PDA

View Full Version : Dear Newegg

alabaster-cain
June 1st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Hello,

I had noticed a while ago that you NewEgg had rebuilt its website. Yeah, cool - however I can no longer login and make purchases with the Firefox browser. IExplorer has only been ever been run on my machine on rare occassions, and, since I've been using Linux for a couple years, it's only on my box through an emulator (wine).

I was able to make a purchase on your site this morning using the emulated Internet Explorer browser.

By building a website that appears broken to other browsers you are alienating a large and ever-growing population of potential and repeat customers. As well you are aligning your company with a dying beast - Microsoft and its proprietary software. There is a terrific amount of supporting documentation easily available through newsgroups, news sources, forums, and other web sources that detail how building an ecommerce site on such an architecture is not in your best interest. Actively choosing to build your web presence in this way, under the circumstances, says a lot to OSS users, Linux users, and Windows users of other web browsers.

Please see the attached documents as proof of my purchase. Running Internet Explorer through Wine has been useful today, however, the program could not print. I had to save the order process with screenshots and a .ps file that I can print. So, overall, while I have always had a pleasurable enough experience browsing and shopping on NewEgg.com, today's experience has been an all together different.

Regards,

alabaster-cain
my hometown

tread
June 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM
That is a pity .. I had good experience with Newegg before. Did you send this in to them too? You should.

alabaster-cain
June 1st, 2005, 04:19 PM
That is a pity .. I had good experience with Newegg before. Did you send this in to them too? You should.

Of course.

jdodson
June 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM
hmmmm. at what point did the proccess crap out? i am using firefox 1.02(default hoary) and it worked up to the point where i had to log in to checkout my order. did your purchase die after that point?

you can use the user agent switcher as a "hack" to get around IE only sites. then again i have only found a few IE only sites and they are usually nitch sites.

i had a problem with newegg awhile ago, the entire page would not load on firefox. i emailed them a particularly nasty letter, and it seemed to get cleared up in a week or so. not sure if they changed cause i emailed or what, but at least you can view it now. its a start i guess. however, its not excuse, if they want to make as much money as possible, serving all browsers would aid that mission.

somuchfortheafter
June 1st, 2005, 10:52 PM
hmm i just placed an order in hoary with firefox default, and an order on my other machine with the latest firefox, perhaps the problem is on yoru end?

poofyhairguy
June 1st, 2005, 11:33 PM
I buy from newegg a lot. If this is actually a problem I will:

A. find out soon as I need a Serial ATA adaptor

B. cry

Davepet
June 2nd, 2005, 06:49 AM
The newegg site worked fine for me 2 weeks ago using Warty & FF 1.0.

Dave