PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Counter

darrenm
March 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I think to make proprietary software vendors and hardware manufacturers take notice of Ubuntu and the Linux community we really need an Ubuntu counter. Just something that makes a randomly generated individual code on each install which then will talk back to a server once to increment a counter. I personally think there are a lot more Ubuntu installs out there than anyone thinks and to have some evidence to show just how big the community actually is would really help.

What do you think? Should something like this be included by default? Would you be happy with it? Any reasons why not?

Kobalt
March 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I would not support an automatic counter project, or something similar. I'd rather have a strongly recommended counter (as it already exists, see my signature) YET a voluntary one.

glotz
March 16th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I personally would have no objection against an automated counter but I expect a lot of people would. On the other hand I agree it is pretty important and that I've been too lazy to go thru the manual racket. I think I represent a pretty big slice of ubuntu users in this respect.

JReagan1990
March 16th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with it. I am guessing that you are talking about one like the folks down at fedora did a few weeks ago?

darrenm
March 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Yes but a little more specific than that. They counted downloads. If Ubuntu were to count individual installs which have ever accessed the internet it should be a very accurate (albeit conservative) representation of how large the user base actually is.