PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at THIS 3D desktop

dr_d12
March 16th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I came across this link today while looking for a way to spring-load toolbars in Scribus. I've never seen this type of desktop before. A hybrid between this and windows-based organization would be very useful I think - coupled with multiple desktops in Linux ...

http://www.tjeerdoo.com/2007/03/14/3d-desktop/

Dave

RussianVodka
March 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Looks annoying at best. Beryl's 3d desktop is way better.

ljpm
March 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
THAT IS SO COOOL.

I want it.

Kinda makes me proud of my alma mata.

tigerpants
March 16th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Nice as a gimmick, but that's all it is. There is no way that that is ever going to make someone's work more productive or efficient. Unless it involves manipulating 3D representations of PDF's on a computer. :)

Is it a joke?

Sunflower1970
March 16th, 2007, 04:25 PM
It looked cool...but so not for me. My real desk is always a mess, and I can guarantee that my virtual desk would then be a mess. I'd never find anything on my computer at all!

Brunellus
March 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM
THAT IS SO COOOL.

I want it.

Kinda makes me proud of my alma mata.

I don't want it. Seems interesting, but of limited use. Then again, I grew up on command lines and find manipulatnig files with the shell often faster and more efficient than the GUI.

DISCLAIMER: my own alma mater still had public inkwells in the university library, which might explain my rather conservative UI instincts.

use a name
March 16th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Looks great, but usable?

jseiser
March 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM
it seems like they left out the fact people use their computers to get rid of huge piles of messy documents laying all around their desk. It seems neat, as a gimmick and proof of concept thing. I don't see a use for it personally.

DoctorMO
March 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I agree, I mean could you see a programmer developing something like openoffice of his desktop with .c files migled with .h files and pixmaps in a cosy pile of 3D wedges. no it's donkey because it removes one of the useful features of the normal directory based file management where you computer has a structure of files and can programaticly work within that structure.

How is anyone supposed to run ./configure make if make doesn't even know where the build 'pile' is on the desktop?

What this might be useful for is virtual directories, the files are in this pile; but not really.

Brunellus
March 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I agree, I mean could you see a programmer developing something like openoffice of his desktop with .c files migled with .h files and pixmaps in a cosy pile of 3D wedges. no it's donkey because it removes one of the useful features of the normal directory based file management where you computer has a structure of files and can programaticly work within that structure.

How is anyone supposed to run ./configure make if make doesn't even know where the build 'pile' is on the desktop?

What this might be useful for is virtual directories, the files are in this pile; but not really.
a GUI is only a representation of what's underneath. Presumably, all those piles remain as disparate, separate files on a desktop directory.

Kateikyoushi
March 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
It would work wonders for me, I do not have anything on my desktop and I do not see it longer than few seconds till the first window loads, never really found good use for ddesktop when you can use xbindkeys.
3D desktop is really not yet find a way to make me more productible, probably this is the worst because you will end up throwing stuff and piling instead of work.

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM
not very useful to me. I prefer the classic desktop/folder structure. I don't even use beryl/aixgl as I find them eye-candy and nice gimmick but not particulary an improvement for me.

ComplexNumber
March 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM
looks too gimmicky for my liking.

ghandi69_
March 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I'll have to agree with most of the other posters... looks... "kinda" cool.. but completely useless.

ComplexNumber
March 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
looks too gimmicky for my liking. i'll stick to a regular 2D gnome desktop.

seijuro
March 16th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I agree it's awesome as a proof of concept might even show some usefulness in some areas (educational software maybe? professional artist that might like a more traditional feel do their desktop?) but I don't think it would make a very good every day desktop solution.

steveneddy
March 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I like it and don't like it at the same time. If this were a view from, say, inside a folder and you could have a more traditional desktop outside of that room, then that may make this more workable.

I think that a combination or this and traditional desktop would be cool, or make it an option for a folder view to have this style of GUI.

The way that 3D desktops are flying around nowadays, it it entirely possible that desktops and folder options like these will not only be attainable, but be very much the norm.

I think that Beryl is cool, but some things about it are becoming out dated for me. I rarely turn it on anymore, and that's only when I'm surfing at a coffee shop or some other public facility where I want to show off a little.

-SE

hanzomon4
March 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I've seen this before and I don't, lowfat seems like the best combination of this and a traditional desktop

Najand
March 16th, 2007, 07:06 PM
BTW, What is its name?

