PDA

View Full Version : is my hand numb from using a mouse?

fuscia
March 16th, 2007, 04:03 AM
i guess it's about time i learned some keyboard shortcuts and save the mouse for gimp.

TheRingmaster
March 16th, 2007, 04:16 AM
I have only one thing to say to that.........What?

KiwiNZ
March 16th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Is there a point to this thread or should we close it ?

Kateikyoushi
March 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM
You liked fluxbox, give ratpoison a try and use it with xbindkeys, I love it smallest, fastest and still the most useable.

graabein
March 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I've noticed my hands and fingers being swollen the last couple days. Too much typing on the keyboard. I should get out more even with two trips to the cinema and two concerts this week. Maybe some stretching exercises?

:confused:

ComplexNumber
March 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM
What's wrong with your attitude? You wanna say something?!
i've renamed the thread. the thread title didn't appear to have much point. i think thats what KiwiNZ is referring to.

kerry_s
March 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I'm a mouse person so i click.

yabbadabbadont
March 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM
i've renamed the thread. the thread title didn't appear to have much point. i think thats what KiwiNZ is referring to.

Neither did/does this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385701) one, but I didn't see him threaten to close it... I wonder why? ;)

fuscia
March 16th, 2007, 12:16 PM
"my right hand went numb" + "maybe i should learn some keyboard shortcuts" = abundantly clear. i don't want to know who else uses keyboard shortcuts. if i wanted to know that, i would have asked. i was far more curious about the numbness (which could explain the original title involving my right hand and numbness). for all i know, the numbness could have been from lifting weights yesterday.

Bloodfen Razormaw
March 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Get your keyboard and mouse in a better position so your hand is more relaxed, and reduces rubbing against the table surface. Constant abrasion and twisting your hands will cause numbness. If you are trying to imply you have developed carpal tunnel syndrome, don't worry, it is very highly unlikely you do. A big deal gets made about it but in reality most cases develop in pregnant women.

During a particular development binge a few years ago I developed a numbness in my hand that lasted almost two weeks. A doctor gave me an antiinflammatory but I never even took it. After giving me hands a rest it went away on its own after a few days.

fuscia
March 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM
that's good to know about carpal tunnel syndrome, bloodfen. this is the first incident i've had with this and i suspect it has more to do with my neck than my hand. is there a position that's prefered, or is just changing it more important?

ComplexNumber
March 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
that's good to know about carpal tunnel syndrome, bloodfen. this is the first incident i've had with this and i suspect it has more to do with my neck than my hand. is there a position that's prefered, or is just changing it more important?
this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury), maybe? its probably not carpel tunnel syndrome

fuscia
March 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM
this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury)

this sounds like what it is, to me. i was doing clean&jerks yesterday and then spent a few hours on my laptop. i guess i should break things up a little more. thanks for the link.

for example hand numbness may be caused by a nerve being pinched near the shoulder

ComplexNumber
March 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM
this sounds like what it is, to me. i was doing clean&jerks yesterday and then spent a few hours on my laptop. i guess i should break things up a little more. thanks for the link.
you're welcome for the link. about 5 years ago, there was a spate of reports of RSI(repetitive strain injury) in the media here, so i thought that it almost certainly comes under that umbrella as its meant to be very common.

as an aside, i was listening to some scientist(whos name escapes me, but i think the program was something like The Raith Lectures or something like that) on the radio who was talking about how 2 seemingly unconnected areas of the body are linked in the brain. for example, the palm of the hand is meant to be linked to the forehead area etc. i can't remember much more than that.

fuscia
March 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
the palm of the hand is meant to be linked to the forehead area etc.

left over from our ape ancestors, no doubt.

http://www.gorillagestures.info/images/Zura%20SlapTop.JPG

ComplexNumber
March 16th, 2007, 02:24 PM
hehe yeah, something like that.

Kindred
March 16th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Wait, i'm confused, how do keyboard shortcuts save on typing?

fuscia
March 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Wait, i'm confused, how do keyboard shortcuts save on typing?

they save on mouse usage.

Patrick-Ruff
March 16th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I never felt the need to, I type 130 wpm on a good day, 100 on a normal day. so far I haven't felt any pain in my joints anywhere, not even my wrist. well, my wrists don't move at all most of hte time when I am typing, they are usually elevated a bit. but then again, I don't even type the way you're supposed to. I use 3 fingers on each hand.

edit: I may have misinterpreted this thread ;).

Kateikyoushi
March 16th, 2007, 02:43 PM
You're not alone, I thought wants recommendtation on ways to use keyboard shortcuts, programs etc.

KiwiNZ
March 17th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Thread title changed as per request in Resolution Centre http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385810

SZF2001
March 17th, 2007, 09:13 PM
One word: Trackball.

I'm telling you, after you get used to it conventional mice seem... Annoying. And evil.

fuscia
March 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
i'm finding a lot of cool keyboard shortcuts in both openbox and opera. now, i understand why that warning pops up when using opera in kde. definitely less confusing using opera's shortcuts in openbox.

Trebuchet
March 17th, 2007, 09:43 PM
One word: Trackball.

I'm telling you, after you get used to it conventional mice seem... Annoying. And evil.I'm with you. I loathe mice. They make my wrist ache after only an hour or so. Mice just seem so... 1985. :(

While I've used several Logitech trackballs over the years, Microsoft's Trackball Explorer ($65) is the best controller I've ever used. Fingertip rather than thumb trackball for more precise control, a thumb scrollwheel+button, and 4 other programmable buttons. Unfortunately, I doubt it works with Linux very well although it does work.

