PDA

View Full Version : Search engines

LookTJ
March 16th, 2007, 12:05 AM
What is your favorite search engine?

My favorite is Yubnub(http://www.yubnub.org/) because I can use Google, Yahoo etc. through Yubnub.

finferflu
March 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM
yubnub for life! :D

liambre
March 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I'd have to go with google on this one. It's like no other search engine.

me1on
March 16th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Yubnub isn't really a search engine though, it uses other search engines for you. I find it easier to just use the Firefox/Konqueror search bar instead. For example, in Firefox, go to www.google.com, right click the search box, and click "add a keyword for this search." For the name, type "Google," and for the keyword, type "g." Now anytime you want to search Google, you can just type in the address bar "g searchquery." You can do this for an unlimited amount of search engines, so it's really useful. Konqueror has this too, and even takes it a step further, having some extra features and about 50 search keywords preloaded. :)

Anyways, my favorite search engines are Google for general searching, Wikipedia for information, and del.icio.us for finding especially good web pages.

LookTJ
March 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Well, Yubnub is more of a commandline engine.

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 12:33 AM
even if I use google most of the time I like dogpile too...:)
www.dogpile.com

Quillz
March 16th, 2007, 12:37 AM

My favorite is Yubnub(http://www.yubnub.org/) because I can use Google, Yahoo etc. through Yubnub.
Google

finferflu
March 16th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Yubnub isn't really a search engine though, it uses other search engines for you. I find it easier to just use the Firefox/Konqueror search bar instead. For example, in Firefox, go to www.google.com, right click the search box, and click "add a keyword for this search." For the name, type "Google," and for the keyword, type "g." Now anytime you want to search Google, you can just type in the address bar "g searchquery." You can do this for an unlimited amount of search engines, so it's really useful. Konqueror has this too, and even takes it a step further, having some extra features and about 50 search keywords preloaded. :)

Anyways, my favorite search engines are Google for general searching, Wikipedia for information, and del.icio.us for finding especially good web pages.
Actually you can add yubnub to your search bar in FF, Konqueror and Opera, and the nice thing is that most of the commands are already there. They also accept parameters/flags/options. You can use somebody else's command or create your own, it's very nice.

LookTJ
March 16th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Actually you can add yubnub to your search bar in FF, Konqueror and Opera, and the nice thing is that most of the commands are already there. They also accept parameters/flags/options. You can use somebody else's command or create your own, it's very nice.
Of course! Adding bookmarks/keywords is a waste of time.

me1on
March 16th, 2007, 01:12 AM
I gave yubnub another look and I have to say it's pretty useful! I like how there are already hundreds of keywords and how you can create your own and use other people's keywords. I guess I'll be using it a lot from now on. :)

Another thing you can do to instead of adding yubnub to the address bar is make it the default search. In Firefox, type about:config in the address bar, type "keyword.URL" in the filter section, right-click the keyword.URL line and click modify, then type "http://yubnub.org/parser/parse?command=" without quotations. That way, instead of typing something like "yubnub create" in the address bar, you can just type "create." Any other search keywords you have will override the yubnub keyword though.

LookTJ
March 16th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Another thing you can do to instead of adding yubnub to the address bar is make it the default search. In Firefox, type about:config in the address bar, type "keyword.URL" in the filter section, right-click the keyword.URL line and click modify, then type "http://yubnub.org/parser/parse?command=" without quotations. That way, instead of typing something like "yubnub create" in the address bar, you can just type "create." Any other search keywords you have will override the yubnub keyword though.

Any ideas how to make the response time faster?

finferflu
March 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I gave yubnub another look and I have to say it's pretty useful! I like how there are already hundreds of keywords and how you can create your own and use other people's keywords. I guess I'll be using it a lot from now on. :)

Welcome aboard me1on! I actually prefer using it only in the search bar, because I like how the default redirection works in Firefox: type the name of the service/website you're looking for, and you get automatically redirected there. Straight and nice :)

Any ideas how to make the response time faster?
Response depends on the yubnub's server, I guess there's not much you can do about it.. maybe donating to Jon? :D

RAV TUX
March 16th, 2007, 01:46 AM

My favorite is Yubnub(http://www.yubnub.org/) because I can use Google, Yahoo etc. through Yubnub.I have been using YubNub exclusively for years, but YubNub is not just a search engine but it is a command line for the web.

