PDA

View Full Version : your favourite: yahoo mail/gmail

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 08:14 AM
what do you use more/what is your favourite web based mail?
I use both of them, gmail seems a little faster, their spam filter is better and I love that it supports pop3 so I can check my inbox via evolution/thunderbird/outlook etc. on the other side yahoo mail appears to be better integrated into the whole yahoo environment...even it the new beta interface is somehow slow...what do you think?

RAV TUX
March 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
what do you use more/what is your favourite web based mail?
I use both of them, gmail seems a little faster, their spam filter is better and I love that it supports pop3 so I can check my inbox via evolution/thunderbird/outlook etc. on the other side yahoo mail appears to be better integrated into the whole yahoo environment...even it the new beta interface is somehow slow...what do you think?

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.partner=vz-acs&.done=http%3a//verizon.yahoo.com

verizon/yahoo premium

much better then gmail,...I get zero spam....but I use a premium account,....not the common free account....

my Yahoo e-mail is:

jozef@cafeubuntu.com

Quillz
March 16th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I prefer GMail.

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 08:24 AM
https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.partner=vz-acs&.done=http%3a//verizon.yahoo.com

verizon/yahoo premium

much better then gmail,...I get zero spam....but I use a premium account,....not the common free account....

my Yahoo e-mail is:

jozef@cafeubuntu.com

:) yes, I know about the premium account, but I was comparing the free versions of the services, as gmail it is offered at no cost ;)

adam.tropics
March 16th, 2007, 08:36 AM
At last, something in Aussie tech that's right up there! We seem to get all the Yahoo mail premium stuff for free. At least, I retrieve my mail with Thunderbird, have the 2gb space, have Spamguard etc etc. Rav Tux is right too, in that I get no spam, and the account has been active for quite a while now. That said, I am a vain soul, and in all honesty, the only reason I ditched my gmail is because all of a sudden everyone 'had' to have a gmail account!

SlayerMan
March 16th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Actually, I use GMX-Mail.

Mindspin85
March 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Been using Gmail since launch and I still like it

wilford
March 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I prefer gmail. But I use my yahoo more often since all my contacts email me there.

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 12:50 PM
my main e-mail accounts are on gmail and yahoo, so I try to be as equidistant as I can be :)

SishGupta
March 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM
i have a yahoo premium and i hate it.

i will always use gmail

eilu
March 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I prefer gmail to yahoo. My yahoo is a spam-magnet (i.e., I think their filter stinks). I like gmail's look better- it's simple, plus it just works, period. Any of my contacts who insist on mailing me on yahoo risk being buried under all spam their filters let hrough or ignored, or both... :lol:

Sunflower1970
March 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I use both, but prefer Gmail. As others have said, less spam. If I don't clean out Yahoo daily, my bulk email box can fill to over 1000 messages. Gmail I'm "lucky" if I get 5...My only fear is now that Gmail is opened up to all, will I now get more spam than I did before? If so, I'll be sad.. :(

Speaking of Yahoo. I better go clean out the bulk email..

Pikestaff
March 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I've actually never used Yahoo; I've had a Hotmail account since before it was owned by Microsoft though :p I use both my Hotmail and my Gmail regularly, I prefer Gmail because it gets less spam and has a cleaner look overall... but I still use both!

Adamant1988
March 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I consider gmail to be VASTLY superior, particularly when it comes to dealing with all of the mailing lists I'm on...

Kateikyoushi
March 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yahoo, it has pop, smtp ah yes and already existed when I made my accounts, so I occasionally I use it, tried google wasn't good enough to switch to web based mail.

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I'm really fond of the tag idea in gmail, I find it more useful and flexible than the classic "message in folder(s)". I can have multiple tags for one message ;)

OrangeCrate
March 17th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I use both.

Yahoo as a "junk/general" account, a personal account on Gmail, and my business email address feeds into a Gmail account (for the archiving primarily). Though Gmail acts as the host, it allows me to set my business email address as default for outgoing mail.

Both work fine, except that the new Yahoo Mail beta is s-l-o-w. But, I assume that will shake itself out eventually...

Spr0k3t
March 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM
for spam, dos attacks, and >null... I use hotmail... cause they need to test those servers dammit. If I were to delete all of my messages while logged into hotmail, by the time the messages are deleted and the page has reloaded, I would see at least 20 new messages.

For my primary email, I absolutely love gmail. I have a few extensions that remove whatever ads. I've had my gmail accounts since the incarnation and I've not received 1 spam yet.

Yahoo... I like to call "y<advert>hoo" for obvious reasons. I have a yadverthoo account only for finance.yahoo.com.

justaguynpc
March 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I gave up anything related to yahoo when I rid myself of AOL years ago.

(And, haven't looked back)

It is all the advertising, and "muck".

Nikron
March 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM
nikron.net =P

I use the rouncube webmail thing on my server though.. it looks sweet.

karellen
March 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
yahoo's main strengths are the messenger and the ecosystem that was built in time around the search engine

Stickymaddness
March 17th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I've been using gmail since just after it's launch, and I still like it! I get 1 spam mail a month, if that....

karellen
March 17th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I have 4 gmail accounts :D and 3 of them I use for backup my important files with gmail drive :)

uncletakumi
September 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM
i just switch over to gmail from yahoo. i've used yahoo for a long time now. my office recently block some functions in yahoo mail and i can't even clear my junk mail. also also i found gmail faster. thumbs up for gmail. :)

n3tfury
September 16th, 2007, 03:45 PM
gmail users: remember to https://mail.google.com so your entire session is encrypted, not just during login.