TheRingmaster
March 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM
which is better: kensington or logitech for trackball performance?

RedSquirrel
March 19th, 2007, 09:21 PM
which is better: kensington or logitech for trackball performance?

Well, here's my experience:

I have been using a Logitech Marble Mouse (confusing name; it's actually a trackball) for a few months now and I love it. I use keyboard shortcuts for most things, but this device works very well when I reach for it.

I also tried their TrackMan Wheel, but I returned it. It felt awkward and it hurt to use it after a short period of time. The device itself is too high (an uncomfortable curve) and the ball is operated by the thumb, which didn't suit me. The whole device is too small for me as well since I have fairly large hands.

I have also tried a Kensington TurboRing which was mostly a good design, but it seemed to be cheaply made and parts of it broke when I simply tried to remove the ball for cleaning. Not good. I would avoid that one if I were you. I don't think they make that model anymore, but you might still find them on store shelves here & there. The TurboRing is not optical either (both Logitech ones above are).

TheRingmaster
March 20th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Well, here's my experience:

I have been using a Logitech Marble Mouse (confusing name; it's actually a trackball) for a few months now and I love it. I use keyboard shortcuts for most things, but this device works very well when I reach for it.

I also tried their TrackMan Wheel, but I returned it. It felt awkward and it hurt to use it after a short period of time. The device itself is too high (an uncomfortable curve) and the ball is operated by the thumb, which didn't suit me. The whole device is too small for me as well since I have fairly large hands.

I have also tried a Kensington TurboRing which was mostly a good design, but it seemed to be cheaply made and parts of it broke when I simply tried to remove the ball for cleaning. Not good. I would avoid that one if I were you. I don't think they make that model anymore, but you might still find them on store shelves here & there. The TurboRing is not optical either (both Logitech ones above are).
I just bought myself a Logitech Marble Mouse from staples for about 21 buck with tax, no shipping though from staples. This is the only pointing device I will ever use from now on.

(How does this trackball compare with macs mighty mouse--> Just a thought)

TheRingmaster
March 20th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I just bought myself a Logitech Marble Mouse from staples for about 21 buck with tax, no shipping though from staples. This is the only pointing device I will ever use from now on.

(How does this trackball compare with macs mighty mouse--> Just a thought)
I found a pic of the turbo ring and I think that it is butt ugly. haha

20302203.JPG (JPEG Image, 177x150 pixels) (http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/35/c9/7b/20302203.JPG)

Trebuchet
March 20th, 2007, 03:36 AM

(How does this trackball compare with macs mighty mouse--> Just a thought)I still have my Logitech Marble Mouse and it's a great controller. I'm afraid it's been superceded on my system by the Microsoft Trackball Explorer, which is considerably better IMO. The only thing the Marble Mouse has over the Trackball Explorer is that it's truly ambidextrous whereas the Trackball Explorer is designed for right-handed people.

TheRingmaster
March 20th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah, but it is a Microsoft product. Or at least it is licensed by them. plus it seems awkward and stressful. But you use whatever you want

gaspar
March 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I used to love my trackball. But I canīt get used to 3D modeling with one of those, so I need a mouse... until I can buy one of those: :)
http://www.3dconnexion.com/images/sn_box.png

Or a Space Traveller (http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/3a1c.php). Both are difficult to find and expensive here in Brazil. :(

RedSquirrel
March 21st, 2007, 01:04 AM
I found a pic of the turbo ring and I think that it is butt ugly. haha

It's also quite large, I'd say about 2.5 times the size of the Marble Mouse. It was a nice fit for me, but so poorly made it just wasn't worth keeping. (The ball itself reminded me of the blue off a snooker table.)

Good choice. I feel the same way about it. :)

Just out of curiosity, what functions have you set for the buttons?

Right now, I have:

large left button: left-click
large right button: right-click
small left button: middle-click
small right button: drag-lock

The only thing the Marble Mouse has over the Trackball Explorer is that it's truly ambidextrous whereas the Trackball Explorer is designed for right-handed people.

... and the Marble Mouse is much cheaper. ;)

TheRingmaster
March 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
It's also quite large, I'd say about 2.5 times the size of the Marble Mouse. It was a nice fit for me, but so poorly made it just wasn't worth keeping. (The ball itself reminded me of the blue off a snooker table.)

Good choice. I feel the same way about it. :)

Just out of curiosity, what functions have you set for the buttons?

Right now, I have:

large left button: left-click
large right button: right-click
small left button: middle-click
small right button: drag-lock

... and the Marble Mouse is much cheaper. ;)
Well I haven't got the thing yet. I will today. One question: How do you set-up the buttons like you have done? Did you use the software it comes with with wine?

fuscia
March 22nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
using the mouse left-handed is a big plus, in addition to keyboard shortcuts.

RedSquirrel
March 23rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Well I haven't got the thing yet. I will today. One question: How do you set-up the buttons like you have done? Did you use the software it comes with with wine?

Well I was going to suggest How-to Scrollwheel Effect on Logitech trackball (Marble Mouse) (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=169423)
as a good starting point, but I see you've already been there. :)

The links there are helpful, especially:

MOUSE manual page (http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.0/doc/html/mouse.4.html)

For the drag lock, I use

Option "DragLockButtons" "9 1"in the section for the mouse in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

For the middle-click, I use the file ~/.Xmodmap with the following contents:

pointer = 1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2 9 10 11 12 13