PDA

View Full Version : Ever been accused of plagiarism?

~LoKe
March 17th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I've always been a student who basically lays low, not being head of the class or anything like that. I **** around with my friends during class, generally misbehave and get into **** a lot of the time. But when it comes to essays and other written works, I do well. When I moved up here to London, I started at a new High School. My favorite class was by far my English class, and when exam time came, we had to do an essay. It was on a book most of you have read in the 9th grade or earlier, but for some reason we were reading it in the 12th. Anyways, we had to compare it to something else, or find more meaning in the book. This is what I wrote (big read, but I wrote it all right now since all I have is the printout, so you better read it):

Lord of the Sheep

In The Lord of the Flies, vague commonalities can be seen with "The Lord of the Sheep", who is the shepherd in The Book of Enoch. The "Lord of the Sheep" promises to lead his people out of Egypt and into the Promised Land. Eventually many of the sheep become blinded and disobedient, much like the children in The Lord of the Flies.

In the beginning, the book tells of a crash which has landed many young English boys on an otherwise deserted island. The first boy that's introduced is Ralph, who is later seen as one of the stronger boys. From the start, Ralph shows obvious signs of leadership, which if first seen when he takes another on as his charge, Piggy. Piggy is unable to stand up for himself; he's the kid who's always relentlessly picked on and made fun of. Despite being disliked by the more popular boys, Piggy still holds his morals and ethics high, which makes him a great person and a potential "side-kick". However, these qualities do not always go hand-in-hand with leadership, thus he is left following the rule of Ralph who is depicted as the shepherd. The two boys summon others to their location for a meeting. Immediately, Ralph assumes leadership over these boys of which Piggy looks after. Then the novel presents a new character, the pacifist Simon. Later in the book, it is shown that Simon is symbolic for Jesus himself, who would be the true shepherd, though it is done very vaguely and is negligible in turn. Simon shows no signs of leadership nor does he posses the qualities required to lead. He is said to be the most innocent and humanly good of all boys; showing no sign of violence or mal-intent. Being a pacifist by nature, Simon becomes another follower of Ralph's. The last notable character shown to the reader would undoubtedly have to be Jack Merridew. It is explained that Jack had been the leader of the choir from the school of which he came. He brings his 'battalion' to the meeting place where Ralph and the others have gathered. At first, Jack allows Ralph to rule over their new sort of tribe by means of vote, showing early signs of democracy, which is surpring to see in children. They believe that Ralph will lead them to being rescued and having fun in the process. This pipe dream does not last long.

Soon, Jack beings to feel that he should be the one to lead the tribe, for he is the stronger, more dominant figure. In totalitarian fashion, Jack soon disputes with Ralph and seizes power for himself. He feels that the tribe is not capable enough to choose a leader by means of democracy. This feud between Jack and Ralph causes the tribe to split apart; Jack with his hunters and Ralph with the rest; Piggy, Simon and the 'littluns'. Thus, the Lord of the Sheep has lost its herd. "And sometimes their eyes were opened, and sometimes blinded, till another sheep arose and led them and brought them all back, and their eyes were opened." (LXXXIX. 51.67. The Two Kingdoms of Israel and Judah, to the Destruction of Jerusalem.) Eventually, Jack's tribe kills and cooks a wild boar that was lurking in the forest. For the slaying, Jack uses a knife which is symbolic of the staff that the Lord of the Sheep uses to smite the earth. This 'staff' is a symbol of power and lordship over the tribe, or, rather, the herd. "And I saw till the Lord of the sheep came unto them and took in His hand the staff of His wrath.. (XC. 20-27. Judgment of the Fallen Angels, the Shepherds, and the Apostates.) Ralph and the others go to the meet up with Jack and his new fortress deemed 'Castle Rock'. Here they find boys with painted faces dancing around the fire that they're using to cook the boar. Ralph and the others, excluding Simon, join in on the dance and re-enactment of the hunt.

The boys of the island are presented with an unexplained fear of the 'beasty'; a monster said to live in the forest and hide in the sea during the day. This fear drives some of the boys to a degree of insanity, causing them to attack anything that could be the beast. This causes more problems amongst the herd and leads them to take considerably ludicrous action. simon is off in the forest exploring when he comes across the 'sow's head' where the flies father, Simon observes it from a trance state. The sow's head becomes the Lord of the Flies, and tells a hallucinatory Simon that the beast on the island actually resides inside the boys. "Fancy you thinking the Beast was something you could hunt and kill. You knew didn't you? I'm part of you," said the head. (p143. The Lord of the Flies.) "And he called another, and said to him: 'Observe and see everything that these shepherds do against these sheep, for they will destroy from among them, more than I have commanded them.'" (89.61. The Book of Enoch.) This is where it is found that the real Lord of the Sheep may very well be the sow's head. It's ironic how the thing that guides them is actually what has been causing all of the death and destruction and yet it is intangible, and, in fact, immortal. Simon runs back to the camp to share his new found knowledge with the others, who, ironically, assume he's possessed by the beasty. This, coupled with their misdirected anger, causes them to attack and kill Simon. The only truly innocent and loyal figure on the island, washes away in the sea with the glowing fish. "And write down all the excess and destruction, which is wrought by the shepherds, how many they destroy at my command, and how many they destroy of their own volition; write down against each shepherd, individually, all that he destroys." (89.62. The Book of Enoch.)

It is shown that Ralph isn't the real Lord of the Sheep, but it was in fact the sow's head. Even though it wasn't the real source of evil, the sow's head holds control and dominance over all the children of the island by exploiting their inner-evil, their savage instinct to fear the unknown. "And I saw till the Lord of the Sheep came unto them in wrath, and all who saw Him fled, and they fell into His shadow from before His face." (XC. 20-27. Judgment of the Fallen Angels, the Shepherds, and the Apostates.)

He took me aside and started talking about plagiarism, I just couldn't help but laugh the whole time. I told him to keep it and look around and see if he could find any evidence of that.

I got a 4.

So, have you ever been accused of plagiarism? Were you guilty?

karellen
March 17th, 2007, 09:01 AM
accusation of plagiarism without evidence to support it means nothing. or at least it should

23meg
March 17th, 2007, 09:07 AM
So, have you ever been accused of plagiarism? Were you guilty?

No, but my writing was once plagiarised. A daily paper virtually ripped off four (out of six) paragraphs from an article I wrote for a website, without even citing a source. It feels bad.