PDA

View Full Version : So, did anyone notice that Ubuntu.com and sub-sites sport new designs?

mostwanted
March 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
http://ubuntu.com

It looks great! Very professional and slick.

Quillz
March 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I like the new board design.

karellen
March 15th, 2007, 11:11 PM
cool, better than the design before

banjobacon
March 15th, 2007, 11:11 PM
The Fridge still uses the old layout (for now), in case someone wants to do a side-by-side comparison. http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

I like the change.

Condoulo
March 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah, looks a lot more organized. I love what Ubuntu has done with the new design.
Speaking of which, I wonder when the new Mozilla Addons Site is coming out

Condoulo
March 15th, 2007, 11:14 PM
The Fridge still uses the old layout (for now), in case someone wants to do a side-by-side comparison. http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

I like the change.

I wonder why they would update everything but the Fridge? :confused:

Lord Illidan
March 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Slick, but I don't like red fonts...

banjobacon
March 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I wonder why they would update everything but the Fridge? :confused:

Planet Ubuntu still lacks the new design, too. They probably just didn't get to it yet.

Cloudy
March 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Looks quite nice!

Condoulo
March 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Planet Ubuntu still lacks the new design, too. They probably just didn't get to it yet.

True. They probably wanted to update the main parts of the site first as well.

Skia_42
March 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM
The forums also look good. Although it is hard to notice unless one has been using Ubuntu for a while.

LookTJ
March 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM
It looks better than the old designs. Very slick!

Quillz
March 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, looks a lot more organized. I love what Ubuntu has done with the new design.
Speaking of which, I wonder when the new Mozilla Addons Site is coming out
They're redesigning that? I wonder why. It's not bad how it is now...

Dr. Nick
March 15th, 2007, 11:34 PM
April 1st is coming, think we will get any surprises this year?

I like the new look, the border all around is very slick

rolando2424
March 15th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I like the design of the forums :D

Lord Illidan
March 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM
April 1st is coming, think we will get any surprises this year?

OMG!!! PONIES!!

justaguynpc
March 16th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I mistakingly thought it was just me who thought the forums had changed. Maybe it was just a touch of "Spring Fever" perhaps.

I like it ................. alot.

Condoulo
March 16th, 2007, 12:45 AM
They're redesigning that? I wonder why. It's not bad how it is now...

From what it says at addons.mozilla.org, a new addons Site for Mozilla applications happens to be coming out soon. Planned for last month but got delayed.

eXcentra
March 16th, 2007, 12:54 AM
looks great! imo, the last one was a bit too busy.

Kateikyoushi
March 16th, 2007, 01:01 AM
The new design looks very good and more professional than the old one, ubuntu.com really deserved this. The forum looks better than ever and it was one of the best looking forums already.

TheOtherLinuxFreak
March 16th, 2007, 02:02 AM
it looks great!:)

The Noble
March 16th, 2007, 02:59 AM
This is the most beautiful site design I have seen in a while. It doesn't take too much time to load, it gets the point across, and it has its own flavor with the nice brown color. I really can't express how much I like this. If this is what Mark has been paying someone to work on for a while, I must say that it was a good investment.

adam.tropics
March 16th, 2007, 03:32 AM
From what it says at addons.mozilla.org, a new addons Site for Mozilla applications happens to be coming out soon. Planned for last month but got delayed.

Yeah, this redesign of theirs has gone on a bit! They have suffered several delays, and then just as they thought they were sorted, testing their servers showed they needed further tweaking to handle the kind of loads they expect. So in the end the date was set for yesterday. Then yesterday, they decided that they would postpone again until March 22nd because of a firefox release coinciding with proposed changes, which they thought, probably rightly, would be a bad idea. Anyway, I suppose we'll see on Thursday if they have pulled it off. The new site is good though, and worth the effort they have put in. You can check it out now here. (http://preview.addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/)

Phatfiddler
March 16th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Looks great, except that it only looks good in Firefox for me. The images refuse to load in Opera and the spacing is way off. Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: Nvm, Opera doesnt seem to like any webpage at the moment.

steven8
March 16th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Very professional and slick.

