PDA

View Full Version : Why Linux is the new Amiga

karellen
March 17th, 2007, 03:29 PM
saw in in the afternoon...so check this out:
http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2007/03/17/why-linux-is-the-new-amiga/
then tell me if I'm wrong. aren't the author's conclusions far-fetched? :confused:

afljafa
March 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Garbage.

Amiga was a complete OS/Hardware platform. Linux will never go bankrupt.

karellen
March 17th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Garbage.

Amiga was a complete OS/Hardware platform. Linux will never go bankrupt.

totally agree with you

Quake
March 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Bah, Amiga was a company. Linux is more like a country where everybody does his part so Linux isn't going anywhere.

xavier_r
March 17th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Amiga might be a cult, but Linux is a whole religion now...
With OpenSource philosophy... and GNU GPL... and Macs, turning to Open Software...
Apache running on like half the server system...

Linux clearly has dominated the Unix Scene, and it might be on its way to dominate other operating systems...

I personally dont use linux because of a cult following(though there was a good feeling of being involved in something unique, when linux was new)...
But now, for building Java Applications, postGRESQL triggers, and lexical scanners, etc. etc., I "USE" Linux because it has proven to be beneficial...
Now this isnt a cult... because, if i have problems with Linux i will surely move onto a different OS...
Linux is gaining popularity because it is proving to be beneficial...

karellen
March 17th, 2007, 04:59 PM
well I believe people should USE an os, not worship it ;)...maybe that's the reason I can't understand all this cult/religion thing

Spr0k3t
March 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I'm just going to let this one go... I'd start way too much of a flame war that I would probably be banned for life from this forum.

I loved using my amiga for video editing and many people seemed to love some of the effects in Dune. I was in the thick of the Amiga in its rebirth. It wasn't a religeon, it was a curse. Only those who really used the Amiga for more than just games would understand that statement.

Oh the stories I could tell and the lives I could ruin from the information I know about the Amiga. The diehard amiga users will recognize my avatar... I haven't changed it since 87.

karellen
March 17th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm just going to let this one go... I'd start way too much of a flame war that I would probably be banned for life from this forum.

I loved using my amiga for video editing and many people seemed to love some of the effects in Dune. I was in the thick of the Amiga in its rebirth. It wasn't a religeon, it was a curse. Only those who really used the Amiga for more than just games would understand that statement.

Oh the stories I could tell and the lives I could ruin from the information I know about the Amiga. The diehard amiga users will recognize my avatar... I haven't changed it since 87.
nice :). in 87 I was 4 years old :D

jmc1024
March 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM
<snip>

Kind of the way I felt (feel?) about OS/2...

Spr0k3t
March 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM
nice :). in 87 I was 4 years old :D

So it's conclusive: you never had a chance to really use the amiga prior to learning something else. You could probably count on one hand the number of times you used the shell/terminal.

But I digress... I'm going to stop... I'm going to stop, I'm going to stop, I'm going to stop.

Docter
March 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM
hey sprok3t.. I installed ubuntu a couple of weeks ago and was instantly transported back to my A1200T060/66 128MB PIV beast of a machine. XP is now gone... completely.

I was, and in many ways still am an Amigan.

hardyn
March 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM

karellen
March 17th, 2007, 06:29 PM
in the final paragraphs of the aforementioned article he seems a linux supporter....odd, anyway

Somenoob
March 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM
lol, there are no similarities, amiga is an importable OS and hardware platform.

Trebuchet
March 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Garbage.

Amiga was a complete OS/Hardware platform. Linux will never go bankrupt.He never said anything about Linux going bankrupt. What he was implying was that Linux users are as devoted to Linux as Amiga users (of which the author was one) were to Amiga. His conclusion was:

"But with Linux being open source, and its future and fortunes not tied to one entity, but to thousands and thousands of Linux users and developers, Microsoft will always have real competition. Which, I think, we can all agree is absolutely vital.

The Amiga is dead. Long live Linux."

This article was in no way, shape, or form critical of Linux. He obviously admires the devotion Linux users have for their OS; something few if any Windows users have. Some people simply can't seem to accept that anyone who doesn't proclaim Linux as the Second Coming isn't anti-Linux.

kogz
April 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Check out AROS (http://aros.sourceforge.net/). It's something between AmigaOS and Linux.

tadcan
April 5th, 2008, 01:26 PM
This http://web.syllable.org/pages/about.html is based off AthOS which came from the Amiga

jomiolto
April 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Didn't anyone else notice this: http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2008/01/29/how-the-asus-eeepc-showed-me-i-was-wrong-about-linux/ :)

And I don't know about the conspiracy stuff, but Amiga users were only smug because they knew that Amiga was the superior computer at that time ;) (seriously, the multitasking, the graphics and the sounds -- they were all incredible for a computer from the 80's. In many ways the AmigaOS was better than even Windows 3.1, that came several years later)

hazica
April 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Comparing Amiga with Linux seems to me like comparing apples with pears.

Amiga and it's users could probably be compared to modern day Mac users. Linux is different since it can basically run on any hardware platform, while the other two are/were complete hardware + software packages.

Also, you don't have to buy Linux; you can use almost any piece of functional hardware lying around, even if it's ten or more years old and install some Linux distro on it. Which means you're getting a functional hardware + software kit virtually for free. You can also get your hands dirty by using Linux, since you have access to the source code, and tailor the OS according to your very own needs and expectations. One cannot think of Linux without considering its "open-source-iness" and it's zero-cost aspect, two things Amiga was lacking.

Given the quite different natures of Amiga and Linux, I do think that the comparison is inappropriate, probably stemming from one of the author's trips down Memory Lane.

heartburnkid
April 5th, 2008, 05:27 PM
So basically, this article is saying that Linux, like Amiga OS, has cultivated a small, devoted, sometimes a little too smug for their own good cult of devoted techies?

Well, he is absolutely correct there. The same thing could be said for Mac, of course, if we replace "techies" with "trendies".

Fortunately, there won't be any horrible business decisions that will kill Linux like the ones that killed Amiga and almost killed Mac. Mostly because no one person or company dictates the path of Linux.

Joeb454
April 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Why're we reviving a year old thread? =/

Ioky
April 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I do agree that Linux is kind of like a religion if you use the sense as Though of believe, And yes, there are many people believe that the world should be like Linux while every one share their part. Indeed that is a good thing. But use the word worship seem a bit too much. Imagine how funny this can be if you are saying " Some one worshipping garble warming" (Yes, it is kind of a religion too because when you think about it, many of you really know what cause garble warming, and what effect it will give you. Even Scientist don't think they know final result about it. And people just believe they way they are.)

BuffaloX
April 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
The Amiga died because Commodore died.
I believe the Amiga could easily have been profitable, but commodore wanted to be serious, and tried to push Amiga as a business machine. When in fact it was the perfect hobbyist/creativity/gaming machine.

The mentallity shift was obvious already with the much less exciting A-2000.
Which looked like a PC, bulky/ugly/noisy...
A-1000 and A-500 were sweet, and the only true Amiga computers.

At the same time, commodore tried to be a PC builder, with underpowered overpriced systems of poor design.

The Amiga died because the company Commodore killed it.

Linux can never die that way, because no company owns it.