YubNub is a command line for the web that defaults to a Google search...

but you can use the command before your search of

gym searchterm

to triple split your screen into 3 search fields between Google, Yahoo, and MSN Search

likewise you can do a "Super Image Search" by using the command:

s.i searchterm

to triple split your screen between Google Images, Yahoo Images, and flickr

see the samples below:

also the command line for ubuntuforums,org is:

ubfo

finferflu
March 16th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I have been using YubNub exclusively for years, but YubNub is not just a search engine but it is a command line for the web.

YubNub is a command line for the web that defaults to a Google search...

but you can use the command before your search of

to triple split your screen into 3 search fields between Google, Yahoo, and MSN Search

likewise you can do a "Super Image Search" by using the command:

to triple split your screen between Google Images, Yahoo Images, and flickr

see the samples below:

also the command line for ubuntuforums,org is:
Oh yeah! Thanks for sharing those commands, I didn't know yubnub could split my screen as well! Another reason to stick with it!

LookTJ
March 16th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I actually found the gym by "ls google" and "ls yahoo".

Spr0k3t
March 16th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I'm a google nut. Meaning, not only do I use Google for searching, but I use Google for everything I do at work, home, school, work, sleep, you name it. The only thing I use Yahoo for is finance.yahoo.com because they have that right. I go there after checking investment strategies over at fool.com and finance.google.com though. When yahoo stops with their in-your-face advertisements, I'd consider using it more.

Yubnub? Pass.

RAV TUX
March 16th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I'm a google nut. Meaning, not only do I use Google for searching, but I use Google for everything I do at work, home, school, work, sleep, you name it. The only thing I use Yahoo for is finance.yahoo.com because they have that right. I go there after checking investment strategies over at fool.com and finance.google.com though. When yahoo stops with their in-your-face advertisements, I'd consider using it more.

Yubnub? Pass.YubNub defaults to a Google search engine.....

unless you have a fear of "command lines" then use plain vanilla Google....otherwise empower your search engine with YubNub.....YubNub is Google infused with a Commaand Line for the web.

Again if you fear command lines then YubNub is not for you...

golem3
March 16th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Why would anyone vote for Yahoo???????? :confused:

RAV TUX
March 16th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Why would anyone vote for Yahoo???????? :confused:Yahoo actually owns a sizable share of Google, honestly using the "GYM" command prompt in YubNub, Yahoo consistently gives me better, more relevant search results then Google.

As a search engine alone Google sucks.

NotPhil
March 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM
What is your favorite search engine?At the risk of being the lone voice in the wilderness, I kinda like Exalead. (http://www.exalead.com/search/homepage) But, then again, I've been told that I'm a little strange.

finferflu
March 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Weird... Linux people that despise a command line community based search engine... Maybe because Ubuntu tries to avoid command line... perhaps I should as the Slackware community :D

tigerpants
March 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Altavista. It holds all the search patents that Google and Yahoo use for their search engines, and it's not as annoying as either of them. I find Altavista much better at pinning down searches.

finferflu
March 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Altavista was once my homepage! I still use it to find audio files. But still, I can't find anything annoying with Google. Yahoo is *very* annoying instead, with all those useless articles and advertisements...

BWF89
March 17th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I've used Google almost exclusively for the last so many years. Than last week all of a sudden I started using Yahoo.

I use the Firefox search bar most of the time.

23meg
March 17th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Vivisimo has been the best search engine in my experience.

http://clusty.com/

Spr0k3t
March 18th, 2007, 03:57 AM
...Again if you fear command lines then YubNub is not for you...

I prefer the terminal to mouse... I'm still not a fan of yubnub. I have my own methods of searching anyway. One search I use traverses 100 unique links of google and compares the result against links found on five other search engines with the same query. I'll add more when I get the template plugin system worked out. The unique links not found in google (generally about 5 to 10 links) are then thrown into a new session of firefox. More often than not, the resulting DeepSearch comes back with useless results and I stick with the information found on google for what I'm looking for. So in reality, yubnub restricts my searching practices rather than expanding on them. Gotta love java for doing what it does well.

atdi4ever
March 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM
i havent used anything besides google since i knew what google was.