.
2) Mayor of Edmonton, AB. Stephen Mandel, but he is a douchebag and I didnt respond.

Miguel
March 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Physicist Neil W. Ashcroft and Nobel Laureate Roald Hoffmann.

sailor2001
March 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM
my great-granddaughter........

Miguel
March 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
my great-granddaughter........

Do you really have a great-granddaughter? It's great! Congratulations! I am also a lucky person for having met one of my eight great-grandparents (she passed away at 98 ), a privilege not many people have. My other privilege is having my all four grandparents alive and kicking. No, I'm not that young, I'm 26.

SZF2001
March 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM
The blue M&M from sometime back around '98 - there really wasn't any bots so you could actually write to someone who represented an M&M. Of course that's different these days.

Namtabmai
March 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Terry Jones (from Monty Python) and if it counts I've got way too many emails from Clive Jame's wife.

dgoodma
March 5th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Reggie, "Mr. October", Jackson

M$LOL
March 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I got one from a really rich professor, who comes from some country I can't pronounce, and promises me $2 million, and all I have to do to get it is send him all my credit card details!

Arkenzor
March 6th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I got one from a really rich professor, who comes from some country I can't pronounce, and promises me $2 million, and all I have to do to get it is send him all my credit card details!

How lame, I was personally contacted by the daughter of the president of Nigeria, who asked me to help her transfer a few tens of millions to a swiss bank.

But why the hell did she ask for my complete banking coordinates, including passwords? :P

UBUSNAFU
March 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I had a few from Gene Roddenberry's son. He wanted me to provide free web development for his tribute site to his late father. I had to explain to him that Star Trek is great but business is business and he really could get one of millions of fans out there to do what he wanted without contacting random companies on the web. Pretty sure he wasn't strapped for cash either.

NightwishFan
March 6th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Lateef Crowder. The greatest man alive. (Capoeira is my main fighting style)

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateef_Crowder
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB6ylODLoeE

It was about as good as getting a message from god.

Iceni
March 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
How lame, I was personally contacted by the daughter of the president of Nigeria, who asked me to help her transfer a few tens of millions to a swiss bank.

But why the hell did she ask for my complete banking coordinates, including passwords? :P

OMG SHE SAID I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!!!

Senuf
November 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Larry Niven

I expect people may have to google him... but he's famous to me : )

Whoa!

So, let me tell you (you'll know who I mean) that I got a mail from David Brin. Not mass-mailing.
In a mailing list he appeared to be needing help concerning certain software or data or whatever (as you can see I don't remember that very well) and I tried to help. The mail was outside the list, personal, and was a polite "thank you very much" and some other words concerning that particular little problem he was having. I might have that mail in some backup CD, from the time I relied solely on Windows/Outlook for my mail. Time passed and I learned better, heh!

Senuf

daverich
November 8th, 2008, 10:52 PM
erm let me see.

Eddi Reader probably..

Kind regards

Dave Rich

lukjad007
November 8th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Does the Nigerian King (who by the way need my money to get back in power) count?

bobbocanfly
November 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Noone particularly famous, but a few well known geeks: Jono Bacon (Ubuntu Community manager), Stuart Langridge (Web 2.0 guy) and Matt Revell (Launchpad developer) (If you ever listened to lugradio you'll recognise those names too. I also talked with Emma Jane Hogbin which was great, she is one of the nicest people I have ever chatted to (even if it was about distributed version control)

handy
November 8th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Ryan C. Gordon (icculus), for those who don't know him here is his resume (http://icculus.org/~icculus/resume.txt).

It was like being knighted by the lord of programming... :lolflag:

reyfer
November 9th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Deepak Chopra

Mason Whitaker
November 9th, 2008, 12:10 AM
The drummer from the Christian Band Casting Crowns. We exchanged a few email about a year ago.

NIT006.5
November 9th, 2008, 12:23 AM
... and I have also had Emails off Terry Pratchett (Famous Author)...

Terry Pratchett! I'm jealous! Love his books.

Most famous person I've had an e-mail from would be Henry Olonga (cricketer/singer) - only because I know him from school.

lukjad007
November 9th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I'm sorry to say this, but I got you all beat. LaRoza.

gloscherrybomb
November 9th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Thinus Delport for me. goooogle.....

handy
November 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM

No, I think you're in a large company m8. :)

JeffoOfMetal
November 9th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Chris Pirillo, but I suppose it's not that big, since he answers all of his email anyway...

Still cool, though.

t0p
November 9th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Will Self

steveneddy
November 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM

LOL - that was my answer.

tdrusk
November 9th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Kevin Talley of DAATH. He has also drummed for The Black Dahlia Murder, Chimaira, Dying Fetus, and misery index.

Bödvar
November 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
A porn star (really).

sanderella
November 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM

I once got a very nice email from Rav Tux.:KS

chucky chuckaluck
November 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM

meh. sonya thomas could dust our good friend in a pie eating contest with great ease.

lukjad007
November 9th, 2008, 05:31 PM
meh. sonya thomas could dust our good friend in a pie eating contest with great ease.
I may be in agreement if I knew who that is.

Frak
November 9th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Ryan C. Gordon (icculus), for those who don't know him here is his resume (http://icculus.org/~icculus/resume.txt).

It was like being knighted by the lord of programming... :lolflag:
Aye, I've gotten one through him (ioquake project) and one from Steve Wozniak back in 1999/2000 as a thanks for helping the Rhapsody beta test. I got one from Steve Jobs, sorta, but it was an automated email on my NeXT Workstation. :P

chucky chuckaluck
November 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I may be in agreement if I knew who that is.

she's a competitive eating champion. i think she's still currently the hard boiled egg, oyster a jalapeno record holder. she once placed third in the nathan's hot dog competition (she only weighs about 105lbs.)

lukjad007
November 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
she's a competitive eating champion. i think she's still currently the hard boiled egg, oyster a jalapeno record holder. she once placed third in the nathan's hot dog competition (she only weighs about 105lbs.)
Oh. I see. Well, I never could stand those things. Waste of food.

chucky chuckaluck
November 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Oh. I see. Well, I never could stand those things. Waste of food.

only in the event of a 'reversal', as they call it.

Sealbhach
November 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Bill Gates (sort of). It was to "All Employees".

Still, it's weird to see that name in your inbox.

lukjad007
November 9th, 2008, 07:26 PM
only in the event of a 'reversal', as they call it.
Well, they don't really need the food, nor do they really have any want for it, but they eat it anyway.

m.musashi
November 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM
In the past month or so I received about a dozen or more emails from Obama, Biden and even Michelle. I felt so special but then last week they kind of stopped writing. I guess they are busy now with other things.

AlphaMack
November 10th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Chuck D from Public Enemy. But that was a long time ago and we were talking about Macs (long before I converted over to Linux).