I never thought it looked unprofessional, but I do like the new design very much.

C-A
March 16th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I like the layout but do not view the brown border as a step forward.

shareMenaPeace
March 16th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I guess this is just temporary but ubuntu.com just gives me a white page!

shareMenaPeace
March 16th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Now i can see it, it's better.
The centre is a little empty though and the right bar font i woul dmake orange instead of red.
Also the header height i would always make same height.

I miss the asian guy with the headphones though ...

Cheers

guitarmaniac
March 16th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I really like it, everytime i log on to ubuntuforums I think something has changed but it was DEFINITLY different this morning.
Like everything but the red fonts.
Also server seems a big buggy or something, half the threads I pull up say they have a database error at the bottom... odd.

Quillz
March 16th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Looks great, except that it only looks good in Firefox for me. The images refuse to load in Opera and the spacing is way off. Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: Nvm, Opera doesnt seem to like any webpage at the moment.
I'm using Opera 2 Build 577 right now and it loads and looks fine.

Somenoob
March 16th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Better than the older one for sure.

FyreBrand
March 16th, 2007, 06:36 AM
It looks really nice. I think it's a nice improvement in navigation too. The forums are looking pretty slick too.

Iarwain ben-adar
March 16th, 2007, 07:27 AM
It's nice to see a difference..

It fits with 6.10 i think, it's slick :D

The previous design looked more like 5.10 or so :oops:

Iarwain

Quillz
March 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
It's nice to see a difference..

It fits with 6.10 i think, it's slick :D

The previous design looked more like 5.10 or so :oops:

Iarwain
So will there be another redesign in a month's time when 7.04 debuts?

rennen01
March 16th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Definitely love the new design of the website.

mal
March 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Is anyone else having problems with misalignment of the forums border at the top of the page when viewed in IE6?

(I know, I know, why would anyone want to use IE?? Unfortunately, I am stuck with this at work!!)

Mal

graabein
March 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Now i can see it, it's better.
The centre is a little empty though and the right bar font i woul dmake orange instead of red.
Also the header height i would always make same height.

I miss the asian guy with the headphones though ...

Cheers

My thoughts exactly. You seem very wise!

Kindred
March 16th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I like everything but the navigation bar with the red arrows up the top right. It needs some more top and bottom padding and i'm not really liking the red arrows anyway. I'm not fond of the 'Go' button either. Otherwise, it's good. :)

Rui Pais
March 16th, 2007, 09:08 AM
well, 38 post before and i'm the only one who didn't like it :(

looks like a web site of some local radio station... on they first days... a lot of empty spaces.
that only pic is horrible... the guy is singing, praying or doing some commercial? look like it's announcing some religous musical festival, to me.

And it's to much brown. I thought that ubuntu was tunning more to mix orange and lately a pink tone... well brown it's better then pink... but there is too much white, and the brown frame waste space.

Lord Illidan
March 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM

looks like a web site of some local radio station... on they first days... a lot of empty spaces.
that only pic is horrible... the guy is singing, praying or doing some commercial? look like it's announcing some religous musical festival, to me.

And it's to much brown. I thought that ubuntu was tunning more to mix orange and lately a pink tone... well brown it's better then pink... but there is too much white, and the brown frame waste space.

You mean this : http://www.ubuntu.com/themes/ubuntu07/images/masthead-ulive.jpg

It's just a guy giving a speech at a convention : that's why it is Ubuntu LIVE!!!

ade234uk
March 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Now what genius decided to put the download link on the homepage?
Great to see some common sense and user friendlyness appear on the site. This is what newbies need.

Lord Illidan
March 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Now what genius decided to put the download link on the homepage?
Great to see some common sense and user friendlyness appear on the site. This is what newbies need.

Good idea, but I'd also like to see a more defined link to these forums. It takes around 3 clickthroughs to get here from ubuntu.com

Iarwain ben-adar
March 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
So will there be another redesign in a month's time when 7.04 debuts?

I don't know..

I was just comparing :D
Would be nice though, but quite costly..

