PDA

View Full Version : OMG - Is Edgy Eft the best yet or what?

jerrek71
March 17th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Woah!
OK, so I know I am preaching to converted but I have no idea where else to write this...

I used Ubuntu a couple of years back (and it was good then too) before Dapper was released, but I just installed Edgy Eft on my laptop.

It recognised my display was 1400x900 (which no other distro I've used has done) on my laptop.
It properly recognised my sound card and I had sounds straight away (which no other distro has done without me editing hotplug.blacklist).
It has REAL nice fonts straight off the bat
The theme is gorgeous
The install could not possibly be any simpler unless one of the Devs came and did it for me while I slept.
It recognised my Windows XP install and setup dual boot for me with no intervention at all
It has Firefox 2 (one of the reasons I've switched back to Ubuntu from CentOS was because most of the apps on CentOS are a bit old - great for a server, bad for a desktop)

Where do I send a donation?!? This release of Ubuntu is just outstanding.

:guitar:

FuturePilot
March 17th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Indeed Edgy is great. I finally got it installed and running stably on my laptop. I tried it before and it seemed buggy, but now it's great. But just wait until Feisty comes out. This one will knock your socks off:lolflag:

maniacmusician
March 17th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Woah!
OK, so I know I am preaching to converted but I have no idea where else to write this...

I used Ubuntu a couple of years back (and it was good then too) before Dapper was released, but I just installed Edgy Eft on my laptop.

It recognised my display was 1400x900 (which no other distro I've used has done) on my laptop.
It properly recognised my sound card and I had sounds straight away (which no other distro has done without me editing hotplug.blacklist).
The theme is gorgeous
The install could not possibly be any simpler unless one of the Devs came and did it for me while I slept.
It recognised my Windows XP install and setup dual boot for me with no intervention at all
It has Firefox 2 (one of the reasons I've switched back to Ubuntu from CentOS was because most of the apps on CentOS are a bit old - great for a server, bad for a desktop)

pfft, just hold on tight for Feisty Fawn. Coming in April.

Spr0k3t
March 17th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Oh man... wait till Fiesty is final... it only gets better.

jerrek71
March 17th, 2007, 06:43 AM
pfft, just hold on tight for Feisty Fawn. Coming in April.

That's just my luck - install a version that's just about to be updated ;-)

Though if memory serves me correctly, Ubuntu will update from one release to the next quite easily?

terrysalmi
March 17th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Though if memory serves me correctly, Ubuntu will update from one release to the next quite easily?

With a 6 month release cycle, that's due to happen....

Quillz
March 17th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Woah!

The theme is gorgeous

I had some troubles with 6.10. For starters, the Live CD was garbage. It never worked for me, no matter how I tried it. Also, on my laptop, the native resolution of 1440x900 didn't work unless I had 915resolution running at all times. However, all of these issues have been solved with Feisty (7.04.) For me, this is by far the best Ubuntu release yet. It leaves 6.10 in the dust.

SishGupta
March 17th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Amen on feisty. It really is going to be such an amazing release imo.

ButteBlues
March 17th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Absolutely.

It'll update straight through the update-manager, or you can use CLI + apt-get (whichever you're more comfortable with - they're the same thing in different form).

Polygon
March 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
the "gksudo update-manager -c" or whatever command worked fine.... except for the fact that i was like downloading at 1 kb/s and when i finally restarted, i got random errors about xorg and fsck......

i hope it goes more smoothly

karellen
March 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM
yes, I find edgy great too. I like it a lot and I thing it's the best distro I've ever used :). It will stay on my pc for long time (well until feisty comes out and proves it's stable :D)

Kateikyoushi
March 17th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I tried feisty (the next release) on 4 vaios and all worked out of the box excep for widescreen even wireless could be used from the livecd.
Do that with windows. ;)

ssam
March 17th, 2007, 11:15 AM

to donate to ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

or you might want to donate to an upstream project

http://www.gnome.org/friends/
https://www.fsf.org/donate/
etc

if you find a project's web site they often have a donation link

daynah
March 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Guys, Edgy ate my wireless. :( It just hated it. I don't know how or why (I'm your target demographic "average user who just wants it to work") so I can't tell you what broke between Dapper and Edgy but... Does Fiesty use the same wireless system as Edgy?

Adamant1988
March 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Feisty>Dapper>Edgy