Zuuswa
March 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Yes this looks very gimmicky, but I would still love to play with it a little. It looks like fun, but in no way productive. I saw the video a while back, and if I remember corectly it was being developed for windows vista.

QUASAR_FREAK
March 16th, 2007, 07:15 PM
BTW, What is its name?

bumptop

floke
March 16th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I've seen this before and I don't, lowfat seems like the best combination of this and a traditional desktop

Absolutely. Lowfat looks very good indeed, This looks annoying and unproductive. It doesn't even have the sexiness of Beryl. All this effort and what's the point?

dr_d12
March 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'm imagining a folder with piles of source documents - tiffs and text - in little piles - chosen to be placed into a Scribus pagelayout. I open the folder (laying somewhere on the desktop in piles of my choosing) and I can see the group of files that I pre-selected to go into page 1 or Figure 1, etc. I already do something similar with thumbnail views - selecting control3a.tiff and setting it away (from the other image thumbnails from the same experiment) and next to treated4c.tiff and treated5.tiff before actually placing them into Scribus or Indesign to make a figure.

It would have to be coupled with window folders or the desktop would be a useless mess.

Do you use your 2D desktop for anything other than displaying a picture and a link to home?

- D

prizrak
March 16th, 2007, 07:23 PM
How many times is this gonna be posted?

Tomosaur
March 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I've seen this before, I think it looks very cool, and it has some very interesting features. That being said, I think many people would just find it pretty annoying after the novelty effect had worn off.

rolando2424
March 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I had already watched it once :D

I don't know if it would raise my produtivity... And for Eye-Candy, Beryl does just fine for me.

fuscia
March 16th, 2007, 09:57 PM
might make a good cat toy.

Choad
March 16th, 2007, 10:07 PM
that is like going full circle... we used to have desktops with paper all over them... then we built computers to be more efficient... now we are building a pretend oldskool desktop that is less efficient that a physical desktop

beyond useless :p

Somenoob
March 16th, 2007, 10:10 PM
That looked useless. He never said anything about showing the file names of documents. And a traditional GUI file manager looks less messy and more organized. And who needs a realistic environment for computer files?

If I wanted to indicated importance of a specific document I would just make it bigger with nautilus.

Bloodfen Razormaw
March 16th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Not a good design. Computers should leave behind the inefficiencies of physical desktops and file management. They exist to make our lives easier, not imitate the same problems we already have. It's the same reason GNOME's regression to spatial file management failed so badly. People who want the problems of having to manage their data as real objects can just use real objects and not bother with a computer, while the rest of us enjoy the 21st century.

adam0509
March 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM
This could be good for linux desktops, the 3rd button is often not use either on gnome/kde/Xfce...

Choad
March 16th, 2007, 10:23 PM
3rd button? you mean middle click?

its used everywhere

paste selected text, send window to back. what more could you want?

also cube-ifies beryl

hardyn
March 16th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I didn't see a download link on that move page... what OS is that for? where can i download...

I don't think i would use it for very long... i would like to play with it for an hour or so.

Trebuchet
March 16th, 2007, 11:07 PM
It looks interesting, but I think I'd want to actually try it before I decided if it's worthwhile or not. I seldom work with more than a couple files or webpages at once, so it might be more useful for some people than I suspect it would be for me.

I do like it as a fine example of thinking outside the box. Whatever else it may be, you can't accuse it of being the same old stuff.

Bloodfen Razormaw
March 16th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Whatever else it may be, you can't accuse it of being the same old stuff.
Seeing as how this is explicitly imitating what people have been doing on their desks in real life for ages, I think you very easily could accuse it of being the same old stuff. Very, very old stuff. Predating computers old.

Trebuchet
March 16th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Touché! #-o

rok3
March 16th, 2007, 11:44 PM
While it is an interesting approach to organization of a graphical user space it seems to me that they have made simple file interactions slightly more complicated and chaotic. This is actually a positive for many computer users. You average person doesn't want to think about naming conventions, organizing folders, creating logical storage schemes... in short thinking like a machine. My girlfriend throws all her photos on the small shelf above her paint supplies, her bills go on the right side of the desk, etc. She loved this demo because she wants to interact with her computer like she does her desk... it's what she is comfortable with. I on the other hand love my folders, outlines, and file trees and this kind of desktop would drive me out of my mind.

CLI FTW!:twisted: