PDA

View Full Version : new battery in a samsung v20

dninja
March 15th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I've just bought a new battery for my samsung v20 (pentium 2ghz version) and the laptop refuses to charge it. The charging light comes on, both windows and linux recognise that there is a battery in there but no charge gets into the battery. I've checked the battery by its own onboard charge checker and various bits of software.

The battery isn't an original samsung and the shop that sold it to me told me that some laptops will only charge their own brand of battery. This is the second one I've tried and the original battery charges fine.

I've just upgraded the bios to 13de from the samsung website but if it is the bios that is stopping the charging then that won't help anyway. Can anyone suggest anything?

hardyn
March 16th, 2007, 12:15 AM
thats a tough one...

the old one charges? so we can rule out the notebook?
there is some funny things about batteries...
i hadn't heard about branded battery thing, but it is possible (they do contain a firmware, they can check that)

- you may have got a bad battery... always possible.
- Li-ion battery have a shelf life... new or used... a new old battery isn't any better than an old batter that has had the stuffing kicked out of it, you may have got a really old battery.
- it might be a really poor replacement battery... and is just plain manufactured incorrectly.

return it and get a samsung battery... it cant be THAT much more than this generic that you bought.

good luck.

dninja
March 16th, 2007, 12:26 AM
This one is the second, the company happily swapped out the first one when I said that it wasn't charging. Unless they got a bad batch then its probably something else. I know you can't tell on the web but the company seems like a good one, I've spoken on the phone a couple of times and their service has been good. The battery is in good condition but it is a LION one.

Something odd is that windows battery manage reports both as samsung originals when the second definitely isn't. I wonder if it is bios related and the laptop is putting something in between what the battery reports and what it reports.

From what I've seen samsung ones are about double the price.