Iarwain

Rui Pais
March 16th, 2007, 02:36 PM
You mean this : http://www.ubuntu.com/themes/ubuntu07/images/masthead-ulive.jpg

It's just a guy giving a speech at a convention : that's why it is Ubuntu LIVE!!!

hi,
yes, it's just a guy giving a speech to announce a convention but had to much impact on first page of the site.
It's the only image, apart much smaller icons, not a much interesting image and should be located somewhere else, on events announcements or something like.

Old site had several images pointing/evoking the friendly humanly nature of Ubuntu, like people "doing" the logo with the arms or the above mentioned nice and friendly asiatic guy.

Icons where big and give a better look, specially the computer with the brown screen - so ubuntu like, then the small, too tangoish, now.

Ubuntu general icon, too, is excessively small, flat and completely lost in the whiteness on top of page, with no impact or relevance.

Patrick-Ruff
March 16th, 2007, 02:39 PM
looks like we're finally picking up some mac-like innovation! (don't flame me, everyone knows that mac is the more artistic os out of all of them.) I really like the new look, it's gone very far.

Patrick-Ruff
March 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
also, I thnk the website should have a large noticable link to the forums on it ;). seems like the perfect touch don't you think?

tgrisier
March 16th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Although I've only been around here for about a week, I must say the the new design is nicer. Much easier to understand. At least for me.

daynah
March 16th, 2007, 03:54 PM

I was reading through the thread, too, just like a little human, desperately searching for someone else like me who didn't like it.

I noticed the forums and thought they were gorgeous. I thought it was just the forums, I didn't even think to check the main site. The forums make me love brown. :) Brown is completely the new black. ;)

But the main site, like you said Rui Pais, makes me wonder if I went to the right webpage, and makes me eyes dart to many different parts of the page because there's a HUGE amount of white space between each part. I know negative space is the "in" thing in webdesign, but it needs to be balanced over the whole thing.

Ha! I tried narrowing my browser window and it closed the white space up and make it look a billion times better!

Attached is what I'm seeing (ubuntuwide is what I don't like, ubuntunarrow would be nice, just constrict the CSS, and yes that's a TARDIS in the backrground! Yay!)

Dr. Nick
March 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
red font on forums is gone, I barely noticed

Lord Illidan
March 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Gone? I don't think so..

EDIT, I meant to attach an image but for some reason it tells me that the png I am trying to upload is off quota by 13.3 MB!! The png is only 312.8 kb in size.

Dr. Nick
March 16th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Gone? I don't think so:

Well some of it atleast, guess not all.

I noticed the some was gone, mainly the time ago a reply was made, now brown but I remember it red yesterday.

Moeru
March 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM
It does look nice. I'll nth the forums things though. I don't even bother going to ubuntu.com anymore. Just hit up ubuntuforums.org instead since its such a pain to get to :(

ubnoobie
March 19th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Good idea, but I'd also like to see a more defined link to these forums. It takes around 3 clickthroughs to get here from ubuntu.com

no one-click link from ubuntu.com to the wiki either.

the redesign coincided with a changeover to drupal on the back-end.. reference the <head>: @import "/misc/drupal.css"; used to run plone... found a bit more info here (http://www.bearfruit.org/blog/2007/03/14/the-new-ubuntu-website/). they're also taking bug reports (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-website) on the new site.

i liked the 'old' design better... but maybe that's just me.

cowlip
March 19th, 2007, 03:10 AM
no one-click link from ubuntu.com to the wiki either.

the redesign coincided with a changeover to drupal on the back-end.. reference the <head>: @import "/misc/drupal.css"; used to run plone... found a bit more info here (http://www.bearfruit.org/blog/2007/03/14/the-new-ubuntu-website/). they're also taking bug reports (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-website) on the new site.

i liked the 'old' design better... but maybe that's just me.

I agree, I even had a bit of trouble finding the wiki from the "support" page.... I'm not a fan of Ubuntu's tango icons regardless so I won't comment on those :) The downloading process is very easy now. I really like the border too. I wonder if it's possible to give the menu entries in the top right each (+ the entries that they drop down) their own icons so it's easier to tell apart right away.